Fabio da Silva | 2012/13 Performances (on loan at QPR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I watched the game and I have to tell you Fabio was absolutely sensational. He looked like a seasoned veteran who still had the spring of the step of a 20 year old. Far above the level I've seen in Buttner so far.

A few more performances like this and Fabio will be back at OT next season.

I'll admit Baines is much better than Fabio right now, but I question the proffered rationale for spending 15m for Baines, a proposition I did not question a few days ago.

Swaters16

I watched the game and I have to tell you Fabio was absolutely sensational. He looked like a seasoned veteran who still had the spring of the step of a 20 year old. Far above the level I've seen in Buttner so far.

I'll admit Baines is much better than Fabio right now, but I question the proffered rationale for spending 15m for Baines, a proposition I did not question a few days ago.
Well we all know Fabio has the talent because we've seen it and his brother. Fabio used to be the more talented one didn't he?

After starting a champions league final for us you can only hope he returns to Old Trafford and makes the left back spot his own, taking the handles from Evra as we ease out a legend.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Well we all know Fabio has the talent because we've seen it and his brother. Fabio used to be the more talented one didn't he?

After starting a champions league final for us you can only hope he returns to Old Trafford and makes the left back spot his own, taking the handles from Evra as we ease out a legend.
You're correct. It was actually Fabio and not Rafael that was the higher rated of the 2 when they joined.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy

Yes, Fabio was The One.

The more I think the through the more I cling to the conclusion that we can't cut Fabio loose. He needs to come this summer and take the torch from Evra.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

His talent was never in doubt, him making it in our squad will depend on him staying fit. As long as he manages to stay injury free, he'll be up here amongst the best left back in the league in a few years time.

redpie

I think we just have to trust Fabio now at right-back. It is up to Smalling and Jones to concentrate on becoming the next central partnership.

kps88

We should play Fabio against West Ham in the cup to give Evra a rest.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
We should play Fabio against West Ham in the cup to give Evra a rest.
Surely WUM? He is on loan?

On a more serious note, I would love to see Fabio succeed here and hope he gets a run of games at QPR especially after last night as well. If he can kick on and get games for the latter half of the season and get some form behind him to return to OT, i don't see why with Evra another year older and Buttner still very inexperienced Fabio would not challenge for no1 spot

Rossa

Imo, Evra is still better than Baines and Fabio has more talent than Baines. Therefore, there should be no point in signing someone.

Fabio can certainly succeed, and I think next year he will get game time on the left and right back position. If Evra continues his form, there is no need to ship him off.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I have nothing against Buttner but what was the point in signing him when Evra's starting every single game and is not being rested at all? Doesn't look like Fergie trusts him too much

Rossa

I have nothing against Buttner but what was the point in signing him when Evra's starting every single game and is not being rested at all? Doesn't look like Fergie trusts him too much
Evra playing very well this season and not looking tired coupled with Büttner looking a bit of a hazard at times perhaps?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Evra playing very well this season and not looking tired coupled with Büttner looking a bit of a hazard at times perhaps?
Possible but I thought he looked fairly good the last time he played against Cluj. If nothing else I wouldn't mind him getting a run out as a left winger with Young on the right. Just seems strange, if all we were going to do was play him in the league cup and meaningless cl games then it would have been better of giving game time to one reserve Lb's than sign him

Swaters16

I guess that was the plan, Evra had been poor the last few seasons and Fabio needed constant game time, so Fabio went on loan and we signed back up for Evra who for all we knew wouldn't be performing well this season. However Evra is currently playing his best football in quite a while and there's no need to drop him.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Strange post, you ask what was the point in signing him and then say SAF does not trust him as he does not get many first team games? How do you know that? Perhaps he never bought him to instantly challenge Evra?

More someone to play in smaller cup games etc and get a bit of experience while Fabio is out?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Strange post, you ask what was the point in signing him and then say SAF does not trust him as he does not get many first team games? How do you know that? Perhaps he never bought him to instantly challenge Evra?

More someone to play in smaller cup games etc and get a bit of experience while Fabio is out?
If we just wanted someone to play in the league cup games could that someone not have been someone like Blackett for instance? He gets more experience and Evra gets rested at the same time.

This might just be me but I thought the purpose of signing Buttner was to reduce the ridiculous number of games Evra gets through each season and yet despite having Buttner, Evra has started all the games in the Holiday period.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
If we just wanted someone to play in the league cup games could that someone not have been someone like Blackett for instance? He gets more experience and Evra gets rested at the same time.

