g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Frenkie de Jong| Off to Barca - Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Utd

Why would he want to join a mid-table club over a perennial CL contender? :p
With arguably a better squad, higher likelihood of domestic success and their probably bung him so much cash into his pockets he'll be walking out like John Wayne.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
This woman has a hidden message for the football planet

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
De Ligt and de De Jong. Are they really that good? Or is it just some good huge PR? I watched them only few times and i don't understand what is all the fuss?

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
De Ligt and de De Jong. are they really that good? Or is it just some good huge PR? I watched them only few times and i don't understand what is all the fuss?
De Ligt is an absolute certainty but De Jong hasn't impressed me yet.

Mylock

We should go for both De Ligt and de De Jong. Both look future stars.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
City have pushed the "Pep or money" narrative again.
They’re outrageously precious. All whilst their ‘Elite Development Squad’ is haemorrhaging youth players. :lol:

Javi

The first minute has some nice balls but also some rather meh ones, but they share the same lofted technique he hits them with. Actually my biggest pet peeve of his is the weird half high balls of his in positions exactly like 1:15. At 2:38 to 3:01 there's another few examples of the type of passes I was originally referring to. Keep in mind that these are the good ones, considering it's a highlights video. It's the style of his long passes that I take issues with, they lack a crispness (zuiverheid). two more good examples at 5:40. Again at 11:20 and 11:35, 12:43
I see what you mean. It's false movement imo, instead of swinging the leg through, he kind of hacks it into the ground. It's not wrong per se for some situations, but typically they lack drive/height.

Member 93275

The English used to snub Zlatan for years because they watched a match and he didn't score and impress #instantexperts

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The English used to snub Zlatan for years because they watched a match and he didn't score and impress #instantexperts
This is very true.

This forum also didn’t rate Francesco Totti for a very long time, until he was nearly done. Although I think that’s more to do with the fact that he operated within a 10 mile radius of where Paul Scholes used to play, so everyone else was a little downgraded.

L1nk

Don't need him anyway, glad we didn't waste money, McTominay has more potential

Member 93275

It was previously rumored that Ajax was interested in a partial swap deal with Man City involving Gundogan, who refused.

It was probably fake news, Ajax is holding out for a swap deal with McTominay.

izec

De Ligt and de De Jong. Are they really that good? Or is it just some good huge PR? I watched them only few times and i don't understand what is all the fuss?
Yeah, both will be one of the best in their respective positions if they dont have injury issues, no doubt. Koeman said a similar thing for De Ligt a few days ago

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yeah, both will be one of the best in their respective positions if they dont have injury issues, no doubt. Koeman said a similar thing for De Ligt a few days ago
So a Dutch guy said a couple of Dutch players will be the best at their positions? Okay.

I'm sure they'll be solid players, but nothing is set in stone at that age. Too many examples in the past where it doesn't work out like everyone would like to. However, the hype is all it takes for ridiculous transfer fees, which they will both garner soon enough.

Member 93275

So a Dutch guy said a couple of Dutch players will be the best at their positions? Okay.

I'm sure they'll be solid players, but nothing is set in stone at that age. Too many examples in the past where it doesn't work out like everyone would like to. However, the hype is all it takes for ridiculous transfer fees, which they will both garner soon enough.
This is one of those generic boilerplate arguments with stuff like "nothing is set in stone at that age", without analyzing the actual players. Could have been used to argue Mbappé was a shit transfer the previous year without actually watching him.

Aloysius's Back 3

As a Milan fan - Zlatan was my favourite player during that period where English fans used to underate him.

What happened after that one goal where he bycicle kicked against England? They started to overate him instead. I couldn't stand hearing Zlatan's name after that point.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
This is one of those generic boilerplate arguments with stuff like "nothing is set in stone at that age", without analyzing the actual players. Could have been used to argue Mbappé was a shit transfer the previous year without actually watching him.
Well Mbappe was an insane transfer no matter what for only 6 months of professional football, it's a bit of an anomaly, but he at least showed both on the domestic and European front (not to mention the world cup, but that came after the transfer). It's a huge gamble that paid off and it's still far from set in stone that he will live up to his hype.

AshleyDevil

I'd definitely buy De Jong. He's a very good player and a long term replacement for Matic! I think he will end up at Barcelona, City or Real Madrid but I'd love him to come to Manchester United. He's the type of player we need to start buying if we want to challenge for Premier League and Champions League again.

Last edited:

Kidders

There is nothing to suggest we are remotely linked to the player, but of course we should show an interest, however I think he is destined for a European club who dominate possession......probably PSG

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Well Mbappe was an insane transfer no matter what for only 6 months of professional football, it's a bit of an anomaly, but he at least showed both on the domestic and European front (not to mention the world cup, but that came after the transfer). It's a huge gamble that paid off and it's still far from set in stone that he will live up to his hype.
Far be it from me to defend Ajax, but both De Jong and De Ligt have shown in the CL and playing for the national team that they have real potential.

Sergio Biscuits

De Ligt is an absolute certainty but De Jong hasn't impressed me yet.
A long way to go, but every single time I've seen De Jong live he has an incredible first touch, awareness, and ability to find a teammate while neutralising the opposition and soaking up the pressure. He's definitely got something special and is an absolute pleasure to watch. Just hope he doesn't go to City or Pool and I'll gladly follow his career.

De Ligt, on the other hand, is a real beast of a centreback and will hopefully be a star.

MaCo

Supports
AFC Ajax, FC Barcelona
Far be it from me to defend Ajax, but both De Jong and De Ligt have shown in the CL and playing for the national team that they have real potential.
You made me laugh, but I cannot deny what you are saying.

stepic

he will live up to the hype. this reminds me of the people who were talking about Kane after his first breakthrough season, 'its only been one season, lets see if he can do it again...'. some players you just know. mbappe will be the best player in the world, i think it will only take injury for that to not happen.

Grande

You should listen to me instead. I know everything about everything and nothing about anything.

And I say Dutch players will do well for Man Utd.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

right... because we haven't missed any good players in the past five years...
I think we're smart enough to not spend 75M on an Eredivisie player after Memphis failed here and Blind scored a hat trick after going back there.
Mason Mount was incredible there last year and he's bang average in the Championship

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think we're smart enough to not spend 75M on an Eredivisie player after Memphis failed here and Blind scored a hat trick after going back there.
Mason Mount was incredible there last year and he's bang average in the Championship
Wot, Mason Mount incredible? Either incredible doesnt mean what it used to or your standards are questionable.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Wot, Mason Mount incredible? Either incredible doesnt mean what it used to or your standards are questionable.
Point still stands though - its extremely risky. (I get every transfer is a risk but i think scouts are not yet convinced that he will make that 75m worth unless you have unlimited amount of money like PSG or City.)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Point still stands though - its extremely risky. (I get every transfer is a risk but i think scouts are not yet convinced that he will make that 75m worth unless you have unlimited amount of money like PSG or City.)
I agree on that. I'm quite convinced De Ligt will be top class. Frenkie, I hope so and he's certainly talented, but talent alone isnt enough. Interesting to see where he ends up.

Status
Not open for further replies.