Gaming Football Manager 2014

NoLogo

I'm trying the 4-1-4-1 with Southampton now, still tinkering about. Having similar problems to you though. In defence it's solid but yeah players stay quite deep when in possession when you want them to be pushing up and making runs forward.

And then if you station them higher and play a higher line they it can look fantastic in attack but you get burned in defence. FM really needs two formations - one for attack and one for defence.

I was hoping that the player roles in the 2 CM and DM positions can mean that they strike the right balance in attack and defence. I'm currently using an anchor man, DLP (s) and BBM (s) but seems it's too defensive.

What's a good combination of player roles for 2 CMs and 1 DM? Keeping in mind I've got players like Wanayama, Scheniderlin, Ward-Prouse, Cork (basically the default Southampton guys).
The central triangle imo should always consist about a defensive minded player, a ball distributing player and a player that gets involved in attacking moves. I like to use a DLP-D, Box to Box and a AP-A or CM-A depending on how attacking I want him to be. The box to box could also be a CM-S or a BWM-S depending on which role suites your player the best.

There are of course a lot of other combinations that could be used but I would in general stick to one defensive role probably best used in the DM position, unless you want to create a sort of a 4-2-3-1 going forward than you might want to use the DM player with a support duty and one of the CMs with a defensive duty, as well as one CM on support and one on an attacking duty.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Real one. I told them I'd pay £1.3m and give them £30m when he plays one game for the national team, but the German national team aren't in the game :smirk:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not sure but I'm going to bid for more German players using the same tactic when I get home. Go Wolfsburg!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Real one. I told them I'd pay £1.3m and give them £30m when he plays one game for the national team, but the German national team aren't in the game :smirk:
This cracked me up :lol::lol:

harms

Staff
Wow so apparently Barca are the masters of corner goals and crosses in this game. Got beat 6-3 in the cup. 4 goals from corners, 2 goals from crosses that Neymar headed in without any resistance. Sometimes I can't suppress the feeling that player stats in this game don't even matter at all.

Not to mention that the next relegation candidate that passes their way around my players with perfectly executed tiki-taka will remind me that there is no such thing like a recognizable team playing style in this game at all.
Yep, but in my save Neymar is crossing and (!) Messi is scoring. He is unstoppable, he scored 2 against me in the cup, 1 in the league and scored 2 headers against Madrid in the cup final (they beat them 3:0 and the third one was also from the corner, the kid named Volland scored it).

He isn't scoring against me three matches in a row now, but I don't know, is it me or am I just lucky.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
November of my first season in the Bundeliga, and I'm tied for top of the table with Bayern(Dortmund won the last two years, but have been slow to start this year). Only in 2nd due to goal difference. Haven't lost a game either, but in at least 3 games I threw away points due to wingers burning me down the flanks. Two top free agent full backs available, but I don't have the wages for them, might go cap in hand, and swap to a 4-4-1-1.

Last game I played 3-1-4-1-1, :lol:

Monaco are after one of my top youth prospects, but they're looking to buy cheap. I have no intention of selling cheap, I don't exactly need him though. Could make the difference to bring in those fullbacks.

harms

Staff
I'm trying the 4-1-4-1 with Southampton now, still tinkering about. Having similar problems to you though. In defence it's solid but yeah players stay quite deep when in possession when you want them to be pushing up and making runs forward.

And then if you station them higher and play a higher line they it can look fantastic in attack but you get burned in defence. FM really needs two formations - one for attack and one for defence.

I was hoping that the player roles in the 2 CM and DM positions can mean that they strike the right balance in attack and defence. I'm currently using an anchor man, DLP (s) and BBM (s) but seems it's too defensive.

What's a good combination of player roles for 2 CMs and 1 DM? Keeping in mind I've got players like Wanayama, Scheniderlin, Ward-Prouse, Cork (basically the default Southampton guys).
I do like to have my DM passing the ball (DLP or Regista), have one BWM in defense and the other one more attacking-minded.
Quite like the Half Back role, actually, currently using it with BWM-D and DLP-S higher up the pitch, but I have a very fluid system so I don't have the problem with too much defensive-minded midfielders on the pitch (I have an APM or a trequartista also).

Mander

So, sold Clyne to Man City for £ 33 million... considering he was only a rotation player, think that's decent. Just hadn't noticed that Crystal Palace would get 20 % of the fee. Feck's sake.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Monaco are after one of my top youth prospects, but they're looking to buy cheap. I have no intention of selling cheap, I don't exactly need him though. Could make the difference to bring in those fullbacks.
Ended up selling the kid, for 4.7m, would have liked a few more, but I have a 50% sell on clause. I did pay 400k for him though, so massive gain. I only get 80% of transfers, but that left me with way more than enough to bring in the two needed full backs.
Alvaro Pereira and Lorenzo di Silverstri.