This might just be me but I thought the purpose of signing Buttner was to reduce the ridiculous number of games Evra gets through each season and yet despite having Buttner, Evra has started all the games in the Holiday period.
I would have also hope Buttner was bought with that intent, I am just saying we cannot presume, and I would also agree someone like Tyler would be a better prospect, but Buttners potential could be fairly high also, he has the pace and the hardwork, just needs to improve defensively and positionally.

It wouldn't be ridiculous to say though, we have seen Evra's form this season better that of the previous 2 for himself, you could put part of this down to him feeling he has more competition.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
I'd imagine Evra is getting through his now customary massive amounts of games because we've been mostly unable to field a consistent defence otherwise. All of our centre backs + Rafael have been injured at various times.

Further, I'd imagine the idea of Fabio going out on loan was to see how he handled a full season with a long run of games in a side, to see if he's ready to take the mantle from Evra who has been slowing down for a while.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Yeah, Dennis Irwin was awful as is Lahm when playing on the left. Most left wingers today are right footed, so why can't that work for Fabio in the fullback position? He is just about two-footed anyhow.
For me, that's a silly comment about the left footed thing, akin to the Redcafe's oh so famous 'Needs to bulk up', why would you prefer a left footed left back? Maybe a left footed LW to stretch play to the byline and cross on his outter foot, but when you have a decent young lad who looks a real prospect, they comment on his playing foot?

Rossa

For me, that's a silly comment about the left footed thing, akin to the Redcafe's oh so famous 'Needs to bulk up', why would you prefer a left footed left back? Maybe a left footed LW to stretch play to the byline and cross on his outter foot, but when you have a decent young lad who looks a real prospect, they comment on his playing foot?
Agreed!

Maybe because some people must put in a negative comment no matter? Fact is that Fabio is an excellent talent, two-footed and can cross just about as well with his left foot as many left footed fullbacks can.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
To be fair there's nothing wrong with wanting a left footed left back. When we had Irwin, we still had Ryan Giggs in his prime providing us width down the left. That's no longer the case anymore. Most of our width down the left hand side is now provided by Evra going on the outside of whoever is playing on the left wing. But as Rossa said Fabio looks very two footed so it shouldn't be an issue

Ekeke

Because of one match? Well mainly one half. Because he was just okay in the first

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I was saying this when we first signed him. Didn't see the point of the signing so much as I still expect Fabio to come back and take the spot from evra eventually. Buttner for me is a bit of a stop gap signing to fill the void in case evra got injured at some point during the season. We basically went for another young player in the end so he could become evra's understudy and then potentially provide competition for Fabio when evra finally does leave.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Yeah, Dennis Irwin was awful as is Lahm when playing on the left. Most left wingers today are right footed, so why can't that work for Fabio in the fullback position? He is just about two-footed anyhow.
Agreed!

Maybe because some people must put in a negative comment no matter? Fact is that Fabio is an excellent talent, two-footed and can cross just about as well with his left foot as many left footed fullbacks can.
To be fair there's nothing wrong with wanting a left footed left back. When we had Irwin, we still had Ryan Giggs in his prime providing us width down the left. That's no longer the case anymore. Most of our width down the left hand side is now provided by Evra going on the outside of whoever is playing on the left wing. But as Rossa said Fabio looks very two footed so it shouldn't be an issue
Personally, i have seen little evidence of this at all. He's very dependent on his right side. I think he has a lot of work to do on his left to convince me that he isn't a right back. Lahm and Irwin are/were world class players who can show that it can work, but Fabio is miles behind either of those two.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Let's hope he stays fit and really kicks on now. When we signed the twins, Fab was supposed the be the real gem.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
This is exactly why a team like ours might need a left footed left back, however if Fabio is capable of providing width and cross it with his left, then no worries. I honestly can't remember what Fabio's left is like but it would appear as if he is quite two footed reading some of the comments.

I just hope we'll one day be able to field both Rafael and Fabio and both of them being some of the best on their respective positions :drool:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I don't think it's silly at all. Granted Irwin and Lahm were/are terrific left backs but when you have a right footed left winger that already needs to cut in to cross the ball it's a nicer balance to have a left footer on the overlap to whip it in first time.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
This is exactly why a team like ours might need a left footed left back, however if Fabio is capable of providing width and cross it with his left, then no worries. I honestly can't remember what Fabio's left is like but it would appear as if he is quite two footed reading some of the comments.

I just hope we'll one day be able to field both Rafael and Fabio and both of them being some of the best on their respective positions :drool:
Yeah and a very good example was the Spurs vs Swansea game recently when Spurs had Dempsey and Naughton on the left and every single one of Spurs's attack down the left came to nothing as neither of them had a left foot or could go on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.