Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Call me harsh but I just see Fred as an expensive Anderson.

What is he good at offering the team?! He doesn't score, doesn't assist, isn't strong, not good in the air, isn't good at through balls. He can get a few passes together in the centre of the pitch....that's it

If we can get £30m for him which i doubt, take the money and run. Awful player
Not harsh, just a poor judge.
I am no fan of Phil Jones, but that's totally on Fred, nothing to do with the CB.
Haha. It’s nothing on fred either. It’s actually rashford not tracking Walker that causes all the issues.

Williams has Mahrez, Walker is the free man. Fred gets attracted towards Walker and de Bruyne, leaving silva to drift away from the centre backs.

at this point the whole team is disjointed, either the team needs to tuck across or 1 of the CB needs to drop out onto silva.

blaming fred though is ludicrous, he can’t mark 3 city players at once!

mancan92

Was very good yesterday. Again to be honest i don't think he is great I just think we are soo bad that he stands out not being awful like j lingz or perrira. But he has been doing decently nothing spectacular

romufc

You have to think, why play a 4-2-3-1 and ask Rashford not to track?

If you want Rashford to cheat and stay higher up, you play a 4-3-3 and have the LCM covering whilst still having 2 other CM's marking.

Its simple tactics when you don't control possession and do not have a no. 10

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Was very good yesterday. Again to be honest i don't think he is great I just think we are soo bad that he stands out not being awful like j lingz or perrira. But he has been doing decently nothing spectacular
This seems to be par of the course for us these days. Same thing with Shaw in the first half of last season.

Credit to Fred though, he's cracked on despite having a lot on his plate in the centre of the park.

Raven

Call me harsh but I just see Fred as an expensive Anderson.

What is he good at offering the team?! He doesn't score, doesn't assist, isn't strong, not good in the air, isn't good at through balls. He can get a few passes together in the centre of the pitch....that's it

If we can get £30m for him which i doubt, take the money and run. Awful player
What are you good at offering this forum? Awful poster.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

If you want Rashford to cheat and stay higher up, you play a 4-3-3 and have the LCM covering whilst still having 2 other CM's marking.

I genuinely worry that our management don’t understand what they’re doing.

I don’t think ole realises or cares how important midfield is in modern football. I think he sees the game as 2 periods defence/attack and midfield is just the work horse in between.

his insistence to keep playing Lingard in the number 10 when he can’t even control the ball is extremely frustrating.

as you say our plan is let rashford cheat then hope we win the ball back and let him counter - pep saw straight through that and killed any type of counter attack anyway.

going down 3-0 at home in a 2 legged tie against your local rivals is just an absolute pisstake.

romufc

I genuinely worry that our management don’t understand what they’re doing.

I don’t think ole realises or cares how important midfield is in modern football. I think he sees the game as 2 periods defence/attack and midfield is just the work horse in between.

his insistence to keep playing Lingard in the number 10 when he can’t even control the ball is extremely frustrating.

as you say our plan is let rashford cheat then hope we win the ball back and let him counter - pep saw straight through that and killed any type of counter attack anyway.

going down 3-0 at home in a 2 legged tie against your local rivals is just an absolute pisstake.
You can do pep once with the cheat, but managers will see through it. Pep decided to make our strength our weakness yesterday. Something that Ole should have seen coming.

He overloaded Bernado, Mahrez, KDB, Walker V Williams and Jones.

KDB and Bernado are world class players and letting them overload your defence like that is amateur / Naive.

Surely If you want Rashford to cheat you don't need Lingard in the 10, you reinforce the midfield allowing fred to cover.

No one goes into a season thinking I will have all my players fit for the whole season. So you think If Pogba and McT injured who do we have left? Matic and Fred.

Fred has done well recently but at the start of the season you couldn't have trusted him

Matic wants out so I just cannot understand how the manager and club are thinking.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Got to be honest, if there's one player who sums up how low our expectations have dropped, it's Fred. Genuinely baffled by the effusive praise he has gained over the past few weeks. He not our only problem, or necessarily our biggest, but he's so damn average.

