Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Based Adnan

I'd bite your hand off for £20m.

Average player, doesn't fit the managers playstyle, 30 and in the last year of his contract. Hardly a surprise Fulham aren't willing to pay the £20m.

Marwood

Good fee that at £20 million. We shouldn't have paid much more in the first place.

caid

I guess i'd sell him for 20. I think rather keep him than sell for less. It makes sense but i think i'll miss him, which i dont expect to say about many other possible departures.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think £20m would be a great deal for a mid-table side for a player of Fred's quality.

Imagine they'll want to try get him for £15m though.

RonaldoVII

I love Fred and think he's a good squad player. However we know his top level and he's 30 with a year left(?) so if we can get some money then we'd be daft to turn it down. However, McTominay should also go as he's a level below. We just need quality replacements though.

Jaae

Not ITK
The important thing is who we replace him with. It’s no good selling Fred then buying another technically limited midfielder.

A few years ago I sarcastically referred to 2013-18 as the Fellaini years, and little did I know we were sleepwalking into the fecking McFred years.

kidbob

I'd love to get rid of him and Scott but it'd mean we'd need Mount, Rabiot and at least one more midfielder in. Don't think we can trust Hannibal or Mainoo just yet. If we can get 3 in in total then definitely sell both of them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
£20m would be a good deal for us considering he's got one year left on his contract and is 30 years old.

But I think he's going to leave for around £15m and the quicker the likes of Fred and McTominay are moved on the better.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
£20m would be a good deal for us considering he's got one year left on his contract and is 30 years old.

But I think he's going to leave for around £15m and the quicker the likes of Fred and McTominay are moved on the better.
Yeah, I think 20m is likely us trying to ensure we get 12m.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
I guess i'd sell him for 20. I think rather keep him than sell for less. It makes sense but i think i'll miss him, which i dont expect to say about many other possible departures.
Agreed. Love Fred’s attitude and spirit. I’d rather keep him, think he’s a great squad option.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let him go. We all like his fiery chase everything down attitude but it’s interspersed between some terrible to bang average midfield play. His sort of oscillating level is fine for Crystal Palace and Fulham not Manchester United. He’s fright inducing in deeper areas and going forward someone like Mount will be an enormous upgrade.

Oranges038

Rubbish player. Emblematic of our decline post-Fergie.

In 2018, at the point he signed, he was the 2nd most expensive midfielder in the world. Pogba was 1st. Between them, they were peak Woodward projects in his concept of how to build a squad.

I like his attitude, but will breathe a sigh of relief when he's no longer coming onto the pitch in a United shirt. I'd take £5m to £10m to be honest.
It's actually mental when you look at it that way.

But, you know he laughs when he does something stupid and he runs around a lot.. so he's likeable or some shit...

Hopefully this clown is shown the door fairly soon.

Kostov

Rubbish player. Emblematic of our decline post-Fergie.

In 2018, at the point he signed, he was the 2nd most expensive midfielder in the world. Pogba was 1st. Between them, they were peak Woodward projects in his concept of how to build a squad.

I like his attitude, but will breathe a sigh of relief when he's no longer coming onto the pitch in a United shirt. I'd take £5m to £10m to be honest.
That's so depressing, and there are United fans who will still tell you he was "good buy".

The White Pele

He’s been a decent player for us and despite not reaching the level required I don’t think he’s as bad as some people make out. I don’t feel he deserves the name-calling or some of the derogatory insults thrown in his direction.

He’d certainly be some way down the list of players I’d want to leave this summer if we were basing it on contribution to the team. However, he is 30, he is clearly not seen as a key player by Ten Hag for the short or long term and therefore with just a year to go on his contract it makes sense to part ways to recover some funds. It will actually be refreshing to see United do this rather than just let it play out as usual.

He does need replacing with a proper player for us not to be weakened by his departure though. Which, again, is more than you can say for some of the other players on our books.

Edit: when I was doing my transfer muppet pen and paper workings of Ins and Outs for this summer (because I’m sad), I had Fred down as £15m so hopefully not far off. I did have at least 10 other players going before him though.

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

Im pretty sure Fred played more than any of our midfielders last season. So he is first choice and one of the key reasons we came third and got a cup. Plus he is a Brazil international that played in the World cup. Yet he gets 0 respect.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Im pretty sure Fred played more than any of our midfielders last season. So he is first choice and one of the key reasons we came third and got a cup. Plus he is a Brazil international that played in the World cup. Yet he gets 0 respect.
He played more than Bruno?

DanClancy

United will only get £20m if there's more then Fulham interested. He'll be on big money but that contract was signed 5 years ago and the likes of Fulham can probably afford to match it.

Its not rocket science why a 30 year old bit part player with a year left on his contract is been sold ahead of McTominay.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fred started 12 league games and was a sub in 23 league games. He played total of 1235 mins, just 80 mins more than McTominay and McTominay was out with injury for many games.

He is 15th in total mins, just 80 mins more than 16th. Players below him in mins.

16. McTominay - 1151 mins - He was injured for many games
17. Martial - 980 - Injured almost all season
18. Weghorst - 797 - Jan loan signing
20 Sabitzer - 628 - Jan loan signing and then was injured
21. Garnacho - 563 - Started to play games from November and then he was injured for couple of months.
22. Ronaldo - 520 - Left in November

So in a way you can conclude Fred is the least trusted player by EtH.

flappyjay

He’s been a decent player for us and despite not reaching the level required I don’t think he’s as bad as some people make out. I don’t feel he deserves the name-calling or some of the derogatory insults thrown in his direction.

