Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Have a feeling either Ginger or Snow will die in the upcoming battle. More likely that it will be Ginger.
Don't think that Snow will die anyway soon - he is the main black horse of the show as he certainly has qualities of a true leader, he is the "contender" for the Iron Throne. I don't think that the Night's Watch would be around after Sunday - they will probably be beaten by wildlings and Lord Snow will try to free the North of Bolton's and the wildlings.
The main idea of the show is the competing, active or passive, for the Iron Throne - you have Lannisters, you have Stannis (I don't know where he is on the map), you have dragons on the East and you need to have a "threat", even a formal one, on the North and Bolton's are not up to it.

While I was typing I started thinking that this could as well be Mans Raider but I don't think so, he would be a Northern Chaos and Snow would be Cosmos.

Ginger can die very easily.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Don't think that Snow will die anyway soon - he is the main black horse of the show as he certainly has qualities of a true leader, he is the "contender" for the Iron Throne. I don't think that the Night's Watch would be around after Sunday - they will probably be beaten by wildlings and Lord Snow will try to free the North of Bolton's and the wildlings.
The main idea of the show is the competing, active or passive, for the Iron Throne - you have Lannisters, you have Stannis (I don't know where he is on the map), you have dragons on the East and you need to have a "threat", even a formal one, on the North and Bolton's are not up to it.

While I was typing I started thinking that this could as well be Mans Raider but I don't think so, he would be a Northern Chaos and Snow would be Cosmos.

Ginger can die very easily.
I still think Stannis will show up at the wall (as was his dramatic Season 3 ending suggests). He's got an army now, he could turn up at the wall, fight back the Wildlings and rally the North around him. That's what I think will happen with Stannis' storyline anyway. The question is whether he will have enough to fight back both the Wildlings, then make an attack on Boltons forces. But Bolton has a lot of enemies at present and if Stannis could get them on his side, he could yet be a very powerful player.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'm convinced Tywin is dying at some point soon, his character seems strangely off the boil at the moment. I'm still torn with if I think Jamie will rescue Tyrion, it just seems too obvious. Varys is still about though not seen, but then he didn't help Ned :(

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
This the fourth shock event in GOT TV history. The first one rightfully went against conventional TV storylines since the situation Ned Stark was in, most people generally do die and generally deux-ex-machina is used to save the hero. It also drove the plot with a war kicking off and all.
The red wedding, again was culmination of that war with Robb Stark essentially at a dead end and it serves as a end of a chapter of war between Lannisters and Starks. Tough to judge the purple wedding right now, the only clear consequences of that event are Tywin getting more control and Tyrion landing in trouble. I am struggling to see right now any good plot development out of the last death. If anything Oberyn was turning out to be an interesting player in the GOT world who should have been explored more

It all feeds into the overall theme of death coming to those who may have the noblest of intentions but lack killer instinct, I also think its harsh to judge the point of Oberyn death because that story-line feeds into Tyrion's situation and that situation has yet to reach its conclusion. The fact that the writer have been willing to keep that situation going for this long and give them the hope that must have been there when Oberyn had victory in his grasp is again to their credit, yes it would have been nice to see his development and I liked him as a character but GOT isn't short of interesting characters and will probably introduce more as time goes on. I am however really struggling to see how the writers can get stick for producing one the few shows I've seen lately with a genuine sense of suspense and an atmosphere of peril.

I continue watching mostly on the basis that I have no idea what the writers will either do or show next and its that which separates this from most ordinary shows as well as keeping it true to feudal history(where most of history victors were deeply unpleasant people).

Last edited:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It all feeds into the overall theme of death coming to those who may have the noblest of intentions but lack killer instinct, I also think its harsh to judge the point of Oberyn death because that storyline feeds into Tyrion's situation and that situation has yet to reach its conclusion. The fact that the writer have been willing to keep that situation going for this long and give them the hope that must have been there when Oberyn had victory in his grasp is again to their credit, yes it would have been nice to see his development and I liked him as a character but GOF isn't short of interesting characters and will probably introduce more as time goes on. I am however really struggling to see how the writers can get stick for producing one the few shows I've seen lately with a genuine sense of suspense and an atmosphere of peril.