Like any team who's struggling, when you see a player working hard he immediately stands out. Similar to how McTominay has risen to our most important midfielder. Now, i like McTominay fine and think he has genuinely improved, but he's also a very limited as a player. But considering how utterly gash we are, he stands out.

And that's what's happening with Fred, in my opinion. He's a worker, there's no doubt about it. But he's so bloody limited and average in other areas. His passing is limited, he still looks clumsy and uncomfortable on the ball at times. His crossing is poor (not the only one, tbf) and his shooting is abysmal. The guy's a £50m player; you expect a bit more than running around a lot. Maybe a little bit harsh; he has improved on the ball somewhat, but not to the required levels. He's still very much a player that looks lost out there.

Litch

Stating my honest opinion is no agenda. Fred obviously along with Williams looked our best players, but most of it was due to the shambolic shit happening all around them. I don't fault his heart and desire, but he is a painfully average midfielder. For a supposed MF with a defensive nous, he gets so easily bypassed and turned it's not even funny. He will probably benefit the moment that we actually have an actual CDM playing alongside and he gets to play the Herrera role in a midfield 3. At the moment he, along with his partner in midfield are one of the main reasons why we can't fix our defense, and have very little control of the game. Combine that with his ordinary attacking output, add to that his constant brain farts, and regular 2 shocking shots per game, you get Fred.

Talk about "worth the 50m we paid" it just shows how our fan base have lowered their standards. The moment when we have an actual quality midfielder most on here would take notice. As it stands, I'd rather have Herrera, and I really didn't rate him neither, not like many on here did.
Each to their own and football is about opinions but there gets to a point when 90% on here see something different to you, surely you then ask yourself maybe You are wrong? I think it comes across a little arrogant that your superior knowledge is based on the fact that others aren't as privileged to see something that you can because they have 'lowered' their standards. Any Utd fan who knows the clubs history, the midfield was never always full of Keanes and Scholes. Those are Legends of the club for going reason as they represent generational talent and probably 1% of any midfield that's ever worn a Utd shirt. I don't think anyone is suggesting that's Fred, but there's a bunch of 99% of midfielders that have been good enough to play for this club. I think people's frustrations are we no longer have any generational talent and the lowering of standards is based on that and nothing else. How would Fletch or Butt look in this team?

Litch

Got to be honest, if there's one player who sums up how low our expectations have dropped, it's Fred. Genuinely baffled by the effusive praise he has gained over the past few weeks. He not our only problem, or necessarily our biggest, but he's so damn average.

Like any team who's struggling, when you see a player working hard he immediately stands out. Similar to how McTominay has risen to our most important midfielder. Now, i like McTominay fine and think he has genuinely improved, but he's also a very limited as a player. But considering how utterly gash we are, he stands out.

And that's what's happening with Fred, in my opinion. He's a worker, there's no doubt about it. But he's so bloody limited and average in other areas. His passing is limited, he still looks clumsy and uncomfortable on the ball at times. His crossing is poor (not the only one, tbf) and his shooting is abysmal. The guy's a £50m player; you expect a bit more than running around a lot. Maybe a little bit harsh; he has improved on the ball somewhat, but not to the required levels. He's still very much a player that looks lost out there.
What expectations are you referring to? What player are you comparing Fred to previously that makes you think our expectations are lower cause I want to see how far back you intend to go? Also context is important as who did those players play next to and was managed by? If we are trying to compare expectations, I saw one of the greatest Utd teams get demolished by a Barca side but sometimes you have to accept there are always levels beyond expectations. Didn't mean it wasnt a great Utd team.

Never get this 50m nonsense either. We all know there are many factors that influence fees and lots of them aren't even football related.

