Gaming Football Manager 2024

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We got planning permission for a 12,762 seater stadium and it's named after my Dad who was the in real life chairman for a few years :lol:

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
We got planning permission for a 12,762 seater stadium and it's named after my Dad who was the in real life chairman for a few years :lol:
This is excellent. Is he delighted?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
4th played 6th so I snuck into the playoff. Lost the semi final to Wimbledon though so that means it's the first season I haven't gone straight up. Another year in League One for us.
I wonder if it’s a goalkeeper thing? It sounds too simple, but I remember a save I had where my GK was a freebie that looked decent, but he was just so bad in matches that I couldn’t stop conceding.

Maybe a trusty old head in goal would do the trick?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I wonder if it’s a goalkeeper thing? It sounds too simple, but I remember a save I had where my GK was a freebie that looked decent, but he was just so bad in matches that I couldn’t stop conceding.

Maybe a trusty old head in goal would do the trick?
I used my affiliate to get a keeper on loan from Chelses and he's decent, so I dunno. My CBs are also solid and my analytics say we're excellent at defending, yet we conceded 65 goals this season.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This would blow up on Reddit :lol: that's actually brilliant to see

Chipper

Adulterer.
Wow, that's brilliant! Sometimes the game throws up something that makes you smile but that's the best one yet. :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
How do goalies run back so fast after they come up for a corner? They're faster than if they had 20 pace.

Zebs

My Dulwich Hamlet career so far:

23/24: Promoted as champions from National League South with four games to spare & won the FA Trophy.

24/25: Promoted as champions from National League with 45 wins and 1 draw from 46. Won the FA Trophy again and somehow made it to the FA Cup Semis.

25/26: 27 games in and I've won 26 and drawn one. Still in all the cup competitions, including being 4-0 up against Sheffield United going into the second leg of the Carabao Cup Semi Final, in which I've had a very favourable League One/Two run. Looks like United in the final if we hold on. Currently renting Leyton Orient's ground while ours gets upgraded to something remotely suitable to this level.

I play a high-lined attacking tiki-taka style with "Tackle Harder" throughout the team. I get loads of yellows but I win almost all the time. I'm sure the game will adapt eventually but hopefully I'll be in the Prem by then. Have hit the jackpot with two signings (Sam Curtis & Isaac Mabaya) who were both signed for pittance and sold for at least £5/6 million profit. Have put a lot of that money into the youth/training facilities. We've just got Spurs as a senior affiliate so hopefully I can pick up a few more loanees for cheap from them. I will admit that I've also used the editor to increase my reputation to similar to those around me in League Two. You can't compete otherwise. The only player in my starting XI that wasn't on a free or a loanee is the keeper.

Current XI:

-------------------------------------------------------------------Archie Mair (SK)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regen (WB)---------------Jamaal Lascelles (BPD)--------Taylor Harwood-Bellis (loan) (BPD)--------------Ian Maatsen (WB)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Regen (DM)--------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------
Gavin Kilkenny (BWM)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loanee Regen (IF)-------------------------------Yaser Asprilla (loan) (AM)-----------------------------Jeremy Sarmiento (loan) (IF)

--------------------------------------------------------------------Joe Hugill (AF)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

23/24: Promoted as champions from National League South with four games to spare & won the FA Trophy.

24/25: Promoted as champions from National League with 45 wins and 1 draw from 46. Won the FA Trophy again and somehow made it to the FA Cup Semis.

25/26: 27 games in and I've won 26 and drawn one. Still in all the cup competitions, including being 4-0 up against Sheffield United going into the second leg of the Carabao Cup Semi Final, in which I've had a very favourable League One/Two run. Looks like United in the final if we hold on. Currently renting Leyton Orient's ground while ours gets upgraded to something remotely suitable to this level.

