Fellaini | Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suvvernmanc

He's obviously not good enough for OGS style of football. Passing and moving the ball with pace with the likes of Herrera and Pogba would be awful with Fellaini in that midfield.
Under Jose, he didn't look to bad at times but you can imagine him slowing the midfield down even more than what he did before.

The telling tale that his days are numbered here are that our bench options in recent PL matches have been the players we all see as ones that fit the system and/or are the future.

Loosing Fellaini will surely see mor3 game time from our current group waiting in the wings like Andreas or Fred. So him leaving can only be a good thing.

Not good enough for our midfield, and the 80th minute hoof ball tactics that we regulary applied to scrape a point, will hopefully never be needed again.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Seems silly to ditch him in January. What damage does it do to keep him until at least EOS? Gives another option - clearly not one that OGS is fond of - but thats why you have a Plan B or C. In the summer, if Ole gets the job and decides he doesnt want Fellaini then so be it. Surely it is best to be leaving these decisions until we have a permanent manager though?

AndyJ1985

Seems silly to ditch him in January. What damage does it do to keep him until at least EOS? Gives another option - clearly not one that OGS is fond of - but thats why you have a Plan B or C. In the summer, if Ole gets the job and decides he doesnt want Fellaini then so be it. Surely it is best to be leaving these decisions until we have a permanent manager though?
We shouldn't be hiring a manager who would want a player like Fellaini, so no harm in selling him now

davidmichael

I’m sure Fellaini is a really nice person in real life but as a footballer playing the style of football that our club does he simply isn’t good enough and is the epitome and possibly even the face of the post Sir Alex era, slow and lumbering and hard to watch.

dogwithabone

I can see he has his uses but the general feeling has to be that this is a positive sign.

0le

Average player. Couldn't care less about him given his conduct over the contract last season.

wolvored

Maybe Ole has told him he wont be playing regular and Fellaini has said he wants to leave this window if possible. As others have said keeping him another 5 months is no big deal.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be fair, other than being a drain on our finances at the moment i am content, as I dont think he is even going to make the squad for most matches let alone be on the bench.

On the one hand I would love to see him gone, but other hand I am happy for him to stew not getting games and being ostracized from the squad as well.

Either way he isnt going to be playing for us very much if at all, again.

Wheato

Best to move him on while he still has a value. While some of his world cup performances are still fresh in the mind. For me, he is keeping the likes of Pereira and Fred from getting minutes on the pitch. Also, our current style of fast, one touch passing and the high press is not really his style. He would be slowing us down with his dangerous elbows and kicking opposition players up the arse. There was a small bit of comedy value to Fellaini, but I think we all agree that we want to play football again. I wish him all the best (In his next role as a bond villain)

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I think he gets a seriously harsh press on here and is a good squad option who could play under LVG (he started a few games but admittedly was used mainly as a target man late in games) who was obsessed with passing so shouldn't have a huge problem playing under Ole long term. However if we can bring in a more technically gifted CM or we feel we have enough and want to bring in a CB (having gotten rid of Rojo as well) then we should, a LB to add competition in that area wouldn't go amiss either.

minoo-utd

He is a good cover for our midfield if we don't sign anyone, not the right time to sell.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Why do i see people saying OGS is getting rid of him?
Don't think he has any say in players going in or out. I honestly think other people in the club see it the same way many of us fans do, Fellaini isn't a United type of player.
They want the next manager to play the "United way", which is not hoofing the ball, and don't think Fellaini should be a part of the future.
Sure, Solskjær isn't using him and we're playing well, so they get it proven, but i highly doubt Ole has said anything like "sell Fellaini, he was better before he cut his hair".

I'm sure OGS will have an input. Can't see that he will be able to made the decisions/ demands a permanent manager could. But, we are talking about a squad player - with or without a DoF the club know that some deadwood needs to be moved, and if we can actually get some money for the likes of Fellaini, Rojo or Darmian then it's hardly a big decision.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I think he gets a seriously harsh press on here and is a good squad option who could play under LVG (he started a few games but admittedly was used mainly as a target man late in games) who was obsessed with passing so shouldn't have a huge problem playing under Ole long term. However if we can bring in a more technically gifted CM or we feel we have enough and want to bring in a CB (having gotten rid of Rojo as well) then we should, a LB to add competition in that area wouldn't go amiss either.
Exactly. People quickly forget that he was a standout performer at various points last season.
Not saying that's where you want to be as a United team, but I hate paying being a twat about him.

