Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Definitely started by one of our supporters.
:lol:

:lol: Nerds and their ceaseless entitlement.
Everyone talks about how intransigent the Boomer generation have been to the prospect of societal change, but if the recent reactions to the likes of Ghostbusters, Star Wars and this prove anything, it’s that the “nerd” generation are going to prove a much bigger and more infuriating obstacle when they become the heavyweight political majority. God help our children...

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
:lol:

Everyone talks about how intransigent the Boomer generation have been to the prospect of societal change, but if the recent reactions to the likes of Ghostbusters, Star Wars and this prove anything, it’s that the “nerd” generation are going to prove a much bigger and more infuriating obstacle when they become the heavyweight political majority. God help our children...
We have to get our children to infiltrate them Mockey ;)

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Are we saying that the series dispelled the idea that Jon couldn't be killed by fire because that wouldn't been a cool way to end the series.

She's lost it, he goes against her, Drogon steps in and tries to flame grill him only for him to walk right through it. Everyone sees it, declares him the king, Drogon bites his head off instead. Excellent plotting and a classic got shock ending all in one.
This is what i'm predicting... the first part anyway

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This this this. They made a conscious decision to omit a load of interesting stuff and alter a load of other interesting stuff. Post season 4 they deliberately pandered to what they believed were fan expectations, not understanding that it was the show’s defiance of those expectations which made it so intriguing in the first place. The original material they introduced in the first four seasons proves that they can write well when they feel like it, so the only conclusion to be drawn is that they lost interest in the show after season 4.
Bingo. It's the main reason why i became a fan of the show.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Are we saying that the series dispelled the idea that Jon couldn't be killed by fire because that wouldn't been a cool way to end the series.

She's lost it, he goes against her, Drogon steps in and tries to flame grill him only for him to walk right through it. Everyone sees it, declares him the king, Drogon bites his head off instead. Excellent plotting and a classic got shock ending all in one.
And then Arya flies in out of nowhere to kill Ghost because he was the last white walker.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
There was a 2 page discussion on Dany and her lack of make-up and how that was the wrong way to portray possible mental illness.

I think...
Nah man, it was sexist cause none of the blokes on TV wear makeup EVER. Except every single bloke who has ever been on TV. Hell, even I had to do it for some shite on BBC Three ten years ago.

I think...

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The biggest crime from this whole show is Scotland managing to feck up and allow production to move to Ireland after the pilot.

All of that Thrones money just vanishing...think of how many pie in a rolls you could get with that sort of moolah.

AshRK

Sorry if this has already been posted but a wonderful video to one of the greatest characters in GoT

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Surely the issues here differ though, wherein whereas a lot of the complaints concerning the new Star Wars were incredibly misogynistic and problematic, here we've seen a lot of genuine complaints about plotting? Like...I get it's a fantasy show and all, but it's always marketed itself as a fairly serious and (somewhat) mature drama, one that's swept up Emmy awards and the like against strong competition. If you've invested in said show for a long time, then I don't think it's unfair to point out that a lot of the plotting is invariably absolute nonsense when you actually apply any thought to it. People would've done the same for Breaking Bad had it descended into the same silliness. Or The Sopranos. Or any other major drama. Granted, I reckon that despite its ambition Thrones at its best was probably too patchy to ever be considered among the best dramas, but I'd say it was undoubtedly very good. And it's not ridiculous to the point out that the quality of the show has decreased drastically in the last two seasons.

And there's plenty to suggest it's the fault of the people behind the scenes. Some of the shows main stars have basically come out and said it's a bit shit and that they're extremely disappointed with it. By all accounts the writers would've been given more time by HBO if they wanted it, but basically decided they couldn't really be arsed. Which is understandable considering the scope of the project...but also suggests they've basically half-arsed it.

Obviously some people take it far too seriously. And I'd agree a lot of people project their own whims and wishes onto the plot because they've built up how it should go in their own heads. Indeed the series as a whole is a perfect example of people devising convoluted theories that probably won't end up being true. But if you're going to watch (and discuss) a show then I think it's fairly reasonable to point out the silly plotting, if said silly plotting wasn't as prominent in earlier seasons of said show. I mean, I generally don't mind where a lot of the plots have gone theoretically, but they've been implemented nonsensically. The latest few episodes are essentially what Breaking Bad would've been if Walter White was a somewhat power-hungry but ultimately reasonably decent person with virtuous goals who in the space of three episodes decided to become a brutal murderer who killed people for sport. It would've been ridiculous. And would've been called out as such.

