Fellaini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew~

Did he look rubbish tonight? He's no world beater (although he did his best impression of one) but he's blatantly not rubbish. He completely dominated us.
Meh? We had a central midfielder marking him. And none of our midfielders was inclined to cover the second ball either. Players like him do not belong anywhere near a club like United.

An Irish Red

Meh? We had a central midfielder marking him. And none of our midfielders was inclined to cover the second ball either. Players like him do not belong anywhere near a club like United.
Fellaini was everywhere (dropping deep, in the channels, off the striker) and was winning absolutely everything. Saying "we had a central midfielder marking him" is just making excuses. Nobody was getting close to him.

Sw33t

No, he just dominates a club like United.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
He played as a big lump target man. Didn't even play in midfield.

Obviously Moyes used him to get at our defense which was lacking recognized CB and fair play it worked.

Why would people want him for our midfield based on this performance?

davisjw

He's a great player with a great range of skills including aireal, passing, and shooting. He's as close to Yaya Toure as I've seen ie a powerful, big, two-way player.

I'd take him once we realize Fletcher is not coming back.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Did he look rubbish tonight? He's no world beater (although he did his best impression of one) but he's blatantly not rubbish. He completely dominated us.
Andy Carroll would have scored a hat trick tonight. Thank goodness it was only Everton.

Dion

We need a player to stop someone like him, not him.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I always talk sense - I'm just not talking very sensitive sense (since I didn't see the 1-0).
You do when it's not regarding something you're biased with. I know that. But even when people talk neutrally about football they can still often be wrong. You've been right on at least 4 different threads tonight. Couldn't stop yourself from a little wumming though (Carrick thread).

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Wasn't massively impressed by him, at least not in the GO OUT AND SIGN HIM kind of way.

We were fecked over by injuries really because it meant we had to play a midfield consisting of
- a small chap booked after his first tackle in the 10th minute
- a small chap making his competitive debut for the club and his first appearance in the country
- a small chap making his first PL start for 10 months

against Fellaini, who is at the Yaya Toure end of the physical presence scale (but without sharing the skill level).

(the fecked over by injuries bit being having to play Carrick as a defender when usually we'd have him contesting the first ball and Ferdinand/Evans sweeping up).

Bo_7iDaR

Always liked the look of him ever since Everton signed him. Seems like a good all-round player and a huge presence aerially, physically and even mentally.

Like many posters have already said, he might not be a world beater right now, but damn, both of this performance and the one last season at home, the day we effectively lost the title, are some of the most impressive I've seen against us this year. Would definitely improve our midfield.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We lack steel in midfield and let's face it, its our major weakness, waiting to be exposed badly by teams like Everton.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Wasn't massively impressed by him, at least not in the GO OUT AND SIGN HIM kind of way.

We were fecked over by injuries really because it meant we had to play a midfield consisting of
- a small chap making his competitive debut for the club and his first appearance in the country

against Fellaini, who is at the Yaya Toure end of the physical presence scale (but without sharing the skill level).

(the fecked over by injuries bit being having to play Carrick as a defender when usually we'd have him contesting the first ball and Ferdinand/Evans sweeping up).
Let's be honest, he gives us hell regardless of who we start with.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We should sign him just so we don't have to fecking play against him.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

That is such a shit excuse. The only midfielder unavailable was Carrick hence it's practically our first choice.

INF-AMOS

Obviously Moyes used him to get at our defense which was lacking recognized CB and fair play it worked.

Well seen as Fellaini wasn't even in their midfied has to make you wonder then why our midfield couldn't play through the mighty midfield pair of Phil Neville and Darren Gibson better.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's a good player. I remember him for liege against liverpool and he's done well for Everton. People say he's a lump, but his touch and awareness put us on the back foot all night. It's up to Everton to get the best out of him. I don't doubt he'll end up at a bigger club in a year or two.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna

Hmmm! Don't know, could it be for the way he lead his team, the determination, desire, the all round inspiration he provided for his teammates?

He looks a feckin winner! Think back to how he performed at OT when we were 3-1 and 4-2 up. He was runnin round closing people down, refusing to go down without a fight. He was the difference between Everton losing and drawing that game,and he was the difference again last night.

