Fellaini (on his way) out? | Duncan Castles: Fellaini agrees new two year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
Yeah because he sucks at being a midfielder. His only value is to play as a lump of a tree uptop who we lump balls to and we can easily replace him with someone who can perform a similar role.

Quick google shows balotelli and wilshere both are free agents this summer, both would perform much better than fellaini in the role of back-up striker and back-up midfielder.

So does rojo and darmian but we want them sold.
I don't think we should have extended his contract but that's because I don't think we need any more bodies in midfield or another backup to Lukaku. If you do think we need that, makes littel sense to suggest Wilshere and Balotelli as options. Without even getting into how good/bad they are, they'll simply cost more in wages.

MJJ

I don't think we should have extended his contract but that's because I don't think we need any more bodies in midfield or another backup to Lukaku. If you do think we need that, makes littel sense to suggest Wilshere and Balotelli as options. Without even getting into how good/bad they are, they'll simply cost more in wages.
I dont either, personally feel like martial/rashford as a backup to lukaku and fred/periera coming in is more than enough cover for midfield and striker position.

I was just pointing out that we can replace fellaini without it costing us a significant amount of money since apparently resigning him is saving us 30 to 50m pounds.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Again, why would Fellaini agree to a wage cut a year down the line? He won't which basically means the club can only save money if the difference between the transfer fee we ask for + signing on fee he demands and the signing on fee he demanded this year is considerably big. Fat chance.
I think we backtracked on his length of contract not the salary. The year after next he'll be desperate to be a first teamer (its going to be his last major tournament with Belgium) + he'll probably accept a slight paycut in exchange of more mileage to his contract.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Both of those positions dont require significant funds, perreira replaces fellaini for free with lesser wages and we can get a back-up striker for less than 10m like chelsea and spurs have done in the past.
Perriera won't be replacing anybody in our team. He does not possess the mentality which Jose demands, so probably won't play in our first team.
And even if he were to play, he won't be replacing Fellaini's physicality or height. Had Fellaini left, Jose would look to buy another midfielder.

MJJ

Perriera won't be replacing anybody in our team. He does not possess the mentality which Jose demands, so probably won't play in our first team.
And even if he were to play, he won't be replacing Fellaini's physicality or height. Had Fellaini left, Jose would look to buy another midfielder.
Since when is height a key factor for a midfielder?

laughtersassassin

Next season we gonna have Smalling and Jones as CBs, Young and Valencia as FBs trying to cross to Fellaini up top heh
The second that back four is fielded which I'm sure it will be will really show how poor we are run as a club. Literally, all of them should be backups or out the door in a title aspiring side.

Varun

Staff
I dont either, personally feel like martial/rashford as a backup to lukaku and fred/periera coming in is more than enough cover for midfield and striker position.

I was just pointing out that we can replace fellaini without it costing us a significant amount of money since apparently resigning him is saving us 30 to 50m pounds.
Yeah, Fellaini valuing himself at 50mil was hilarious. The likes of Naingollan, Pastore etc went for 20mil odd. Anyways, agree completely that no replacement is needed for a guy who barely played anyway last season and we've added a CM since.
I think we backtracked on his length of contract not the salary. The year after next he'll be desperate to be a first teamer (its going to be his last major tournament with Belgium) + he'll probably accept a slight paycut in exchange of more mileage to his contract.
He wasnt a first teamer last season and we've since added another CM. Lets be honest with ourselves, he whored himself out for higher wages and when he didnt get it, he took our offer which happens to be the most lucrative one for him. Its not about game time or he'd be off.

Varun

Staff
Convenient.

Also, the fact that physicality and height are the 2 things you could think of when talking about what he brings to the midfield is quite telling. You're right mind because he's terrible in midfield, he's best used close to the opposition box.

Lemansky

Yeah because he sucks at being a midfielder. His only value is to play as a lump of a tree uptop who we lump balls to and we can easily replace him with someone who can perform a similar role.

Quick google shows balotelli and wilshere both are free agents this summer, both would perform much better than fellaini in the role of back-up striker and back-up midfielder.

So does rojo and darmian but we want them sold.

Answers like these shows that you are only blinded by unrational Fellaini hate. You just want him gone with no thought to general balance in the team, especially when it comes to what our manager wants as options.

Reading through this thread you quickly understand why so many football supporters don’t hold our general support in high regards.

Wilshere and Balotelli... don’t know where to start.

Eugenius

As much as I don't like Fellaini, I can see the logic in renewing his contract.

If playing 3 in midfield and need a 5th choice then it's cheaper to sign him on rather than buying someone new.

It tells you how little Mourinho actually rates McTominay though, because he's not going to get a game next year as 6th choice.

MJJ

Answers like these shows that you are only blinded by unrational Fellaini hate. You just want him gone with no thought to general balance in the team, especially when it comes to what our manager wants as options.

