Gaming Football Manager 2022

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You could do that in LMA as well. Not something a manager really does but then a fair few of the things you can do in FM aren't anyway.
Used to love that game. I know creating a stadium isn’t a thing managers do but I do wish FM were a bit better in that aspect.

Holocene

Anyone found use of the data hub yet? Feel like I've only scratched the surface so far.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I've only played with a stopper + cover duo for about half a season until I ended up lowering my back line from higher to standard and switched them to defend. I'm not really sure how much difference it makes but it was quite fun to watch Bailly being a bit crazy in game. Probably depends on what formations you're facing as well.

Does a BPD on cover go forward less? On defend I've noticed they get forward more and really like to dribble this year.
Cover sits back I was enjoying some of the build up it gave us playing a ball playing defender on cover and letting him have space to pick out passes, but I was noticing a few goals where average strikers were nipping in between the two, so might have to go to defend!

Maluco

Bétis Update

We are off to an absolute flier in the league, but we are experiencing major problems with fitness and freshness even at this early stage

Silvio Luíz is the star that we thought he might be when we signed him, and has 14 goals so far in 12 games. He is electric, and already went to the Nou Camp and scored two in a 4-1 win for our biggest result of my time in charge thus far.

Our two young CBs look solid too, although their potential has now fallen a bit. The youngest, Barone , just got his first cap for Argentina and he has 17 pace, which is a bit special for a CB! He can also play all along the back line

The second, Jesus Sanchez, already has 20 caps for Mexico and looks solid, even though his stats aren’t as impressive. He looks the part and the two are rotating with Ampadu, who ended up staying.

Dest has been a revelation at RWB and is having a superb season with 5 assists so far in his first 10 games.

Our new attacking midfielders Nikitovic and Gherghiceanu certainly look the part stats wise, but have failed to make big impacts so far. (See below re:GK)

Of course, Borja Iglesias is defying common sense and serving up superb performances at 33 all along the front line. 8 in 9 so far!

I have two issues. The first is, I don’t trust any of the other players, bar those mentioned. They are step downs and with our debt (-30 million), I don’t really know how we can get more players in, bar through loans.

The second issue I am having is the insane schedule! Our CL group is Dortmund, Ajax and Lazio and I just can’t play these players in all the games. It’s such a drop off, that I am tempted to overplay those key names. We are one win and two draws into a tight group this far.

So yeah, we need 3-4 bodies in that can be relied upon and we don’t have the money to do that. Rabiot came in on a cheap loan, so at least we can field a certain standard of CM in most games, with him, Can, Zakaria and DLP/CB hybrid Kana, rotating.

We are a good side, not a great one, relying on 4-5 players that we are currently overplaying!

I also have 4 young players unhappy because I didn’t buy a GK, despite bringing in two (including a new No.1 that starts every game)

And eternal moaner, Rodri, is still here after rejecting a £20 million deadline day move to Valencia. He is becoming my in game enemy.

SambaBoy

Started a save with Forest. Went up first season, finished 2nd behind Sheff Utd. Unfortunately went straight back down, struggled all season really but then won like 7 out of 9 in the last 9 games of season and was pretty close to staying up.

Luckily the board have retained me and I've kept most of the same players I went up with and signed apart from Chong who I signed on a free, then sold for £8m a year later and Worrall the CB who was originally there who went for £5m.

Maluco

Started a save with Forest. Went up first season, finished 2nd behind Sheff Utd. Unfortunately went straight back down, struggled all season really but then won like 7 out of 9 in the last 9 games of season and was pretty close to staying up.

Luckily the board have retained me and I've kept most of the same players I went up with and signed apart from Chong who I signed on a free, then sold for £8m a year later and Worrall the CB who was originally there who went for £5m.
That sounds like a good save! You will be better prepped now the second time around.

You probably started winning more at the end because you had nothing to lose and went for it. The game doesn’t seem to reward patience or lower lines.

High lines and going for it, even against better sides, is usually the way to go. If you sit back or play cautiously, it just seems to invite pressure in this version.