If you don't think we could benefit from that type of attitude, then i don't know what you have been watching mate. Yet another game where we created nothing after going a goal down.

There was no fight and no real sincere belief we could get anything. Those type of insipid submissions are becoming far too commonplace when the chips are down, and that should concern us all.

Coxy

We lack steel in midfield and let's face it, its our major weakness, waiting to be exposed badly by teams like Everton.
I'd agree with that - you guys need a Keane type again - Fellaini would do well.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Vidic was marking Distin, who is probably better in the air than Fellaini

KanieKaned

He's a great player with a great range of skills including aireal, passing, and shooting. He's as close to Yaya Toure as I've seen ie a powerful, big, two-way player.

I'd take him once we realize Fletcher is not coming back.
Yaya Toure he is not, get to grips will ya lads, he had a whopper game against us if he continues to do that against all the top teams then there might be something to it, but until then he's still an average player who has just had the game of his life against us.

Our midfielders were all midgets against him they were never gonna get the beating of him in the air, even Vida wasnt going near him as he's only back and he still wouldnt have been able to stop the threat.

We were also pretty shite at covering the people he was knocking the ball down to.

RedRover

He also won plenty off Vidic, one of the best centre-backs about.

He also used the ball well when he had it. Rarely looked flustered and held the ball up well. I'm not advocating going out and signing him, because he's best played off the forward rather than deeper in midfield, and he's not what we need, but he played well last night and is clearly a very good player. The difference between the sides.

Coxy

Yaya Toure he is not, get to grips will ya lads, he had a whopper game against us if he continues to do that against all the top teams then there might be something to it, but until then he's still an average player who has just had the game of his life against us.

Our midfielders were all midgets against him they were never gonna get the beating of him in the air, even Vida wasnt going near him as he's only back and he still wouldnt have been able to stop the threat.

We were also pretty shite at covering the people he was knocking the ball down to.
Whilst he is certainly no Toure - he is far better than what you have got - and he played fantastic last season, including against the top teams. It's not like that was the only game he has ever played well in you know...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He also won plenty off Vidic, one of the best centre-backs about.

He also used the ball well when he had it. Rarely looked flustered and held the ball up well. I'm not advocating going out and signing him, because he's best played off the forward rather than deeper in midfield, and he's not what we need, but he played well last night and is clearly a very good player. The difference between the sides.
I don't think he is. I just think Moyes saw how much he was good in that role against you and exploited it. His stats and how he has played for us season by season prove that he is an excellent defensive minded midfielder. (ball winner, whatever you want to call it). Sure he can play behind the striker when we are short on numbers but for me his place will be beside Gibson.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Vidic was marking Distin, who is probably better in the air than Fellaini
Rooney was marking Distin, Vidic was marking Jagielka (and made a couple of really important challenges on him, he might've scored midway through the second half if Carrick was on him). We had our two best headers on their two best headers, everyone else in our team is pretty poor in the air while they still have Distin and Jelavic - we did the best we could from corners, we were handicapped without Rio and they're one of the most physical sides in the league. Shit happens.

Cina

It really was a horribly unfortunate game to be missing half our defense.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I'd agree with that - you guys need a Keane type again - Fellaini would do well.
He'd do well to slow down every passing move we make. He was like a good Andy Carroll last night. And I don't want an Andy Carroll, even a good one.

Why does everyone fail to see the big fecker played up front last night?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rooney was marking Distin, Vidic was marking Jagielka (and made a couple of really important challenges on him, he might've scored midway through the second half if Carrick was on him). We had our two best headers on their two best headers, everyone else in our team is pretty poor in the air while they still have Distin and Jelavic - we did the best we could from corners, we were handicapped without Rio and they're one of the most physical sides in the league. Shit happens.
Carrick is much more physically likely to match Jagielka in the air rather than fellaini!. The only person from goal kicks / long balls that was dealing with fellaini was vidic, he has the jumping ability and timing to get to the ball first.

Carrick is wank in the air, fellaini actually put him on his ass after completing the header :lol: it was a huge phsyical mismatch and something which cost us the game IMO.

If vidic was marking him from the corner, i dont think he scores.

Hal9000

If he was playing for us, he'd only play 5 games a season.

Every ref in the league will start to notice all the elbows he throws around.

Status
Not open for further replies.