Fellaini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
My nagging suspicion is that Moyes has inside knowledge of both players, the clubs targets and the price at which Everton was willing to sell them.

What tipped you off? Was the it the 11 years of managing Everton part, or something else?

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
IMO, we lowballed Everton and will do again because we know Everton will sell us both players and it's a test to see who blinks first. Everton won't want to wait until too close to the end of the window because they need some time to replace the players but they can't get them in first because then we can really lowball them. That statement was nothing more than a tactic to try to put the pressure on them but in reality we are sitting pretty. If they sell great, we get the two players for a reasonable price, if they don't then it's not like not getting RvP last year. Baines in particular is one we could do without and while Fellaini is more important he's not so important that they can put us over a barrel.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Everton and Newcastle are getting a bit precious about Fellaini and Cabaye. In recent years Arsenal have lost Fabregas and United Ronaldo, Spurs are about to lose Bale - all without this 'derisory' bleating.

I rarely agree with you Pete but this is spot on. feck me, it's not like we offered them 10million and a packet of dates. It was an 'in the ball park' figure if on the lowside and certainly not derisory or insulting. That statement was retarded.

LR7

Martinez probably didn't help himself with his Fellaini comments (about if there was a bid they'd have to look at it). Imo he made it obvious he's not really in his plans.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
I'm sorry to be negative, but feckinghell, is this the best they have in mind? all the bluffing and bullshitting and he ends up going for two mid table plodders from his old team, that's some scouting that.

Sam

I'm sorry to be negative, but feckinghell, is this the best they have in mind? all the bluffing and bullshitting and he ends up going for two mid table plodders from his old team, that's some scouting that.
Jesus :rolleyes:

Andrew~

I've been a certified Fellaini hater ever since I set eyes on his borderline mono-browed face and stupid afro haircut; but he might turn out to be a very good signing, and we need some proven Premiership quality in midfield.

I might even come to like the ugly fecker... somehow. :nervous:

Moriarty

Everton and Newcastle are getting a bit precious about Fellaini and Cabaye. In recent years Arsenal have lost Fabregas and United Ronaldo, Spurs are about to lose Bale - all without this 'derisory' bleating.
All done for the fans' benefit mate. They don't want to be seen as pushovers, which I can understand. But we did make a fuss about Real's courting, if that's the right word, of Ronaldo, and Wenger had just cause to gripe about the shameful way Barcelona went after Fabregas. It's teh norm now for clubs to posture in the press, even when the transfer concerns a player who is really nothing more that a decent addition to a big club's squad. But having said that, I thought Ian Holloway's behaviour was exemplary during the Zaha transfer. That's how business should be conducted; with a bit of dignity.

JmRssll555

I'm sort of warming to the idea of bringing in Fellaini now that it seems we aren't going to get any of our 'primary' targets - I guess we'll never really know who our primary targets actually are though.

You can't deny he's proven Premier League quality, and he did have an excellent season last year, however I'm not convinced he's a good enough player to solve our midfield issues. He certainly isn't the player who's going to help us become a force in Europe again, and I think he's quite limited in his technical ability. One big plus for me would the addition of someone with a bit of fight, who likes an aerial battle and won't be afraid to get stuck in a bit in the middle of the pitch.

That's not really the kind of players we've been used to under Fergie though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Phil Jones doesn't agree. I think Jones would feature more alongside Carrick, if he's not made of glass, or really hopeless in passing. In the past, we had O'Shea there with Giggs in midfield.

forevrared

Jones isn't the limited squad player who didn't really excel at any position that O'Shea was, though. United can't really afford to waste Jones' development playing him out of position.

He'll probably spend some time between right and center back over the next season or two. After Rio hangs up his boots, however, Vidic/Evans/Jones will likely be the main men and Vidic hasn't got too much time left himself.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Baines just makes no sense whatsoever and Fellaini's not right for us.

More than anything, I'm disappointed that we've waited until so late in the window the step up our pursuit of two players that everyone knew we were after much earlier. Even though I'm disappointed we're after these two, I'd have been happier had they had pre-season with us.

Meh.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Moyes said he was after a defensive midfielder and an attacking one. Fellaini is a very good defensive choice for me. Plus if we go to a midfield 3 he has all the attributes in abundance what we miss in the midfield. A real quality signing for me adds lots of depth and choice and will improve us big time on Cleverley and Anderson. Although I hoped we would sign Fabregas this type of player was needed regardless. Now we just need a Modric or Fabregas type to replace Anderson and our midfield options will be very strong. Whether this is this season or next the signing of Fellaini would really improve us.