Lay

With my L. Moscow side, signed 2 shite Russians for cover, Belotti surprisingly doesn’t want to leave even though it’s clear he’s far too good. I’ve got some Romanian club in the Europa Conference qualifiers, I’ll see how well we can do in that tournament but I’m already looking to leave.

Portugal/France/Brazil/Argentina are my preferred options.

Ole is still in charge in 2026. And in more good news for Norway (well kinda), they reached the World Cup final but lost to Brazil 5-0.

Pep got sacked by PSG after finishing 3rd two seasons in a row :lol: Lyon are the new kings of France. Vincent Kompany is conquering the EPL with Man City
Knocked the Romanian team out but had to go to penalties to knock out Aberdeen in the next round. Russian football sucks, we have a Kazak team in the next round who will probably knock me out. The squad is thin and being propped up by the non EU players.

Maluco

Knocked the Romanian team out but had to go to penalties to knock out Aberdeen in the next round. Russian football sucks, we have a Kazak team in the next round who will probably knock me out. The squad is thin and being propped up by the non EU players.
I don’t know why, but it is appealing to me from the perspective that you have to think up creative solutions. Having Belotti in that league sounds amazing and it would be great fun!

Surely you can find those functional WBs and then have a star spine with a top CB, top CM and top CF?

What are the rules exactly and what is the calendar like?

I am intrigued!

Lay

I don’t know why, but it is appealing to me from the perspective that you have to think up creative solutions. Having Belotti in that league sounds amazing and it would be great fun!

Surely you can find those functional WBs and then have a star spine with a top CB, top CM and top CF?

What are the rules exactly and what is the calendar like?

I am intrigued!
To be honest it is interesting, the squad can have 8 non EU players, which seems decent but injuries mean you have to play some shite Russian players. If Belotti is injured (not picked up a single injury so far) then we are fecked. For example my back up striker is currently courted by teams in the French second division for a paltry £80k :lol:

The winter break is 3 months, the league returns to European football in February before it returns to league football.

I rested most of my non EU’s against Aberdeen second leg and lost 2-0 at home! They’re shite and now played my full team against the team from Kazakhstan. We got through and face Fiorentina, a club from Armenia and Slovenia. Fiorentina will smash us! But I reckon we will get through.

My non EU players play Str, left wing, right wing, centre back, centre mid, defensive mid. The other two are multifunctional players. Currently joint top and already beat Zenit away, so could possibly win the league this season. No Russian team in the UCL again and only CSKA Moscow in the Europa. We are the only hope to get the coefficients up so the league gets some automatic places.

Something which seems strange to me but when searching for Russian players, there seems to be very little to choose from, even if I take the filters off. Almost as if I’m not allowed to search them.

Ralf Rangnick is still the DOF, I gave him full control of transfers and he’s signed no one, not even a bid.

All in all, it’s cold as feck, players are shite, crowds are low, transfer values are low, you have a lot of cash but no one worth spending on. The board keep refusing to upgrade any youth or junior coaching so my youth team is god awful.

I kind of wish I waited for the FC Sochi job, only founded in 2018 but have already won the Russian cup in my save, could build that team over a long period into a dynasty.

Last edited:

Maluco

To be honest it is interesting, the squad can have 8 non EU players, which seems decent but injuries mean you have to play some shite Russian players. If Belotti is injured (not picked up a single injury so far) then we are fecked. For example my back up striker is currently courted by teams in the French second division for a paltry £80k :lol:

The winter break is 3 months, the league returns to European football in February before it returns to league football.

I rested most of my non EU’s against Aberdeen second leg and lost 2-0 at home! They’re shite and now played my full team against the team from Kazakhstan. We got through and face Fiorentina, a club from Armenia and Slovenia. Fiorentina will smash us! But I reckon we will get through.

My non EU players play Str, left wing, right wing, centre back, centre mid, defensive mid. The other two are multifunctional players. Currently joint top and already beat Zenit away, so could possibly win the league this season. No Russian team in the UCL again and only CSKA Moscow in the Europa. We are the only hope to get the coefficients up so the league gets some automatic places.

