French Ligue 1 - 2014/15

Annahnomoss

Yeah you're probably right, but I find it pretty impressive they've managed to not look ridiculous in CL already so quickly after their 'project' started, I mean they've looked much better than City for example who do have direct competitors in the league. That is kind of a double edged sword I'd say, PSG usually have a lot of time to prepare their CL games due to a less demanding league.
I love watching them and they are very impressive in that regard indeed. I am more from the perspective that even if they did great they could have done even better with a better situation in this regard.

Like said they went out the CL because their star player got injured as they beat Chelsea comfortably the first leg and the year before they could easily have gone through against Barcelona.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
PSG-Evian just started. Cavani starting up front, Marquinhos/Luiz in defense and Aurier making his first start.

Last edited:

Moonred

Cavani used to be much more clinical for Napoli. Seems to be lacking that cutting edge that made him terrorise serie a.

Annahnomoss

Pastore, has started this season really impressive. It seems like Ancelotti's Di Maria role has spread a bit. The theory behind it is great as you have a LB and a left winger supported out wide by another left central midfielder who is comfortable as a left winger as well.

Hard to handle the numerical advantage it means especially as Di Maria/Pastore are comfortable out right and centrally as well so it is unpredictable.

Zlatan with 5 goals in three matches as well and Moura has broken in to the first team ahead of Lavezzi finally it seems. Cavani with 2 goals in 3 matches as a left winger is looking good as well but Zlatan has to step it up with the assists to replicate his amazing last year.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
They've been great so far from the snippets I've seen and what my OM supporting friend told me, however the risk is that they won't be able to sustain it over a long period of time: the efforts demanded from the players are huge and Bielsa doesn't really rotate his players that much.

Devil may care

Pastore, has started this season really impressive. It seems like Ancelotti's Di Maria role has spread a bit. The theory behind it is great as you have a LB and a left winger supported out wide by another left central midfielder who is comfortable as a left winger as well.

Hard to handle the numerical advantage it means especially as Di Maria/Pastore are comfortable out right and centrally as well so it is unpredictable.
Funnily enough I was just wondering today how former Caf muppet fav Pastore was doing at PSG, he seemed to do quite well in his first 2 seasons but I don't recall hearing much about him last season. Interesting that he's playing that hybrid Di Maria role as I don't recall him playing as a winger at any point before.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They've been great so far from the snippets I've seen and what my OM supporting friend told me, however the risk is that they won't be able to sustain it over a long period of time: the efforts demanded from the players are huge and Bielsa doesn't really rotate his players that much.
Last minute winner against Caen today. They're playing very good football, Thauvin wasn't at the races today but they dragged out a win. Good signs. 5 points clear of 2nd place.

Kostur

海尔的老板
PSG draw 1-1 with Monaco, 6th draw this season, Marseille increase their advantage. Cavani is fecking awful.

Take that plastics :lol:

Santos J

Blanc can't have long left if things don't change quickly, I know they're unbeaten but fecking hell they've been shite. Hopefully Marseille keep up their form.

Annahnomoss

Funnily enough I was just wondering today how former Caf muppet fav Pastore was doing at PSG, he seemed to do quite well in his first 2 seasons but I don't recall hearing much about him last season. Interesting that he's playing that hybrid Di Maria role as I don't recall him playing as a winger at any point before.
Sorry for answering late. Yeah he started off well in his first two seasons like you said and then I assume(from Cavani's statements) Ancelotti wanted Cavani and Zlatan to play up front together. So the signing of Cavani meant Pastore's chances instantly fell down.

Then Blanc joined and he switched to a formation without an attacking midfielder - another huge blow for Pastore - basically couldn't get any worse than that. So he had to adjust to either compete with the wingers out wide(Cavani had one of those positions secure no matter what, so Lavezzi and Moura were the ones he had to fight with for the left wing position.)

I think he positively surprised most people by being able to play as a central midfielder now all of a sudden. I didn't expect it at all and he deserve some accolades for taking that hard route and fighting his way back instead of seeking a way out or not adapting.

We talk a lot about players being pushed down in ranks or formation changes leaving them without an ideal position and not a lot of the players find a way to fight their way in to the eleven again like Di Maria.

Hopefully Pastore can keep it up.

Devil may care

Sorry for answering late. Yeah he started off well in his first two seasons like you said and then I assume(from Cavani's statements) Ancelotti wanted Cavani and Zlatan to play up front together. So the signing of Cavani meant Pastore's chances instantly fell down.

Then Blanc joined and he switched to a formation without an attacking midfielder - another huge blow for Pastore - basically couldn't get any worse than that. So he had to adjust to either compete with the wingers out wide(Cavani had one of those positions secure no matter what, so Lavezzi and Moura were the ones he had to fight with for the left wing position.)

I think he positively surprised most people by being able to play as a central midfielder now all of a sudden. I didn't expect it at all and he deserve some accolades for taking that hard route and fighting his way back instead of seeking a way out or not adapting.

We talk a lot about players being pushed down in ranks or formation changes leaving them without an ideal position and not a lot of the players find a way to fight their way in to the eleven again like Di Maria.