Reading through this thread you quickly understand why so many football supporters don’t hold our general support in high regards.

Wilshere and Balotelli... don’t know where to start.
Okay oh great football mind. Please educate us to what exactly fellaini brings to the table and how it enhances the general balance of our team.

Edit- This is how you felt about fellaini before you deciding to go all top red on us.

Incredibly frustrating to see him go to Rome last summer. There where so many mistakes made in that transfer window. The transfer of Fellaini sums it up.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He wasnt a first teamer last season and we've since added another CM. Lets be honest with ourselves, he whored himself out for higher wages and when he didnt get it, he took our offer which happens to be the most lucrative one for him. Its not about game time or he'd be off.
I fully agree. However as said I am trying to make sense of what's going on.

stevoc

Yeah okay mate, whatever helps you get through the day ;)
You seem like a nice guy and a decent poster. But when it comes to Fellaini you make crazy claims like the ''he's played 90% of his career at DM'' without anything to back it up. But i'm the deluded one, get a grip mate.

Lemansky

Okay oh great football mind. Please educate us to what exactly fellaini brings to the table and how it enhances the general balance of our team.

Edit- This is how you felt about fellaini before you deciding to go all top red on us.
I am by no means his biggest fan, but I am utterly disgusted by the hate he gets from our supporters. As a general rule I try to support the players that wears our jersey.

What I think personally he brings to the table is not important, the importance is that our manager wants him to stay for probably multiple reasons.

MJJ

I am by no means his biggest fan, but I am utterly disgusted by the hate he gets from our supporters. As a general rule I try to support the players that wears our jersey.

What I think personally he brings to the table is not important, the importance is that our manager wants him to stay for probably multiple reasons.
Okay got it, you also think he is a useless but want to defend him for top-red reasons.

dirkey

And you're basing that on what actually ?
The fact that he routinely throws elbows. A disgusting, sneaky and potentially quite dangerous practice. Anyone who does that is a disgusting individual in my opinion.

buckooo1978

As much as I don't like Fellaini, I can see the logic in renewing his contract.

If playing 3 in midfield and need a 5th choice then it's cheaper to sign him on rather than buying someone new.

It tells you how little Mourinho actually rates McTominay though, because he's not going to get a game next year as 6th choice.
this is the sensible way to view this renewal

full back, centre back and right wing is going to cost a lot

dirkey

this is the sensible way to view this renewal

full back, centre back and right wing is going to cost a lot
It would be sensible .. if it were the case. It's not. He'll be ahead of McTominay in the pecking order, absolutely. He'll play a lot more games than those of you who see him as a sub think. He'll start the bigger games, where Jose doesn't have the balls to go for it anymore.

This is an appalling decision.

red4ever 79

So we should get rid of the half-useful players and ignore the totally useless ones? Are you aware these players who barely played last year are drawing millions of pounds in wages from the club?
The manager is on 5th or 6th transfer window now. He has had plenty of time to get rid of the dross. All of the below could leave tomorrow and no one would bat an eye lid
Shaw
Darmian
Jones
Young
Valencia
Carrick
Fellaini
Blind
Lindelof
Rojo

buckooo1978

It would be sensible .. if it were the case. It's not. He'll be ahead of McTominay in the pecking order, absolutely. He'll play a lot more games than those of you who see him as a sub think. He'll start the bigger games, where Jose doesn't have the balls to go for it anymore.

This is an appalling decision.
I think I'm trying to convince myself

leopards don't change their spots and when Jose inevitably falls out with Pogba, Fellaini will be in

Lemansky

Okay got it, you also think he is a useless but want to defend him for top-red reasons.
No. I don’t think he is useless. But he ain’t my favourite player. I can hold two thoughts in my head though, it’s not difficult to understand Mourinhos reasons to keep him. I respect that, and don’t see any reason to hate him or the player for that fact.

Kidders

The manager is on 5th or 6th transfer window now. He has had plenty of time to get rid of the dross. All of the below could leave tomorrow and no one would bat an eye lid
Shaw
Darmian
Jones
Young
Valencia
Carrick
Fellaini
Blind
Lindelof
Rojo
Don't you think that would leave us a bit short st the back ?

Many has this obsolete idea that the main cost of a transfer is the fee which was correct in the past but is not applicable for today's football. As a free agent Fellaini can ask for a salary of 6m-8m a year + a huge signing on fee of around 10m. That's prohibitive for any club whose interested at a player of his level.

Now lets say United renew his contract. We keep him for a year which would allow us to send the likes of Periera and TFM on loan were they will get an extra year of experience. Next year we sell him for 3m-5m and probably finance part of his salary which would then eat away part of the fee we get.

So what are the benefits? We're happy because we've now got two youths with the necessary experience to act as decent cover/competition for us. He's happy because he ensured a first team role a season before the Euro and finally there will be clubs available that can afford him.

