Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Skills

Snitch
It's not. I mean I haven't even seen Sopranos and The Wire but as good as it is, GOT is a few notches below Breaking Bad.
First 4 seasons were right up there and I'm a huge BB fan.

The thing BB did really well was keep the story quite well contained and not let it spiral out of control. It's much more difficult with game of thrones though because there are so many key characters and development arcs in this show.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
That episode WAS dark. Deliberately so, and I get why so I didn't really have an issue with it.

But the couple of people on here claiming it wasn't, yeah our tvs aren't the problem, yours are set up wrong. Still in showroom settings or something?

;)

Drainy

A perfect character with no flaws.
Not really. They are inexplicably talented characters who are great at pretty much everything without having 'earned' the greatness, and liked and helped by everyone they meet immediately with almost no motivation. However, they can have flaws but they are usually minor ones that can be seen as likeable, positive or relatable- like niaivity or kind heartedness. The male equivalent is called Gary Stu.

They are basically insert characters either for the writer, or the audience to project themselves onto. Recently it has become associated with misogyny due to Star Wars, but the term was apparently originally a feminist critique of how some female characters were written- lacking the depth of male equivalents. There are plenty of Gary Stus though, especially in children's stories and anime.

Arya is not a Mary Sue. She is just being pushed by the show to almost Super Hero level power just to be 'bad ass', but there are a few characters who have 'Legolas syndrome'

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Or sat on him.

He did have that ice spear thingy, which killed the other dragon tbf.
Yeah I don’t know how so many have missed that. It was classic heroic Jon. He knew all hope was lost and he had to do something so he faced off with the dragon in the hope that he could get one clear, lucky shot at it. How many times have we seen that in films? Dragon draws back to release fire, gets one in the eye.

Woodzy

From a story perspective that was really underwhelming. After being built up as this final threat to humankind and waiting all this time for them to break through the wall, it's all over in one battle. It just leaves you with a sense that nobody ever really knew what to do with that storyline.
I honestly think they just wanted to get it out of the way so that they can end the show focusing on what’s important... the Game of Thrones.

I think it’s all set up nicely to be honest. It may look like ‘Cersei against everyone else’ at the moment but I’m sure loyalties will be torn and it will turn into a giant clusterfeck again soon enough.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That episode WAS dark. Deliberately so, and I get why so I didn't really have an issue with it.

But the couple of people on here claiming it wasn't, yeah our tvs aren't the problem, yours are set up wrong. Still in showroom settings or something?

;)
It's not even that it was dark - but the first half of the episode had so many rapid-fire cuts (it was like Michael Bay had taken over directing or something.) that that, plus the darkness, made it incredibly difficult to tell what was happening.

Unless i'm misremembering, GoT has never been a show for really quick cuts has it? It usually lingers on violence more then anything.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Who’d have thought the caf was full of military tacticians and battle commanders
I've also seen people say on the internet that it's disappointing how unrealistic it is because Battle of the Bastards was so realistic. Err, what? BotB was just as ridiculous and full of plot armor, hollywood cliches!

arnie_ni

I'll say again. Turn tour brightness on the tv up full and you see everything

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
1. The dragons would be much more vulnerable if everyone else was inside the castle because they would have have to hover (which was bad) or keep away. Then the Night King could just sit back and let the dead win in a battle of attrition as they mentioned in previous episode.
2. Also already explained several reasons but even beyond that its pretty silly to expect a horse riding culture of honor to fight on the walls. (In the Behind the Scenes its already explained that the Dothraki just attack because thats what they know and Daeny can't stand to see them die which messes up the plan - again could have been explained better.
3. Plot armor. I already said some scenes should have been shot different. Jon's ice blast was obviously one of them. Yes the blast that took down the Wall could be stopped by a stupid rock pile. That shot was indeed awful, agreed on that.
4. Its not Drogon and Daenerys I would be worried but Rhaegal and inexperienced dragon riding Jon Snowgaryen. I wouldn't trust Jon to evade an ice javelin.
5. The Night King brings the Night. Literally. There is no "attack during the day" option mate ;)
Think these points need special attention as they seem to be a big sticking point for a lot.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's not even that it was dark - but the first half of the episode had so many rapid-fire cuts (it was like Michael Bay had taken over directing or something.) that that, plus the darkness, made it incredibly difficult to tell what was happening.