Something which seems strange to me but when searching for Russian players, there seems to be very little to choose from, even if I take the filters off. Almost as if I’m not allowed to search them.

Ralf Rangnick is still the DOF, I gave him full control of transfers and he’s signed no one, not even a bid.

All in all, it’s cold as feck, players are shite, crowds are low, transfer values are low, you have a lot of cash but no one worth spending on. The board keep refusing to upgrade any youth or junior coaching so my youth team is god awful.

I kind of wish I waited for the FC Sochi job, only founded in 2018 but have already won the Russian cup in my save, could build that team over a long period into a dynasty.
I dunno, this sounds like a really cool save! I would love having to pick the non-EU players carefully and the thrill of getting in someone way too good for the league would be great!

I think the European rotation overlap with the league would be a killer though. I am experiencing something similar at the moment, in that I only really trust 8-9 of my players.

I think it sounds great though, and if you did manage to get a few young Russians through the door, you would be laughing!

What are the rules for naturalization if you buy young foreigners?

Lay

I dunno, this sounds like a really cool save! I would love having to pick the non-EU players carefully and the thrill of getting in someone way too good for the league would be great!

I think the European rotation overlap with the league would be a killer though. I am experiencing something similar at the moment, in that I only really trust 8-9 of my players.

I think it sounds great though, and if you did manage to get a few young Russians through the door, you would be laughing!

What are the rules for naturalization if you buy young foreigners?
6 years for Russian citizenship but they can't declare for another nation, if they're declared with no caps they won't get citizenship.

The board just accepted an offer for Belotti.. £13m and he's gone to Leicester :(

Maluco

6 years for Russian citizenship but they can't declare for another nation, if they're declared with no caps they won't get citizenship.

The board just accepted an offer for Belotti.. £13m and he's gone to Leicester :(
Yikes to the first one and :( to the second one. I have my minimum fee clauses really high on my young players, but the board are always a worry, especially in smaller leagues.

Ludens the Red

Anyone found use of the data hub yet? Feel like I've only scratched the surface so far.
Looked at it, head exploded and haven’t returned since.
I think it’s one of those that’s maybe more useful for people who don’t watch highlights or who watch limited highlights. I watch on extended so know exactly where my teams strength and weakness are and who’s doing what.

sebsheep

Cover sits back I was enjoying some of the build up it gave us playing a ball playing defender on cover and letting him have space to pick out passes, but I was noticing a few goals where average strikers were nipping in between the two, so might have to go to defend!
I think they still do that on defend tbh. My favourite is the long goal kick where your CBs decide to hug each other, leaving the striker with a 1v1.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Same here.. Curious how others are using the data hub!
Im not sure how good all the extra stuff is in the game. Ive found a consistent team and formation and signing wonderkids has been the formula to winning multiple titles and havent really went deep into the data hub. Im currently in my 12 season so far and im picking up 2-3 cups a season, without the need of the data editor.

Think I would enjoy designing my own stadium as well, get a few hiccups throughout the build to alter the design would be good.
Or even relocating the team completely to another city would be good, the same way NFL teams have changed cities.

NoLogo

So finally starting into my journeyman game today. Going to start with Werder Bremen in the 2. Bundesliga. Don't want to start too low, because it already takes me ages to get through a single season, so if I start at some English 7th division club I'd get to a top team by the end of next year I'm afraid. :D

Trying to win the title in Germany, France, Spain, Italy and finally England where I want to settle for a big club, hopefully Manchester United and build a dynasty. But I'll take my time getting there.

I'm also trying to not stay at any club longer than 3 seasons.

sebsheep

"How do you feel about *insert player name* refusing to celebrate after scoring against his former club?"

The player in the match:

NoLogo

Same here.. Curious how others are using the data hub!
I personally haven't used it very much, but Rashidi said something on his stream which I thought made a lot of sense. He uses the data hub to figure out if the problem is his tactic or his players. The example he showed was the scoring foward scatter graph.