I play a high-lined attacking tiki-taka style with "Tackle Harder" throughout the team. I get loads of yellows but I win almost all the time. I'm sure the game will adapt eventually but hopefully I'll be in the Prem by then. Have hit the jackpot with two signings (Sam Curtis & Isaac Mabaya) who were both signed for pittance and sold for at least £5/6 million profit. Have put a lot of that money into the youth/training facilities. We've just got Spurs as a senior affiliate so hopefully I can pick up a few more loanees for cheap from them. I will admit that I've also used the editor to increase my reputation to similar to those around me in League Two. You can't compete otherwise. The only player in my starting XI that wasn't on a free or a loanee is the keeper.

Current XI:

-------------------------------------------------------------------Archie Mair (SK)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regen (WB)---------------Jamaal Lascelles (BPD)--------Taylor Harwood-Bellis (loan) (BPD)--------------Ian Maatsen (WB)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Regen (DM)--------------------------------------------------------------
Gavin Kilkenny (BWM)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loanee Regen (IF)-------------------------------Yaser Asprilla (loan) (AM)-----------------------------Jeremy Sarmiento (loan) (IF)

--------------------------------------------------------------------Joe Hugill (AF)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you have to edit to get Dulwich in the NLS? Are you from around there? Love going to see Hamlet. It's a fun day out.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It would be nice if the game gave you a summary of the interest in all of your players. Otherwise I have to either offer them (which upsets them) or check with every single agent/intermediary.

Maluco

Current XI:

I think reputation is one of the only ways to stop this crazy ascent.

That team competes in the Championship in terms of its quality, and possibly even stats in the PL!

It looks like a very fun team to manage though.

Zebs

Did you have to edit to get Dulwich in the NLS? Are you from around there? Love going to see Hamlet. It's a fun day out.
Oh yeah sorry I mentioned that earlier in the thread. Edited them in to VNS.

I lived in London for about three years and was based in Camberwell and Dulwich so would go see them quite regularly. Was there when they got promoted to the VNS for the first time in their 125-year history in a season where they'd been locked out of their own stadium due to issues between developers and the council. Still one of the best football experiences of my life that. The roundabout that the team drank and partied on all night is still called promotion roundabout on Google Maps. Great club!

Last edited:

Zebs

I think reputation is one of the only ways to stop this crazy ascent.

That team competes in the Championship in terms of its quality, and possibly even stats in the PL!

It looks like a very fun team to manage though.
I still have the reputation lower than a good few teams in League Two though (it's in and around 4000 I think. Not at home so I can't check). I'm definitely overspending on wages which'll probably bite me in the ass soon enough.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Oh yeah sorry I mentioned that earlier in the thread. Edited them in to VNS.

I lived in London for about three years and was based in Camberwell and Dulwich so would go see them quite regularly. Was there when they got promoted to the VNS for the first time in their 125-year history in a season where they'd been locked out of their own stadium due to issues between developers and the council. Still one of the best football experiences of my life that. I think the roundabout that the team drank and partied on all night is still called promotion roundabout on Google Maps. Great club!
Yeah, they're fun for sure. I did my own save around them a couple of years ago but I've been going to see St Alban's more regularly and doing a save with them due to a mate supporting them/I find it funny that they're sponsored by Enter Shikari.

Chipper

Adulterer.

Current XI:

Looks very similar to the first tactic I used in a save with Motherwell. Did you come up with that yourself? I didn't :nervous: Just plugged and played the so-called best one I could find online. Very well done if you did! I'm hopeless at tactics. :lol:

Only difference I see is wing backs instead of the full backs I was using on attack. I imagine it would play out quite similar.

Out of interest does your AM score loads? Mine did, could sometimes be top scorer for the team, he was on attack.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Hate it when star players moan about their playing time.

Sometimes it's justified, but we've been playing 2 games a week solid for a while now and I've been prioritising games. I like to only use players with the full green heart thing and will rest them otherwise. Even if it's full and says anything but excellent or peak I won't start them if I have another viable option.

Players actually want me to run them into the ground.

There needs to be an option that reflects this when you have a chat with them, telling them you're looking after their physical wellbeing or that they look tired when the game literally says they're tired. Not my fault you can't handle playing Saturday-Tuesday or Wednesday-Saturday.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hate it when star players moan about their playing time.