Unless i'm misremembering, GoT has never been a show for really quick cuts has it? It usually lingers on violence more then anything.
All the important bits of violence were lingered on though.

Presumably they intended the rest to be dark, confusing and frantic. As that’s what fighting high speed zombies in the middle of the night must be like.

arnie_ni

Great visuals, plot was hanging on by a thread though. Arya killing the nk was fine, its grown on me a bit as it was nicely foreshadowed and fits with the arc. it was pretty well handled all things considered, i was just completely surprised thats the way they were taking the plot.

My only major gripe was the very beginning of the battle, they had loads of trebuchets and fired them once then ran away, wasted the Dothraki
immediately, although it was for cinematic effect which was a cool scene. however theres a massive continuity error/scale problem in that Dany brought 100,000 troops to westeros, they didnt lose many unsullied taking carstelly rock, and lost even less dothraki killing the lannister army at highgarden. they must have had about 1000 dothraki at the battle? and maybe 2/3 thousand unsullied? allowing for casualties and whatever you want, they are missing like 40/50/60.000 troops that just disappeared from the show.
You need to watch that first 20 mins again, there was 10s of thousands of each

mitChley

Also couldn't have the dragon have just chewed up the NK after failing to burn him?
Would you put your dragons head that close to the NK with an Ice Spear after he's already killed one dragon using it in the past? No thanks

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Think these points need special attention as they seem to be a big sticking point for a lot.
Hmmm not really. There's been plenty of attacking during the day through the whole series. Besides nobody is complaining that the attack was at night, just that they couldn't see wtf was going on which is kind of a prerequisite for television.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Hmmm not really. There's been plenty of attacking during the day through the whole series. Besides nobody is complaining that the attack was at night, just that they couldn't see wtf was going on which is kind of a prerequisite for television.
They are. They are saying that from tactical standpoint they should wait for morning before attacking. The Night King literally brings the night with him. That wasn't just sudden and expected adverse weather conditions.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The whole "Azhor
They are. They are saying that from tactical standpoint they should wait for morning before attacking. The Night King literally brings the night with him. That wasn't just sudden and expected adverse weather conditions.
Does he bring the night or the fog/cold wind ?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
He didn't at Hardhome?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Game of Tropes.

For shame. It used to be so good.
Which tropes? The characters saying goodbye to each other previously and not dying right after it, or the ones who made plans for retirement and didn't die right after it? Or the main enemy of the series being killed way before the climax leaving the final three episodes in uncertainty? Or how about the prodigal saviour rushing towards the big bad and not even having a fight with them? Or maybe even the arrogance of the antagonist being his demise at the hands of a small girl instead of being slain in armed combat? Or was it the two biggest main characters outside of the main family and two leads of the show going out fighting once their arcs were complete?

I'm kidding of course, the real trope they used was not killing a bunch of named characters purely to shock the audience. Are people really forgetting that this is still a fantasy TV show? Whether George does it in the books or not is irrelevant because you or I have got more chance of finishing them than he does at this point.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Which tropes? The characters saying goodbye to each other previously and not dying right after it, or the ones who made plans for retirement and didn't die right after it? Or the main enemy of the series being killed way before the climax leaving the final three episodes in uncertainty? Or how about the prodigal saviour rushing towards the big bad and not even having a fight with them? Or maybe even the arrogance of the antagonist being his demise at the hands of a small girl instead of being slain in armed combat? Or was it the two biggest main characters outside of the main family and two leads of the show going out fighting once their arcs were complete?

I'm kidding of course, the real trope they used was not killing a bunch of named characters purely to shock the audience. Are people really forgetting that this is still a fantasy TV show? Whether George does it in the books or not is irrelevant because you or I have got more chance of finishing them than he does at this point.
This week she's a small girl, last week she's a full adult lady... she really is Melisandre's air

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I've also seen people say on the internet that it's disappointing how unrealistic it is because Battle of the Bastards was so realistic. Err, what? BotB was just as ridiculous and full of plot armor, hollywood cliches!
To nobody's surprise, Battle of the Bastards, Hardhome, and now this one are my least favorite GoT episodes. In all of those they put visuals ahead of story and logic and put the plot armor on everyone who is someone. Oh, I forgot that beyond the wall battle on the ice lake. Also top 4 of the worst.

Coxy

Glad Ghost is alive. Also there not much of forces left, with what Dany means to win, just dragons? In trailer there are boats with Targaryan coat of arms, what are those?
How do we know
ghost is alive?