The thesis is that if your forward would be on low scoring but high quality shooting, you would have to look for a new forward, because yours lacks the quality to finish his high quality chances. Now in my Barca save I obviously don't have that problem, both my first choice and second choice striker are firmly in the "high scoring, high quality shooting" area of the scatter graph, likewise my inverted wingers all look like they are about where they should be, only Yusuf Demir seems to fall off a bit here, but his chances aren't usually of great quality, so I can somewhat excuse his bad finishing as well.

I reckon you could find similar things to check for other positions on the pitch. Goalies come to mind.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I personally haven't used it very much, but Rashidi said something on his stream which I thought made a lot of sense. He uses the data hub to figure out if the problem is his tactic or his players. The example he showed was the scoring foward scatter graph.

The thesis is that if your forward would be on low scoring but high quality shooting, you would have to look for a new forward, because yours lacks the quality to finish his high quality chances. Now in my Barca save I obviously don't have that problem, both my first choice and second choice striker are firmly in the "high scoring, high quality shooting" area of the scatter graph, likewise my inverted wingers all look like they are about where they should be, only Yusuf Demir seems to fall off a bit here, but his chances aren't usually of great quality, so I can somewhat excuse his bad finishing as well.

I reckon you could find similar things to check for other positions on the pitch. Goalies come to mind.
I use it for a better idea of how my players are performing in relation to the league, and it’s also a useful tool for scouting players in the league.

NoLogo

I use it for a better idea of how my players are performing in relation to the league, and it’s also a useful tool for scouting players in the league.
The scouting part is actually something I thought about as well. Especially if I see someone performing really well who doesn't seem to be all that. Robin Koch is one of those players I once realized was among the top defenders in the league despite his attributes not looking all that great, and I thought he might be worth a gamble, but never really went for it in my Manchester United save.

K Stand Knut

have I understood the picture and your explanation correctly?

In an ideal world, on the graph, you want your goal-scorers to be at the top right side of the graph where they’re scoring loads and getting high quality chances BUT if they are at the top left corner, or that direction, the chances are that the tactics are the problem because they’re are scoring plenty but not getting the good enough chances??

NoLogo

have I understood the picture and your explanation correctly?

In an ideal world, on the graph, you want your goal-scorers to be at the top right side of the graph where they’re scoring loads and getting high quality chances BUT if they are at the top left corner, or that direction, the chances are that the tactics are the problem because they’re are scoring plenty but not getting the good enough chances??
Yes, that's pretty much the gist of it. It indicates that your attacking players don't get into very good scoring positions but are still converting their low quality chances quite well, which means you probably have a real gem of a striker, but he could probably do even better if you managed to improve his scoring opportunities by getting him into higher xG scoring positions.

On the other hand should you find your striker in the lower right side you might have a quality issue. Your striker gets in loads of quality goal scoring opportunities but has a hard time converting these chances.

Another thing you of course have to keep in mind is if these players are even supposed to be your main scorers. I for example use my inverted wingers more as creators, they are supposed to stay fairly wide and rather create than score, so naturally I'm not going to get them into very good scoring positions, the two CMs and my striker are my main outlet for goals, the two Mezzalas get a lot of quite high quality shots, only surpassed by striker.

K Stand Knut

Yes, that's pretty much the gist of it. It indicates that your attacking players don't get into very good scoring positions but are still converting their low quality chances quite well, which means you probably have a real gem of a striker, but he could probably do even better if you managed to improve his scoring opportunities by getting him into higher xG scoring positions.

On the other hand should you find your striker in the lower right side you might have a quality issue. Your striker gets in loads of quality goal scoring opportunities but has a hard time converting these chances.

Another thing you of course have to keep in mind is if these players are even supposed to be your main scorers. I for example use my inverted wingers more as creators, they are supposed to stay fairly wide and rather create than score, so naturally I'm not going to get them into very good scoring positions, the two CMs and my striker are my main outlet for goals, the two Mezzalas get a lot of quite high quality shots, only surpassed by striker.
Thanks mate.