Reddy Rederson

I was planning on watching all six episodes on Sunday, having been avoiding spoilers like a fecking ninja(except for some cnut in the mains asking for a gif of Arya killing you know who), but decided to just say feck it and watch the first 5 episodes now and watch the last episode with everyone else.

Now that I’m not avoiding everything got related, I can see the internet has done its thing and went full muppet. Very glad to have missed all the drama.

Watching from the start all the way through over the last couple of weeks, it’s so obvious when they ran out of book material. Feels a little rushed in parts, but I’ve enjoyed it for it was. Will be sad to see it go.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A few things I expect to see in the final episode
1) Bran warging into someone or something - possibly a dragon
2) Arya killing someone with her face changing trick
3) Jon vs Danyrs for the throne - directly or indirectly
4) Some even more main characters getting their marching orders

It will be interesting if we see Sam, Bron or Brienne again.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I was planning on watching all six episodes on Sunday, having been avoiding spoilers like a fecking ninja(except for some cnut in the mains asking for a gif of Arya killing you know who), but decided to just say feck it and watch the first 5 episodes now and watch the last episode with everyone else.

Now that I’m not avoiding everything got related, I can see the internet has done its thing and went full muppet. Very glad to have missed all the drama.

Watching from the start all the way through over the last couple of weeks, it’s so obvious when they ran out of book material. Feels a little rushed in parts, but I’ve enjoyed it for it was. Will be sad to see it go.
Did you report this? So we can kill them with fire.

Fully Fledged

You Bran fans, or Frans as you shall now be known, need to accept your boy is entirely pointless and may as well not be in it.
I'm not a fan of Bran per se. I'm a Stark fan. I’m not a big fan of his character. He’s that uncle who sits in the corner at Christmas Zonked out but stirs things up with a throwaway statement that reveals won of the family’s hidden secrets.
To say he hasn’t impacted the story is wrong he has his part in all the main stories. Could they have been done better without him? Maybe.
What are they watching?
The final episode?

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The more I think about how Jaime's arc ended the more annoyed I get. I mean, sure, they emphasised that the only thing he really cared about is Cersei but then what was all the crap about the White Book of the Kingsguard where he told Joffrey that there was still time to add to his page of accomplishments? They butchered his character after setting him up really well - even after the books had ended. Hell, they made him charge a fecking dragon last season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
A few things I expect to see in the final episode
1) Bran warging into someone or something - possibly a dragon
2) Arya killing someone with her face changing trick
3) Jon vs Danyrs for the throne - directly or indirectly
4) Some even more main characters getting their marching orders

It will be interesting if we see Sam, Bron or Brienne again.
Arya to sit on the throne with Dany’s face?

The prediction that no one will end up on the Iron Throne proving correct.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The more I think about how Jaime's arc ended the more annoyed I get. I mean, sure, they emphasised that the only thing he really cared about is Cersei but then what was all the crap about the White Book of the Kingsguard where he told Joffrey that there was still time to add to his page of accomplishments? They butchered his character after setting him up really well - even after the books had ended. Hell, they made him charge a fecking dragon last season.
Stop. Please. No more :nono:

My main beef is the dragon’s limitless fire. Don’t they ever have to refuel? Poor thing must have puked itself inside out.

Sylar

Re Jaime. He killed one of the main baddies. It’s just that said main baddie was a bit lame, mainly because he was a relatively recent arrival.
And was shit overall despite him being a big part of wiping out major characters from danys side

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
And was shit overall despite him being a big part of wiping out major characters from danys side
Dunno what you mean “shit overall”. He ended up a bit of a broken, kind of pathetic, man but that was plausible. Being reminded he threws some kid out of a window, letting his brother sacrifice himself, so he can sneak off to try and bang his sister. That stuff can’t be good for your self esteem. Which he made explicit in his last exchange with Brienne.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Arya to sit on the throne with Dany’s face?

The prediction that no one will end up on the Iron Throne proving correct.
We need to stop the face using theories now. It's had its time.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The scene between Jaime and Euron could have made more sense of Euron saw him and Cersei embracing him and Cersei mentioning the child is Jaimes not Eurons.

Euron having suffered a fatal would knocks out Jaime cold and ties him up or something whilst he chokes Cersei to death (thus fulfilling the Valonquar prophecy).

Then Jaime somehow gets free and he n Euron have a fight to the death. Not great but plot wise makes more sense.

Or even opposite way round - Jaime sees Euron embrace Cersei and mentions the child and implies no it is his and Even though it is really Jaimes in his rage he kills Euron and Cersei (by choking her).