Hopefully Pastore can keep it up.
I watched the PSG/Monaco game last night and I thought Pastore was superb, definitely the stand out once Verratti went off. It was the kind of performance that had all us United muppets wanting him when he was at Palermo, some of his skills on the ball are a joy to watch.

It must be difficult when your role is not defined and you are seeing a change in boss so often, not to mention the price tag he came with adding pressure, full credit to him for persevering and getting himself back into the starting line-up. Do you think he will extend his contract with PSG?

Annahnomoss

I watched the PSG/Monaco game last night and I thought Pastore was superb, definitely the stand out once Verratti went off. It was the kind of performance that had all us United muppets wanting him when he was at Palermo, some of his skills on the ball are a joy to watch.

It must be difficult when your role is not defined and you are seeing a change in boss so often, not to mention the price tag he came with adding pressure, full credit to him for persevering and getting himself back into the starting line-up. Do you think he will extend his contract with PSG?
He is really good, even when played out wide, unfortunately the CAM position is taken by better or equally talented players as him in all the top clubs. He's in a difficult position considering Zlatan is 33, and remarkably still the second best false 9 in the world after Messi - and he's one of the about top 5 players in the world. So far this season he seems to be keeping up still, but when Zlatan retires then Cavani will take over who isn't a false 9 at all - which is why PSG becomes 5 times worse when Cavani fills in for Zlatan.

Then he'll have a great chance to become the teams AM if the manager opts to replace the playmaking of Zlatan with an AM, it is probably his best shot to play in his favorite position for a top club. Apart from that I see no reason he would leave PSG right now as he just started playing in this new role, which I doubt people are willing to pay big bucks on until it is tested against top sides and over the course of at least one season.

Unfortunately for him he didn't get to continue in that role due to Zlatan's injury - so we'll have to see just how much he can grow in to the role.

I wouldn't want him at United though, unless it was for a cheap price in which case he'd be able to be a really solid back up as he could do a job in Di Maria's, Herrera's and even Blind's job and Mata's job. But that is what I don't really rate about him though yet, he's playing it so safe and smooth when he's a central midfielder. His driving runs turns in to jogs and he always looks to pull the Silva of holding it until the opponent closes in - then he releases it. Doesn't sound too bad, which it isn't but when it is done in the middle of the pitch it doesn't really lead to anything compared to if he had tried to sometimes also explode past the opponent.

So right now he's a good back up option for most top teams, but I can't see him leaving PSG for an upgrade considering he's in the starting eleven now andthey just beat Barcelona(without Zlatan) - who they went out against 2 years ago in the quarter finals after a 3-3 draw on away goals. Last year they went out after injuring the for them irreplaceable Zlatan after a strong 3-1 victory against Chelsea in the first leg.

PSG could have just as well been in the semi finals two years in a row now, so I think he's very happy just being apart of that team.

Devil may care

He is really good, even when played out wide, unfortunately the CAM position is taken by better or equally talented players as him in all the top clubs. He's in a difficult position considering Zlatan is 33, and remarkably still the second best false 9 in the world after Messi - and he's one of the about top 5 players in the world. So far this season he seems to be keeping up still, but when Zlatan retires then Cavani will take over who isn't a false 9 at all - which is why PSG becomes 5 times worse when Cavani fills in for Zlatan.

Then he'll have a great chance to become the teams AM if the manager opts to replace the playmaking of Zlatan with an AM, it is probably his best shot to play in his favorite position for a top club. Apart from that I see no reason he would leave PSG right now as he just started playing in this new role, which I doubt people are willing to pay big bucks on until it is tested against top sides and over the course of at least one season.

Unfortunately for him he didn't get to continue in that role due to Zlatan's injury - so we'll have to see just how much he can grow in to the role.

I wouldn't want him at United though, unless it was for a cheap price in which case he'd be able to be a really solid back up as he could do a job in Di Maria's, Herrera's and even Blind's job and Mata's job. But that is what I don't really rate about him though yet, he's playing it so safe and smooth when he's a central midfielder. His driving runs turns in to jogs and he always looks to pull the Silva of holding it until the opponent closes in - then he releases it. Doesn't sound too bad, which it isn't but when it is done in the middle of the pitch it doesn't really lead to anything compared to if he had tried to sometimes also explode past the opponent.

So right now he's a good back up option for most top teams, but I can't see him leaving PSG for an upgrade considering he's in the starting eleven now andthey just beat Barcelona(without Zlatan) - who they went out against 2 years ago in the quarter finals after a 3-3 draw on away goals. Last year they went out after injuring the for them irreplaceable Zlatan after a strong 3-1 victory against Chelsea in the first leg.

PSG could have just as well been in the semi finals two years in a row now, so I think he's very happy just being apart of that team.
Some great points mate, things might just be about to open up even more for Pastore at PSG if he can get some consistency and put in regular performances like the one against Monaco, and like you say the role he wants to play is pretty much already taken at most opf the clubs he'd probably consider a transfer to.

I think it will be more difficult for him to establish a spot in the National team as the system built around Messi takes all the other attacking players somewhat out of position and removes the need for a traditional #10, so he'd be competing with Di Maria for the AM role.

