Fellaini

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think you'll sell Baines, but I do think you'll sell Fellaini for 20-21m.

If we sell Fellaini, as i have said previously i would imagine it would be 20m initial fee which could rise to 25m or so.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
It would be stupid for the club to call a bid an insult and then accept a fee only 4-6 million higher than the original.

Your club was stupid in the extreme to make that statement so yes I agree that when they accept an offer just over the 'insulting' one they will sound stupid.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Your club was stupid in the extreme to make that statement so yes I agree that when they accept an offer just over the 'insulting' one they will sound stupid.

Just as stupid as a club who bids 12m for a player, gets rejected, and then bids 12m again for them a month later.

Irwinwastheking

Just as stupid as a club who bids 12m for a player, gets rejected, and then bids 12m again for them a month later.

We'll get him for 12 million too. Go read that statement SW. Read the wording from your professional Director of Communications. It's the most foolish release I've read.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We'll get him for 12 million too. Go read that statement SW. Read the wording from your professional Director of Communications. It's the most foolish release I've read.

Calling Moyes/United out and showing that we won't be messed around as we have no reason to sell them.

Ash_G

Why do we even need this creative player? The main thing we have to look at that will be different from last year is SAF's insistence on playing only 2 men centrally. If we play Fellaini and Carrick, with one of Cleverley, Rooney, Giggs, Kagawa, Januzaj or Lingard in front of them, them being allowed to do what they do best will increase creativity in that area. A 4-2-3-1 is the system of choice for many teams abroad, and we cannot match it without one more solid player next to Carrick. We are spoiled for choice we have so many options for the 3 behind RVP in that system, I see no desperate need for anyone else. Where we lack is someone who can sit next to Carrick and provide the base which allows the wealth of attacking talent we already have to concentrate on attacking.

If we look at Bayern last year, they had Martinez and Schweini. No world class creativity there. Far more of a solid reliable base, which then allows for their creative players up front to flourish. I just don't see how we can improve that much by still having only Carrick to fulfil that role, whether we sign a Fabregas type or not, they will certainly not help us much in that regard.

Well personally I don't see why in the majority of games we can't go with Carrick as the holding player and someone next to him as the main creator as we had with him and Scholes. I think particularly with the way we play it's important to have that player who can find the wide players in great areas.

I agree that it's an option to go with two solid players and I think at times it's called for that's why personally I would have hoped we were looking for a young understudy for Carrick who could also come and do a job and a creative one.

A lot of teams use a 4231 but most teams are also quite narrow and so the attacking players can play off each other quite a lot. A big feature of our play is wide play, so you want to be able to pick them out quick, that's possibly one reason for Valencia's problems ounce fell out of the team, he's lost that player who can suddenly switch the play and find him high up the pitch one on one with his fullback. That's where a Fabregas like player would be helpful, to really get the best out of Nani and Valencia. Also Schweinsteiger has a good range.

Ideally as I said you have the ability to play both types which is why I've been hoping for a creative player and an understudy for Carrick.

Irwinwastheking

Calling Moyes/United out and showing that we won't be messed around as we have no reason to sell them.

It's silly in the extreme because we've been pretty decent to you guys in the recent past with players going the other way, and I would have bet money that Moyes would have been very happy to continue that trend where possible.

But hey, if you want to bite the hand that feeds you with a statement that sounds worse than half the posts on your average message board, go for it.

Irwinwastheking

Why would you get him for £12m when they've already rejected it twice?

As part of an overall deal including Fellaini the 12 million for Baines will be more acceptable. It's the bigger picture bid now, and if we put in another bid for 31million (guess) then I say it's estimating Baines still at 12m and Fellaini at 19m not adding 1.5m to each of them.

It's all semantics though when it comes to the breakdown.

alastair

ignorant
As part of an overall deal including Fellaini the 12 million for Baines will be more acceptable. It's the bigger picture bid now, and if we put in another bid for 31million (guess) then I say it's estimating Baines still at 12m and Fellaini at 19m not adding 1.5m to each of them.

Oh OK, get you. Still don't think £31m will be close to enough.

Sam

SW, just putting aside your (understandable) anger at the bid, what are your thoughts on Baines and Fellani at United? If they did move do you think they'd be good enough? And would you see them as first teamers or squad players?

Would be interesting to get your thoughts.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

31m? Having lowballed and upset Everton needlessly and pointlessly, you think increasing the bid by a measly 3m is going to cut it?

You're living in cloud cuckoo land.

Amir

Naa, 31m is not going to do it. Also, there seems to be some belief Everton are more inclined to let Fellaini go but really want to keep Baines.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's silly in the extreme because we've been pretty decent to you guys in the recent past with players going the other way, and I would have bet money that Moyes would have been very happy to continue that trend where possible.