He’d certainly be some way down the list of players I’d want to leave this summer if we were basing it on contribution to the team. However, he is 30, he is clearly not seen as a key player by Ten Hag for the short or long term and therefore with just a year to go on his contract it makes sense to part ways to recover some funds. It will actually be refreshing to see United do this rather than just let it play out as usual.

He does need replacing with a proper player for us not to be weakened by his departure though. Which, again, is more than you can say for some of the other players on our books.

Edit: when I was doing my transfer muppet pen and paper workings of Ins and Outs for this summer (because I’m sad), I had Fred down as £15m so hopefully not far off. I did have at least 10 other players going before him though.
Agree with you sentiments but these high energy midfielders you never know how they handle their 30's, look at kante. It's time to cash in.

UpWithRivers

Fred started 12 league games and was a sub in 23 league games. He played total of 1235 mins, just 80 mins more than McTominay and McTominay was out with injury for many games.

He is 15th in total mins, just 80 mins more than 16th. Players below him in mins.

16. McTominay - 1151 mins - He was injured for many games
17. Martial - 980 - Injured almost all season
18. Weghorst - 797 - Jan loan signing
20 Sabitzer - 628 - Jan loan signing and then was injured
21. Garnacho - 563 - Started to play games from November and then he was injured for couple of months.
22. Ronaldo - 520 - Left in November

So in a way you can conclude Fred is the least trusted player by EtH.
Depends how you look at it I suppose. Involved in 35 league games. More than any other midfielder. Top 3/4 in the whole team for involvements. As a back up player that's doing your job. As a first teamer no. But no one argues he's first choice.

stevoc

Depends how you look at it I suppose. Involved in 35 league games. More than any other midfielder. Top 3/4 in the whole team for involvements. As a back up player that's doing your job. As a first teamer no. But no one argues he's first choice.
Respect mate.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes, as a back up player he did well and one of the main attribute you need for a back up player is availability and he was always available. Also did decent enough job.

But your point was not that. You said " So he is first choice and one of the key reasons we came third and got a cup. " which he isn't. He is not a first choice player, far from it.

Oranges038

So was Kleberson, and he actually won it.

padzilla

Hipster
20 million seems like a bargain in the current market for a midfielder with plenty of experience in the PL and in European competition.

No doubt we will end up selling him for a fraction of that and pay something stupid for Mount who plays in exactly the same position and has a similar length of contract left.

stevoc

20 million seems like a bargain in the current market for a midfielder with plenty of experience in the PL and in European competition.

No doubt we will end up selling him for a fraction of that and pay something stupid for Mount who plays in exactly the same position and has a similar length of contract left.
Mounts a lot younger, a better player and is more of an attacking midfielder though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Mount is several tiers above Fred. They’re not remotely comparable. Can you imagine Fred winning PoTY for any team in the PL let alone Chelsea?

Scottynaldinho

We shouldn't be selling a player like Fred. He's been important in our big wins, which have only been a few, for the past 3 seasons.

He's strange, someone who's inconsistent but can be trusted to rise to the occasion.

Last edited:

Eric_the_Red99

We shouldn't be selling a player like Fred. He's been important in our big wins, which have only been a few wins, for the past 3 seasons.

He's strange, someone who's inconsistent but can be trusted to rise to the occasion.
Tbh, I’d be reluctant to sell any of our midfielders until we have signed some replacements. Last season’s injury crisis could easily happen again, and Eriksen and Casemiro will both be a year older.

Lentwood

Tbh, I’d be reluctant to sell any of our midfielders until we have signed some replacements. Last season’s injury crisis could easily happen again, and Eriksen and Casemiro will both be a year older.
We're not in a position of luxury to be able to horde fringe players in case of several injuries because we're restricted in what we can spend by the mistakes of the past decade and the squad needs major surgery.

What would you rather have, a 4th choice CM or another season of DDG in goal or Martial as the lone CF?

Eric_the_Red99

We're not in a position of luxury to be able to horde fringe players in case of several injuries because we're restricted in what we can spend by the mistakes of the past decade and the squad needs major surgery.

What would you rather have, a 4th choice CM or another season of DDG in goal or Martial as the lone CF?
Having sufficient depth in midfield is not a luxury when one of our first choice midfielders simply doesn’t have the legs for 90 minutes, and the other is prone to getting suspended for lengthy spells (and is probably going to start declining physically sooner rather than later). Once we bring in another first choice CM who can give us 50+ games a season (which we’re in the process of doing) I’d be happy to trim the squad, but not before then.

Lentwood

Having sufficient depth in midfield is not a luxury when one of our first choice midfielders simply doesn’t have the legs for 90 minutes, and the other is prone to getting suspended for lengthy spells (and is probably going to start declining physically sooner rather than later). Once we bring in another first choice CM who can give us 50+ games a season (which we’re in the process of doing) I’d be happy to trim the squad, but not before then.
Fairly certain we will sign Mount + lots of stories that ETH is planning to start easing Mainoo into the first team setup.

I'm more inclined to use Mainoo as the 4/5th choice and take the money for Fred whilst we can. The reality is we're going to have to sell to buy this Summer and that means taking some risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.