Gaming Football Manager 2009

El B

I had absolutely no luck getting FM09 running on linux. So installed FM07 and im up and running, happy days. Anyone have any good suggestions for a team to start out with?

El B

I was actually contemplating that. See if i can get them into the prem by 2009. I'll have a think while eating breakfast. Im off now until monday so i can see a marathon of FM coming on.

karan316

Just noticed we have a massive thread on FM09 here!

I'll update on my game in a bit.

Cesc - about the player development, obviously a lot depends on how much first team football you give to the players in question. But assuming thats similar (ie both Balotelli & Saivet played a fair bit) it then depends on the players personality. Players with high determination & especially those with professional attitude (you can sometimes tell from their personality type) will usually develop far quicker.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I just bought him for my QPR game as I couldn't get a permit for Borbon and don't know if there's any other good young British RWB's, maybe he didn't develop for you as he'd moved abroad. Did he actually start for you, or was he just coming off from the bench?
Nah, I know about the best way to have the best youth progress in this game; that is, play them. Often. He got a bit better here and there, and to be fair he wasn't bad even when playing for me. But he would never be great either, it seemed. I just didn't want to waste anymore time, having another two great talents at right back (even though one has now slipped back into the "can be almost as good as X" stage).

Edit: I just checked, and Santon is indeed a -9 in the database. I guess he was closer to 150 than 180 in my game. There's no guarantee in FM (except for players you know have a certain PA) :D

Sakho didn't disappoint though. I'm only a few years in, really, and he's already a top defender. And he's going to remain one for the better part of 10 years. Evans, I'm not so sure about. I had planned to make those two my regular pairing, and while he's done well enough, he's not in Sakho's class. I might look to get another top class player in while keeping him as a good #3.

zain

Believe
Nah, I know about the best way to have the best youth progress in this game; that is, play them. Often. He got a bit better here and there, and to be fair he wasn't bad even when playing for me. But he would never be great either, it seemed. I just didn't want to waste anymore time, having another two great talents at right back (even though one has now slipped back into the "can be almost as good as X" stage).

Edit: I just checked, and Santon is indeed a -9 in the database. I guess he was closer to 150 than 180 in my game. There's no guarantee in FM (except for players you know have a certain PA) :D

Sakho didn't disappoint though. I'm only a few years in, really, and he's already a top defender. And he's going to remain one for the better part of 10 years. Evans, I'm not so sure about. I had planned to make those two my regular pairing, and while he's done well enough, he's not in Sakho's class. I might look to get another top class player in while keeping him as a good #3.

Federico Fazio..

zain

Believe
In my 3rd season with UNited, after I won the league in my 2nd season..

I'm absolutely shocked that I find myself languishing in 10th place in the table in mid December. I jsut can't point where I've gone wrong however. Just not being able to grind the results away I was doing so last season, just been conceding early goals and not been able to recover, my strikers aren't finishing or taking the chances, Nani can't stop blasting the ball from ridiculous distances and doesn't like it when I tell him not to mindlessly blast it..
Rooney out for 5 weeks, Aguero out for 4 weeks. Mata (who i signed and was doing brilliantly) out for 4 weeks..And i've got Liverpool in the FA Cup next..

I'm really really really annoyed and my job is insecure. I can't believe it since i've not changed any tactics or anything at all that worked so well for me last year where I won the league.

I've strengthened the squad, but definitely not shuffled as many players around to upset the balance of the team either....Really pissed and frustrating now while I was actually LOVING the game last season..

I've dipped back into my old United game, and for some reason the processing is so slow, takes ages to do the weekend fixtures

Any ideas, as I've got another with 6/7 leagues that are so quick

nimic

something nice
Scout
Federico Fazio..
Yeah, he's on my shortlist. Excellent player.

I've dipped back into my old United game, and for some reason the processing is so slow, takes ages to do the weekend fixtures

Any ideas, as I've got another with 6/7 leagues that are so quick
Are you running a very high detail level? If you're properly simulating all the games from all the leagues (and cups, and internationals), I can imagine it would get quite slow. Personally I only properly simulate the big 3 leagues, and the big tournaments. I don't care if League 2 matches are a bit more abstractly simulated.

