Frank Lampard's Sack Watch / Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He won't make it to the end of the season, all that attacking talent...

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
When he goes I will miss him telling our bench to get over winning just "one" PL. Like the other 18 league titles magically don't exist - much like his managerial abilities. :lol:

Lamps is a Chelsea legend as a player. He is an every other team legend as manager. Please don't sack him. :angel:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
His problem is persisting with out of form players, shouldn't be afraid of dropping them, they were completely transformed when Pulisic moved into his favoured position and Hudson-Odoi came on.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I predict he'll stay on for the current campaign unless, ofcourse , if results get really bad.

I think Chelsea will be up and down for the majority of the campaign but they will have the added benefit that pretty every other team bar Liverpool will go through a similar set of varying results.
I'd say it depends. If Chelsea sniff even a hint of danger of losing out on top 4, he might not survive. For now though, being within 4-5 points of end place is not disaster, provided he steadies the situation.

firstkuyttouch

Is there a recruitment issue then? As I think people here seem to think they have the best recruitment going but when you look at it is it?
I don’t want to be a homer, but I think it’s clear LFC have the best recruitment going, at least in the years since Klopp has been there. Even the niche signings like Ragnar Klavan have come off, they’ve sold well, and when they spend big it tends to work out.

I think United’s recruitment is a case of throwing big money at big names and throwing big money at English names. City’s approach seems similar in that they continue to neglect certain positions (United most glaring example is RW and wherever Martial/Pogba are lined up on paper in preseason) like CF while spending 150million on defenders and fullbacks every annum.

Chelsea are threatening in that every piece seems to be there in the squad, but that is due in largeeeeeee part to their academy and loan system. Their high profile big money signings read like a who’s who of players that were made for the continent and just want to get the feck out of the premier league. Going narrow for my example but look at Jorginho; not cheap at the time!, and now he’s still there a couple years later despite being clearly on the fringe (and apparently he’s a vice captain? Lampards choices of Captain have been funky and funny) and despite being too good for just being a starter in the champions league he’s got a bit of the Xhaka about him,where if you play him enough or in the wrong matches the fatal flaws in his game in this league start to shine.

TL;DR I think Chelsea’s squad strength (crazy strong) gets confused for good recruitment. Kepa Kai Timo Rudiger all examples just from last couple years where big name was brought in for big price with no thought seemingly put into where they fit, or if they’ll be any good in England.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
A lot of similarities between him and Ole for sure. Willing to put up with a lot of shit other managers wouldn't because they've landed their dream jobs, and tasked with completely reinventing a team's playing style and player acquisition strategy from the ground up. If they fail, they'll be easily replaced by someone better, and they'll have established a lot of good foundations. If they succeed against the odds, they'll provide a lot of long-term gain for short-term pain. They needed someone to manage that transition and these two were willing to be the sacrificial lambs because they were inspired by the long shot chances of pulling it off.

It doesn't really matter if Havertz, Pulisic and Ziyech don't all click right now. If they develop into the players they're expected to become, they'll provide years of value to the team that completely overwrite any teething pains. Someone like Rice would have been more useful now but you can never have too many top class attackers. To be well stacked in that area with some of the best young players available is a very promising position for any new manager to come into.

Not sure Lampard has the right mentality to succeed long-term as a manager at a high level. He seems to care far too much about what other people think. He's been protected a lot as a rare Englishman in that position but if things go south he will get torn apart and I can see him properly cracking up.

Last edited:

Pep's Suit

With that squad he should be challenging for the title, this is not good enough.

Tapori

Lampard is baffling
If your main CM as Werner isn't playing well just sub him on later

He should play Gilmore more and get Ruben back from Fulham. His midfield is atrociously poor
Poor Pulisic is working his socks off

Tapori

I really want him to succeed and will defend him stoutly, but at the same time, i can seperate myself from Frank the player; and as a manager solely -... its whether he can take us to the next level. Right now, i want him to, but suspect he cant. Sadly.

And when managers who have decent track records are floating around, Roman will be casting eyes if results continue. If the worst happened and Frank was let go, my money would be on Nagelsmann

One think I want Lampard to do is play Werner through the middle, if Mount has a poor game drop him, if James plays poor put Azpi in. He does seem to have his favourites
How do you solve your midfield? Lack of creativity and control imo

Matst1

When he goes I will miss him telling our bench to get over winning just "one" PL. Like the other 18 league titles magically don't exist - much like his managerial abilities. :lol:

Lamps is a Chelsea legend as a player. He is an every other team legend as manager. Please don't sack him. :angel:
He’s not wrong though is he, technically. you’ve won one premier league cup, 18 first division cups (when the league was a lot easier). Basically saying you’ve not done a lot domestically for 30 odd years until recently.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He won't make it to the end of the season, all that attacking talent...
This is the thing about making such huge investments (£250M)-- the expectations will then always outstrip reality of player integration. Someone should have told Fat Frank that he needs to be careful what he wish for.

Meadowlark

Supports
Chelsea

You should be happy that he ignored the asterisk that came with your "one" PL title.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
A lot of similarities between him and Ole for sure. Willing to put up with a lot of shit other managers wouldn't because they've landed their dream jobs, and tasked with completely reinventing a team's playing style and player acquisition strategy from the ground up. If they fail, they'll be easily replaced by someone better, and they'll have established a lot of good foundations. If they succeed against the odds, they'll provide a lot of long-term gain for short-term pain. They needed someone to manage that transition and these two were willing to be the sacrificial lambs because they were inspired by the long shot chances of pulling it off.

It doesn't really matter if Havertz, Pulisic and Ziyech don't all click right now. If they develop into the players they're expected to become, they'll provide years of value to the team that completely overwrite any teething pains. Someone like Rice would have been more useful now but you can never have too many top class attackers. To be well stacked in that area with some of the best young players available is a very promising position for any new manager to come into.

