Fellaini (on his way) out? | Duncan Castles: Fellaini agrees new two year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniwin

By the way i don't think opposition player & manager share the same opinion as Caf here , nobody thinks he is shite player and nobody likes to deal with him either. You can go ask any footballer about him and no one would have thought he is shite. If only he lower his wage demand , many clubs would be interested to sign.
Did a Zidane Roulette , bullied English player , MoTM. Glad he renew.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
You seem like a nice guy and a decent poster. But when it comes to Fellaini you make crazy claims like the ''he's played 90% of his career at DM'' without anything to back it up. But i'm the deluded one, get a grip mate.
That's not fair, i've already revised if for you in #2159

Anyhow, how can I back it up, videos of each match, press cuttings, pie charts and spreadsheets ?

The lad has been playing pro football since 2006, he'd never played further forward until David Moyes stuck him up front late in 2013(they both admitted at the time they weren't sure if it would work), so that's 7/8 seasons out of 13 as a DLM/B2B(hang on i'll get my calculator....), plus he's probably played half of his games if not more at United for David Moyes and LvG in a deeper role, and it's only really Mourinho that has consistently played him(well he would)further forward, then there's his 100+ appearances at various International levels since 2005 most until the last 4 years were in a deeper role, and most of them in partnership with Witsel

Right, for a quite life 67%, that's my final offer, take it or leave it

It would be closer to ¼% than 71% in his club career mate. :eek:

Class of 63

Sourness
The manager is on 5th or 6th transfer window now. He has had plenty of time to get rid of the dross. All of the below could leave tomorrow and no one would bat an eye lid
Shaw
Darmian
Jones
Young
Valencia
Carrick
Fellaini
Blind
Lindelof
Rojo
Just when I thought it was safe to come back into the thread......

ps. Carrick left yesterday

dirkey

I take it you don't watch much football then, because nearly everybody is at it.

Agree that it's sneaky and dangerous though.
I watch a lot of football. I don't see many who throw elbows intentionally as often as fellaini. I wouldn't want anyone else who did it the way he does either.

Class of 63

Sourness
His technique is dire. That shot he had towards the end...opened his body and leant back. No surprise it hit the side netting.

It was an international reserves game that no one was arsed about. Not sure it was highest level.
What you mean apart from the 12/14 players who had the chance to make it nearly impossible for their Managers to not pick them in the World Cup round of 16 matches next week if they had performed well ?

Class of 63

Sourness
I watch a lot of football. I don't see many who throw elbows intentionally as often as fellaini. I wouldn't want anyone else who did it the way he does either.
When was the last time you saw him intentionally elbow somebody ? No I didn't think so

And considering Refs watch him like a Hawk because of his unfair reputation how many times has he actually been sent-off for it ?

dirkey

When was the last time you saw him intentionally elbow somebody ? No I didn't think so

And considering Refs watch him like a Hawk because of his unfair reputation how many times has he actually been sent-off for it ?
He did it quite a few times this past season. Referees don't always get things right.

C'est Moi Cantona

Not only is it off topic it is baseless and pathetic that’s the point. Your literally lying and making stuff up like a rabid lunatic. It’s actually disturbing to see someone exhibit such an incessant agenda at every opportunity.

Typical behaviour when people like you get called out they resort to “you think you own the thread”

The key point is even yoirnoff topic BS was incorrect in and of itself. You just don’t like people calling you out on it. Just another spoilt brat post.
Hang on, how does me posting something you don't like (to someone else), you telling me, then me telling you to mind your own, make me a 'rabid lunatic' ?
Seems a bit harsh.

Anyway back on topic, Fellaini did alright last night, but not a player who's main attributes I want us to rely on personally.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Read again my friend. I said 20 dross players when Mourinho took over. Not 2 years later. Maybe you need to switch your PC monitor, because you are reading something other than what I wrote.

In reflection I've had a good look at the squad he inherited, and I reckon 14-16 are nowhere near good enough to mount a title challenge as posted recently in this thread.