Boothy

Denmark just offered me the national squad job, never done an international manager game, it'd be boring IMO

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Denmark just offered me the national squad job, never done an international manager game, it'd be boring IMO
I took the Spain job. Naturally I was ace at it and won literally everything in sight

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Started off quite well with my QPR side, won four games on the trot (one being a cup match) whilst only conceeding one goal. That's with my first choice RWB (Santon) and best player (Bikey) out with their respective International Squads too.

Bikey's probably my only Premiership quality player ATM, he's actually very good stat-wise.

I've got a fecking massive squad as I bought a whole lot of players, unfortunately I can't get rid of most of the ones I want out as they're 'new' to the club.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Mid-season slump is in full force. Being in and around the top 4 all season i've dropped to 11th. Luckily i've lined up some good signings for January so as long as i don't drop too many points until then i should be ok.

Indeed! Just go to Options > Detail Level.

It might not be your problem, but it doesn't hurt hurt to give it a go.
Nah, hasn't seemed to work. Cheers though

Just in October and am doing well with United, 6 wins from 7, and two points clear of City. For some reason we media predicted for second, despite winning the league four seasons running, and two CLs in that time.

Am loving Marquinhos, have had him for a while...and he's not really done it for me, but this season he's really coming good. He's currently 9 goals in 7 games, and averaging 7.84, previous three seasons he was averaging 7ish.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
So I managed to finish 3rd with Aberdeen in first season. And all I got was zero transfer budget and lower wage limit. I can't even sign free agent fat Viduka who asks 3k a week. :(

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's starting to piss me off that Arsenal turn into some unbeatable force. That is, unbeatable for me. That is, unbeatable over a season, not in one game. I actually turned my early terrible record, and now I haven't lost to them in at least 2-3 seasons, beating them in the CL final last season. But I just can't beat them in the league. I did one season, where I got 94 points. The past two seasons I've had 87 and 89 points, and finished 3rd and 2nd. They have had 97 in both.

And this is with the last patch, where they are nerfed. Granted, I have a few hickups every season, like just now when I conceded the equalizer away to Aston Villa in the 4th of 3 minutes of overtime. But this shit is ridiculous. They simply shouldn't be getting that many points, every season. No matter how many cups I win (and I've started winning quite a few), that is some demoralizing shit right there. I'm Manchester United, and I can't win the fecking league (once, in 4 seasons).

I'm now 6 points behind in early January. They have 17-2-1, the draws being me and City, the loss being Liverpool.

I'm going to snap. I'm going to do something crazy over a game of Football Manager.

Edit: Would it be bad of me to offload Rooney? Attacking midfielder, different striker instructions, doesn't matter, I can't get him to work in my team. In the season I won the league he scored 15 in 31 in the league, but other than that he's been frankly poor. Now that I converted Ronaldo into a striker I'm honestly not sure I need him.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
i have trouble trying to get Rooney to "work" in my team now. I really dont want to resort to offloading him, for the obvious reasons, but either playing Marquinhos or simply a second striker (crazy Targetman-regen plus Bojan = goals) in his stead always seems to improve the performances. Its a bit frustrating.

Also agree about Arsenal - even after the nerfs they are too good. In the 2013/14 season for me, they went almost the entire season without being beaten, I only won the league because they had dropped quite a few points from draws whilst I had considerably less draws.

phelans shorts

crunch time, champs league semi at anfield, 1-0 at the san siro, decided to play on the counter attack at pool, so no ibrahimovic who picked up a knock recently and sanchez who was filling in was incredible, scoring the goal at the san siro, getting a wondergoal in the milan derby which ended 1-0, ripped fiorentina apart in my last game (finished 3-3, a win and i would have won the league and they were given a blatant offside goal in added time :mad:) joe mattock is a quality stand in at left back, already in 10 games outscored maxwell who is meant to be one of the best attacking full backs going (he has played 2 seasons)

nimic

something nice
Scout
I just remembered what the problem with Arsenal was, mainly. Yes, some of their players are overrated (Adebayor practically always scoring a huge amount of goals), and yes, their youngsters are way overrated, but that isn't the main problem. The main problem, as it turned out, is Wenger. He's simply too good in the game. He's too good at making formations and tactics work. I just checked, and Wenger is still the manager in my game. I expect they will do a lot worse after he retires. Which I hope is shortly...