Not sure Lampard has the right mentality to succeed long-term as a manager at a high level. He seems to care far too much about what other people think. He's been protected a lot as a rare Englishman in that position but if things go south he will get torn apart and I can see him properly cracking up.
This is how I see both men – they’re playing the unenviable role of transitional managers.

I think both squads have quality to such an extent that if you put a top drawer manager in charge they could cause some major damage.

Just my read, but I think Ole is better tactically – it strikes me that he’s better at reactively setting a team up to disarm an opponent.

Lampard seems a little more one dimensional to me.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
The heat is getting closer, Frankie! I hope you have a masterplan because you are going to need it now.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's hard when you have bought players and they don't perform because you'll be pressured to play them and trust them even if it means you'll lose your job, because if you don't play them trusting other players and lose it looks like you've wasted millions for no reason and will definitely lose the job.

I hope Frank gets them playing well enough to take points of our other rivals but after that I don't care.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone think he'll get sacked in the next month? Anyone want to make a prediction?
No, i really think/want him to see out the season at a minimum. You know our board though, a bad defeat to villa and then city and it'll get twitchy. He needs to feck Jody Morris off aswell, he does sweet FA

I think he should have brought JT with him

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

I think his managerial start is similar to his playing career. Fans were skeptical of him earlier, and at one point even accused to being favoured over other better talent, yet fought his way to the top. If he shows same mental strength which he showed as a player, he will be a top manager.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Spending lot of money doesn't mean you will be better than having transfer ban. :)

Manager isn't just about coaching alone but also man management to manage the players and your skill to build the team. Finding and signing the right players are not easy.

simplyared

Very difficult situation for him. 250 mill spent puts massive pressure on him to perform and it's not working out. The job's too big for him and Tuchel happens to be a free agent. It can only go one way!

lysglimt

Scout
Very difficult situation for him. 250 mill spent puts massive pressure on him to perform and it's not working out. The job's too big for him and Tuchel happens to be a free agent. It can only go one way!
Jody Morris ? :)

Crashoutcassius

I don't think he is doing that badly. I think their transfer activity was naive in many ways, and has upset the team more than a bit. If he gets beyond this season and is ruthless with signings that aren't working out then he might be okay

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Didn't Tuchel have a really rocky relationship with his superiors at his two previous clubs, eventually being fired from both clubs? I'd rather stick with Frank, thanks.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I don't think he is doing that badly. I think their transfer activity was naive in many ways, and has upset the team more than a bit. If he gets beyond this season and is ruthless with signings that aren't working out then he might be okay
What?
Last season was pretty good.
But this season, you could have had Chris Hughton managing Chelsea and he would not have done worse point-wise.
The actual points total is quite bad.

My biggest problem with him is that, from my perspective, he is not adjusting sufficiently to our opponents. It seems to me that he is basing his team selection on names and perceived potential - but it is clear that he has a bias towards certain players.
(He may still be clinging to the idea of playing his own brand of football, but he should move on from that idea quickly.)

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
Didn't Tuchel have a really rocky relationship with his superiors at his two previous clubs, eventually being fired from both clubs? I'd rather stick with Frank, thanks.
I am not sure about Tuchel, really.
But, the BVB leadership was just atrocious, especially the way they dealt with the bomb attack on the squad.
I found Tuchel's stance quite sympathetic and sensible in that case. So, he was very much in the right, from my point of view. (and Dortmund is actually still paying the price for the bad management by their CEO - in my humble opinion).

We should not be disturbed by what happened at PSG, because eventually he did okay there - and Leonardo seems to have an inflated ego issue. I doubt they will perform instantly better without Tuchel.

So, there are other possible issues with Tuchel, but IMO there was not much wrong with him at PSG or Dortmund.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What?
Last season was pretty good.
But this season, you could have had Chris Hughton managing Chelsea and he would not have done worse point-wise.
The actual points total is quite bad.

My biggest problem with him is that, from my perspective, he is not adjusting sufficiently to our opponents. It seems to me that he is basing his team selection on names and perceived potential - but it is clear that he has a bias towards certain players.
(He may still be clinging to the idea of playing his own brand of football, but he should move on from that idea quickly.)

We're actually better off than we were last year in the equivalent fixtures. I don't think Lampard is lighting the world on fire or anything and he deserves closer scrutiny than he got last year, but I think we have improved overall. Whether that's sufficient to justify keeping him on given the level of investment is the key question. If he keeps doing idiotic things like his team selection against Villa then I could see us taking action.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
We're actually better off than we were last year in the equivalent fixtures. I don't think Lampard is lighting the world on fire or anything and he deserves closer scrutiny than he got last year, but I think we have improved overall. Whether that's sufficient to justify keeping him on given the level of investment is the key question. If he keeps doing idiotic things like his team selection against Villa then I could see us taking action.
The expectations are way different than last year. Last year, a top 8 finish would have been sufficient. This year - at least it's me - the expectations are higher than sneaking in the top 4. So, for me it's not relevant whether we are better off compared to last season.

lysglimt

Scout
Yes please! Love Jody.

Once Frank has won a few leagues and sods off to win the world cup with England of course.
Wasn't it Jody who had that ridiculous trombone blowing celebration when he scored ?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
You don't make an inexperienced appointment like Lampard only to sack him because of inconsistencies. Makes no sense. I think he's doing quite well in the grand scheme of things, its just a shame for him that their big money signings haven't really worked out yet.

Whos responsible for transfers at Chelsea? Have they got a DoF or is it the manager?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I picked a game in which he scored, totally at random, to check...

Raising your game against the European champions, only to still end up 5th. Typical game raising, small time cnuts ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.