Do you really think the squad Mourinho took over in 2016 was packed with world class players ready to win a title?
You have just listed even the youth players and made up big number. Adding players like McNair, Blackett, even Jauzaj shows that and you have added Fellaini's name on the list and Jose was so desperate for him to sign extension.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What you mean apart from the 12/14 players who had the chance to make it nearly impossible for their Managers to not pick them in the World Cup round of 16 matches next week if they had performed well ?
I mean the ones that didn't, yes.

I wouldn't expect United 2nd string/reserves to play in the CL knockouts either though, to be fair.

WPMUFC

Jose still sees him as a useful option and Paul Hirst suggested it saved us looking at another "fellaini-esque" player, which would have cost x amount of the transfer budget.

If we can put the fellaini money onto toby or Sandro, i don't care.

Woodward will turn his attentions toward bolstering United’s defence and attack before the start of the team’s pre-season tour of the United States on July 15. Mourinho has informed Woodward that he would like to sign a centre back, with Toby Alderweireld of Tottenham Hotspur among several options, and a left back, such as Juventus’s Alex Sandro.

Mourinho would like to sign Gareth Bale if the Wales forward decides to leave Real Madrid.
https://old.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/8uktq9/paul_hirst_fellani_new_contract_utd_want_to_sign/

If we saved 20-30 million by re-signing fellaini to be an impact player, and we can use that to sweeten deals for toby and or Sandro...good.

WPMUFC

Ah well I actually don't mind. He is a useful player as a utility sub when you feel the only thing that's left are hoof balls. Pretty sure he won't be a starter for the next two seasons so I don't really mind.
exactly my thinking. If jose wants him as the impact player after all else failed, and we were only going to replace him with another impact-type player, I'd match rather we keep him and divert the funds into sweetening other deals.

At best, a replacement would've been 30ish million.

Zlatattack

Fergie's impact subs tended to make an actual impact when they came on a regular basis though.
He makes an impact, with his elbows.

Also he'll be incredible if we get to the CL final. Only the final mind... those special performances are only reserved for European Cup finals.

Renegade

I’m not thrilled about Fellaini re signing with us, but will admit he had a good game yesterday.

I can’t speak for anyone else but if his 4th/5th choice and plays League cup games as most seem certain about then I would have no issue with him staying.
I see no evidence Mourinho won’t use him pretty frequently though. I can see Fellaini inevitability playing important games as the season goes on. I think the signing points towards Mourinho not changing our style/approach which is frustrating. Throwing Fellaini on for the last 15 to rescue a game is a tired tactic that rarely works. 5 times in 5 years is it? I’d much rather see us throw actual forwards on like every other big team does and SAF did. If you want presence up there aswell when were pushing for a goal then send a CB down without having to sub a player out and overload. Why bring Fellaini on and yet have 4 sitting back in defence. Fellaini will be used more than Herrera next season that I’m
Sure about. If Fred needs settling in time too, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Fellaini start the season. Which isn’t acceptable 5 years on from Moyes.

I also think a 2 year 120k a week contract is extortionate for a 4th/5th choice CM/impact sub.

If we don’t sign a RW/forward with these supposed freed up funds will people’s opinion on this re signing change?

Lemansky

I’m not thrilled about Fellaini re signing with us, but will admit he had a good game yesterday.

I can’t speak for anyone else but if his 4th/5th choice and plays League cup games as most seem certain about then I would have no issue with him staying.
I see no evidence Mourinho won’t use him pretty frequently though. I can see Fellaini inevitability playing important games as the season goes on. I think the signing points towards Mourinho not changing our style/approach which is frustrating. Throwing Fellaini on for the last 15 to rescue a game is a tired tactic that rarely works. 5 times in 5 years is it? I’d much rather see us throw actual forwards on like every other big team does and SAF did. If you want presence up there aswell when were pushing for a goal then send a CB down without having to sub a player out and overload. Why bring Fellaini on and yet have 4 sitting back in defence. Fellaini will be used more than Herrera next season that I’m
Sure about. If Fred needs settling in time too, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Fellaini start the season. Which isn’t acceptable 5 years on from Moyes.

I also think a 2 year 120k a week contract is extortionate for a 4th/5th choice CM/impact sub.

If we don’t sign a RW/forward with these supposed freed up funds will people’s opinion on this re signing change?
If we don’t sign players we need in other positions my opinion on this particular contract extension won’t change, I will however be massively disappointed in our player recruitment.

