5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil You Know

I'll never understand why this guy is so rated on this forum. If we can get anything over £10m, we should take the money and run.

Monks_United

Get what we can for McFred and buy a good prospect from that. Introduce Hannibal into the squad and I’d be pretty happy with that overall !

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm confident Fred would be a very effective squad player next season. I'd argue he's close to a perfect squad player (always available, doesn't moan about not playing first fiddle, can play 90' of intense football, even contributes to goals and assists). I was always baffled why he is so disliked by United fans. Granted he isn't top quality player but he was just as useful as Eriksen for us last season (and actually we peaked against Barca with Fred in the team).

With Mount coming I'd be willing to let Fred go, but selling McTominay should definitely be a priority (maybe we can get more money for him too).

OldTrevil

Selling Fred and keeping McT would be a big mistake from a football point of view, unless we get another midfielder before.

Kingofwinners

Sell them both. If we want to keep one as a reserve would rather McTominay, Fred is too erratic, hard to see that getting better with less games and a year older.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Selling Fred is like killing John Coffey in The Green Mile.

El Zoido

I'm confident Fred would be a very effective squad player next season. I'd argue he's close to a perfect squad player (always available, doesn't moan about not playing first fiddle, can play 90' of intense football, even contributes to goals and assists). I was always baffled why he is so disliked by United fans. Granted he isn't top quality player but he was just as useful as Eriksen for us last season (and actually we peaked against Barca with Fred in the team).

With Mount coming I'd be willing to let Fred go, but selling McTominay should definitely be a priority (maybe we can get more money for him too).
Too hot and cold, and it’s not like he’s a superstar when he’s on it. His top level is decent, while his bottom level is godawful. Usually he’s just middling. So what is there to love? He doesn’t offer enough and will not be missed when he leaves.

manutddjw

It's a sad state and an indictment on the Glazers that we have to sell a good squad player strictly for financial purposes. In my opinion, Fred was our second best midfielder last season after Casemiro (I classified Bruno as an attacker). I think he was definitely better than Eriksen and McTominay last season. He did have some shockers, but on the whole he was good for us. I'd rather we keep him, but I guess we kind of have to sell if a good offer comes in.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Fecking hell. He’s been here 5 years and will be nothing more than he’s shown. Sell and bring in new blood.

GL21

Please be sold...to any club, for any fee. Worst regular starter for the club I have ever seen. Good riddance

morree

The standards have really fallen when fans wanna keep mediocre players like McTominay and Fred. These are the players we need to look to replace if we wanna progress. You think the other top clubs in the PL would want them even for their bench? I very much doubt that, so why should we?

GL21

We cannot afford sentiment for the wee guy that runs around a lot, or tries his best ffs. We should have midfielders that would get a game for most clubs in world football. Enough of the Fred embarrassment. We will never win anything with him he is such terribly bad quality at his worst

Devil You Know

Fred is an agent of chaos.

He slots into midfield and runs around doing random things that make the midfield area difficult to control for both his own team and the opposition. For every good tackle or good interception he makes, he'll also miss a tackle or get caught dangerously out of possession.

When people talk about "good Fred or bad Fred" I think they're getting it wrong. It's always the same Fred: "chaotic Fred". In either case, he'll never be a tool to help United control midfield. All he's good for is preventing the other team from controlling it whenever they lack midfielders with enough composure. But even that is becoming increasingly rare in the PL these days.

No manager can build an effective team strategy when they don't know what to expect. It's always better to be able to predict what your players will do, because that way you can plan around their weaknesses. That's where I think EtH will find him less useful than Solskjaer did - because Erik is more of a system manager, whereas Ole relied more on individuals pouncing on random moments.

Fred is nice guy but a terrible player for an aspiring top team. He'll be good for a side like Fulham if he goes there imo. I also think there's more value to McTominay staying because we don't have anybody else who can be a physical bulwark in midfield when Casemiro is out. There'd obviously a big drop in passing quality when Scot comes in, but that should be more manageable now that he'll be flanked by Mount and Bruno. I don't see Fred giving us as much benefit.

Last edited:

Devil You Know

Please be sold...to any club, for any fee. Worst regular starter for the club I have ever seen. Good riddance
Probably true, though I'm sure I'm forgetting some obvious counterexamples.

I think Fred detracts from teamplay almost as much as he adds. He only played so much last season because Eriksen got injured and then came back half-fit. Hopefully Mount will mean we'll rarely see Fred start again so often, and Eriksen will be the first sub.

To his credit, Fred was much better than Sabitzer. But that reflects badly on Sabitzer more than it reflects well on Fred. Both were poor last season.

Edit: Weghorst, obviously!

Last edited:

Monks_United

He's probably also going to be sold this summer
Well, I'm guessing the fact that he was bought for something around 9-10 mil and we are unlikely to recoup that kind of money by selling him (or atleast not a decent profit) would mean that he would only be sold for a decent sum of money. McFred would probably fetch more in terms of profit + be on higher wages so it should make more sense to move them on

Status
Not open for further replies.