Last edited:

Kostov

Each to their own and football is about opinions but there gets to a point when 90% on here see something different to you, surely you then ask yourself maybe You are wrong? I think it comes across a little arrogant that your superior knowledge is based on the fact that others aren't as privileged to see something that you can because they have 'lowered' their standards. Any Utd fan who knows the clubs history, the midfield was never always full of Keanes and Scholes. Those are Legends of the club for going reason as they represent generational talent and probably 1% of any midfield that's ever worn a Utd shirt. I don't think anyone is suggesting that's Fred, but there's a bunch of 99% of midfielders that have been good enough to play for this club. I think people's frustrations are we no longer have any generational talent and the lowering of standards is based on that and nothing else. How would Fletch or Butt look in this team?
What kind of arrogance are you talking about? Claiming fans expectations have dropped is arrogance? Redcafe is also hardly the United fan base. On this forum I was branded as a Lingard hater when 2 years ago I claimed he wasn’t good enough, “superior” footballing know hows told me that I don’t understand the game of football just because I don’t rate a number 10 who’s best attribute is running and movement.It needed a total shambolic calendar year and memes of how bad Lingard is in order to swing the general consensus on here. So don’t tell me just because I am not going with the flow I am arrogant. Fred while absolutely being a competitive midfielder who should have a squad place here, will never be good enough to be a mainstay in a team worthy to win mayor honors. I have no problem with him having a part here because he is not a bad option to have, but we need better going forward. I’ve been saying the same thing for Lindelof and Herrera before.

EDIT: And to answer that last sentence, both would probably be on the same level or better than Fred, something like McTomminay. Fletch at his best was comfortably better than Fred and I'd rather have Butt than Fred at this very moment, he imo is better than Fred in the defensive part, while Fred has more expansive passing which is still hot and cold, and can't be relied upon. And United fans should know better than most regarding CMs, if they know their history that is. From Robson to Keane and Scholes and then Carrick. To know consider that Fred is actually good enough, i don't know what to say.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
What expectations are you referring to? What player are you comparing Fred to previously that makes you think our expectations are lower cause I want to see how far back you intend to go? Also context is important as who did those players play next to and was managed by? If we are trying to compare expectations, I saw one of the greatest Utd teams get demolished by a Barca side but sometimes you have to accept there are always levels beyond expectations. Didn't mean it wasnt a great Utd team.

Never get this 50m nonsense either. We all know there are many factors that influence fees and lots of them aren't even football related.

The general expectations that have been lowered by the club, the manager, the owners, the fans - whatever. It's there. Surely you can see that the expectations of this club have been lowered to where a Carabao Cup win would've solidified Ole's job going into next summer.

I'm not really comparing him to any player in particular. It's more to do with the fact that he's been getting an effusive amount of praise for what seems like the minimal amount of work or quality you would expect from a midfielder for that amount of money. And yes, i agree with you somewhat about the price paid for someone. It's not his fault that he cost that much, but he did and that's inevitably going to be brought him when discussing him. Similar to Maguire.

This is now gonna sound like i'm digging the guy out and making him solely responsible for our poor form and lowered expectations. But i'm not really, he's just a symptom of that. The point i'm making is that he's still a very average midfielder, but due to him being in a team that is such a mess, he stands out because he works his arse off and that seems to be enough. To me he's still nowhere near good enough for where we need to be.

The last part about us losing to Barca has no relevance to what i'm saying really and seems like an odd thing to throw in. Of course there's always levels, but our levels seem to be dropping week after week. If i was merely complaining because we just lost to City, then i could see you making that comment and it making sense. But i'm not. I didn't need to see City beat us last night to know that we're not as good as them. My comment about Fred is more of a general one about our fall over the past few years and how the bar is continually lowered to the point were this player is now considered a success. If not "success", then warrants an inordinate amount of praise due to the fact that he stands out by merely running around more. Because he has't improved that much in other aspects of his game, imo.

