Gaming Football Manager 2023

roseguy64

Maybe the newer generation play in 3D, but all the old school crew who have been around since the classic CM 01/02 days, will surely be 2D only. Moving from commentary to 2D, was already a big step, but 3D is taking the absolute piss.
No, I use 3D. And I was playing with the commentary only then.

No thanks. The 3D is good enough for what I need it to be.

roseguy64

Hoping they do something with international football one day. This year would have been great with the World Cup.

MattofManchester

Subjective
Fair, but to me, whenever watching the ME, it always feels better in beta. I pre-ordered 19, 20 and 21 and skipped 22, but every single time, I've really enjoyed the beta, and then the full release comes and the ME has a host of issues that SI just shrugs their shoulders for.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Why would anyone still play 2d I don’t get it
Because I don't play FM to watch some shitty football match. I either go 2D or, more often than not, just text. The 3D match engine can get in the bin as far as I'm concerned.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Because it looks worse than a PS1 game and takes me out of the immersion. At least with 2D there’s no graphical expectation and I can imagine the game playing out better.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Man championship manger was soooo good. I was gutted when it was scrapped. Some of the early versions are the best
On one of the versions it was possible to get C.Ronaldo and Messi on loan at the same time.

i think on that same version you could cheat the game by bidding on a player, enter contract negotiations, exit them, rebid for 0, enter the same contract again and finalise it and your previous bid would be replaced with the 0 bid and you have a free player.

Carl

Man championship manger was soooo good. I was gutted when it was scrapped. Some of the early versions are the best
I'm with you all the way. There's some pretty active communities that still play them and update the database every year.

It's the reason I only play FM Touch. Cuts out loads of the absolute nonsense that goes on in the full fat version.

Carl

On one of the versions it was possible to get C.Ronaldo and Messi on loan at the same time.

i think on that same version you could cheat the game by bidding on a player, enter contract negotiations, exit them, rebid for 0, enter the same contract again and finalise it and your previous bid would be replaced with the 0 bid and you have a free player.
Wasn't that the one where pillaging the Swedish U21 team at the start of the save was an absolute must and Taribo West was available on a free?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Used to love it the time around ince, Pallister etc just having joined united

Lemoor

2D being more abstract leaves more to the imagination and I find it easier to pretend that there is nice football being played. With 3D I can't really get over how goofy and clumsy everything looks.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No one is buying FM for 3D views or graphics. You can go back to 1990s graphics and people will still buy FM. However, they really need to work on the AI engine here, especially in transfers and things like that, as the game becomes easy pretty quickly especially if you decide to stick with one club

Abraxas

They need to work on a lot of stuff.

The match engine needs refinement each year and sometimes doesn't get what it needs to be balanced.

The AI around transfers has ridiculous quirks.

The 3D should be improved. Just because people don't mind 2D isn't a reason not to progress this game forward into modern gaming. An impressive visual experience would take matchdays forward in a big way.

Sadly it never quite gets what it should, it really only gets a lick of paint.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Almost time for my annual I’m not going to get this version before feeling serious FOMO and buying it a week after release.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Almost time for my annual I’m not going to get this version before feeling serious FOMO and buying it a week after release.
Me too but I barley played FM22 in the end. I’ve stuck with FM21 and I’ve created so many of my own databases that it’s hard to let go

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'm definitely buying it. Instantly selling some of the United players is therapeutic.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
With the rise of "AI" - machine learning and such, can't they make an AI, feed it billions of hours of football footage and make it create believable simulated match engine - like players positioning, animations, goals etc? Since you're not actually controlling anything, it should be easier to invent stuff and just make it look like the real thing and not this ridiculous and buggy shite we get every year.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I said I was done with this game for a couple years but of course I'm now desperate to start a new game.

Feels pointless doing it on FM22 with the new one so close (I'd have to update all the transfers and try and start it a year later, etc..) but also Nov 8th feels like forever away. Anyone know when the Beta is likely to drop?

Dave_MUFC

I said I was done with this game for a couple years but of course I'm now desperate to start a new game.

Feels pointless doing it on FM22 with the new one so close (I'd have to update all the transfers and try and start it a year later, etc..) but also Nov 8th feels like forever away. Anyone know when the Beta is likely to drop?
It's approximately 2 weeks prior to the full release, so usually would be towards the end of the week of the 17th, or sometime the week of the 24th.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

The day Miles goes is the day this game can start actually improving.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's an absolute prick whenever anyone criticizes any aspect of the game as well.
Yep, he doesn't care about what the fans think. Ego-maniac. It's shite that it's almost impossible for someone to compete with FM because as you say the pieces of the game which actually need improvement will never see it with this clown in charge.

MUW4Eva

Still waiting for which edition the full licenced women's database will be in, that will be the next version thst I will be getting, for now, it is back to dominating with Columbus Crew and having a 40 year old Roy Keane at the heart of my midfield in CM 01/02!

dove

Creating a good looking game (graphically) has never been easier than it is now. There are so many tools to do that... Surely a massive upgrade must be on the cards for the next year or so, or they will keep releasing the console versions with graphics from 1990?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Creating a good looking game (graphically) has never been easier than it is now. There are so many tools to do that... Surely a massive upgrade must be on the cards for the next year or so, or they will keep releasing the console versions with graphics from 1990?
I think the problem for me is 1. It looks shit. 2. I never have played FM for graphics. 3. I don't care about making my manager look exactly like me as I barely ever take notice of it in game, if at all.

It just isn't the fundamental change Miles thinks it is.

dove

I think the problem for me is 1. It looks shit. 2. I never have played FM for graphics. 3. I don't care about making my manager look exactly like me as I barely ever take notice of it in game, if at all.

It just isn't the fundamental change Miles thinks it is.
I think this feature already existed though and he is just showing "how good" it looks now?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think this feature already existed though and he is just showing "how good" it looks now?
But that's the point...he's bragging about something that looks shit while ignoring fundamental problems of the game.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah it's baffling that he thinks:

1. This is an improvement.
2. This was worth highlighting.