Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

rooney2009

I can’t believe he didn’t start on Thursday and Today even
Eriksen is not fit yet and does not bring the energy in big games

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Brighton found it a lot harder to play through the middle. I don’t know why he’s played such sporadic minutes when our midfield has been so porous recently
It is weird. As soon as McT got fit, he replaced Fred. After that Eth did all sort of combos with Bruno, Sabi, McT and Eriksen. All without Fred.

Tony247

Excellent game today. Controlled the midfield and very good defensively. We became better with him.

Tony247

I can’t believe he didn’t start on Thursday and Today even
Eriksen is not fit yet and does not bring the energy in big games
With Eriksen you have creativity. Fred is an anchor. To rest Eriksen we need someone of similar profile.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
With Eriksen you have creativity. Fred is an anchor. To rest Eriksen we need someone of similar profile.
With Fred we get more turnovers which is what you want if you setup to play on the counter. I believe Fred was the better option to start all things considered.
I am not sure if we'll be looking for Eriksen type of midfielder tbh.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It is weird. As soon as McT got fit, he replaced Fred. After that Eth did all sort of combos with Bruno, Sabi, McT and Eriksen. All without Fred.
Scott is Casemiro's replacement. He only played because it was Casemiro who was out. Then ETH ended up moving Bruno back into midfield to get extra creativity there while both Eriksen and Casemiro were out, which actually worked surprisingly well in a couple of games. That has the knock-on effect of Sabitzer getting the nod in the now vacant #10 role.

I don't think Fred really dropped down the pecking order too much, it's just that the open spots were either in the #6 or #10 roles which ETH doesn't use him in. The problem for Fred is that ETH now sees Bruno as an option in the #8 role. In some of those games it worked well. In some it didn't. Personally I'm not a fan of it unless we're against a weak team who doesn't play with much intensity, but that seemed to be ETH's thinking over the last month or two.

Lyng

With Fred we get more turnovers which is what you want if you setup to play on the counter. I believe Fred was the better option to start all things considered.
I am not sure if we'll be looking for Eriksen type of midfielder tbh.
No but we need a deep lying play maker. Something Fred is absolutely not. He is good when playing on the counter. That should not be our end goal.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No but we need a deep lying play maker. Something Fred is absolutely not. He is good when playing on the counter. That should not be our end goal.
We were clearly set up to play on the counter yesterday, wouldn't you agree?

Regarding deep lying playmaker - I am not sure if that is what we need, I always thought DLP is like Pirlo/Veratti/Alonso kind of player, while I think we need more someone who can drive the ball from defense to forwards under pressure.

Casemiro already has some DLP skills, I don't think we are getting any better player at that, and I don't think we really need this. What we need is Caicedo kind of player, press-resistant, good passing ability, defensive capability and loads of energy.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
While I agree with that, we aren’t at the end goal right now. He’s a better Cm than Sabitzer and McTominay anyday and also better than Eriksen for certain games

Lyng

We were clearly set up to play on the counter yesterday, wouldn't you agree?

Regarding deep lying playmaker - I am not sure if that is what we need, I always thought DLP is like Pirlo/Veratti/Alonso kind of player, while I think we need more someone who can drive the ball from defense to forwards under pressure.
Yes we where and it was the correct decisions given our current squad.

Yes but a ideally we need someone with a great pass, great press resistance and able to drive the ball forward. Which is why we have hunted De Jong for so long. He is the ideal midfielder for us.

justboy68

I'm wondering if he's already arranged a move away or something. So Ten Hag is giving others who might be staying the nod over him. Seems a bit strange otherwise.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Strange hes not been in the team

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yes we where and it was the correct decisions given our current squad.

Yes but a ideally we need someone with a great pass, great press resistance and able to drive the ball forward. Which is why we have hunted De Jong for so long. He is the ideal midfielder for us.
I don't get it. You said Fred would be a better choice if we play counter attack, which we did yesterday, and then said going for Eriksen was the right choice?

Regarding the second part of the sentence, this is obviously true, as almost every club would take De Jong as he's world class in that playmaking role. But this is still a dream which is most likely not hapenning. This is irrelevant really because Ten Hag needs to work with what he has and not talk all year about what would've hapenned if we got De Jong. Eriksen isn't even that kind of player therefore it's a totally different discussion we're having.

Lyng

I don't get it. You said Fred would be a better choice if we play counter attack, which we did yesterday, and then said going for Eriksen was the right choice?

Regarding the second part of the sentence, this is obviously true, as almost every club would take De Jong as he's world class in that playmaking role. But this is still a dream which is most likely not hapenning. This is irrelevant really because Ten Hag needs to work with what he has and not talk all year about what would've hapenned if we got De Jong. Eriksen isn't even that kind of player therefore it's a totally different discussion we're having.
No what i meant was changing to Fred was the correct choice for that match.
But I dont see Fred as a first 11 player if we are supposed to challenge for the title.
Neither is Eriksen to be fair.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No what i meant was changing to Fred was the correct choice for that match.
But I dont see Fred as a first 11 player if we are supposed to challenge for the title.
Neither is Eriksen to be fair.
Fully agreed here.
I agree. We need a clear upgrade on all of them.
Depends on how you view all of our midfielders.
Eriksen and Fred are very good quality squad players. What we need is first team midfielder to compliment Casemiro in midfield and I hope this is not another AM. Another player we definitely need is Casemiro backup.
McTominay and Sabitzer are surplus stop-gap players, and once we get the balance right in midfield, they won't be needed anymore.

Lyng

Depends on how you view all of our midfielders.
Eriksen and Fred are very good quality squad players. What we need is first team midfielder to compliment Casemiro in midfield and I hope this is not another AM. Another player we definitely need is Casemiro backup.
McTominay and Sabitzer are surplus stop-gap players, and once we get the balance right in midfield, they won't be needed anymore.
Yes I agree completely with that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Long term we certainly should be looking to sign someone who is capable of bringing the best of both worlds, but for now we need to be a bit smarter with how we rotate Eriksen and Fred in that role next to Casemiro. Firstly because Eriksen shouldn't be expected to play every match (before his injury he'd been in very average form for a month or two and looked exhausted), and secondly because Fred is more suited to some games.

Shimo

I felt early on ETH really trusted him but, has really fallen off. Can understand that ETH was maybe thinking that a combination of Casemiro/Eriksen/Bruno would control midfield but, Case has been really timid since he has been back and all season he does this dawdle bit on the ball and gets it nicked and in Eriksen, even before his injury, unless it's a game we are controlling well, he can't keep up with the defensive side of the game.

For the most part he has performed well when called upon, so not sure why he has fallen so far down the pecking order.

Think Fred needs to start against Spurs - it's a must win for them and they will be at it, so let Fred help disrupt and press, let Eriksen come on once they are a little more tired and pace would more suit him.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I admire him for being brave enough to go on the podcast and doing it in English. Such a lovely guy.

MADReaLJL

Improved the athleticism in the midfield when he came in, made it better for us. But he takes too many touches on the ball. If only he can control the ball better...

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The day he leaves the club will be a good day

spiriticon

That might be the first 0/10 performance which I genuinely don't think is an exaggeration. Staggering.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Can he feck off already? Came on and actively hurt our chances with his braindead sloppiness.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Wish to never see him play again. Some will act as if it is a one-off, genuinely one of the worst midfielders and players in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.