Sometimes it's justified, but we've been playing 2 games a week solid for a while now and I've been prioritising games. I like to only use players with the full green heart thing and will rest them otherwise. Even if it's full and says anything but excellent or peak I won't start them if I have another viable option.

Players actually want me to run them into the ground.

There needs to be an option that reflects this when you have a chat with them, telling them you're looking after their physical wellbeing or that they looked tired when the game literally says they're tired when they can't handle playing Saturday-Tuesday or Wednesday-Saturday.
Yep it's another dumb thing about the game. The League One schedule is brutal at times, but one of my star players misses 1 or 2 games and they're up in arms. Every time I see this I use the editor to remove the unhappiness. If it's legit and I know it's someone I've not been playing I'll actually have the convo with the player.

Zebs

Looks very similar to the first tactic I used in a save with Motherwell. Did you come up with that yourself? I didn't :nervous: Just plugged and played the so-called best one I could find online. Very well done if you did! I'm hopeless at tactics. :lol:

Only difference I see is wing backs instead of the full backs I was using on attack. I imagine it would play out quite similar.

Out of interest does your AM score loads? Mine did, could sometimes be top scorer for the team, he was on attack.
A friend recommended the tackle harder thing, whether he got it from somewhere else, I never asked. But generally, the formation is what I've used before in previous versions of the game. I haven't noticed my AM scoring to the point it stands out but my full backs get ridiculous amounts of assists!

Zebs

I'd love to see AI introduced for press conferences so you can answer questions naturally. They're such a chore to get through. There's only so many more times I can tell the press that my players are confident but not over confident and that one defeat won't see morale plummet.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've had to abandon my free agent tactic that's gotten me this far and spend a bit of money finally. I checked my squad report and we were clearly massively overachieving with the quality of player we had.

Had to get rid of those that have been with me since the seventh tier. No room for sentimentality. Made so many sales from players I originally signed for free. Back up keeper went for £425k pure profit :drool: In fact my two biggest sales of all time have been back-up keepers which is odd.

Spent £450k but made £1.5m back.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How have I managed to get a team relegated. Sums up my life really
:lol: It's probably refreshing to be bad at this. Seems you can only fail upwards at times. I was annoyed when I didn't get another automatic promotion but after reflection it's nice to have some adversity.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've just passed City in rep and since in my game they have a transfer ban til 2040 they're languishing in the Championship and looking to sell players. I've destroyed the club record fee to sign their home grown striker Iago Guimaraes for £1.6m rising to £6.5m. Not even sure how I'm going to afford it but he was interested in signing for me and looks class at just 19. They inserted a loan back which I somehow missed so he's back at City for the season but the plan is to get promoted and then he joins at the same time.

CallyRed

:lol: It's probably refreshing to be bad at this. Seems you can only fail upwards at times. I was annoyed when I didn't get another automatic promotion but after reflection it's nice to have some adversity.
I threw away a 2 goal lead on the last day of the season as well. Needed a point to stay up.
This thread is just full of success. So I am happy to contribute some failure.

Maluco

I threw away a 2 goal lead on the last day of the season as well. Needed a point to stay up.
This thread is just full of success. So I am happy to contribute some failure.
What is the situation after going down? Did you keep your job?

CallyRed

What is the situation after going down? Did you keep your job?
Asked like a man who is used to success.
I basically blamed injuries. The board took it into consideration and took pity on me it seems. I have to get automatic promotion next season

Maluco

Asked like a man who is used to success.
I basically blamed injuries. The board took it into consideration and took pity on me it seems. I have to get automatic promotion next season
To be fair, I often give up if I don’t get that endorphin shot of success early on :lol:

I am a bit envious though, it’s this type of thing that makes the story and gets you more into the save.

Chipper

Adulterer.

Hopefully getting a decent payday there. First time we've even made the 1st round, let alone the 3rd.

Put out Cray Valley, Wealdstone, Havant & Waterlooville (after a replay), Maidenhead, Sutton Utd (on penalties after a replay) and Rochdale so far.

