5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

the hea

Worst player on the pitch two games in a row now. He was one of the players I thought would flourish under ETH, looks like it will be the opposite.

Bwuk

He’s rubbish. His sheer inability to control a ball is mental.

::sonny::

I can’t believe how a professional player, a full grown man, can’t stop a single ball

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Stop lumping this guy with McTominay. He starts for Brazil, one of the best players in the league and superior to Kante.

lex talionis

Let it not be forgotten that José gave us Fred.

And Lukaku and Sanchez and Lindelof.

NZT-One

Surprised at the criticism. Obviously he was terrible in the first game, but thought he was one of the best of a bad bunch in the first half of this match (obviously that isn't saying much though!). Won the ball back plenty and kept the ball moving well most of the time. Felt like he was taken off just to get the extra height in the team.
I agree. Don't know if people are actually watching the match or if they direct their criticism based on ticker news. Eriksen was meant to be the deepest player today, he struggled and was attacked by Brentford so he never could take some control. Fred was meant to provide legs and energy, which he did. Was the only one who matched Brentfords intensity to some degree. Don't get why it was him again who needed to go, thought Bruno didn't offer anything, why not go, when we are already down, towards a double pivot of McFred with Eriksen in front of them. It isn't great but lets face it, no combination is these days and at least McFred provide some energy and steel.

We weren't better in 2nd half, but at least we had some height and physicality on the pitch. More possession was probably more down to Brentford taking the foot of the gas. And why wouldn't they, 4 goals up at home after 45 minutes.

CloneMC16

I think he only got subbed, because ETH wanted some more height in the team. Two of our shortest players got subbed (Fred and Martinez) for McTominay and Varane. I don't think it's because he was the worst player on the pitch like last week.

Still, he was nowhere near where he needed to be on the first goal. De Gea obviously let in a goal he should stop, but Fred had left his man free to run at our defence and shoot. This shouldn't happen.

Kingofwinners

What are the Fred apologists watching? He runs a lot, great. Half the time he is running out of position, he can’t hold a ball up, he is uncomfortable receiving the ball under pressure and his passing and shooting are shocking. He has been a complete liability for over a year. To build any confidence within the team they need to have some confidence in what their team mates will do next so they can make the right runs etc. Fred will have 3 or 4 unpredictable terrible mistakes per game and it just undermines everything. I would rather play with 10 men than have him in the team.

Marwood

His movement on the first goal is just so badly at odds with the role he's supposed to be playing.

A No.6 making runs past the striker. It's unheard of. Crazy stuff.

ti vu

His movement on the first goal is just so badly at odds with the role he's supposed to be playing.

He's not no.6 by trade, that's why his instinct is to abandon that area. Lack the understanding, and discipline for that role. There is a reason he pretty much failed every time he got to play no.6 role.

Bobski

That was exactly the same run was McTominay was making last week in that role and what we saw from the higher midfielder all pre season. It has been striking how high and detached from their partner the second midfielder has been under Ten Hag. Something he is going to have to think about because when it breaks down there is no support or cover.

Redlyn

Yeah he's not a DM. He doesn't know how to sit and block space. He chases people and balls. We might as well play Bruno as a 6 also if we are going to lose matic and not bother to sign a DM.

Marwood

He's not no.6 by trade, that's why his instinct is to abandon that area. Lack the understanding, and discipline for that role. There is a reason he pretty much failed every time he got to play no.6 role.
Agree its not his natural position and to be fair yesterday he was more of an 8.

But you'd expect any midfielder to have the common sense there to just hold. What does he think Ronaldo can do in that situation.

A good attitude but he's just another player that lacks a brain.

SirScholes

Feel the same, he’s the only one with any real fight in midfield or the team. It just seemed like a mistake to take him off as he was at least trying to get to people getting on the ball and trying to give players other options.

By no means was he good today, but certainly better than some that got a full 90 and probably if ETH had made better choices been useful for the 90.
Ah here we go, the not as bad as some

mate Brentford bullied him and he was/is useless
Just being slightly less useless than others is no defence

Andersons Dietician

Ah here we go, the not as bad as some

mate Brentford bullied him and he was/is useless
Just being slightly less useless than others is no defence
Slightly less useless is better than useless which a few of the starting 11 are. Where we are and what we have at our disposal in he team we need people that will at least show for a pass and work for the others. If the other 9 outfielders did the same we’d probably be slighlty less useless than we are right now which is a positive step in the right direction.