Annahnomoss

Some great points mate, things might just be about to open up even more for Pastore at PSG if he can get some consistency and put in regular performances like the one against Monaco, and like you say the role he wants to play is pretty much already taken at most opf the clubs he'd probably consider a transfer to.

I think it will be more difficult for him to establish a spot in the National team as the system built around Messi takes all the other attacking players somewhat out of position and removes the need for a traditional #10, so he'd be competing with Di Maria for the AM role.
Well, his main competitor is Lavezzi(both in the "width providing striker role" or as a winger) in the Argentinian national team as well as in PSG and he's had a nightmare start to the season. He's just started two games and in the second he went out after 10 minutes or something to an injury which is why Moura is now the first choice together with Cavani as wingers.

If Lavezzi continues to struggle with game time and Di Maria is played as a central midfielder for us then Pastore is probably the best option on the other side - with Mascherano as the holding midfielder. They have had big problems for a while having to play Gago, who's just not the quality Argentina should be looking for in a midfield position - so it'd be a good deal for them.

It would also mean they could play a striker instead of Lavezzi/a winger up front considering the quality of their strikers. Argentina has similar issues as United, so if Rojo, Pastore and Di Maria does well that'd kind of push them towards using a similar solution. Of course, predicting football future is impossible but just for discussion sake I think Pastore may have a shot at least.

---Aguero---------Higuain
------------Messi
---Di Maria--------Pastore---
Rojo----Mascherano----Zabaleta
----Garay---------Demichelis

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Cavani will leave PSG before Zlatan retires from there.

Devil may care

Well, his main competitor is Lavezzi(both in the "width providing striker role" or as a winger) in the Argentinian national team as well as in PSG and he's had a nightmare start to the season. He's just started two games and in the second he went out after 10 minutes or something to an injury which is why Moura is now the first choice together with Cavani as wingers.

If Lavezzi continues to struggle with game time and Di Maria is played as a central midfielder for us then Pastore is probably the best option on the other side - with Mascherano as the holding midfielder. They have had big problems for a while having to play Gago, who's just not the quality Argentina should be looking for in a midfield position - so it'd be a good deal for them.

It would also mean they could play a striker instead of Lavezzi/a winger up front considering the quality of their strikers. Argentina has similar issues as United, so if Rojo, Pastore and Di Maria does well that'd kind of push them towards using a similar solution. Of course, predicting football future is impossible but just for discussion sake I think Pastore may have a shot at least.

---Aguero---------Higuain
------------Messi
---Di Maria--------Pastore---
Rojo----Mascherano----Zabaleta
----Garay---------Demichelis
That would be a very attacking formation but I am not sure there's enough tracking back in those players to make it work. Looking at the match on Saturday and the debut of Pereyra I think Argentina will remain playing with a solid 2 at the base of their midfield with one AM, so for Pastore to get in they'd need to move Di Maria to the wing, unless Pastrore could operate successfully as a false winger of sorts?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

What the...? :houllier:
I have this on, but wasn't particularly watching. Everytime I looked up someone was being sent off.:lol: They have taken Cabaye off as he went over for the second Lens red card, so he isn't very popular with the locals at this minute. Cavani made a gun gesture after he scored his penalty, so got booked, then I am not sure if the 2nd yellow was for saying something or grabbing the ref. This ref is going to be the star of the game.

Devil may care

The ref lost complete control of the game and ruined it, which was a shame as the first half was good.

Why was this match at the Stade de France???
Because Lens ground is being renovated or something and for the big matches with PSG, Marseille and Lile they are being allowed to use it.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
8 wins in a row for Marseille now. Gignac with 10 goals in 10 games.

On a different note, I think the French FA should really consider reducing the number of teams in the league if they want to increase the quality.

DannyDash

Really don't like the French league in general but great to see Marseille back to where they belong, the best fans who create a brilliant atmosphere and don't throw the cash around like their competitors.

No europe for them this season, I really feel that Bielsa might take them to the title.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Really don't like the French league in general but great to see Marseille back to where they belong, the best fans who create a brilliant atmosphere and don't throw the cash around like their competitors.

No europe for them this season, I really feel that Bielsa might take them to the title.
They are not the best fans at all,

They abuse their own players at the first occasion, and are only loud (positively) when they are winning. And i won't even talk about the blackmailing used by the fans club in order to control the distribution of the season tickets.

Fans of clubs like Lens, Saint-Etienne, Nantes, Nice( sometimes borderline) or Paris (before the banning) are much better fans.

DannyDash

They are not the best fans at all,

They abuse their own players at the first occasion, and are only loud (positively) when they are winning. And i won't even talk about the blackmailing used by the fans club in order to control the distribution of the season tickets.

Fans of clubs like Lens, Saint-Etienne, Nantes, Nice( sometimes borderline) or Paris (before the banning) are much better fans.
Yeah you'll know more than me, I just meant in terms of creating noise, the Velodrome always seems to be rocking but in terms of fans yeah I'd agree that Lens and Saint-Etienne have great backers too.