Gaming Football Manager 2021 (FM21)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Every game against the bottom teams is still so frustrating. I am winning more of them than before but I just had one that had zero highlights and ended 0 - 0. Infuriating.

I started the game Very Attacking and on 65 minutes I switched to a 3-2-3-2 and still absolutely nothing.

Had another game where I switched to that formation and we scored but it was ruled out for offside :o

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It's not a glitch, your Assistant Manager is now classed under the coaches category (Assistant, General, Fitness, Goalkeeping), so if you're at capacity with the amount of coaches you are allowed at the club you will need to release one before you can hire a new Assistant. Before you release one, ask the board to increase the amount of coaches you can have at the club, they may say yes.
If your assistant is under the coach category then you can hire more than one. If it’s on it’s own you can have only one.

Chipper

Adulterer.
It's not a glitch, your Assistant Manager is now classed under the coaches category (Assistant, General, Fitness, Goalkeeping), so if you're at capacity with the amount of coaches you are allowed at the club you will need to release one before you can hire a new Assistant. Before you release one, ask the board to increase the amount of coaches you can have at the club, they may say yes.
Cheers, I've asked for another slot and they've given it me.

I did have a slot there already but that was apparently reserved for Head of youth development only. Maybe they reduced the number of slots I was allowed at some point as the ass man, fitness coach and goalie coach were already at the club when I started. If so, they're being a bit tight, I've cut down on a lot of what I thought were unnecessary staff that were already here too to save the club money as every penny counts at this level and I was keeping us solvent.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Probably not anymore. We’ve just moved up to the 6th best league in Europe and got 2 automatic UCL group stage places.
Quick question for you. In years past enthusiasm and player development scores for nations was locked in. Are you seeing a big improvement in the Austrian player pool as you have been improving the league?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Pain.

I was top for most of the season but my run in fixtures were shite, coupled with about 4 infuriating 0 - 0 draws with a combined 1 highlight in all of them. Last game of the season a 4 - 2 away win at Chelsea, obviously.

Not sure if it's the game or me having a good defense and crap strikers but those kind of matches make me want to throw my laptop.

Board have given me £117m to spend in the summer and are expanding the stadium to 39,000. I have to ground share with Fulham at Craven Cottage :lol:

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Quick question for you. In years past enthusiasm and player development scores for nations was locked in. Are you seeing a big improvement in the Austrian player pool as you have been improving the league?
Youth rating I think is still locked but Austria has about an average rating. I looked at the ratings before choosing Austria because I wanted to do a build a nation type save. Unfortunately it really takes a long time to really improve the National team.

I have played I think 8 seasons now and I have improved my facilities to the maximum but I need for more teams in the league to have more money and better players.

The good thing for me is that this season it was LASK who got the other CL spot ahead of RB Salzburg who are dwindling a little although they actually beat me this season. I’m happy for another team to get some extra cash though because that’s the most frustrating part, waiting for the other teams to catch up if they even can. Short of just giving teams money you just have to hope they do well. Outside of when they play me of course :wenger:

Berbaclass

I found this guy who I think is really good but all of a sudden I don't want to spend big money. I arranged the transfer last night and thought I would sleep on it but I really think he's just far too good to let go to another top team.

Here he is.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I won the SPL and the Scottish League Cup with Aberdeen in my 3rd season

Celtic walked to the title the next season by about 20 points, and we finished 2nd, but it wasn't all bad as we won the Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup.

At the start of my 5th season, we are currently through to the CL Playoff qualifier after demolishing Fenerbahce 5-2 over 2 legs in the previous round.

Chipper

Adulterer.
8 games to go, epic title race developing here, just gone top for the first time all season after 5 wins on the bounce.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This actually reminded me of one of my biggest gripes with the match engine. No matter what you do, the ME refuses to ever actually "waste time". You can slide the bar all the way to the right, go to a defensive shape, doesn' matter. Your player will still never take it to the corner, your GK will still immediately punt the ball downfield, your fullback will still immediately take a throw in. I have had the above happen multiple times (although usually only 1 ET goal) while I am screaming at my players to stop being stupid.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This actually reminded me of one of my biggest gripes with the match engine. No matter what you do, the ME refuses to ever actually "waste time". You can slide the bar all the way to the right, go to a defensive shape, doesn' matter. Your player will still never take it to the corner, your GK will still immediately punt the ball downfield, your fullback will still immediately take a throw in. I have had the above happen multiple times (although usually only 1 ET goal) while I am screaming at my players to stop being stupid.
Yep same. I've set specific instructions before to stay back, play defensive and just knock it long for the last couple of minutes and yet it shows me a highlight of my RB losing the ball halfway up the pitch with everyone attacking as normal?