SirScholes

Slightly less useless is better than useless which a few of the starting 11 are. Where we are and what we have at our disposal in he team we need people that will at least show for a pass and work for the others. If the other 9 outfielders did the same we’d probably be slighlty less useless than we are right now which is a positive step in the right direction.
This is the mentality that has us where we are though
There is only one question, is he good enough for a team wanting to win the league? Top 4? Top6?
The answer is no

Lost bear

People appear to see what they expect to see. True, Fred didn't have a great game yesterday (clearly no one did) but he is a good player. He makes a great scapegoat, though.

big_jeffstar

People appear to see what they expect to see. True, Fred didn't have a great game yesterday (clearly no one did) but he is a good player. He makes a great scapegoat, though.
Mate.. Troy Deeney gave an interview a while ago and said that part of the Watford gameplan everytime we played them was to target Fred because he'd single handedly give them opportunities to score.. good players can't be targeted like that, . nevermind midfielders playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.. i swear, the levels of standards that are accepted from United fans has dropped to such a low level..

Lost bear

Mate.. Troy Deeney gave an interview a while ago and said that part of the Watford gameplan everytime we played them was to target Fred because he'd single handedly give them opportunities to score.. good players can't be targeted like that, . nevermind midfielders playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.. i swear, the levels of standards that are accepted from United fans has dropped to such a low level..
The great Troy Deeney.

Andersons Dietician

This is the mentality that has us where we are though
There is only one question, is he good enough for a team wanting to win the league? Top 4? Top6?
The answer is no
Lets look at it this way. We are a country mile away from getting anywhere near the league and given its unlikely we could buy 11 players of the quality required to win the league in one window is it not a better idea to keep one of the actual players that actually gives a damn and isn’t as bad as many make out.

I’d much rather bin McT Bruno, Maguire and the like before I got rid of Fred.

Frank White

Lets look at it this way. We are a country mile away from getting anywhere near the league and given its unlikely we could buy 11 players of the quality required to win the league in one window is it not a better idea to keep one of the actual players that actually gives a damn and isn’t as bad as many make out.

Genuine question what is he actually good at other than normally gifting the opposition at least 2 or 3 chances a game from colossal feck ups?

Longshanks

He was poor at no 6 last week and this week he was poor at no 8. Plenty of energy and running but compleatly bullied by brentfords physicality. Not helped by the fact he had eriksen at 6 behind him and martinez at cb meaning he really had no help from anyone to stop the bullying.

No 8 is his best posistion and he may have a use there as a squad player but he may get bullied way to easily and has so many basic mistakes in him its unbelievable.

Andersons Dietician

Genuine question what is he actually good at other than normally gifting the opposition at least 2 or 3 chances a game from colossal feck ups?
Watch him. Gets at people, closes down, makes space and offers angles for passes. Honestly if the others did those simple things we’d be in a much better position.

He also actually carries the ball and last season found a back for scoring goals. Our team is terrible. It’s hard to even call it a team. I’m by no means saying he is irreplaceable or top drawer but given the state we are in he is someone I would keep before many of the others.

Ace

Agreed that he does have a status as a scapegoat— he’s has good games, but he’s also has had as many shocking performances as probably anyone in this current team and continues to retain his spot in the team every week under now his fourth different manager.

But to consider him as “one of the best players in the league” is beyond hilarious.

bugmat

He wasn't playing the 6 - Eriksen was. Do people really still just come on here to point score on the internet vs watchin the match? I guess it's all that is left for some people now.

In the same way martinez wasn't or worst defender (tie between Shaw & Maguire) Fred wasn't our worst midfielder (that was Bruno or McT). Agree with @NZT-One - he and Martinez were taken off because we tried to combat their long balls with height. McTominay was comfortably worse than Fred & Eriksen in his sub appearance he has height and that meant Brentford couldn't play the same way again.

He is no way "best player sin the league" level, and we can improve on him and every Cm we have, but he also isn't the crap made out here when people want a target. He was as bad in the #6 position vs BHA as Eriksen was yesterday vs Brentford - we need a player who knows the role vs pigeonholing people.

bugmat

Because like last game he was played out of position as a DM vs Watford (twice btw not every time). You can do the same to McT and even Eriksen as we've seen. If you aren't a 6 playing in a settled team that knows what it's doing, any kind of serious pressing will force mistakes.

bugmat

Agree its not his natural position and to be fair yesterday he was more of an 8.

But you'd expect any midfielder to have the common sense there to just hold. What does he think Ronaldo can do in that situation.

