Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Are we saying that the series dispelled the idea that Jon couldn't be killed by fire because that wouldn't been a cool way to end the series.

She's lost it, he goes against her, Drogon steps in and tries to flame grill him only for him to walk right through it. Everyone sees it, declares him the king, Drogon bites his head off instead. Excellent plotting and a classic got shock ending all in one.
That would be fecking hilarious.

Fully Fledged

Not in any meaningful plot changing way though.

Even if, and best case, we give him Jon's heritage...Dany still takes KL and she still has the mad queen inside her. It's not as if Jon refusing to bone her is the actual reason for her going full mad bitch!
But we don't have a viable option to stand against her. Jon having a better claim is a major part of the story.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Ice king was always coming south, Bran had nothing to do with the dragon plot.

Bran has had nothing to do with anything, even figuring out who Jon is needed sam, and even then it changes nothing.
Ice king would have cluelessly been looking for the three eyed raven forever if it wasn't for Bran messing things up in his visions. There would be no need for Jon and his suicide squad to go north and Dany couldn't have gone straight for KL after coming to Westeros.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
So he did impact the plot then. ;)
I would say Brans purpose in the tv show was to provide more air time for the Walkers and allow us to witness scenes that occurred in the past as a viewer. He didn't actually contribute anything meaningful storywise except having characters sacrifice themselves to save him. He's a character they struggled with once the book material ran out. I'd put a few characters in that category. I'm not entirely sure where the books end with his plot, i'd guess when he finds the 3 eyed raven hence him missing for a season.

I'd say the best moment involving Bran was the Hold the Door episode and even then it was due to several characters sacrificing themselves so he could live. But surely their sacrifices now have smaller worth given that Bran hasn't actually been involved in doing anything substantial? Granted there's the whole "If the NightKing gets Bran, the world is finished because... something vague". But do we even know if that's accurate and if so, why was it never explained properly. Does anyone actually have a good explanation on how the world would end if the Night King got him? I may have simply forgotten.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Ice king would have cluelessly been looking for the three eyed raven forever if it wasn't for Bran messing things up in his visions. There would be no need for Jon and his suicide squad to go north and Dany couldn't have gone straight for KL after coming to Westeros.
The NK was heading south and building his army before the 3ER was even a thing in this.

He was always heading south with winter, it was repeatedly shown.

Fully Fledged

But Bran is only half that double act, he didn't even know himself!

And even if you are right, it's going to take the very last episode to make a difference, no?
I think it made some difference in this episode. If she trusted Jon she would have accepted his council about burning the city. We will only know the outcome at the end of the next episode. If Jon rules then Bran's vision was part of the double act that brought that about.

Redlambs

I think it made some difference in this episode. If she trusted Jon she would have accepted his council about burning the city. We will only know the outcome at the end of the next episode. If Jon rules then Bran's vision was part of the double act that brought that about.
But even then, she still takes the keep by smashing it to bits. But the history of her being mad goes back to before Jon turning her down, in fact directly before that we see her and Greyworm in the room when she dismisses him by his valyrian name. They had planned revenge, maybe not as harsh as she did, who knows, but they at least weren't letting Lannisters live.

And, even then, Bran didn't play the full role in that reveal. He didn't know it was Jon, and even then, he didn't tell anyone else but Jon.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
You guys are book nerds though. My missus doesn't even know what a Jon Aryn is. All she knows is that Jamie pushed Bran out of a window because he saw him boning his sister but that's ok because Jamie is (was) nice now and Bran is a weirdo or something.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Has anything about the entire story of the show been impacted by Bran?

If his character was removed completely would anything have happened differently as a consequence?
Well Brann saw Jaime and Cersie screwing which lead to his assasinate attempt twice which started the conflict between the Starks and Lannisters which was the start of the Civil War.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You guys are book nerds though. My missus doesn't even know what a Jon Aryn is. All she knows is that Jamie pushed Bran out of a window because he saw him boning his sister but that's ok because Jamie is (was) nice now and Bran is a weirdo or something.
Probably take far more of the details in on a 2nd viewing as Season 1 in particular was intimidating given the sheer quantity of characters.

padr81

Supports
Man City
So who will be the 1000th night's commander of the lord's watch?
Pure speculation but they'll ask Jon Snow and he'll turn them down because all he can say is "I don't want it." I don't think there's going to be a Nights Watch. Others are dead and the Wildlings will be part of the allies to the north. No enemy up there.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Pure speculation but they'll ask Jon Snow and he'll turn them down because all he can say is "I don't want it." I don't think there's going to be a Nights Watch. Others are dead and the Wildlings will be part of the allies to the north. No enemy up there.
I'm hoping there will be more white walkers and the night king was simply one faction. That'd be swell.