Robaldo

I wholeheartedly agree regarding Fred: he runs and runs but gives no control whatsoever, as far as I can see. Compare him to someone like Herrera even, let alone previous United midfielders, and he's got none of the technical attributes whatsoever.

Now, because he does appear to be playing his heart out, I can understand why people want to come to the conclusion that he's playing well, but personally, I'm a long way from thinking so.

zenith

I swear if this forum was alive and kicking when Beckham, Scholes and giggs were plying their trade then Beckham would be a glorified one trick pony, giggs a kick and rush merchant and Keane would be a limited player who just kicks other players a lot.

Now, I don't mean to say that Fred is of similar quality but when a player is actually doing well despite being absolutely knackered, how hard is it to be appreciative of that.

Fred was everywhere on the pitch. He's been winning possession back, making line breaking passes and supporting in attack whenever he can and he's been doing it for a while. Surely, can't be too tough to see that.

Kostov

Not harsh, just a poor judge.

Haha. It’s nothing on fred either. It’s actually rashford not tracking Walker that causes all the issues.

Williams has Mahrez, Walker is the free man. Fred gets attracted towards Walker and de Bruyne, leaving silva to drift away from the centre backs.

at this point the whole team is disjointed, either the team needs to tuck across or 1 of the CB needs to drop out onto silva.

Ha Ha Ha, yeah it's on Rashford and Phil Jones and maybe DDG 10 minutes before the goal, nothing to do with the lame attempt by Fred to get back into his position and block a player 1m away from him. Jones even if he tried to get to him was 3m away and couldn't block him, Fred was in front of him, moving casually in a very tight space. It's also a very evident example of how Fred plays in general, so easy to turn and bypass, his general defensive play leaves a lot do be desired, even though he wins a lot of balls. I think he should play alongside a proper CDM if we are to have a solid midfielder pairing.

He'sRaldo

Exactly! Ole's infatuation with the 4-2-3-1 and our average no.10's will be his undoing, and at this point he'll have only himself to blame.

He'sRaldo

Not every player needs to be complete or binned off. He's clearly capable of being part of a dominating midfield unit if he plays with the right partners, which is a similar situation with Pogba and Scott. Fine if they have weaknesses, let their partners compensate for them!

This obsession with complete players is why we don't rate some of our players, and then they go on to show outside of Utd how good they are when complemented well.

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

I swear if this forum was alive and kicking when Beckham, Scholes and giggs were plying their trade then Beckham would be a glorified one trick pony, giggs a kick and rush merchant and Keane would be a limited player who just kicks other players a lot.
:D Naah, didn't happen. They're too all around good, offers too much more. Not one dimensional.

Keane sort of declined at his late seasons and Scholes's bad tackling ability does get mentioned a lot at the caf but still, their boons weren't ignored.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not every player needs to be complete or binned off. He's clearly capable of being part of a dominating midfield unit if he plays with the right partners, which is a similar situation with Pogba and Scott. Fine if they have weaknesses, let their partners compensate for them!

This obsession with complete players is why we don't rate some of our players, and then they go on to show outside of Utd how good they are when complemented well.
It's got absolutely nothing to do with an "obsession" over complete players. I don't think it's asking too much for a player bought for a not insubstantial amount of money to do more in our midfield than run around more. He's improved from where he was, granted, but he's still painfully average. Maybe he'll improve even more over time, maybe he does need someone next to him to help, but i can only judge on what he's doing now. And i just find the gushing over him symptomatic of the lowering standards we have as a club.

And i think the fact that some players go on to prosper at a different clubs has more to do with the state we're in as a team in regards to coaching, or lack thereof, and not simply having a different partner in midfield or wherever they happen to play.

He'sRaldo

It's got absolutely nothing to do with an "obsession" over complete players. I don't think it's asking too much for a player bought for a not insubstantial amount of money to do more in our midfield than run around more. He's improved from where he was, granted, but he's still painfully average. Maybe he'll improve even more over time, maybe he does need someone next to him to help, but i can only judge on what he's doing now. And i just find the gushing over him symptomatic of the lowering standards we have as a club.