Pereira's signing left me with a message about increased shirt sales, which is nice.

If I shifted Stanciu to the LW as an Inside Forward or CM as an Advanced Playmaker, I could go to my usual 4-1-2-2-1, but I don't get to use AMC's often, so I want to stick with this 4-4-1-1, or maybe 4-2-3-1, but that might be defensively weak on the wings, and stopping that is the whole point of this sake up.

EDIT: When Rodrigo Gomez is on the bench, I could work a Juve style 3-3-2-2/3-5-2....

So, sold Clyne to Man City for £ 33 million... considering he was only a rotation player, think that's decent. Just hadn't noticed that Crystal Palace would get 20 % of the fee. Feck's sake.
Ouch! That sucks.

Santos J

Was fecking about with the editor before, updating it with a few things like managerial changes etc. that have happened and started doing teams in the CL & Europa for next season so replaced us with Liverpool etc.

On the registered teams for the Europa League United aren't in there as it should be, but I started a game to see if it was all working fine & United seem to go straight into the draw for the Europa League group stages even though it doesn't say when you pick them that they're in a European competition. Anyone know what's up with that & what I need to do to sort it out?

Levo

Band of Brothers
Was fecking about with the editor before, updating it with a few things like managerial changes etc. that have happened and started doing teams in the CL & Europa for next season so replaced us with Liverpool etc.

On the registered teams for the Europa League United aren't in there as it should be, but I started a game to see if it was all working fine & United seem to go straight into the draw for the Europa League group stages even though it doesn't say when you pick them that they're in a European competition. Anyone know what's up with that & what I need to do to sort it out?
We aren't in the Europa League for a start, if you've updated things such as last seasons positions and cup wins etc. that'll be why were not showing. We haven't qualified.

Santos J

We aren't in the Europa League for a start, if you've updated things such as last seasons positions and cup wins etc. that'll be why were not showing. We haven't qualified.
Yeah I know, I'm not wanting us to be in there, I said that even though on the editor we aren't, when I start a game we go into the group stage draw still.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My Lars Bender trick doesn't seem to be working with any other players. Just picked up ter-Stegen for £6m though, seems very cheap but I'm not complaining.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I'm having ridiculous luck in the transfer marker, especially for my first year in a top div.
Thorgan Hazard, possible free, though I paid 500k to get him instantly.
Rafinha, free.
Regen potentail worldie RW from AC Milan, free.
Narrowly missed out on Miranda. :(

EDIT: Barca landed Barbosa on a free....

Moby

Dick

So after JUST avoiding relegation in the few games I was given at the end of last season, I got a respectable 5th placed finish for St. Pauli in the Second Division. It's a bit bittersweet though. At the start had someone said I would finish 5th I would laugh it off because we were barely able to score, let alone win. And I had a rough start, but that was probably due me buying loads of players, most on free, and after setting the Team Cohesion training on heavy, in a few weeks things settled down and we went on an unbeaten run of 10 games which catapulted us from lower half to touching distance of title win. But then a few draws towards the end of the season meant it was close but no cigar.

All in all I am delighted with the players and the way they responded. The player of the season, and who almost left the club at the end for greener pastures - Marc Rzatowski. 14 goals and 14 assists to his name, a serious match winner.

What was also interesting was that after reading so many comments on here about strong target men ruling the game, and St. Pauli already possession two very good ones, I thought it would be a comfortable job in getting the goals, but they just wouldn't score. I'm pathetic when it comes to wingplay in FM, as well and my tactics usually boil down to possession-esque approach which probably didn't suit them, but their finishing cost me a few points and almost got us relegated so there was no way I was risking another season with them.

Instead, and specially after seeing how I have 2-3 excellent inside forwards, I went ahead and bought two strikers who have the capabilities to be a false 9. The aim was mainly to take the burden of scoring off the front man and allow a system where he can bring others in when he doesn't have the option to go through with it himself and it really worked well. Most of Rzat's goals came through that approach.

I think it was a good thing in the end that we were not promoted, I guess we can do with another year in Second Division and let these youngsters get more experience before we step into the big league. As @Varun very rightly predicted, it was really enjoyable once the team settled down and got used to the system. The talent in Germany is great and most of the goals and buildups are brilliant to watch.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I'm surprised you had such trouble with Target Men, especially if you have good Inside Forwards. Set to support, and given a hold up ball instruction, they should have made your IF's shred teams.