I continue watching mostly on the basis that I have no idea what the writers will either do or show next and its that which separates this from most ordinary shows as well as keeping it true to feudal history(where most of the history victors were deeply unpleasant people).
I agree with this. I think things that grip you like Oberyn's death should be applauded.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I still think Stannis will show up at the wall (as was his dramatic Season 3 ending suggests). He's got an army now, he could turn up at the wall, fight back the Wildlings and rally the North around him. That's what I think will happen with Stannis' storyline anyway. The question is whether he will have enough to fight back both the Wildlings, then make an attack on Boltons forces. But Bolton has a lot of enemies at present and if Stannis could get them on his side, he could yet be a very powerful player.
That's very interesting. I think that it is too far for him - the Iron Bank is on the South, I think, but the time and distances aren't that important for the series in the different story lines. It would make a great plot twist though

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
This the fourth shock event in GOT TV history. The first one rightfully went against conventional TV storylines since the situation Ned Stark was in, most people generally do die and generally deux-ex-machina is used to save the hero. It also drove the plot with a war kicking off and all.
The red wedding, again was culmination of that war with Robb Stark essentially at a dead end and it serves as a end of a chapter of war between Lannisters and Starks. Tough to judge the purple wedding right now, the only clear consequences of that event are Tywin getting more control and Tyrion landing in trouble. I am struggling to see right now any good plot development out of the last death. If anything Oberyn was turning out to be an interesting player in the GOT world who should have been explored more

But as he pointed out much of the story line is pre-ordained by the "Things that shall not be named", so the point stands events in the show are not being done for TV shock value but following the story already set out by the author. No more shall be said by me for fear of troding on dangerous ground.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Firstly let me say I'm not a book reader, however in this thread its already been said that Oberyn has only a brief role only in books. So him dying in the show is already pre-ordained.

I don't think its shock value as there is a pattern to most of these death that actually serves a purpose for the show as a whole. If we were dealing with a conventional TV show where there isn't the prospect of death for any character at anytime then half of the audience wouldn't even be contemplating the fact that Tyrion might actually die because on the basis of conventional TV shows the popular characters rarely die. It it to RR Martin's credit that he has been so willing to let go of popular characters throughout the series. The prospect of death keeps viewers on the edge of their seats because there is a genuine feeling that nobody is 100% safe.

I also find the idea that its just shock value driving it as a little harsh, it is in keeping with feudal history that death can come at any time to all those who are anywhere other than in the highest most protected positions and even then in some cases that isn't enough to save some. I actually think the creators of the show don't get enough credit for creating such an edgy atmosphere where the viewers keep watching in hope rather than expectation that their favorite characters might survive.
I agree although the plot purpose of the deaths usually only becomes apparent afterwards unless you are a book reader I guess.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Obertan's death was all about the shock value(see shite Yank daytime soaps...). Next week we may discover that the Dragon woman can't act and her and her dragons are utterly pointless. And Wibbs, have a word with yourself...
About?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think Jamie will try to rescue Tyrion and end up getting killed himself, but giving enough time for Tyrion to escape. Tyrion will then be blamed for the death of his mother, brother and nephew.
I'm going with this.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's quite possible but
I just get the feeling that Jaime's story hasn't finished. The losing a hand thing and not being able to use a sword properly hasn't played out yet. Of course it could play out with it being the cause of his death in the next 2 episodes.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I agree although the plot purpose of the deaths usually only becomes apparent afterwards unless you are a book reader I guess.
Yep, I also think as well as that the atmosphere they are creating in the show is to the writers credit. Everybody in this thread (unless they are book readers) genuinely has no idea whether Tyrion will die. In most normal shows with a character that popular the viewer would probably have a 80/20% split over whether a main character will die with a lot less edge around the event. I currently feel like there is about a 60/40 split over whether Tyrion will die. That sense of unease is very hard to create on any show that relies on ratings.