And i think the fact that some players go on to prosper at a different clubs has more to do with the state we're in as a team in regards to coaching, or lack thereof, and not simply having a different partner in midfield or wherever they happen to play.
For the type of player he is, he's doing exactly what you should expect to a very good level and even more; the issue as you've alluded to is that the state of our team means he can't really shine or receive fair credit for his work because we're losing often, both midfield control and matches.

Obsession is probably the wrong word to have used, but there is a feeling that our players, midfield especially, need to "do more". Pogba needs to run around, and tackle, and show passion like Scott. Scott needs to pass, and ping it around, and create chances like Paul. Fred needs to shoot better, score more goals, improve his crossing, etc. You see what I mean. If each of them could do the things they lack, then they'd be complete players, which is basically what I meant.

If they all played together and played off each other, we wouldn't need them to do more as they'd add all the necessary ingredients to the midfield and once we gain midfield control and start winning matches, they would get due credit and wouldn't be seen as lacking anymore. Of course that's all theoretical and dependent on the coaching staff, which you also mentioned.

tjb

I agree. People see him run around and assume he is being productive while he has such little impact on the defensive side of our midfield, the answer is in the statistics. In addition to that, his balance and first touch are not to the quality of a deep lying playmaker for us, he has poor shooting ability and combined with his lack of creativity, it means that he provides enough talent to cover for a starting midfielder, but not of the quality of a player starting for utd. Mctominay can be called a combative box to box midfielder as he wins back the ball for us. I am happy he is in the team and I feel he is useful to us now.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
For the type of player he is, he's doing exactly what you should expect to a very good level and even more; the issue as you've alluded to is that the state of our team means he can't really shine or receive fair credit for his work because we're losing often, both midfield control and matches.

Obsession is probably the wrong word to have used, but there is a feeling that our players, midfield especially, need to "do more". Pogba needs to run around, and tackle, and show passion like Scott. Scott needs to pass, and ping it around, and create chances like Paul. Fred needs to shoot better, score more goals, improve his crossing, etc. You see what I mean. If each of them could do the things they lack, then they'd be complete players, which is basically what I meant.

If they all played together and played off each other, we wouldn't need them to do more as they'd add all the necessary ingredients to the midfield and once we gain midfield control and start winning matches, they would get due credit and wouldn't be seen as lacking anymore. Of course that's all theoretical and dependent on the coaching staff, which you also mentioned.
You throw in "improve his passing" and you're basically describing what makes up 90% of a midfield player...and he can't do them. Or at least not to the required level. I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying about our midfield not functioning as a unit, and if it did then he would probably be all the better for it. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. I can only comment on the evidence in front of me now, and what i see is a player who, since he's been here, has been pretty much a failure. But know he's really putting in a shift (which i have time for) and running around a lot more, and he's been elevated to this status that isn't commensurate with his output. At least for me, it isn't. He does win the ball back more than he used to and breaks up play, but he still has a touch of the headless chicken about him; he never, ever seems in control.

I suppose the fundamental thing here between men and you is, and any others who may disagree with what i'm saying, is that i don't believe he can get much better. I just think he's incredibly limited and average and i don't see that changing too much, which is obviously a problem. Because that ain't good enough. I hope i'm wrong, obviously, but i don't see it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Fred has improved tremendously over last 3/4 months. He looks like a decentish CDM now. Definitely worth keeping around. However I think people need to reign in the praise a little. He's not all of a sudden Michael Carrick mark II. He's still a pretty average player. Just the best of a bad bunch right now. Long term we should be looking at better than him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Wow people acting like superstars saying we have fallen off for admiring the improvement of Fred.

Utter nonsense.