Selling him in Jan would be dumb.

the chameleon

It all went downhill when got rid of that magical mop. His ideal manager left and the new manager stopped playing him.

norm87cro

I'll have to say it just to be fair towards the guy. Up front for Everton he was fantastic and I can still see him in that role in the last 15 minutes (chasing 0 1 prehaps) or againts weaker opposition. But he should be nowhere near the DM or even CM role.

LingardsBoots

Felli was a first choice for Jose from what we read in the media. When he was at Everton he regularly caused us problems but when he arrived here Moyes didn't play him in the same position.
Spurs are on the lookout for a striker now Kane is out so lets sell him to them.
If it's wages people are concerned about then surely we need to offload Sanchez as soon as possible as his pay is ridiculous for what he actually does.
He's so injury prone it's laughable, sell em both and Jones too now he is a complete waste of space.
Poch will sort it all out eventually at the EOS.

Steerpike

Exactly. People quickly forget that he was a standout performer at various points last season.
Not saying that's where you want to be as a United team, but I hate paying being a twat about him.

Selling him in Jan would be dumb.
I'd be sorry to see him go. He provides an option for a genuine change of tactics, which makes him very useful to have on the bench. He is useful when we're chasing games and when we're defending leads. He's never been our most gifted player, but he has usually done a decent job and never given anyone cause to doubt his commitment when he has played.

I can see that he wouldn't be starting games with any kind of regularity though, and it seems fair enough to let him leave if he wants to get regular game time elsewhere (and kudos to him if that's the case - there are plenty of players who'd just hang around taking the money).

We will be a bit exposed in the DM position if he leaves though - there is even talk of McTominay going out on loan. I'm not convinced about either Fred or Perreira as a drop in for Matic.

stevoc

I'd be sorry to see him go. He provides an option for a genuine change of tactics, which makes him very useful to have on the bench. He is useful when we're chasing games and when we're defending leads. He's never been our most gifted player, but he has usually done a decent job and never given anyone cause to doubt his commitment when he has played.

I can see that he wouldn't be starting games with any kind of regularity though, and it seems fair enough to let him leave if he wants to get regular game time elsewhere (and kudos to him if that's the case - there are plenty of players who'd just hang around taking the money).

We will be a bit exposed in the DM position if he leaves though - there is even talk of McTominay going out on loan. I'm not convinced about either Fred or Perreira as a drop in for Matic.
We have Matic and Herrera we should be alright. Fellaini isn't a great DM anyway, it's not his best position.

Having said that i don't think he'll leave in January.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It depends on Fellaini really, if he's ok with being a willing bench player then he's easily worth £15m to us, but if he can't live with that and wants more then now's the time to realise his value.

ErranMorad

I'll throw a party if he leaves but I don't think it's happening. He was probably injured or not match fit for the Spurs game and that is usually enough for the gossip columnists to concoct the story of his departure given that he is such a polarizing figure and guaranteed to generate clicks and chatter.

Steerpike

We have Matic and Herrera we should be alright. Fellaini isn't a great DM anyway, it's not his best position.

Having said that i don't think he'll leave in January.
The issue is if Matic is injured or suspended, or even just worn out. Our best lineup at the moment includes both Matic and Herrera.

Fellaini can perform very well at DM, indeed I think that was his original calling, but managers then realised that he can also be used to great effect in a more advanced role. He hasn't had the chance to play DM under Ole yet, perhaps because Matic has upped his game under the new regime. I remember lots of people were saying Matic was a liability at DM under Mourinho, so if Matic can find a better level now, why not Fellaini?

I hope you're right about him not leaving in January.

stevoc

The issue is if Matic is injured or suspended, or even just worn out. Our best lineup at the moment includes both Matic and Herrera.

Fellaini can perform very well at DM, indeed I think that was his original calling, but managers then realised that he can also be used to great effect in a more advanced role. He hasn't had the chance to play DM under Ole yet, perhaps because Matic has upped his game under the new regime. I remember lots of people were saying Matic was a liability at DM under Mourinho, so if Matic can find a better level now, why not Fellaini?