Time will tell how useful it will be with my current save. I suspect it’ll be massively more about the tactics

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Anyone played the Switch version of this yet? Any good? I’m tempted to get it for on the move.

Dan_F

I was getting frustrated a few pages back about not being able to offer higher wages, despite having a huge wage budget. This really went to a new extreme when my board decided to up this to £1 million a week, but only allowing a max of £11k a week for star players (I’m only spending £140k a week on wages currently).

After playing around with the in game editor it seems like there’s a few stipulations that can boost this, but unfortunately it’s not a sliding scale so the next bracket would take the max wage to £30k a week for a star player. This would be far more logical for a club that just got to a Europa semi.

Some of the options to get this increase were to increase the country standard to developed rather than developing or increase the club rep from 6200 to 7000. I’m going to continue increasing certain parts of the editor to see what the easiest way of doing this naturally might be. Maybe something like improving the stadium would be enough for example.

Either way, I thought I would post as I know there was someone else managing in a small league too.

Maluco

I have to say, nothing more satisfying than needing to get a few players off the books and them forcing a conversation, where you can feign anger and get them to hand in a transfer request and an immediate bid :devil:

If I had transfer listed them, you can guarantee there would be no bids

I had 3 conversations in the space of two weeks with three players that were not playing. Guendouzi (because of Rabiot loan), Benrahma (because of Rodri deciding to stay) and Calafori (because he is shit). The first two being frees in the summer.

Result was instant bids and transfers to Spartak (£12.25 million), Rangers (£14.75 million) and Watford (£6.75 million) respectively.

A much needed boost to the bank balance and the wage budget to a chance to hopefully sign in a few pre-contract players in January.

NoLogo

Off to a fairly good start to my Bremen career. 3 wins out of my first 3 games with a 10-0 goal difference. Only thing that worries me though is the amount of injuries we are picking up. 3 games and 3 starters injured for 2+ weeks, one even for 2-3 months isn't good. Bremen's squad depth is awful and if I continue picking up injuries like this I'm not going to get far this season.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Won the league with Newcastle. Didn't expect to as City had two games in had to go above me, but they lost both. I then needed just a point after beating Spurs away, and had City away followed by Brighton away as my last two games so I decided to play a weaker team against City, knowing I could go all out against Brighton. Managed to beat City 3 - 1 so I didn't need it.

Lost in the CL Semi to Bayern though, and also in the FA Cup to City. Good season though and Newcastle's first league since 1927!

Maluco

Won the league with Newcastle. Didn't expect to as City had two games in had to go above me, but they lost both. I then needed just a point after beating Spurs away, and had City away followed by Brighton away as my last two games so I decided to play a weaker team against City, knowing I could go all out against Brighton. Managed to beat City 3 - 1 so I didn't need it.

Lost in the CL Semi to Bayern though, and also in the FA Cup to City. Good season though and Newcastle's first league since 1927!
That’s a great season, especially when there are so many established teams in the Prem.

Leaves you sitting nicely for next season to try and defend title and win a cup!

If it were me, I would have definitely lost the City game and then drew 2-2 at Brighton with them just missing with their last attack of the game. I don’t know why I struggle to close things out.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't get Man City in this game. They play a 4-4-2 every game with Vincent Kompany as manager, Haaland and Lucca up top (both voted as #1 and #2 players in the world and score ~55 and ~35 goals a season each), Foden and KDB in CM, then Palmer and Vinicius Jr on the wings. Literally an all out 4-4-2 with 2 pure target men, 2 #10's, an inside forward and then a winger. Tarik Lamptey at fullback too. I don't know how they make it work and why it's impossible to get a user based pure attack formation to work like that.

sebsheep

Guy is on fire but I can't get him to sign a new contract because he has clubs interested in him, can't wait for him to disappear from my team on deadline day in a 15 minute window after a team pay his buyout clause like I had a player do last season. :lol:

Also had my first player sent off for swinging an elbow.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
This Is the last version I'm getting I think.