Liverpool & City are made of players in an age bracket of 26+ which include players Henderson, widjnaldum, Gundogan, de Bryune, Silva, Allison, Firmino, Salah, Mane, Milner, Fabinho -

We literally had no one except Pogba & now people want to bash Fred's rise to some importance to the team?

Seriously? What's wrong with people. It's the type of age bracket and experience we need around our younger players to compete with the big guns again & Fred is becoming a vital part to our midfield, defence and attack.

You lot would be talking the same way about widjnaldum the same way in our centre midfield with no one else around him and no coordination & you know it. That's not me rating him him to other players - but that's saying we need more players like him before you chuck a player like him out of the window for being average.

spiriticon

I think Fred can evolve to be excellent defensive midfielder playing just in front of the back four. The Makelele role, so to speak, although that doesn't seem to be in fashion these days.

Woodenlung

I don't see Fred as a defensive midfielder at all tbh. He plays his best as ball winning midfielder who breaks up play and starts quick counters. When playing at speed he's quite good. Wins the ball and plays an incisive pass to a forward.

If you play him as a screen for the back four you take away his greatest attributes.

spiriticon

I don't see Fred as a defensive midfielder at all tbh. He plays his best as ball winning midfielder who breaks up play and starts quick counters. When playing at speed he's quite good. Wins the ball and plays an incisive pass to a forward.

If you play him as a screen for the back four you take away his greatest attributes.
It's exactly because of his ball winning attributes that I think he'd be great playing just a little deeper. He doesn't have the subtlety of pass needed to play high and central.

If he can sweep up the second balls falling just outside our area and then play a fairly simple pass to set our wingers off quickly, it'll be mint.

Foxbatt

Playing as a holding midfield player is his biggest weakness. He can pass very well. Some of his through passing has been the best we have done this season. When you over work any player he is not going to be at his best. He is always outnumbered and over worked in our midfield because the rest of them are so crap. Put Fred in a decent 3 man midfield or a 4 man m idfield and play to a system and he will play a lot more better.

MS4

This forum :-)

Suddenly when one player rises, he is immediately compared to any ultimate top player of the past.
Fred improved from a 4/10 to a, lets say, 7/10 and the only thing people have to say is "Well..why do we lower or standards, he is no busquets or makelele"

Litch

Predicting another MOTM performance today. Whether the bar is lower or not, can't remember a player having so many arguably MOTM performances over such a long period. Pretty much been our best or second player each game since October. Haters will hate....

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Another solid performance today. Some lovely passing. Dictating tempo at times, although that's not his biggest strength. Fantastic ball over the top to Martial only for Williams to miss that absolute sitter.

After two seasons, he's actually looking like the player who bossed City's midfield in those Champions League games for Shakhtar.

Don't get me wrong, he's got a long way to go before I'd consider him anywhere near World Class and he'll probably will never be but he's a solid, solid player. If he gives us 7/10 performances like that all the time then that's all we need him to be.

Andersons Dietician

He was excellent today. there was a first time pass to Martial which was a beauty. Gets stuck in and I like that he is starting to dictate our tempo in parts.

the hea

The way he has improved in the last 4 months is astonishing. From a player most people wanted sold to one of the most important players in the team. He has become very consistent and doesn't seem to have a bad game nowdays.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
After Rashford he’s been our second best player this season, in my opinion. Looks a really good player now, well worth his price tag now.

Skills

Snitch
He injects pace and tempo into our passing. Really drills the ball forward, rather than lazy little lay offs/slow passes.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He was excellent today. there was a first time pass to Martial which was a beauty. Gets stuck in and I like that he is starting to dictate our tempo in parts.
He does get stuck in but I feel he's still a bit weak strength wise. He is very dynamic though which makes up for it.

Superunknown

I'm glad that he's had a run of games and he looks very comfortable out there now in a United shirt. He's been one of our better performers this season. Although we didn't see it today, I've been encouraged by the McTominay-Fred partnership in midfield. The real issue has been the other position in that midfield three, which we might hopefully be able to sort out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.