Fellaini | Mou: "It's easier for Galatasaray to get me than Marouane. He is too important to me."

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony54

All those falling for this are going to be gutted when it doesn't happen. It's the hope that kills you guys.
I know I can't change the minds of the larger majority of Fellaini detracters on here but I would say that if the team had more stability and forwards that as a whole could score, then Fellaini would appear to be a much better player. He is far better technically than most of our squad and provides a lot of much need muscle. Play him in the right position with a sorted midfield and he will be fine. At worst he is a good squad player at best a match winner as at Ajax.

Litch

I've been consistent in my views of Fellaini. You must be trolling me if you think players like Butt and Fletcher were 'squad players'. Teddy Sheringham was footballer of the year!! Not bad for a squad player and some of the performances Park put in in the biggest games were super human. However if you prefer long hoof football and a physical tepid approach to football then stick with Fellaini.
Trolling you?

It's relative and when you have a Scholes, Giggs, Keane, Ince and Beckham, Butt and Fletcher aren't anything other than squad players. My memory isn't selective to not remember the level of negativity towards on here both Butt and especially Fletch. Sheringham here was nothing more than a squad player as Cole and Yorke where clearly the preferred starters. Park was outstanding in big games but again many said he wasn't good enough to start. Fans hated Carrick during a time when our ceiling of midfielders was higher. It's relative and whilst I'm not saying Felliani is good enough, there were better players historically that weren't considered good enough too.

Like I said, maybe the focus should be on who picks him rather than people thinking he picks himself.....? I'm sure the same person is telling them to hoof it too. You know with Rom up front, you might see it being hoofed to him too....

Oh, SAF never told teams to hoof it ever....

Last edited:

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Don't understand why he gets so much hate.

Used a scapegoat, didn't stop giving his all. Never injured, unlike the rest of our sick notes. Plays his heart out every single game, despite being used in numerous ways.

And that's the less tangible stuff.

He's scored crucial goals over the past few years, put in a MOTM performance in the final against Ajax and been an absolute handful against every team he's played.

Him being selected over the past few years was down to the people around him playing like shit. Herrera (until last season), Rooney, Lingard (patchy), Basti, Schneiderlin, Anderson, Cleverley, Martial (last season)

He's needed in our squad but don't criticise him for being chosen, criticise the people who are more talented but aren't doing enough to play.

Litch

Don't understand why he gets so much hate.

Used a scapegoat, didn't stop giving his all. Never injured, unlike the rest of our sick notes. Plays his heart out every single game, despite being used in numerous ways.

And that's the less tangible stuff.

He's scored crucial goals over the past few years, put in a MOTM performance in the final against Ajax and been an absolute handful against every team he's played.

Him being selected over the past few years was down to the people around him playing like shit. Herrera (until last season), Rooney, Lingard (patchy), Basti, Schneiderlin, Anderson, Cleverley, Martial (last season)

He's needed in our squad but don't criticise him for being chosen, criticise the people who are more talented but aren't doing enough to play.
Agree.....or more so, blame the manager that actually picks him. He doesn't pick him, he doesn't play. Simple.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
You need a fellaini in the team. He's a great plan B if your plan A goes to south. Him leaving wouldn't even improve our football
That argument always baffles me. 90% (and I'm probably being too generous) of the time our game completely disappeared when he came on and we hopelessly crossed the ball to the box for the last 20-10 minutes without any threat to the opposition; but he scored a couple of goals in his 4-year long (:nervous:) stay with us, so he is suddenly a good option B? We'd have won more games if we played football for 90 minutes and not 70/80.

A great plan B option is a guy like Chicharito or Solskjaer from the bench. Or, say, Javi Martinez moved up front to neutralise opposition's high pressing, without stopping playing football altogether.

Fellaini has the tools to be a good option B for one and only one scenario — sustaining the pressure and defending the lead, but he is too unreliable and plain stupid (in football terms, obviously I don't know the guy) to be one.

vxlencia

Bold parts sound like David Moyes!

