Football at the Olympics

jeff_goldblum

Uruguay're lucky that that Rolin (CB) is playing well. Coates looks out of his depth, all I've seen him do is play people onside (including for the goal).

Oh wow what a free kick.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I was wondering why Ramirez didn't take the previous one instead of Cavani

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You were saying?
Still 45 minutes left!

Ramirez has hopefully destroyed their confidence. ;)

EDIT: I'd expect a combo of them to 'destroy' most of the defences in this competition. Just not on their A game today and UAE have played very well.

Chabon

Just looking at the expected first team GB will be putting out, and then considering the players who could have been involved with a bit more luck and a less retarded manager. Depressing stuff.

Sylar

Tabarez has been around for ages it seems.

Good last ditched tackle there. UAE need to push on and could get caught on the counter. 3 or 4-1?? Hope UAE equalise though.

antohan

Well chuffed for Lodeiro. He was the second coming until he moved to warm benches at Ajax, red on his first game in the WC, broken foot against Ghana... Just moved to Botafogo after two years of stunted development.

Here's hoping...

antohan

Tabarez has been around for ages it seems.
Which has made an enormous difference. He learned from his first experience at Italia 90, he is the only one that sussed that we would never have a chance calling up a random collection of players scattered around the world.

He chose a young team six years ago, drew the line and has been managing it as a club side ever since: always the same core group, regardless of form, and tracks the progress of those in the youth teams to gradually include 1-2 players in every cycle (not callup, not year, cycle: WCQ, WC, Copa América, WCQ).

These Olympics are important in that Forlán is hardly going to make 2014 so all eyes on how Ramirez and/or Lodeiro work with Suarez-Cavani.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Did I just see a big screen inside OT then?

antohan

More of the same here. Pérez is the other one getting on so partners for Arévalo Ríos are being groomed. Calzada off and the one coming in being more the dogfight type.

antohan

Suarez has been shite... not that I'm getting any joy out of such a performance...
He is getting dumber by the hour. He didn't want to do the recon of the OT pitch as it would be "bad luck". I'm sure the boos are getting to him. fecking scouse "poor me" syndrome :mad:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Is it compulsary for Suarez to be a fecking twat every game?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Suarez is a cnut.

:lol: The commentator in the US says you have to respect Suarez because he was a cnut before the Evra incident and is still a cnut afterwards. Respect his incorrigibility.

Baxter

Suarez is a cnut.

:lol: The commentator in the US says you have to respect Suarez because he was a cnut before the Evra incident and is still a cnut afterwards. Respect his incorrigibility.
:lol: Fair enough!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Mexico, Spain, Switzerland and Uruguay have been underwhelming/disappointing so far. Both European teams have gotten a red. I'm gonna root for the Asian and African teams. I don't like the 3 players over 23 business. It's stupid. It's so heavily depended on chance because of where players play.

antohan

Mexico, Spain, Switzerland and Uruguay have been underwhelming/disappointing so far. Both European teams have gotten a red. I'm gonna root for the Asian and African teams. I don't like the 3 players over 23 business. It's stupid. It's so heavily depended on chance because of where players play.
What's the downside? That some teams can strengthen more than others? It's up to them to choose and if some have better players fair enough.

The upside, and I think it's a big one, is that you can test the young players alongside some of their more senior ones. Everyone here was desperate to go: Forlán, Lugano and Godín in particular because it could be their last major tournament.

The manager's take was Pérez and Forlán may be past it in 2014 and he needs to test who may be "the new Pérez" and maybe not the new Forlán but how to play without him, so he took the ones who depend on them: Arévalo Ríos as DM partner and Cavani-Suárez in attack. It is not about winning but testing in tournament conditions (not friendlies or risking qualification in a WCQ).

If anything, it makes the Olympics more important and relevant to the NT managers and younger players who get a massive incentive to perform and make the step up. It also pisses off the scousers who are doing preseason without a key player. Long may it continue.