Redlambs

:lol: Your missus sounds exactly like mine. Focusing on the important stuff.

Well Brann saw Jaime and Cersie screwing which lead to his assasinate attempt twice which started the conflict between the Starks and Lannisters which was the start of the Civil War.
Nope, we covered this.

So who will be the 1000th night's commander of the lord's watch?
What, exactly, makes you bring up the night's watch?

Fingeredmouse

But even then, she still takes the keep by smashing it to bits. But the history of her being mad goes back to before Jon turning her down, in fact directly before that we see her and Greyworm in the room when she dismisses him by his valyrian name. They had planned revenge, maybe not as harsh as she did, who knows, but they at least weren't letting Lannisters live.

And, even then, Bran didn't play the full role in that reveal. He didn't know it was Jon, and even then, he didn't tell anyone else but Jon.
I'd always assumed he'd have warged back in time, as in with Hodor, and caused the mad king to go mad, hence setting the whole sequence in motion. It seems not.

Samid

Yeah, but why? What's left to watch other than, you know, literally the night?

I find it interesting you still think they'll play a part.
Maybe the ice king can be resurrected/recreated? Maybe the mark he left on Bran is significant? We don't know if all the children of the jungle died, maybe some survived and they decide they want to create a new ice king?

Redlambs

I'd always assumed he'd have warged back in time, as in with Hodor, and caused the mad king to go mad, hence setting the whole sequence in motion. It seems not.
Nope, the mad king thing was just a theory. It would have been cool though tbh.

He literally does feck all. Even Euron at least rids us of the Sandsnakes and kills a dragon.

Maybe the ice king can be resurrected/recreated? Maybe the mark he left on Bran is significant? We don't know if all the children of the jungle died, maybe some survived and they decide they want to create a new ice king?
And this all happens in the last episode? Bizarre.

Though I do also still hope the NK has warged into one of those ice ice babies. Oh and you know who does turn out to be the you know what...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Did everyone forget Bran said "chaos is a ladder" to Littlefinger! That alone justifies his character.

I'm kidding I never liked Bran.

Samid

And this all happens in the last episode? Bizarre.

Though I do also still hope the NK has warged into one of those ice ice babies. Oh and you know who does turn out to be the you know what...
No, they just have to appoint a 1000th night's commander and say something along the lines of 'you never know what will happen in the future'. The rest would be an open ending. That's so much better than implying that the undead are gone forever [speculation](and potentially the Targs/Lannisters too)[/speculation] and that everyone remaining in the known world will live happily ever after.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Guys, you’ve gone full Star Wars.

Never go full Star Wars
:lol: Nerds and their ceaseless entitlement.

Only just watched episode 5. It was good. Looked great. Moody yet exciting. Nice and dark too. Solid 7/10.

Was quite looking forward to catching up on this thread but I’m guessing it’s umpteen pages about why characters x, y and z didn’t get the glorious send off they deserve, blow by blow analysis of why Cersei’s siege tactics were ALL WRONG and relentless and excessive use of the word “arc”?

If so, I should probably pass.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Only just watched episode 5. It was good. Looked great. Moody yet exciting. Nice and dark too. Solid 7/10.

Was quite looking forward to catching up on this thread but I’m guessing it’s umpteen pages about why characters x, y and z didn’t get the glorious send off they deserve, blow by blow analysis of why Cersei’s siege tactics were ALL WRONG and relentless and excessive use of the word “arc”?

There was a 2 page discussion on Dany and her lack of make-up and how that was the wrong way to portray possible mental illness.

I think...

Redlambs

Not at all, we've all had a jolly good time discussing much more important things, like naming the horse.

Well worth a read!