What on earth does he bring to the team? He's awful at best, and no where near United quality - even my Everton supporting mate was applauding (and astounded) when we bought him off them.

'Being a handful' isn't something I aspire Manchester United players to be, thanks.
What's United quality these days? Cleverly, Anderson, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Young, Welbeck? Whether you like it or no all these players played a role in SAF's last season to win the title but I bet they're not United quality despite winning the premier league??

Fellaini has his uses. Long term do I want united to buy better players? Of course. My post wasn't saying Fellaini is the best and Mou's lost it. I was simply stating people are under rating him. People are making out that ever since he's come he's been a liability which isn't true.

But I agree with your last comment, I share the same feeling.

AndyJ1985

What's United quality these days? Cleverly, Anderson, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Young, Welbeck? Whether you like it or no all these players played a role in SAF's last season to win the title but I bet they're not United quality despite winning the premier league??
We went to shit in Europe because our team was filled with players like those. Even Ferguson couldn't compete against the best with that standard of player. The quality of our team went down hill after we sold Ronaldo and it's been going downhill ever since. If we continue with the attitude that players like Fellaini and Lingard are good enough because they "do a job" how are we ever going to compete for the CL again?

vxlencia

That argument always baffles me. 90% (and I'm probably being too generous) of the time our game completely disappeared when he came on and we hopelessly crossed the ball to the box for the last 20-10 minutes without any threat to the opposition; but he scored a couple of goals in his 4-year long (:nervous:) stay with us, so he is suddenly a good option B? We'd have won more games if we played football for 90 minutes and not 70/80.
No. Our game doesn't 'completely dissapear' when Fellaini comes on (although I agree it's not exactly free flowing and great even when he does come on). I think you'd find by that point when Fellaini comes on the game has already dissapeared.

Mou throws Fellaini on in this way to try something different because the last 80minutes hasn't yielded anything.

Kag

Lots of mistruths in here from both sides on the argument. For example:

Myth #1 - Fellaini is a clumsy oaf, void of technical ability, that we will struggle to find a buyer. The truth of the matter is that his first touch is consistently good and he would be a great asset for the vast majority of sides in the division. Wages dependant (always our problem when selling), he'd have lots of takers.

Myth #2 - Fellaini offers a good Plan B. Well, no, he doesn't. Almost every single time he has come on the field when we have been chasing a game, we have looked less likely to score a goal. The quality of our football suffers dramatically as we relentlessly pump the ball forward. Even when he starts, his expectations are so low (for some supporters) that even the most rudimentary of things (like passing the ball 5 yards) is lauded as some kind of staggering performance. It's actually more insulting to Fellaini's real ability.

There is more, but I'll digress. Ultimately, I don't think Fellaini is the sort of footballer we need here, and we'd be better served by giving more minutes to Pereira and/or bringing in a significantly better alternative. There is an argument that he is a "good squad player". I'd be tempted to agree, however, I just don't want to see him on the pitch for us. I don't think we can play the sort of football I'd like us to play if he is out there. For me, I wish him the best luck in the world, but I just can't be arsed with having him around for a fifth fecking year.

vxlencia

We went to shit in Europe because our team was filled with players like those. Even Ferguson couldn't compete against the best with that standard of player. The quality of our team went down hill after we sold Ronaldo and it's been going downhill ever since. If we continue with the attitude that players like Fellaini and Lingard are good enough because they "do a job" how are we ever going to compete for the CL again?
I agree we didn't have the best of squads. But that 'not United quality team' that year finished top in the group stages and in the knockouts we drew Real Madrid. First match that 'not United quality team' drew 1-1 and in the return leg due to that Nani high foot decision and red card we ended up loosing. But guess what? that 'not United quality team' was on the front foot and looking like winning before that happened.

Again back to my point. Fellaini isn't a bad option to have. But I agree we need better.

Last edited:

Litch

Fellaini has his uses. Long term do I want united to buy better players? Of course. My post wasn't saying Fellaini is the best and Mou's lost it. I was simply stating people are under rating him. People are making out that ever since he's come he's been a liability which isn't true.

But I agree with your last comment, I share the same feeling.
I think the issue isn't him, it's the fact we no longer have the quality to balance the lack of it. Real fans will have their own Felliani-like player who's not seen to be good enough but when you have Kroos and Modric and your winning titles, those squad type players are not as significant. Felliani will remain significant to the squad until we sign better players or the young players can equally prove they can influence the game based on their ability and own skill set in the way Felliani uses his own (as limited as it may be) to good effect in the eyes of the manager.

I'll say it again, he does not pick himself. There are much better players than him but we have too many that don't show up constantly enough or go missing in big games. For me there's utd players historically that are here cause of their ability and there are others that are here cause of their heart and bravery. Roy Keane said if he was going into battle, Quinton was the player he'd want next to him.

Last edited:

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Even when he starts, his expectations are so low (for some supporters) that even the most rudimentary of things (like passing the ball 5 yards) is lauded as some kind of staggering performance. It's actually more insulting to Fellaini's real ability.
How many times have our other 'superstars' who play 'The United Way' been unable to execute those basics in front of an impatient OT crowd?

Forgetting that until Scholes stepped down, Carrick was seen as a player 'who would only pass sideways or backwards' and that he didn't have the mentality for a united MF - if you don't believe me, read the old threads.

You give him any job and he performs it to 7/10 levels almost every week, and you want people in his position to be hitting 8 or 9/10 then you need people like Mkhi, Martial, Kagawa, ADM, Lingard, Depay, Bastia, Schneiderlin, Cleverley, Anderson, Nani, Rooney to put in better performances than they did.

#PrayForFellzou

Litch

I agree we didn't have the best of squads. But that 'not United quality team' that year finished top in the group stages and in the knockouts we drew Real Madrid. First match that 'not United quality team' drew 1-1 and in the return leg due to that Nani high foot decision and red card we ended up loosing. But guess what? that 'not United quality team' was on the front foot and looking like winning before that happened.

Again back to my point. Fellaini isn't a bad option to have. But I agree we need better.
Spot on, better performing quality players make the squad players less relevant but their role more distinctive. If we had Kroos, Pogba and Modric, we aren't talking about Felliani being in the squad.

Mark Pawelek

... I would say that if the team had more stability and forwards that as a whole could score, then Fellaini would appear to be a much better player.
This kind of nonsense post annoys me. Fellaini is a big part of the team not being able to score more.

He is far better technically than most of our squad and provides a lot of much need muscle. Play him in the right position with a sorted midfield and he will be fine. At worst he is a good squad player at best a match winner as at Ajax.
If he were better teams would be willing to pay more than £10m for him. Fellaini's squawka score = 180. Our outfield player's average squawka score = 590 (not including younger, inexperienced, players (Tuanzebe, TFM), but including Shaw, Rashford, Martial, Pierrara.

witchtrials

feck's sake, if we start selling players like Fellaini we might as well give up on the Average Height Trophy now

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Galatasaray are confident of securing Fellaini, with the Turkish club’s president, Dursun Ozbek, or another board member due in Manchester on Monday or Tuesday to finalise a transfer.

An agreement has been reached in principle with Fellaini over a four-year contract worth in the region of €4m (£3.6m), which would make him their highest-paid player.

The Bloody-Nine

Swapping Fellaini for Matic? Excellent. I'm not as harsh on Fellaini as some but I won't be sad to see him leave.

gica_7

The turkish press aren't reliable are they?
They are not. And the ones reported Felaini news are absolutely not. Despite director of football's claims, I doubt this will go through. He is not what Galatasaray needs.

seegoblu

A bit of a "bull in a china shop" feel to his play, but he does bring a unique attribute to the squad, the "lump it up there to the big guy and hope he can get his head on it" hail mary play. That said, in a better squad, that particular skill set isn't needed.

Dump him out of the PL and forget he even exists.

Kag

How many times have our other 'superstars' who play 'The United Way' been unable to execute those basics in front of an impatient OT crowd?

Forgetting that until Scholes stepped down, Carrick was seen as a player 'who would only pass sideways or backwards' and that he didn't have the mentality for a united MF - if you don't believe me, read the old threads.

You give him any job and he performs it to 7/10 levels almost every week, and you want people in his position to be hitting 8 or 9/10 then you need people like Mkhi, Martial, Kagawa, ADM, Lingard, Depay, Bastia, Schneiderlin, Cleverley, Anderson, Nani, Rooney to put in better performances than they did.

#PrayForFellzou
Fellaini doesn't perform to 7/10 every week. He's sometimes absolutely awful. The idea that Fellaini is some kind of consistent reliability man is probably my Myth #3. He actually has a penchant for glaring, costly errors such as losing his man, losing possession in dangerous areas and making clumsy fouls in and around the 18 yard box.

Again, I quite like Fellaini, and I've backed him a hell of a lot more than most on here - even during that Moyes season in which he often had good games. But he is what he is. I'm not going to praise him for shite like some of this lot on here.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Fellaini is a good plan b?

Chelsea
Tottenham
City
Liverpool
Arsenal

All finished higher than us last season. None of them have a big lump of a 'plan b' to turn to.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
A bit of a "bull in a china shop" feel to his play, but he does bring a unique attribute to the squad, the "lump it up there to the big guy and hope he can get his head on it" hail mary play. That said, in a better squad, that particular skill set isn't needed.

Dump him out of the PL and forget he even exists.
This is one of those things that gathers legs of its own and ends up being repeated and accepted. Pop on youtube and have a look at the all touches videos of his games and you will find the majority of his contributions are 1 and 2 touch passes which are primarily on the deck.

Zoo

I hope this happens, it's time. Mourinho inherited Fellaini and used him well but it's as much about perception now then anything else. If the opportunity to move him on is there we should do it.

Infestissumam

If he is to be sold, we'll need two midfielders. Maybe this is why the Dendoncker rumours surfaced?
hopefully. Matic-Herrera-Pogba with Carrick-Dendoncker-Pereira as backups would be good depth IMO.

Last edited:

Tiber

Pogba, Herrea, Matic, Pereira and Carrick would certainly be an upgrade over what we had last year even if we don't sign a 2nd cm

Zlatattack

I wouldn't feel comfortable selling him without buying a replacement. He's been decent for us last year. He's horrible to watch but he's scored some important goals. I mean let's not get carried away, he's hit competent as his peak this year, but he's still a body on the pitch, one opponents struggle to play against sometimes.

Redlyn

Swapping Fellaini for Matic? Excellent. I'm not as harsh on Fellaini as some but I won't be sad to see him leave.
We need a new midfielder even with Fellaini here. His sale should only be allowed if we are getting 2 shiny new ones

stevoc

I don't think he will be sold. He is the ultimate Plan B.
The Ultimate plan B?

Lets be honest using Fellaini as a plan B in games we were chasing over the last 4 years has only worked on a handful of occasions. If his introduction has directly lead to a goal that rescued a draw/win more than 4-5 times i'd be surprised.

We never needed a 6'5'' plan B to lump balls up to in all the years under Fergie, and we rescued many. many games in that period. Playing long balls to someone like Felliani isn't nearly as effective as many people seem to think it is.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think the problem with Fellaini is that there's this innate propensity to hoof toward him with low percentage crosses and long diagonals whenever he is on the field. It rarely ever works, because the tactic itself is just one that isn't very successful. It's an easy cop-out tactically for the last half hour of a match that the last two managers have fallen victim to too often. I don't think you can blame them that much, in dead rubber games when our attack is struggling you sometimes do think, 'why not, get it lumped up to Fellaini?' I think the sooner that temptation is out of the squad the better.

Being a player who follows instructions down to a tee, and rarely gets injured is nice but realistically it shouldn't be enough to maintain a serious squad status at our club.

Status
Not open for further replies.