We did something similar with Philip Neville. We renewed his contract on a decent salary, which gave us time to see how OShea would do in Philip role then we sold him to Everton for peanuts a year after
Complete bobbins. Fellaini is not getting a £10m signing on fee from anyone - that’s his problem he’s completely overestimated his worth. As much as I despise him, he’s probably a £20m player of under contract to a team like Everton or Wolves. So in respect of overall cost he’s at his cheapest now, today, not when he’s on a 2 year contract. It’s clear to see no one wants him.

Of course wages are one of the biggest factors, no-one is saying otherwise, but we are likely to be paying him a far higher salary than he could get elsewhere.

Now we are lumbered with a guy who is 4/5th choice midfielder on a big salary. No-one will match that, as proved by no one wanting him.

dirkey

I think I'm trying to convince myself

leopards don't change their spots and when Jose inevitably falls out with Pogba, Fellaini will be in
Exactly. I think I've been doing that for the past year with Jose, trying to convince myself. But when I sit back, and look at it in the cold light of day, when Fellaini was available, he mostly played. It'll be the same next year.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Not sure about this at all.

It was the lack of first-team football that prompted Fellaini to kick up a fuss in the first place, surely he would not have signed a new contract without the assurance of increased game time.
I have not read anything to suggest that is the case at all. I have however read from Arsenal related sources that Fellaini was offered a lowball contract and he went looking elsewhere as a result and Arsenal was one of those places.

Fellaini also said in an interview that he felt insulted by United, which would fall in line with the lowball offer. He would not feel insulted with another midfielder coming in to reduce his playtime since he is not some world beater.

Robbie Boy

A-lot of the posters that refused to say Rooney was past it are in here exagerating Fellaini’s contribution to the club. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We should have loaded him into a trebuchet and launched this lump out of the club on the last day of the season.

Woody should also have just punched Jose square in the face when he suggested another offer.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
A-lot of the posters that refused to say Rooney was past it are in here exagerating Fellaini’s contribution to the club. Hmmmm.
Maybe.

I wanted Rooney sold when Fergie did and think Fellaini's been a good player for us and I'm pretty cool with him staying. I also think Jose's crap, so it's not a 'I trust the manager' thing. It is possible just to rate the guy.

Robbie Boy

Maybe.

I wanted Rooney sold when Fergie did and think Fellaini's been a good player for us and I'm pretty cool with him staying. I also think Jose's crap, so it's not a 'I trust the manager' thing. It is possible just to rate the guy.
I just feel there’s a certain ‘kind’ of poster on here who indulges certain players and get a tad OTT obsessive in these types of threads.

I don’t personally rate him and never have. In saying that, he’s had some good games and he’s not exactly hindering anyone’s development. It’s clear Jose fancies the physical type and if Fellaini staying means saving money on a like-for-like replacement, then fair enough.

I do feel that some are wildly exaggerating his ability and what he’s done here. The whole “oh but this manager rates him and he played well in ‘x’ game” is a fairly weak and repetitive argument. I can’t fathom how some people can’t accept that there are people that don’t rate the guy and want him gone. Even though I feel he’s done here, I can see why people do / don’t rate him. It’s the posters that get upset with people not rating him that baffles me.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I can’t fathom how some people can’t accept that there are people that don’t rate the guy and want him gone. Even though I feel he’s done here, I can see why people do / don’t rate him. It’s the posters that get upset with people not rating him that baffles me.
Yeah, fair enough, I'm with you here. I don't struggle to see why some don't rate him.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I have not read anything to suggest that is the case at all. I have however read from Arsenal related sources that Fellaini was offered a lowball contract and he went looking elsewhere as a result and Arsenal was one of those places.

Fellaini also said in an interview that he felt insulted by United, which would fall in line with the lowball offer. He would not feel insulted with another midfielder coming in to reduce his playtime since he is not some world beater.
I thought it was widely accepted that the reason for Fellaini's negativity in the press stemmed from a lack of first-team football. What other reason could he possibly have for actively seeking a new club? That he was unable to lure a potential suitor is the only reason he chose to remain at United - that and the increased weekly salary, of course, along with a promise of more first-team football in the future.

I'm sure he doesn't expect to compete with key central midfielders such as Pogba, Matic and Fred (presumably our best 3 CM's) but I cannot see him signing a new contract without even the most meagre of assurances that his game time would significantly increase.

I'm sure he doesn't expect to compete with key central midfielders such as Pogba, Matic and Fred (presumably our best 3 CM's) but I cannot see him signing a new contract without even the most meagre of assurances that his game time would significantly increase.
Jose wouldn’t have promised him increased game time. He’s staying because no one else wants him, and we are prepared to pay him £100k per week to sit on the bench or come on with 5 mins to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.