The TAA goal here came from my goalkeeper and Grealish passing the ball to each other over and over until one lost it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Starting a new game in the Conference South and will try the challenge to get them to the PL. Decided to change one of the teams on Editor to a team I'm calling London FC. Given them a new kit and tweaked little things but have kept the rest of the club the same. Just wanted to make it a little more personal. Will try and keep my team as London based as possible at points through the save but won't hold myself to it if not possible.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Starting a new game in the Conference South and will try the challenge to get them to the PL. Decided to change one of the teams on Editor to a team I'm calling London FC. Given them a new kit and tweaked little things but have kept the rest of the club the same. Just wanted to make it a little more personal. Will try and keep my team as London based as possible at points through the save but won't hold myself to it if not possible.
Couldn't you have just done create a club and put them in the conference south? I've never done it and dont know if it would have made much difference but it seems if you wanted that personal touch that might have been a option worth checking out.

Im struggling to commit to a save atm I might join you down there!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Couldn't you have just done create a club and put them in the conference south? I've never done it and dont know if it would have made much difference but it seems if you wanted that personal touch that might have been a option worth checking out.

Im struggling to commit to a save atm I might join you down there!
Not sure, I've never used that before. I didn't want to change the players that were already there into custom ones. I will have a look though and see which is the better option of the two!

Chipper

Adulterer.
Wahey! Really enjoyed the season, FM is at it's best when you win but it's not too easy and you have to fight all the way. So is real life football for that matter.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
With the regen facepack thing, do i need to do it every season or will it automatically generate for me?

Chipper

Adulterer.
With 6 days remaining on his contract and having already offered him out to clubs for £0 and set for release, my second choice right back who started 3 games all season wants a new deal to reflect his importance to the club. :lol:

YAMS49

Tried lowering your tempo?

Yep same. I've set specific instructions before to stay back, play defensive and just knock it long for the last couple of minutes and yet it shows me a highlight of my RB losing the ball halfway up the pitch with everyone attacking as normal?
Do you change player roles as well?

YAMS49

So you are saying that if you set time wasting on max your player takes the ball into the corner as opposed to trying to score?
Nope, I've never seen a player take the ball to the corner area. Mine do waste time though and are let's say less adventurous in their decision making. But this comes from multiple changes in a tactic that are designed to slow the tempo, make the team more compact and provide options at a shorter range.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Struggling to sign better players in Scottish League 1 than Scottish League 2. Still semi pro and poor as anything.

I use genie scout and even then I'm struggling. Club rep started at 2750 in season 1, finished 3rd and it went to 2758. Won the league in season 2 and now it's 2881, barely any increase so we can't attract much better players. The board even said they were extremely disappointed for not growing our rep, what else could I do besides win the league and gain promotion?

Think this upcoming season is going to be one of establishing ourselves. Good in a way as it's more realistic than flying through the divisions with promotion after promotion, but I suppose I'm used to rapid progression from previous versions of FM/different saves.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I lost 5-1 to Sporting in my CL group. One of the few times when I was dominated in every stat. The group games before I had beaten Arsenal 3-0 and Monaco 4-0. Whilst beating Chievo 10-0 in the league a game before. My next league game I won 7-1 against Perugia.

Robbie Boy

Oh dear! :lol: Ole, Klopp & Lampard are still going strong on mine, Pep was replaced by Bielsa, Pep then replaced Jose at Spurs and now Jose is the England manager :lol:

I did manage to get one over Ole in the Quarters of the Champions League this year though thanks to a last minute equalizer:
Dear god :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Lower league saves seem a bit trickier on this version. On old versions I remember being able to get good young players on loan for nothing but if you want someone decent on this version you're going to have to pay a fair chunk to get them.

Berbaclass

Lower league saves seem a bit trickier on this version. On old versions I remember being able to get good young players on loan for nothing but if you want someone decent on this version you're going to have to pay a fair chunk to get them.
What level you talking? I've only briefly managed lower league this year with Oxford and I built my team on cheap loans. Not sure what it's like below L1/L2.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What level you talking? I've only briefly managed lower league this year with Oxford and I built my team on cheap loans. Not sure what it's like below L1/L2.
National League South :D On older saves you could usually raid Under-18 Prem/Championship sides but you barely get a sniff.