I don't understand how this game is still so broken. Press conferences repetitive as feck, tactics make zero difference. You say to players that you reckon we can fight as hard as we can to stay up. They tell me I'm bring unrealistic.

Shambles of a release

Lay

Doing well with my L. Moscow save, losing Belotti sucked but his replacement Chalov who is Russian so frees up a non EU place (signed Bakayoko) is good. But we’ve failed to score in 5 league games and I know Belotti would have scored in those.

Despite that, we are second at the winter break, 2 points behind Spartak. Also finished top of the Europa Conference group despite 4 of my new signings not registered due to the Russian window shutting after the registration.

The board want me to finish 2nd and reach the second round of the Europa Conference, both are currently being achieved.

Side note, Belotti has 1 goal in 8 games at Leicester, should have stayed!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

I don't understand how this game is still so broken. Press conferences repetitive as feck, tactics make zero difference. You say to players that you reckon we can fight as hard as we can to stay up. They tell me I'm bring unrealistic.

Shambles of a release
I have always found this one weird, even if you’re predicted to finish bottom. Players wouldn’t just begin the season resigning themselves to relegation.

NoLogo

Shambles of a release
It's something you have to live with if you want to play this game. SI is stubborn, and their entire interaction system is just hot garbage, I recently got a warning on their forum because I told them as much. :lol:

Best thing I ever had in FM21 I told my Manchester United team that won the league 3 times in a row that I wanted to defend the title and half the team was like "whoa, hey there, let's not be too ambitious." Just to then be met in the CL expectations with that I'm not ambitious enough when I said "We weren't good enough last year, let's aim to reach the final of the CL next season." :wenger: Reactions seem to be just made up randomly.

Apart from the interactions still doing my head in, I feel like FM 22 is actually one of the better games in recent release history.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
It's something you have to live with if you want to play this game. SI is stubborn, and their entire interaction system is just hot garbage, I recently got a warning on their forum because I told them as much. :lol:

Best thing I ever had in FM21 I told my Manchester United team that won the league 3 times in a row that I wanted to defend the title and half the team was like "whoa, hey there, let's not be too ambitious." Just to then be met in the CL expectations with that I'm not ambitious enough when I said "We weren't good enough last year, let's aim to reach the final of the CL next season." :wenger: Reactions seem to be just made up randomly.

Apart from the interactions still doing my head in, I feel like FM 22 is actually one of the better games in recent release history.
I've literally been playing this game since championship manager '93. The problem with the FM series is that the AI is has been dreadful since 2005 and has barely improved. But I can handle that. I'm just so frustrated this version. i'll give you an example.

I start at Weymouth as it's one of the biggest challenges in the game. We have the lowest budget in the league in real life by £6k A WEEK! we are a part time side and the division in reality is by far the strongest it has ever been. I knew all of this going in. So, i trim the squad, play under the wage budget (yet somehow still leak money for fun) and sort a tactic that fits the players. We go through pre-season, battering sides. beating league one Lincoln City 3-0 for example and when the season starts, we play well. then at arpound the 21-24 game mark, it starts. We stop scoring goals. We go on a 10-14 game run without a win. and this is where it gets stupid. We didn't score for 6 games. those games finished as follows:

0-1
0-0
0-0
0-0
0-0
0-1

so that's not awful right? until you look at it like this:

0-1 - THREE disallowed goals, woodwork hit SEVEN times, opposition with 2 shots on goal, 1 on target.
0-0 - TWO disallowed goals.
0-0 - Woodwork hit twice. just the one disallowed goal.
0-0 - To be fair we held on.
0-0 - TWO disallowed goals.
0-1 - TWO disallowed goals. woodwork hit. 1 shot on goal from the other side.

Then, this happens....

we lose 9-1, we were 9-0 down inside 35 minutes, they had 9 shots on target.

Before this shite started, we were 3rd.

The game, is fecking broken.