A good attitude but he's just another player that lacks a brain.
Ronaldo got away form the cirticism here - he should have tried to head the ball on, not chest trap and try to take it down. Those 3 touches trying to keep the ball allowed 2 brentford players to crowd and dispossess him. As a team we dont play with a high IQ.

SirScholes

Madness he belongs in that group he is weak can’t pass or shoot

SirScholes

He’s really not
Other than running around what is he good at?

Andersons Dietician

Madness he belongs in that group he is weak can’t pass or shoot
Maybe he does but is he,

A better passer than Bruno and McT? Yes
Does he work harder than Bruno and McT? Yes
Does he make more offers for passes than Bruno and McT? Yes
Hes at least stronger than Bruno

There is a case for him being our best midfielder which again does show how poor we really are that that is even a possibility

SirScholes

Maybe he does but is he,

A better passer than Bruno and McT? Yes
Does he work harder than Bruno and McT? Yes
Does he make more offers for passes than Bruno and McT? Yes
Hes at least stronger than Bruno

There is a case for him being our best midfielder which again does show how poor we really are that that is even a possibility
Better passer? No
Offer for passes more than Mctom is not a worthy scale
Neither is being stronger than Bruno when you’re a CM

Mike Smalling

For some reason I have a bit more time for Fred than a lot of the other players like McTominay, Maguire, Dalot, Rashford, etc. I feel like there is a somewhat competent footballer in there somewhere, that we could use if his role and the tactics were right. He seems to be let down by his concentration more than anything else, which is perhaps something that could be worked on.

It could also just be because he seems likable, and because we don't ever hear from him in interviews :lol:

Marwood

He wasn't playing the 6 - Eriksen was. Do people really still just come on here to point score on the internet vs watchin the match? I guess it's all that is left for some people now.

In the same way martinez wasn't or worst defender (tie between Shaw & Maguire) Fred wasn't our worst midfielder (that was Bruno or McT). Agree with @NZT-One - he and Martinez were taken off because we tried to combat their long balls with height. McTominay was comfortably worse than Fred & Eriksen in his sub appearance he has height and that meant Brentford couldn't play the same way again.

He is no way "best player sin the league" level, and we can improve on him and every Cm we have, but he also isn't the crap made out here when people want a target. He was as bad in the #6 position vs BHA as Eriksen was yesterday vs Brentford - we need a player who knows the role vs pigeonholing people.
I said in another post afterwards "to be fair he wasn't the No.6 today"

Haven't a clue what you mean by point scoring.

My point was that its crazy to bomb past Ronaldo in that situation. Doesn't matter if he was a 6 or an 8 same applies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this question, but the potential sale of Garner makes me wonder what the long term plan for Fred is.

He's got two years left on his existing contract, right? So, at some stage in the near future, Man Utd has to decide whether we want to keep him or start making plans to shift him.

Knowing United, its likely we let things run right down to the last minute without making any decision. Still, if the team is going to evolve, the club should be making a call on his future now.

As much as I think Fred has his uses, my view is he's not good enough for where we want to go and we should be looking to sell (at a sensible price) over the next year.

Hughes35

The worst thing about Fred is his positioning and how he over commits, it's absolutely awful.

There was 3 or 4 times on Friday we lost the ball and he was MILES out of position up the pitch. When you're the holding CDM and your team is under pressure that's totally unacceptable.

He'd be in the first batch out the door if I had my way, along with Rashford, Fernandes, Shaw, Dalot and AWB.

NZT-One

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this question, but the potential sale of Garner makes me wonder what the long term plan for Fred is.

He's got two years left on his existing contract, right? So, at some stage in the near future, Man Utd has to decide whether we want to keep him or start making plans to shift him.

Knowing United, its likely we let things run right down to the last minute without making any decision. Still, if the team is going to evolve, the club should be making a call on his future now.

As much as I think Fred has his uses, my view is he's not good enough for where we want to go and we should be looking to sell (at a sensible price) over the next year.
Yeah good thinking. There are quite a few difficult decisions to make in the next year or two. On top of the challenges that are apparent right now. Fred is on 120k per week. I'd say that is alright. I know he isn't very popular around the fans, I get it but as long as we haven't been able to create a working midfield without him, it wouldn't be the best idea to get rid of him. I have some hope, that ETH will create some sort of team structure, that makes better use of Fred. But I wouldn't try to keep him at all cost. It has to be reasonable, I think, his attitude is right, maybe one of the better ones around these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.