There is also an underlying logic/philosophy to just about every major death on the show which is all a fan of the show should really ask for.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's quite possible but
I just get the feeling that Jaime's story hasn't finished. The losing a hand thing and not being able to use a sword properly hasn't played out yet. Of course it could play out with it being the cause of his death in the next 2 episodes.
It has played out though. If he still had his hand he would have fought for Tyrion. It also lead to the softening of his character and added the dynamic of Brienne which changed him a lot. It means that if he died now we would be sad.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
Just when I thought Tyrion had escaped the regicide allegations that dude starts bitching about his sister instead of finishing off the big motherfecker

my guess is my favourite midget will share a similar fate to this dude
http://www.myfamilysilver.com/blog_content/uploads/2012/04/images.jpg

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
He wasn't fighting for Tyrion but for his sister.
But Tyrion's fate was tied in the outcome of the match. The dwarf was bricking it after the skullcrushing finale. I wonder if the writers are fans of the Miz? Trial by combat. It's something that needs to be introduced in the 21st century.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Lannisters are going full retard to execute their smartest member of the family because of some forced allegation of poisoning Joffrey by emotional, useless wreck - Cersei.

I thought Tywin had more imagination in planning the future. In Jaime and Tyrion there's only hope for them... and they're both treated like beetles.

ManUtd43vr

I did not understand one thing about the last(8th) episode. Could somebody help me out please?

Sansa wore this particular dress and particular chain-locket after her talk with Lord Baelish. What is the significance of that? Is it someone's dress and locket?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Obertan's death was all about the shock value(see shite Yank daytime soaps...). Next week we may discover that the Dragon woman can't act and her and her dragons are utterly pointless. And Wibbs, have a word with yourself...
That doesn't make sense. The books were written way before the TV series was even planned.

Oberyn's a prince of Dorne. There has to be repercussions in being involved in the killing of a someone like him, trial by combat or not. I suspect the Lannisters will have another new enemy. Also, didn't Tywin want Dorne on his side when he put Oberyn in the council? Tyrion calling for a trial by combat really ruined his plans. Tyrion doesn't take the Black, so Jaime doesn't take over Casterley Rock. Oberyn's involvement means his death and as a result, means probably losing Dorne's support as well.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Lannisters are going full retard to execute their smartest member of the family because of some forced allegation of poisoning Joffrey by emotional, useless wreck - Cersei.

I thought Tywin had more imagination in planning the future. In Jaime and Tyrion there's only hope for them... and they're both treated like beetles.
To be fair they don't care how smart he is, he is a disgrace to them for two reasons - the fact his mother died giving birth to him and the fact he is a dwarf. Don't think they're concerned that he is dying - perhaps happy.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
I did not understand one thing about the last(8th) episode. Could somebody help me out please?

Sansa wore this particular dress and particular chain-locket after her talk with Lord Baelish. What is the significance of that? Is it someone's dress and locket?
Lady of the vale maybe?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever

I don't think there is any, but she's never worn black so I think they were trying to show her change of character after learning from Littlefinger how their world works.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
To be fair they don't care how smart he is, he is a disgrace to them for two reasons - the fact his mother died giving birth to him and the fact he is a dwarf. Don't think they're concerned that he is dying - perhaps happy.
That's true but they're provoking the karma too much. They have the biggest army of Westeros but Tywin is the only guy with a tactical clue about this upcoming war now while Jaime is treated like a subhuman because of a stupid hand... or perhaps lack of it.

They're simply running out of assets. Tyrion the tactician and philosopher is about to be beheaded, Littlefinger left and now preparing for massive counter attack and Stannis is gathering new pirate fleet with a fire witch as a cherry on top... not to mention Dany at some point may decide to join the slaughter someday.

Lannisters are truly fecked and they're under pressure more than Manchester United while Tywin still tolerates Cersei's ramblings about how Tyrion is evil and how Joffrey was her son and such wonderful king and all the bullshit...

Last edited: