6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Disappointing, given his CL experience I was hoping he'd boss a game against opppositoin like this.

SteveW

Did he play well or badly? I honestly have no idea. He confuses the life out of me.

Foxbatt

You can't really judge a player on his own. It also depends on his team mates. If his team mates are good and move into space then he would be better.
I don't think he is a holding midfield player. So even if we play Pogba, Scott and Fred we will still have problems.

jackal&hyde

He did well, don't know what game some of you were watching. Kept the ball moving well, could have had a goal in the beginning of the game, carried the ball forward well. It might be time to put him in a mid with Mctominay and use Pogba further forward.

meamth

Posts in this thread:

-He’s crap, don’t see the point in him

-Thought he did well tonight

-Pointless player

-Really good game, hope he kicks on

-Rubbish game, always loses the ball

-Did well with his passing, impressive

The state of this place
There's only 2 types of football standards here in caf.

Shyte/rubbish or World class. Nothing in between.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Fred was good tonight. Bossed it in the first 10-15 minutes and was unlucky not to score. Also took the best free kick of the night. Was kind of on his own once Matic started to fade. I reckon the only reason we haven't seen more of him so far is his extended holiday.

meamth

Disappointing, given his CL experience I was hoping he'd boss a game against opppositoin like this.
What the feck? In a game where we have like 72% ball possession, midfield is disappointing?

What game you were watching? I'm so fecking confused with caf.

Clearly he and Matic controlled Astana FC like playing against school kids last night, no struggle whatsoever.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Clearly my MOTM. Ball control a bit sloppy at times but he was everywhere and his team mates always seemed to be comfortable to give him the ball.

meamth

Clearly my MOTM. Ball control a bit sloppy at times but he was everywhere and his team mates always seemed to be comfortable to give him the ball.
Agreed, that was the only negative, he looked like a player in FIFA when you accidentally moved the skill button, and ball goes haywire. Apart from that, he is clearly the best midfielder tonight.

Tarrou

Posts in this thread:

-He’s crap, don’t see the point in him

-Thought he did well tonight

-Pointless player

-Really good game, hope he kicks on

-Rubbish game, always loses the ball

-Did well with his passing, impressive

The state of this place
some people just make an opinion on a player and then see what they want to see

pretty clear he had a decent game thought wasn't it?

zenith

I think he had a decent game. Though for him to be able to play better, he needs a well defined role in the team. I'm sure even he dosent know what exactly is his role when he plays. That is something which can only become clear when he plays more.

Hope to God that ole goes to a 4-3-3 and we can see the best of everyone in the team, while keeping lingard, Mata, young and matic out of the starting 11

Matst1

some people just make an opinion on a player and then see what they want to see

pretty clear he had a decent game thought wasn't it?
Yes it was, thought he was actually pretty great and with better midfielders around him (McTom and Pogba) he’ll look even better.

It’s a shame as do like this place, lots good insight from different people and I even like some of the Liverpool folk.

But man, there’s so much unnecessary moaning and bitching from a lot of people.
It is like what you say though, some people make their mind up in something and refuse to change their view.

Ace of Spades

He was good, maybe not the most creative, but he controlled the midfield well with Matic and has good energy. It certainly is a big plus in pressing from the front as a team.

Eric7C

Very happy that Ole is bringing him back into the team. Fred in the starting eleven has the potential to totally transform this side; it means Pogba can play in a position where he is most effective and play those one-twos with Martial, James and Rashford. It also means that Matic will have a bit-part role, which is what he deserves with the skill-set he has currently.

Devil may care

What the feck? In a game where we have like 72% ball possession, midfield is disappointing?

What game you were watching? I'm so fecking confused with caf.

Clearly he and Matic controlled Astana FC like playing against school kids last night, no struggle whatsoever.
I was watching the game where Astana had 9 men behind the ball and zero ambition and Fred and Matic both took forever on the ball and provided zero penetration or drive, just playing slow, safe passes, neither gave us any tempo or rhythm.

Name Changed

weso26
I'm one of those who don't think he played well. I think he improved as the game went on. To me he never seems fully in control of the ball and he seems liable to lose it anytime he is on the ball.
We did pay 50m for him so he will be played a lot more when he's fully fit. He needs it. Obviously we haven't seen the best of him. It's not like we have many options.
Big season for him.

Dve

I thought he had a good game, but I´m still not convinced he´s reliable enough to play as a DM in 4-2-3-1. When he´s put under pressure, there´s always this feeling he might screw it up by losing the ball in dangerous positions. In many ways, you could say he´s a Pogba in miniatyr. With lack of options, I would perhaps still start him against West Ham, but I think 4-3-3 would suit him better.