phelans shorts

on mine arsenal were walking away with the league, but united pipped them by a good way, i dont know what went wrong but it did, big style.

on mine barca and madrid is the other semi, madrid won 4-1 at the bernabué so it looks like they are playing at home in the champs league final

nimic

something nice
Scout
I just drew 1-1 at home to a poor Tottenham. We both scored early, and then I had about a million chances, give or take. It's fecking unbelievable. Rooney is gone as soon as summer comes, he's useless. Not to say that Ronaldo, Vagner Love, Marquinhos, Ferdinand and Messi shouldn't all have scored at least one goal in that game, but there's only so much I can take.

I just checked Adebayor. He has 17 goals in 17 games so far this season. And 12 assists. 8 times Man of the Match. In 17 games. In all competitions, 23 goals in 24 games, with 16 assists. 12 times Man of the Match. In 24 games.

Who the feck is that? :houllier:

Edit: I just lost to Blackburn, after Sakho decided to pick up two yellow cards in the space of about 5 seconds. I still had about a million chances, mind. I'm pretty close to just stop playing on this game altogether. I might win the FA Cup and the Champions League, but if I can't win the league I don't see the point.

I'd be interested to know how the fans would take the sale of Rooney, I can't imagine them liking it

As you can see I've not had much problem with Rooney. Injuries are a concern, he had a two month one in the first season (2008-09), and he's broken his leg which is why he's yet to play this season. So, that explains the first season, not sure what happened in 2010-11, as I don't remember it being a woeful season for him. He must have scored a bucketload of CL goals. Is annoying that this stat page only has PL goals.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Wenger might be winning the league, but I got him back good by playing Fabregas for all 90 minutes of a Spain friendly against Japan, even though he asked for 45. Hah, take that!

nimic

something nice
Scout
Did you play him out of position?
I still wanted to win :p

It's not like Fabregas is going to get upset, anyway. Wenger might get a bit upset, but he used him disliking me as a reason not to accept my £70 million bid for Fabregas earlier, so I can't see what he's going to do to me.

Oh, and in their next match, against Tottenham? They lost. It was an FA Cup game, of course, but I think that's probably a good thing, considering I messed up the league, and now lie 8 points behind with 12 games to go. Not impossible if they implode (I have seen Arsenal do it in a few other games where I wasn't United), but my best bet is keeping the job by doing a cup or two...

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I just remembered what the problem with Arsenal was, mainly. Yes, some of their players are overrated (Adebayor practically always scoring a huge amount of goals), and yes, their youngsters are way overrated, but that isn't the main problem. The main problem, as it turned out, is Wenger. He's simply too good in the game. He's too good at making formations and tactics work. I just checked, and Wenger is still the manager in my game. I expect they will do a lot worse after he retires. Which I hope is shortly...
He was fired/left in his first season in mine (same too with Moanrinho) and he ended up at Inter.

nimic

something nice
Scout
He was fired/left in his first season in mine (same too with Moanrinho) and he ended up at Inter.
He usually ends up at another club fairly quickly, so I think I've just been unlucky here. And he didn't win the league for the first two seasons either (first Chelsea, then me, and now Arsenal twice). I think I've seen him end up at France a few times as well, so I hope I get them early in a tournament as Spain, so I can knock them the feck out and get their manager fired :lol:

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's almost sad that FM09 doesn't have virtual scousers with virtual conspiracy theories.

The draw was just made for the Champions League Quarter Finals.

Real Madrid - Barcelona
Chelsea - Bayern München
Lyon - Arsenal
FC Copenhagen - Manchester United

Liam1989

heyyy -- fort id post in here seeing as i read this one quite alot if im on here....

ive had a game going for a while.... started as weymouth who start of in the conference premier -- lost in the final of playoffs

next season finished 3rd.....

2011 i won the league :)

2012 got promotion by finishing 3rd

2013 finished 14th in league one....

2014 finished 12th...

2015 finished6th... but got into the playoffs and got promoted ! :)

2016 finished 16th in the championship

2017 finished 14th.... god i hate this league sometimes

2018 finished 8th!

2019 finished 3rd and won promotion to the premiership :)

so far 3 games in won 1 draw 1 and lost 1

the win was a 5-0 win over liverpoo:)