You can also have them head and pull back balls for midfield runners, a BTB or CM(a).

Moby

Dick
I'm surprised you had such trouble with Target Men, especially if you have good Inside Forwards. Set to support, and given a hold up ball instruction, they should have made your IF's shred teams.

You can also have them head and pull back balls for midfield runners, a BTB or CM(a).
I may have gotten a better output if I had more time, in around 7-8 games it was all a turmoil and I just won a few 1-0s with set pieces and long shots. But as I said I am really pathetic when it comes to implementing route 1 football, and I end up giving instructions based on keeping it on the deck. Which is where the problem was, the few times they won it in the air they couldn't get it to someone else but most times they were put through on goal with delicious through balls and they just ballsed it up. I mean, having good hold up play is good but as a striker you would be needing to finish chances specially when the team is fighting for it's life. Plus, I had to play on counter while defending deep, which is why I needed clinical finishers. They were not really good for counters at the time, I guess once you get into the state of dominating most teams in the middle you can get a lot better output.

But yeah I'm pretty much the exception because I keep hearing TM being awesome and they actually are - Nothe, the one I sold fired with all cylinders in his new club - but it's just me and my fancy one touch buildup fetish that pretty much eliminates such players.

I actually had just sold one and wanted to keep the other but needed funds and he went for a nice 1 million dollars!

Flying Fox

So, midway second season in my save with United, just arranged a 20m pound deal for Van Persie to Madrid at the end of the season. Was asking far, far too much for a new contract.

Pearson, Varela, Powell, Lingard, Zaha have all bedded in well. Sent Henriquez on loan to Everton where he's already got like 4 goals in 6 apps. He'll get more game time next season.

Flying Fox

You don't have to play route one with TM's. I never did tbh. Though I did usually play them in a 2 striker system. TM(a) + DLF(s) can be ridiculous.
Yep. Depends on the personnel though.

In my Everton save, I lined up with Lukaku at TM, Barkley at SS, and Pienaar/Mirallas as IFs. Mental setup. Could score goals at any time

Moby

Dick
You don't have to play route one with TM's. I never did tbh. Though I did usually play them in a 2 striker system. TM(a) + DLF(s) can be ridiculous.
That's another thing almost impossible for me, because I always have 2-3 great AMs in the team who are usually my best players and can play wide so going with 2 up front is a bit unbalanced. At this club I went with a defensive 4-2-3-1 with one of the DMs setting up counters - sort of like the present Chelsea. That plus exploit the flanks plus run at defense given all my wide AMs know how to dribble worked well. The false 9 I had was incredibly unselfish as well and would always find someone making a run to put him in a clear cut chance rather than taking the shot himself from stupid angles.

Moby

Dick
That doesn't sound like Chelsea at all. Making runs, clear cut chances? Did you locate any buses near your goalkeeper?
:D I didn't mean a lot of chances every game, few chances but extremely well planned and not wasted.

And yea there were six players guarding the goal. would have been seven if I was in a tight spot towards the end like I was in the previous season but I', never the one to change a winning setup for no reason so ended the season with 6+4.

naturalized

Supports
nufc
I have a potentially dumb question FAO Brazilian cafites and/or FM pros.

I took charge of Guaratingueta CF in the Brazilian Serie B in an unemployed challenge and got promoted (in real life, they were relegated to Serie C that same season!). I'm now in a "Sao Paolo State Championship" alongside the Serie A. I've tried googling this and discovered its some kind of parallel league championship alongside the normal Brasileirao.

1. Why wasn't Guaratingueta in it before? How are the rules for entry determined? FM doesn't say.
2. If I get relegated back to Serie B, as seems likely, will I be barred from the Paulistao?
3. What is the relationship of the Paulistao in relation to the Copa do Brasil?

Thanks!

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
IIRC, Lukaku got sent off early one game.

Didn't want to change my shape, so left the above three as is. Barkley ended up with a brace. Think it was against Sunderland or something :lol:
Can make some effective formations without strikers, really. Heck, a lot of my 4-1-2-2-1's have a Trequartista leading the line, I bet it'd be equally, if not more effective if I dropped them to the AMC position.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
:D I didn't mean a lot of chances every game, few chances but extremely well planned and not wasted.

And yea there were six players guarding the goal. would have been seven if I was in a tight spot towards the end like I was in the previous season but I', never the one to change a winning setup for no reason so ended the season with 6+4.
I remember playing one game with a 5-5-0-0-0 line up.... Felt dirty, but it done the job. :lol: