Fabio da Silva | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I feel next season he will get more oppertunites with Neville out, but you're completely nuts when you imply Fabio beats O'Shea for utility. Put Fabio at centreback or in goal and he's doomed, and even allowing for mitigating the wing factor O'Shea can cover a greater depth of positions and his experience, positional awareness and discipline allows him to get ahead of Fabio in both fullback positions.

When it comes down to it I'd rather play O'Shea on the wing than Fabio at centreback.
I didn't say that - I said he's 'potentially' a rich man's O'Shea.

Which he is. He can take up either side of the pitch as a full back, play on the wing and in centre midfield from what we've seen so far.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Biggest worry is their "height" though its never stopped Patrice. But Fergie seem to have mentioned a height issue with players the past two matches.

Alex

Biggest worry is their "height" though its never stopped Patrice. But Fergie seem to have mentioned a height issue with players the past two matches.
The best player in the world is five foot nothing, if height is their biggest worry they are going to be some players

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
The best player in the world is five foot nothing, if height is their biggest worry they are going to be some players
Fabio is a defender though...Height is a concern.

Alex

Not really, especially considering he has just as good a chance of making it on the wing imo

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Fabio is a defender though...Height is a concern.
Cole, Lahm, Evra and Carlos aren't exactly huge and all of them have had good careers at full back positions. Actually I would say those tall full backs usually look more clumsy on the ball thus they offer less offensively.

Ringo 07

Would be great if he made it as a winger as it would save us a few quid. But at least next season if Evra is out for a while then it wont be such a big deal!

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Would be great if he made it as a winger as it would save us a few quid. But at least next season if Evra is out for a while then it wont be such a big deal!
Can't imagine him making it as a full time winger.

Both the twins and Evra are all action players, and lack composure in and around the penalty area.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
I bet he'd provide decent cover as a striker too if we were short.
He reacted better to the rebound than Berba, just that Berba was closer to it. He's a cracking prospect.

Sultan

They certainly add nuisance value to the opposition. The twins must be a nightmare to play against. Arsenal game being a prime example.

KingEric7

Both the twins and Evra are all action players, and lack that composure in and around the penalty area.
I get the impression that, though we haven't been able to judge him as thoroughly as Rafael, Fabio's a little bit different in this aspect.

He's got an awful lot of ability with the ball at his feet, and I don't think it's beyond him. It's early days though; we've no idea how his career will shape up, though I'd like to think we've seen enough to justify getting excited about his career here with us.

Sultan

I get the impression that, though we haven't been able to judge him as thoroughly as Rafael, Fabio's a little bit different in this aspect.

He's got an awful lot of ability with the ball at his feet, and I don't think it's beyond him. It's early days though; we've no idea how his career will shape up, though I'd like to think we've seen enough to justify getting excited about his career here with us.
Absolutely.

Cina

I'd love if he could adapt to being a winger. Both of them running up the right wing would be hilarious, and damned confusing.

notiboiboi

Both the twins and Evra are all action players, and lack composure in and around the penalty area.
I doubt this is the case. Maybe Rafael dosen't have that composure in and out the penalty area, but from what i seen of Fabio, he seems to be different from all the other full backs in that sense.
Fabio is a genuinely talented attacking player, and i believe he will rack up goals for us if he ever played on the wing for us, just like how he has scored plenty of goals for all his previous teams.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
I doubt this is the case. Maybe Rafael dosen't have that composure in and out the penalty area, but from what i seen of Fabio, he seems to be different from all the other full backs in that sense.
Fabio is a genuinely talented attacking player, and i believe he will rack up goals for us if he ever played on the wing for us, just like how he has scored plenty of goals for all his previous teams.
I have to agree, Rafael looks to lack some composure but fable v Wigan was a classy finish, something I don't think rafael could do...

SecondFig

Don't forget Fabio's always been quite the goal scoring full back, got a a hat-trick for the reserves a couple of seasons ago (despite missing a penalty in the same game) and was top scorer in a youth tournament for Brazil before signing for us.

That said, I still think both are far better as attacking full backs than as out and out wingers. It's great to have the option to stick them there when needed (as against Arsenal) but I'd prefer to see both usually used as full backs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They're both superb footballers. Rafael does look to be a gifted tackler. Like all young defenders he can be reckless with when to go in hard and when not to, but purely in terms of ability as a tackler he is very very good.

From what I've seen of Fabio, and no doubt we'll all be in a better position to judge him as time goes on, he definitely looks very talented on the ball. He seems to have more going for him going forwards than his brother. Looks very comfortable on the ball.

In the end they are two really really talented young footballers. Rafael is going to be a monster right back. Fabio will also end up a good player although I'm not sure in what exact capacity. But he seems to have enough talent to do a lot of different jobs. Hopefully he ends up being able to do one really well.

Berlinknives

But he is a more offensive version of O'Shea obviously. He might be able to cover a few different areas of the pitch in a more advanced role - he should be comfortable on either flank both in midfield and defence and could occassionally fill in as a central midfielder.

I don't think O'Shea is particularly good at defending when it comes to playing at full back position but since he is rather poor offensively people seem to think he is going to be great defensively, it's like lack of one thing has to result in presence of another, or the other way around. He's hard to get past but once you've done that it's over because he isn't dynamic enough to make it up. I'm not at all saying that he's poor defensively, he's actually decent but from the amount of praise he receives on here for his defensive solidity you would think he's Maldini.

Fabio can definitely get ahead of him at full back, so can Rafael.
When you say someone isn't particularly good at defending, and clarify with the phrase he's not poor defending, then I think you're not very good at making opinions. O'Shea is a good defender and has proven to be reliable there in over 300 games for United, to say otherwise is folly. Offensively he's scored nearly 10 goals, he's had over 20 assists in his career, including key goals against Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham ... he probably doesn't run at people but then neither does Berbatov, neither does Scholes, neither does Vidic or Van der Sar (in terms of closing people down).

This is very short sighted thinking here.

Berlinknives

I didn't say that - I said he's 'potentially' a rich man's O'Shea.

Which he is. He can take up either side of the pitch as a full back, play on the wing and in centre midfield from what we've seen so far.
probably Hargreaves/Phil Neville would be a better comparison, Fabio can't play center back. He's not been used there like Gabriel Heinze or Paul Parker.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
Did you see that goal against Arsenal?
I did and will probably never forget the impact he had in the 2-1 loss. However this came from an instinctual snap shot from outside the box with his weaker foot. A brilliant piece of technique.

Fabio dropping his shoulder to make it look like his is shooting across goal and then as the keeper barely moves to that side hits the ball with the inside of his boot to where the keeper left shows incredibly composure of someone who has done that before. I'm not sure in the same situation rafael could do that, he just seems a bit excited when shooting on goal. Just to me, Fabio looks much a more composed finisher in the box and explains alot to why he was the co-leading scorer for Brazil in the U-17(iirc) tournament.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
When you say someone isn't particularly good at defending, and clarify with the phrase he's not poor defending, then I think you're not very good at making opinions. O'Shea is a good defender and has proven to be reliable there in over 300 games for United, to say otherwise is folly. Offensively he's scored nearly 10 goals, he's had over 20 assists in his career, including key goals against Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham ... he probably doesn't run at people but then neither does Berbatov, neither does Scholes, neither does Vidic or Van der Sar (in terms of closing people down).

This is very short sighted thinking here.
By not particularly good I meant not as good as some of the top players in his position, probably a poor choice of words really as English isn't my first language. I think he is a competent defender but not really streets ahead of players like Fabio and Rafael, better than them but not by that much (mainly talking about Rafael because we have seen too little of Fabio to judge him properly).

KingEric7

probably Hargreaves/Phil Neville would be a better comparison, Fabio can't play center back. He's not been used there like Gabriel Heinze or Paul Parker.
I just meant that he could potentially play at the highest level in a few positions. Hargreaves probably would've been the better comparison, yep.

Alex

I could see it, which is funny because I think Rafael despite having a similar skill set takes more to the defensive aspect of the game, while Fabio the offensive, not that Rafa is poor by any means going forward. I really like the determination that Fabio drives forward with, inspires the side to get forward

Minkaro

I could see it, which is funny because I think Rafael despite having a similar skill set takes more to the defensive aspect of the game, while Fabio the offensive, not that Rafa is poor by any means going forward. I really like the determination that Fabio drives forward with, inspires the side to get forward
Against Blackpool, and at times against Bolton, I noticed Fabio neck and neck with our striker. When Berbatov scored his goal against Bolton, Fabio was right there waiting for a possible tap-in himself. He just loves to get forward.

I wouldn't be adverse to seeing him as a winger, but I'd like him to have game experience at leftback as well, so when it comes time to replace Evra, he'll be there.

Not that I envision Evra leaving us any time soon.

Redfighter

Officially gullible
At the secret training camp for United Militia
I think people are getting in a fuss about the height comments Fergie made recently. The issue on Saturday was clearly that they had designated players to mark and O'Shea coming off meant that they needed to replace his height to mark a certain player from set pieces. This is why Hernandez was sacrificed for Berbatov. 1 tall, 1 short off, 1 tall, 1 short on.

It's not so much of an issue when we have Carrick, Vidic, Smalling, Fletcher on the pitch. Although with Hernandez ability in the air I'd have thought that he offered a better bet than Berbatov defending and attacking set pieces.

Shimo

I think people are getting in a fuss about the height comments Fergie made recently. The issue on Saturday was clearly that they had designated players to mark and O'Shea coming off meant that they needed to replace his height to mark a certain player from set pieces. This is why Hernandez was sacrificed for Berbatov. 1 tall, 1 short off, 1 tall, 1 short on.

It's not so much of an issue when we have Carrick, Vidic, Smalling, Fletcher on the pitch. Although with Hernandez ability in the air I'd have thought that he offered a better bet than Berbatov defending and attacking set pieces.
Berba offensively against set pieces isn't one to scare defenses but, defensively he usually is very solid which was the main reason Saturday - cause Bolton on set pieces are very dangerous.

Berlinknives

I ignored the height comments mentioning Parker and Heinze who were used in the centre-back position despite their height. Fabio hasn't been tried there, short of perhaps the enforced back three against Bolton, and even then wasn't tested there..

Brophs

The One and Only
Thought he did really well today. Stood up well and kept offering up going forward. Good to see him do the full 90 too.

JezChan

Great play for our penalty! When he first started, he looked like he lacked confidence. Now the twins are really playing their hearts out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.