Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Norris

the dragon ride date was beyond cringey
Extremely. Hollywood-esque and terrible writing, but at this point I am only focused on how it will pan out. I can in no way expect the writing to go back to the first few seasons.

freeurmind

weak willed
We need more of what we saw at the end, I was a bit disappointed by this, felt like a filler episode. Frankly I couldn't care less about Dany and Jon's love story. Looks like we'll get some more action next week though. Now that you think about it, Jaime's an idiot, he's waling into a place where everyone in charge wants to kill him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've got Sky so I'll be watching it on that but are there any rivers available that I can save as a favourite for future if I'm not at home but want to watch it live on a laptop?

PM's would be welcomed. Mods delete if against the rules.
@Hoof The Ball the ball gave me a brilliant one. The chat next to the vid was hilarious.

Moiraine

Is it the worst opening episode of a GOT Seasons? Some of the re-unions are just beyond lame. Plus Sam's angry reaction was also a bit over the top, given that they broke their allegiance and were fighting Lanisters

Habs

Is it the worst opening episode of a GOT Seasons? Some of the re-unions are just beyond lame. Plus Sam's angry reaction was also a bit over the top, given that they broke their allegiance and were fighting Lanisters
Easily, not sure how they plan on fitting everything in 5 episodes when nothing really happened in this one

Cloud7

“If you want a whore buy one....if you want a queen earn her” is gonna be the new basic girl quote. I expect to see it on Instagram captions by the end of the week.

AshRK

Not a bad episode but some of the reunions were very underwhelming. Last one was cool between Jaimie and brann but rest were meh. Also, getting bored with jon danny love. No chemistry between them. Did anyone else notice similarities between danny and early seasons cercei. Just have a feeling danny will die.

Andersons Dietician

Well that was very disappointing.

A lot of the reunions or interactions and things I’d been looking forward to were kinda rubbish. Only decent one was Sansa’s reaction towards Dani. Other than that it seemed like a Disney high school Rom com. That dragon date thing was so awful this kiss bit was horrid. They don’t need to be trying to add humour at this point, just let the Hound, Tormund and Tyrian continue to be the funny ones.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Enjoyed the feeling of the show being back, but there were some jarring moments that just didn't sit right. The Theon rescue being the worst of the episode. Always expected the first episode to be filled and getting people back up to date with such a long gap since the last season. Next week should be interesting though. Tormund getting back to Winterfell needs to happen, but I've got no idea how they do it

Moiraine

“If you want a whore buy one....if you want a queen earn her” is gonna be the new basic girl quote. I expect to see it on Instagram captions by the end of the week.
and in intro on Tinder etc.
What should be a guy's line in response ?

If you want a pervert, meet any guy out in the street, if you want a king, here I am :wenger:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought they'd do a lot more in the episode given theres only 5 left now. I'd assume the last 5 are going to be intense, so much to wrap up in 5 episodes.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The effects on the dragon ride weren’t great but it was meant to be a Potteresque sequence so not much more can be said about that. Not a great episode and pacing was all over the place but it was more of a setting the scene episode and it already was too fast so not sure how anyone can say nothing happened. Felt some of the reunions felt flat purely because pace was too quick. Liked the reveal of Jon’s heritage and the ending ... but the Golden Company arrival should have had more gravitas. Too short an episode as well.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Enjoyed it. Wasn't there something about all the episodes being about 90 minutes this season though?

Ugh, you're so right.

Sylar

Same. I imagine people will pick it apart but feck it, I was totally in.

Bran being outside in the courtyard for pretty much the entire episode. :lol:
Bran is creepy as fck

The Arya/Jon reunion was great
Aryas line: I robbed you first
Jon being told the truth and Sam's delivery of whether she would do the same was great

I didn't mind the dragon ride as it's to be expected and was one scene

Jamie's face though was hilarious

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Thought it should have been longer. Wasn’t blown away tbh but I know they need to set the scene with a lot of characters or it would be a bit jarring.

Only 5 episodes left so I doubt there will be much more fussing about.

Cloud7

Drogon looking at Jon like ‘what are you doing to my mommy’ was probably my favourite moment of this episode. Tie between that and Bronn asking “which girl” :lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Enjoyed the feeling of the show being back, but there were some jarring moments that just didn't sit right. The Theon rescue being the worst of the episode. Always expected the first episode to be filled and getting people back up to date with such a long gap since the last season. Next week should be interesting though. Tormund getting back to Winterfell needs to happen, but I've got no idea how they do it
They might not get back in time but given that they mentioned they had horses, they'll probably get ahead of them given that the Whitewalker army is pretty slow and the Umber Castle is still pretty far North.

I didn't mind the Theon rescue, how else was it ever going to happen? Sneaking onboard the ship isn't too tricky given that the entire fleet is stationary at Kings Landing and they're skilled seamen. It was always a long shot in the dark and it paid off.

The creepy scene with the Umber lad was interesting, that was the same spiral we've seen a few times, except this time it caught on fire really easily? Almost like it all the limbs were covered in oil. Intriguing.

iKnowNothing

The Umber lad - the night king killed him and they said it shows that he was between them and Winterfell. So the undead are way beyond the wall now? And how did Tormund get to that place? How did they escape the wall if they were attacked by the undead at the wall and then survive when the undead already passed them towards Winterfell?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The Umber lad - the night king killed him and they said it shows that he was between them and Winterfell. So the undead are way beyond the wall now? And how did Tormund get to that place? How did they escape the wall if they were attacked by the undead at the wall and then survive when the undead already passed them towards Winterfell?
The Umber Castle is the closest castle to the wall that got blown apart at the end of last season. So it's only natural that they got their first, think of it like Edinbourgh and Winterfell is Newcastle, there's still a fair bit of distance between the two locations.

As for Tormunds survival, they were shown to be ontop of the wall running away from the falling segment, so when the Whitewalkers were going through the hole, they were running along the top of the wall and went to the next castle along to get down. Therefore they were behind enemy lines so to speak.

Ultimately whats clear is that the North were took off guard by the attack. They most likely imagined a fairly long siege of the Wall not for them to punch through it instantly. That's why some of the Castles North were still manned I guess.

Sylar

People better respond with what cersei did 2 minutes later though

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Well, at least we got a zombie kid burning inside a creepy symbol consisting of body parts as a redeeming factor.

Doesn’t make up for the dragon ride though...

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
They might not get back in time but given that they mentioned they had horses, they'll probably get ahead of them given that the Whitewalker army is pretty slow and the Umber Castle is still pretty far North.

I didn't mind the Theon rescue, how else was it ever going to happen? Sneaking onboard the ship isn't too tricky given that the entire fleet is stationary at Kings Landing and they're skilled seamen. It was always a long shot in the dark and it paid off.

The creepy scene with the Umber lad was interesting, that was the same spiral we've seen a few times, except this time it caught on fire really easily? Almost like it all the limbs were covered in oil. Intriguing.
I'm dreading a rerun of battle of the bastards, where Jon is expecting Cersei to turn up and instead the nights watch etc save the day. It's probably least likely to happen, however if it did I'd be so so pissed.

It just seemed too easy, the ships they were on were massive so hiding them would have been no easy job. I know it's left to imagination, but a rowing boat heading off after saving her would have given a plausible answer, 3 massive ships sailing off less so.

As for the creepy scene I just assumed it was done for effect, as some of the limbs didn't even get touched by fire before setting alight. Hope the meaningfulness of the pattern is explained at some point over the season though, I've been wondering about it for a good few seasons now.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Same. I imagine people will pick it apart but feck it, I was totally in.

Bran being outside in the courtyard for pretty much the entire episode. :lol:
He probably got stuck there but was too humble to ask for help.

Moonred

Dany is such a punk. Valid concerns from Sansa about lack of food and resources for such a large army and dragon, gets told ‘whatever’. Dragons don’t eat. Let’s makeout.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
It is infortunate that so much content will be crammed into the last 5 episodes given that this one turned out to be filler material. No matter how well it is written or directed, I fail to see how they'll fulfill all the varied character promises they've built up over the last seven seasons in such a short time.

Well, prepared for a Hollywood sequence with a Tarantino ending. It would be foolish to expect a 'satisfying' ending.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I'm dreading a rerun of battle of the bastards, where Jon is expecting Cersei to turn up and instead the nights watch etc save the day. It's probably least likely to happen, however if it did I'd be so so pissed.
At this point, how much of the Night's Watch is still even left? Seems like just a ragtag group of them still alive. Doubt they'll be saving anybody.