WPMUFC

The club is using PR via the journos to say it is saving money for better deals.

Keeping fellaini and getting toby/sandro with a sweetened deal is overall better for the club. If we move on to worse targets or others that aren't comparable, then yeah my opinion will change.

The whole PR angle is "money saved for better deals....and we don't have to pay for a like-for-like replacement." If they don't achieve that then yeah, we caved to his demands for no reason. Then we should've rolled the dice with another mediocre signing (if it must happen).

SteveTheRed

Bullied England last night, he is a useful player I don't care what anyone says. Mourinho likes him and he has helped us out on a number of occasions!

It's not like he has signed a contract saying he will be a starting player. He knows his role.

settembrini

Throwing Fellaini on for the last 15 to rescue a game is a tired tactic that rarely works. 5 times in 5 years is it?
In two years of Mourinho trying that tactic the only time I can remember it working for him is the game against Arsenal last season. Fellaini came on at 1-1 and scored the winner. As a plan B it has a ridiculously low success rate.

stevoc

That's not fair, i've already revised if for you in #2159
Maybe an idea to revise it again then mate.

Anyhow, how can I back it up, videos of each match, press cuttings, pie charts and spreadsheets ?
Well there's statistic websites, but short of using them maybe just go off memory mate. He's had 12 senior years of football 2006-2018. 5 of those have been at United and his last year at Everton, so that makes up half his career. If you are such a studious observer of Fellaini's career then you will know during those 6 years he's barely played as a DM. So it can't be anywhere near 70-90% of his career at DM.

The lad has been playing pro football since 2006, he'd never played further forward until David Moyes stuck him up front late in 2013(they both admitted at the time they weren't sure if it would work), so that's 7/8 seasons out of 13 as a DLM/B2B(hang on i'll get my calculator....),
Nope, more like 6 out of 12 seasons mate, and he wasn't moved further up the pitch by Moyes in late 2013 he played almost the entire season of 2012-13 as an attacking midfielder.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mar...12&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

plus he's probably played half of his games if not more at United for David Moyes and LvG in a deeper role, and it's only really Mourinho that has consistently played him(well he would)further forward,
Again nope, he barely played deep for LVG.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mar...14&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mar...15&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

And not a lot under Moyes either.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mar...13&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Right, for a quite life 67%, that's my final offer, take it or leave it

It would be closer to ¼% than 71% in his club career mate. :eek:
I'll leave it mate thanks.

stevoc

He makes an impact, with his elbows.

Also he'll be incredible if we get to the CL final. Only the final mind... those special performances are only reserved for European Cup finals.
I actually hope that one comes true :lol:

stevoc

Throwing Fellaini on for the last 15 to rescue a game is a tired tactic that rarely works. 5 times in 5 years is it?
If it's coming on later 60-90 mins then it's twice in 5 years. Directly anyway.

In two years of Mourinho trying that tactic the only time I can remember it working for him is the game against Arsenal last season. Fellaini came on at 1-1 and scored the winner. As a plan B it has a ridiculously low success rate.
Indeed.

C'est Moi Cantona

we see it in every single post on every fecking thread even threads to do with cooking.
See now you're just making things up, I didn't even know there was a cooking thread...

This place is full of opinions I don't agree with, but I don't jump on them telling them what I think like some sort of 'voice of people', just rise above 'rabid lunatics' like me, and ignore.

MetoTTT

I don't agree. Fellaini is hard to deal with for opponents. He's fouled a lot of times but never given beacause he's a big fella and his reputation. I've always liked the big guy. I know he isn't world class but is excellent as squad player and has a great attitude. I just don't want to see the "plan B" option again...long balls to Fellaini and Lukaku. It never works. It's ok for me he stays as squad option and I really hope we'll invest the money for at least 1 great FB, a RW and maybe a CB. Our midfield (Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Fred, Fellaini) isn't bad.

I'll be honest, I was hoping the big fella would be away and his wages freed up for an upgrade. Nothing against Fellaini; he's a player who never hides and who gives everything in every game, but I just don't think he has the ability we're looking for. Two more years leaves me feeling disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.