Maureen-yo

He was pretty average i thought, although better than matic. Gave the ball away a good bit, he just doesn't excel at anything
What? He had 128 passes find their target out of 136 (94%), 6 of those that went astray were in the final third.
I’m not saying he was incredible but wasn’t as sloppy on the ball like you make out.

Maureen-yo

I'm one of those who don't think he played well. I think he improved as the game went on. To me he never seems fully in control of the ball and he seems liable to lose it anytime he is on the ball.
We did pay 50m for him so he will be played a lot more when he's fully fit. He needs it. Obviously we haven't seen the best of him. It's not like we have many options.
Big season for him.
I’m confused, you can’t say he didn’t play well because you thought he looked like he might lose the ball at any second even though he didn’t?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kostov

52 fecking millions for this guy, absolute bonkers. He's a solid player but I just can't get around how much we overpaid for this guy.

meamth

I was watching the game where Astana had 9 men behind the ball and zero ambition and Fred and Matic both took forever on the ball and provided zero penetration or drive, just playing slow, safe passes, neither gave us any tempo or rhythm.
This takes the cake.

What do you expect? 50 yards through ball into a deep defensive line? Amazing mate. Amazing.

Unlocking the defense was Greenwood's, Gomes's, Chong's and Rashford's job. Midfielders done their job of controlling the game.

Both him and Matic spread passes really well, even his trademark diagonal passes to Dalot was a consistent play last night.

There are many great balls for Greenwood to run into, then last night we realized that Greenwood doesn't have that explosive pace.

kiristao

I thought he had a good game. Kept pushing us forward and spreading the play well, Won the ball back very often, hit the bar and had an assist. I don't know what more people expect him to do.
He was not the problem last night. Rashfords poor finishing and Chong constantly losing the ball were the main issues for me last night.

Bwuk

He was decent enough yesterday but he takes far too many touches and has poor control.

It'd be a worry to play him deep against the better sides in the league. It's fine against Astana, but the top sides wouldn't give him as much time on the ball.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He did well, on few occasions he took many touches and lacked composure but overall he had good game. Very unlucky not to score.

Rajma

He was decent enough yesterday but he takes far too many touches and has poor control.
I see this lie mentioned a lot for some reason? He took 155 touches to complete 130+ passes, you can do the math right? He's actually our best player at moving and releasing the ball fast without taking ages, I sometimes wonder what on earth some of you are watching.

Rajma

What? He had 128 passes find their target out of 136 (94%), 6 of those that went astray were in the final third.
I’m not saying he was incredible but wasn’t as sloppy on the ball like you make out.
Just another poster that didn't watch the game and comes out shortly after with pre-typed posts.

Bwuk

I see this lie mentioned a lot for some reason? He took 155 touches to complete 130+ passes, you can do the math right? He's actually our best player at moving and releasing the ball fast without taking ages, I sometimes wonder what on earth some of you are watching.
I don't care about stats - you can see watching it. You googling to find stats online doesn't disprove anything.

He takes too long to get the ball under control - and is a liability playing deep against better sides.

Rajma

I don't care about stats - you can see watching it. You googling to find stats online doesn't disprove anything.

He takes too long to get the ball under control - and is a liability playing deep against better sides.
Once again I repeat he's our best player at moving the ball fast without dwelling on it, so you both refuse what's pretty evident just from watching him play and stats. No point in arguing further here.

Ole90+3

His positioning off the ball is not good at all - both when we have possession and when we don't. It's easy for teams to pass through the lines of the side of the pitch Fred is 'protecting', he's constantly a few yards away from where he should be.

When we're on the ball, and Fred is looking to receive a pass, he always does the Tom Cleverley move of dropping back so he has acres of spaces to receive, rather than finding those dangerous tight spaces between the opposition's defence and midfield.

Smores

Well it definitely does disprove your claim that he takes too many touches. You couldn't see him taking too many touches because that reality didn't happen.

jackal&hyde

That is where he was the most impressive for Shakhtar in the CL. Give him more time, he'll come good.

Rajma

His positioning off the ball is not good at all - both when we have possession and when we don't. It's easy for teams to pass through the lines of the side of the pitch Fred is 'protecting', he's constantly a few yards away from where he should be.

When we're on the ball, and Fred is looking to receive a pass, he always does the Tom Cleverley move of dropping back so he has acres of spaces to receive, rather than finding those dangerous tight spaces between the opposition's defence and midfield.
that's not the job of the deep sitting mf, did you see Carrick doing it for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.