But he hasn't as United have made silly bids that were never going to be accepted. The players we bought were unwanted by United which is why they were dirt cheap and are seen as United being "pretty decent". These are our two best players and we would be reluctant to let one of them go let alone both of them, which is why the bid is seen as so embarrassing also.

alastair

ignorant
United were wonderfully generous in giving Everton Tim Howard who had been horrific and Louis Saha who couldn't stay fit for two weeks at a time. For that, Everton should rightfully sell their two best players for about £10m under their market price.

Irwinwastheking

United were wonderfully generous in giving Everton Tim Howard who had been horrific and Louis Saha who couldn't stay fit for two weeks at a time. For that, Everton should rightfully sell their two best players for about £10m under their market price.

I'm not saying that they were fair prices or that Everton should accept. Also, 38m is silly talk in the extreme.

Tim Howard has been their No1 and very good for them for years, Neville was excellent for them and their club captain for a long time. I'd say that that's a large part of their recent success. Gibson has now gone to be a first teamer for them. These players were all given to them for close to nothing.

We've been good to them recently and that tap could be turned off very easily.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Well personally I don't see why in the majority of games we can't go with Carrick as the holding player and someone next to him as the main creator as we had with him and Scholes. I think particularly with the way we play it's important to have that player who can find the wide players in great areas.

Ideally as I said you have the ability to play both types which is why I've been hoping for a creative player and an understudy for Carrick.
I have no issue with that, but our problem is that at present we have no choice, and a Fabregas isn't going to change that. Ideally I would love 2 players, one defensively minded and one like Fabregas. But this late in the day I would gladly settle for the only option that allows us to play a different system with an effective and solid base protecting the CB's. For that we need someone with a bit of steel and physicality to compliment Carrick's reading of the game and deep playmaking.

You know as well as anyone that this has been my beef for years now, I have never wavered in my belief that we simply have to add this string to our bow if we are to improve significantly. SAF in recent years has tried every which way to beat the European elite with his 4-4-2, and came up short every time. Bayern have now showed the way to combat the pass and move fluid style of the Spaniards. They haven't managed it by buying creative players for deep positions, they have achieved it by making sure they have enough to control a midfield through their pressing game, which in turn allows the creative players more opportunities in dangerous positions.

They have achieved that solid base through signing players that make them more organised, disciplined and harder to beat (Martinez, Neuer, Dante). Their most recent signings have added the creativity and quality to further compliment that discipline and solidity (Thiago and Gotze). I doubt very much signing Gotze last season instead of Martinez would have given Bayern such a effective and formidable platform, which has certainly provided the basis for their success last year in my view.

alastair

ignorant
I'm not saying that they were fair prices or that Everton should accept. Also, 38m is silly talk in the extreme.

Tim Howard has been their No1 and very good for them for years, Neville was excellent for them and their club captain for a long time. I'd say that that's a large part of their recent success. Gibson has now gone to be a first teamer for them. These players were all given to them for close to nothing.

You've had a good relationship but it doesn't mean you can underpay on their two best players. At the end of the day, you've given them your discard pile. Moyes, to be fair to him, turned Howard into a good keeper, prolonged Neville's career and worked with Gibson too. The reason you gave him them for next to nothing was because they were either past their sell by date or just not wanted at United, not out of some generous streak Ferguson had.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

Talk about patronising! I'd be surprised if they sell for less than 40m ... and even that may be insufficient.

Verminator

If someone offered such an amount for Rafa, or a 27 y.o. Evra, "feck off!" would be the general response here.
Include a fit and prime Fletcher in the same deal, the response would be the same.
Why should Everton be happy to weaken themselves to an even greater extent, for that kind of money?

Irwinwastheking

You've had a good relationship but it doesn't mean you can underpay on their two best players. At the end of the day, you've given them your discard pile. Moyes, to be fair to him, turned Howard into a good keeper, prolonged Neville's career and worked with Gibson too. The reason you gave him them for next to nothing was because they were either past their sell by date or just not wanted at United, not out of some generous streak Ferguson had.
You see I don't see it as under paying. Maybe a few million but not a scandalous amount.
Talk about patronising! I'd be surprised if they sell for less than 40m ... and even that may be insufficient.
You're not entitled to talk on this subject if you think 40m is the right price.

surf

You see I don't see it as under paying. Maybe a few million but not a scandalous amount.

You're not entitled to talk on this subject if you think 40m is the right price.
Glaston's head inhabits the rarified world where your best player is worth 100 million. We're lucky he even deigns to associate with us plebs.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
... You're not entitled to talk on this subject if you think 40m is the right price.
We'll see. Good luck with your proposed 31m bid .... the only thing that'd be good for is wasting a few more days.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
:lol: Have you taken an extra batch of smug pills recently Glaston?

Marcus

My nagging suspicion is that Moyes has inside knowledge of both players, the clubs targets and the price at which Everton was willing to sell them. He may even have known that Everton were willing to go below Fellaini's buy-out clause. Everton made the statement as a protest so that the fans will blame Moyes for unsettling the players rather than the Everton hierarchy. They would be perfect additions since Moyes knows exactly what they are capable of and whether they would complement the United players.

Status
Not open for further replies.