Drifter

American
Belgian press sport wereld seems convinced that Fellaini is determined to get his move to OT, so let's just put in a sensible bid and get it over with.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

The club has been working very hard...

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Belgian press sport wereld seems convinced that Fellaini is determined to get his move to OT, so let's just put in a sensible bid and get it over with.

Well I doubt he'd get a better chance to join us. All this rubbish about him feeling unwanted not being first choice won't matter at all to players like Fellaini who would be desperate to play for us or another big club.

LR7

Baines just makes no sense whatsoever and Fellaini's not right for us.

More than anything, I'm disappointed that we've waited until so late in the window the step up our pursuit of two players that everyone knew we were after much earlier. Even though I'm disappointed we're after these two, I'd have been happier had they had pre-season with us.

Meh.
Spot on.

RedRover

Honestly Id rather have luke shaw and will hughes saving some money for the january window
The hatred for Fellaini has reached new levels. Will Hughes looks a decent player by the way. In the championship. Bit of a step up.

And I reckon Luke Shaw would cost a fortune.

devilish

Honestly Id rather have luke shaw and will hughes saving some money for the january window

Id prefer Shaw to Baines myself however

a) its very difficult to buy anyone in the January jumble sale. Many players are cup tied and those who aren't are usually needed by their clubs
b) has it crossed your mind that the Felliani/Baines deal may have any impact on our budget this season. Think about it. We offered 28m the same exact sum given to us by Chelski for Rooney. If we believe that Moyes is not lying then there's ample funds to bring the marquee signing Moyes want and if its true that we're aiming for Ronaldo then we will need the dirty Belgian cnut to do the hardwork
c) Dont we have enough young midfielders already?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I get the feeling that Everton fans absolutely don't want Baines leaving but are okay with fellaini going. Says something about fellaini's quality?

devilish

I get the feeling that Everton fans absolutely don't want Baines leaving but are okay with fellaini going. Says something about fellaini's quality?

Could it be that they prefer Mccarthy to him as he fits in Martinez game perfectly?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The hatred for Fellaini has reached new levels. Will Hughes looks a decent player by the way. In the championship. Bit of a step up.

And I reckon Luke Shaw would cost a fortune.
I've been watching a lot of Will Hughes for the last year. The kid is a class act. Barkley will show what he can do this season, and Williams at Palace could become a top midfielder too. Some good young midfield talent around.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Quite excited about this one now. Offers something completely different to what we already have both in midfield and as an attacking option.

Shark

@NotShark
Quite excited about this one now. Offers something completely different to what we already have both in midfield and as an attacking option.
When you consider how many posters on here wanted a 'destroyer' in midfield a while back, it's quite baffling to see so many not in favour of us signing Felliaini, who is good defensively, can chip in with a few goals and is pretty decent on the ball. I think that he'll prove a lot of people wrong if we end up signing him. He has more to his game than a lot of people on here seem to think.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
When you consider how many posters on here wanted a 'destroyer' in midfield a while back, it's quite baffling to see so many not in favour of us signing Felliaini, who is good defensively, can chip in with a few goals and is pretty decent on the ball. I think that he'll prove a lot of people wrong if we end up signing him. He has more to his game than a lot of people on here seem to think.
He's never seemed a great tackler to me. I've wanted us to sign a tackler but one with more class on the ball and better at... tackling.

Cina

A lot of people didn't, considering the formation we play, a lot wanted a more offensively minded, creative midfielder to partner Carrick, and/or a backup for Carrick.

There's a reason SAF said he didn't like defensive midfielders, because he knew they weren't ideal for us.

Shark

@NotShark
He's never seemed a great tackler to me. I've wanted us to sign a tackler but one with more class on the ball and better at... tackling.
His defensive game is more about positioning, trying to get that interception. He can get stuck in too when he wants to, and even though he can be rash, I think we've needed somebody with a presence for a while in midfield.

Redfighter

Officially gullible
At the secret training camp for United Militia
I think Baines will always look impressive there because of the role he plays, they love him. Fellaini has hit the ceiling there, the team isn't good enough overall so his contribution is underrated. When he comes here he'll improve as a player and we'll reap the benefits.

Redfighter

Officially gullible
At the secret training camp for United Militia
His defensive game is more about positioning, trying to get that interception. He can get stuck in too when he wants to, and even though he can be rash, I think we've needed somebody with a presence for a while in midfield.
Like the first match last season against Everton. If we'd had Fellaini our midfield wouldn't have been bossed by Fellaini

Status
Not open for further replies.