Been good for the bank balance. Was -£11k over the summer. Up to £236k now.

Still in the FA Trophy too. Scunthorpe next which will be tough. Seen off Romulus, Uxbridge and Chester in that.

Chipper

Adulterer.
That payday wasn't that great at Coventry, only 11,600 in attendance.

We're also bottling the league out of nowhere. Still 5 points clear with 11 to play but the form has turned shocking. 9 points in 8 games. Had a chat with my goalie saying he's been shit, and he says he'll work harder but I might drop him anyway.

Edit: Got there comfortably in the end. Won it with 3 games to and rotated the squad, losing 2.

Last edited:

CallyRed

To be fair, I often give up if I don’t get that endorphin shot of success early on :lol:

I am a bit envious though, it’s this type of thing that makes the story and gets you more into the save.
Oddly as soon as we got relegated, new owners came in and threatened to replace me! Thankfully they have given me the opportunity to get promoted

Starting off in league 2 quite well, got some decent loans. Tried to bring in Kobbie, bastard turned me down :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Our stadium must be terrible.

It doesn't meet Vanarama National North/South requirements, so we're going to rent this palacial place from Cirencester next season which does.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I don't get it. In the 9th, 8th and 7th tier I've been able to offer players part-time contracts which I've made use of.

Having sealed promotion to the 6th we can only offer non-contract, pay-as-you-play type deals where players can be poached at any time. Finances are better than ever.

Unless this new stadium rental is going to cost a fortune?

Edit: A few days later I can suddenly offer part-time contracts again. Shame I already offered someone I wanted to keep a non-contract deal and pulled out of talks with someone else when I couldn't select part-time. Will see if I can re-negotiate now.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Our stadium must be terrible.

It doesn't meet Vanarama National North/South requirements, so we're going to rent this palacial place from Cirencester next season which does.

Yeah we still rent this cauldron.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Appears Mansfield are my bogey team. They're 13th in the league and never in contention for the play-offs but for some reason this random ass team always slaps me. Apart from our first ever meeting.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Signed a new goalie, full back and inside forward in late November on free transfers. Since then the results have been awful. I don't know if it wrecked squad cohesion, but there was other things going on too.

Initially had 3 players moaning about playing time from early October onwards but when I made sure I played them in every game for a while results stayed good until they eventually dropped their concerns.

A 4th then started moaning right around the time I made these new signings. He was first choice right back up until that time, he just couldn't handle 2 games in quick succcession so would play every other game as a star player if having a midweek game. I told him to bog off as I was bored of all this. That polarised the squad with half being for him, half against him.

Started playing him anyway in a new position, as he would in theory be my best ball playing central defender although he's on the short side at 5'9 and jumping reach 10. Still should be ok for this level. Half the squad now hate me for backing down to him.

Decided to bin him off to see if it might drop everyone's concerns. As he's Irish I got Irish teams wanting to take him for free and one offered to loan him back to me. Decided to take that offer as I hoped him no longer officially being our player might somehow reset everyone's anger at me and he's a useful talent I wouldn't mind keeping around. It hasn't, half the squad is still annoyed. I don't know where to play him now, if at all, and how often.

Gone from W18 D3 L0 to W19 D7 L2 and are no longer top.

The new goalie is getting garbage ratings and I've had a chat with him.

Dropped him for a league game once already but my old 'keeper got a 6.4, letting in 2 in the last five minutes as we blew a 2-0 lead.

I don't know if I need to go back to my old 'keeper permamantly or what to do with this right back/central defender.

The inside forward we signed has been smashing it. At least that's something.

Edit: The very next game, 4 more goals for the IF, are we back? :lol: :confused:

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not sure if it's the realism fix I use since I've not played the game without it but my injuries are way more acceptable with it. I'll get one in the week ocassionally but it's often something like a tight calf so they miss the next match but they're otherwise fine.

Without it the game always seems to injure your players for multiple weeks at a time and forgets small knocks can happen.