Sometimes, but in his time at United he's had more bad games there than good. Solskjaer is picking all of Herrera, Matic, Pogba, Pereira, Mctominay and Fred ahead of Fellaini, thats says a lot he's basically 7th choice. So i don't see him getting much minutes under Ole unless McTominay leaves on loan and even then only a few minutes here and there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

He's way too static to be a DM in a flexible/fluid side like what Solskjaer wants. Fellaini is a decent player in the right system, but he's not and never has been and never will be United level as anything more than a target man to lump it up to on occasion. He can be a better player at smaller sides or sides who don't want to play fast and fluid football, and he has done alright in his time here, but he really has no spot moving forward past a desperation throw on to lump it up in the last 5 minutes.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Woosh and Ole and Fergie finally flush the club of Moyes. Mata will be allowed leave on a free in the summer I assume. It’ll all be like a bad dream hopefully next season. Fellaini has been a good pro and took a lot of stick but he’s not a starter and he’s on big wages. Glad to see the club finally being proactive with the squad players we don’t need. Trim the fat let the youth through and sign some players who can push for a regular place in a team that plays the kind of football we want to going forward. Simple. See! It is like football manager only we’ve got more money than 95% of the clubs out there. Let’s start using it wisely.

staniswin

We shouldn't be hiring a manager who would want a player like Fellaini, so no harm in selling him now
Poch will keep him. He just show us He would use a big lump ( Llorente ) when chasing the game. If we want Poch ,He without a doubt would want Fellaini to stay.

SAFMUTD

Add Lukaku to that too, Fellaini would have been much more effective coming on vs Spurs. He’s not a shite footballer, and when he comes on to the pitch he knows exactly what he has to do. Not sure what the harm is if our plan A isn’t working. Starting him is another story altogether.
Totally agree, maybe is because some remember him entring everygame just to fight long balls, but he is really effective when its about getting the game in the freezer.

I hope he stays unless we find 3 better midfielders which seems pretty unlikely.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Not sure why there is so much of hate. Every time he’s played he’s given 100%. Yes he’s limited but you can’t fault his professionalism. He’s come up with some important goals for us too.

He can leave, but let’s be civil about it.

meamth

This is a bit weird for me. I'm always that guy to support Fellaini, but coming back from Mourinho's brainwashing regime, I see it clearly now.

Back when we were playing tumescent, pragmatic football I think he is very useful for us. In fact he did delivered when we were in trouble. All that Europa goals, that 1 nil wins, I'm really grateful for that.

But apparently OGS came in, and he finally opened everyone eyes that we could play fluid attacking football and finally we can truly believe that moving forward is with this style of football. That is what goes wrong for the guy, as much commitment and hard work, he can never be a part of what we are trying to build due to his limitations as a player. He can certainly do things if he try, but we simply don't have time and space for him at the moment to improve. That led to the conclusion that he needs to go for the sake of his own good in his prime years and play elsewhere. I still does support Fellaini, I feel for the guy.

If he does leave, good luck Felli. Thank you for your services.

Seij

I'm not sure if he can leave? Nobody came close to matching his salary demands during the summer even with free transfer and that's why he ended up renewing after shopping around.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Best to move him on while he still has a value. While some of his world cup performances are still fresh in the mind. For me, he is keeping the likes of Pereira and Fred from getting minutes on the pitch. Also, our current style of fast, one touch passing and the high press is not really his style. He would be slowing us down with his dangerous elbows and kicking opposition players up the arse. There was a small bit of comedy value to Fellaini, but I think we all agree that we want to play football again. I wish him all the best (In his next role as a bond villain)
I'd have thought that was on Pogba, Matic and Herrera

cyril C

Without Fellaini we probably would not have won the EL. At least give him credit for giving and never stop trying. He did not have us over a barrel. His contract was up and he signed for what the club agreed to pay him. If the club had not agreed then he would have been sold.
If we had Fellaini in the Westham game(their last home game before moving to new stadium), we probably would have avoided defeat. Even a draw would mean City playing in Europa and Utd playing in CL. And LVG probably would not be sacked. But LVG dug his own grave, by recruiting Blind, Rojo and Darmian, none are suitable for EPL.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
If we had Fellaini in the Westham game(their last home game before moving to new stadium), we probably would have avoided defeat. Even a draw would mean City playing in Europa and Utd playing in CL. And LVG probably would not be sacked. But LVG dug his own grave, by recruiting Blind, Rojo and Darmian, none are suitable for EPL.
I think Blind was chronically underused by us. He has qualities as a good rotational player much like O'Shea being able to play all over the backline and midfield if need be.

Guarantee you that Blind would have stayed here if Ole had come sooner.

zenith

Has there been a concrete offer for him. If not, then why is everyone collectively assuming that he's leaving this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.