Arya arrives on the scene to see Cersei has already been killed and runs back to where the Mountain and Hound were fighting, the Mountain is getting the better of both of them and is about to kill Arya only for Hound to sacrifice his life and push the Mountain and himself off the building and fall into the fire (cue emotional scene).
He just 'somehow' gets away. Imagine D&D explaining that.

If it played out like that we'd have complaints about the massive coincidence that brought them all together in that moment.

That would be more cheesy and cliched than anything we had seen this series.

Still makes fcuk all sense to torch the whole city. It just doesn’t.
She's gone mad. By definition, it can't make sense.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He just 'somehow' gets away. Imagine D&D explaining that.

If it played out like that we'd have complaints about the massive coincidence that brought them all together in that moment.

That would be more cheesy and cliched than anything we had seen this series.

She's gone mad. By definition, it can't make sense.
It wouldn’t be a massive coincidence as Euron after escaping Danys attack would naturally want to head back to Cersei as she supposedly is pregnant with his baby and Jaime likewise wants to get back to her so it isn’t as contrived as you’d think.

Makes a helluva lot more sense than Euron just fighting Jaime so he can he the man who killed Jaime Lannister or whatever it was they were trying to pull.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I didn’t. Just stopped reading quick and killed my browser. Couldn’t tell you who it was or even what thread.
I do this too when I read a spoiler. Somehow hoping that if I'm fast enough it won't really enter my brain and the spoiler won't stick.

Hasn't worked yet sadly.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It wouldn’t be a massive coincidence as Euron after escaping Danys attack would naturally want to head back to Cersei as she supposedly is pregnant with his baby and Jaime likewise wants to get back to her so it isn’t as contrived as you’d think.

Makes a helluva lot more sense than Euron just fighting Jaime so he can he the man who killed Jaime Lannister or whatever it was they were trying to pull.
Euron arrives at the precise moment Cersei confesses the child is Jaime's?
Then the heartless killing machine decides to inexplicably tie Jaime up instead of just killing him there and then? And why is Cersei doing nothing during this exchange? Does she wait patiently while he ties up Jaime? Then Jaime somehow manages to escape his poorly tied bonds to exact revenge? Before neatly dying from his mortal wound that doesn't seem to have effected his ability to escape his bonds.

Or Jaime, who travelled the length of Westeros to be with the woman who tried to have him killed, and has loved her despite the many, many atrocities she's committed, decides in that moment to go against his character and kill her?

Sounds pretty contrived to me.

Sylar

Dunno what you mean “shit overall”. He ended up a bit of a broken, kind of pathetic, man but that was plausible. Being reminded he threws some kid out of a window, letting his brother sacrifice himself, so he can sneak off to try and bang his sister. That stuff can’t be good for your self esteem. Which he made explicit in his last exchange with Brienne.
Oh, I meant the main villain he killed being shit (Euron). Jaime taking him out might have been awesome if Euron wasnt written like a jobber who had big actions.

I actually liked Jaimes story overall and accepted he would go back to Cersei once the war with the dead was over (hes gone back to her numerous times, after arming Brienne to get the stark children, after trying to get mycella back, after taking back riverrun and seeing everything blown up).
Only thing I change is Brienne crying when Jaime leaves. Just make him leave whilst shes asleep. Dunno.

RochaRoja

Guys, you’ve gone full Star Wars.

Never go full Star Wars
I wonder what they’ll all do when the books are finally released and turn out to be exactly the same. Can’t wait to be honest.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Euron arrives at the precise moment Cersei confesses the child is Jaime's?
Then the heartless killing machine decides to inexplicably tie Jaime up instead of just killing him there and then? And why is Cersei doing nothing during this exchange? Does she wait patiently while he ties up Jaime? Then Jaime somehow manages to escape his poorly tied bonds to exact revenge? Before neatly dying from his mortal wound that doesn't seem to have effected his ability to escape his bonds.

Or Jaime, who travelled the length of Westeros to be with the woman who tried to have him killed, and has loved her despite the many, many atrocities she's committed, decides in that moment to go against his character and kill her?

Sounds pretty contrived to me.
If we go by that logic, everything in every story ever is contrived in order to tell a story? all authors will contrive situations in order to convey a narrative.

Point is if you're going to put pieces in place, ensure it has some dramatic weight behind it and means something, and is logical in the context of those characters arc.

As for the part in bold, sick feck that Euron is it would make sense that he wants Jaime to witness him killing Cersei (if we're basing it purely on TV Euron).

As for the second bolded point, yes he's travelled all that way to be with her.. but he's always had that bond that she's been the mother of all his children. If for a second he thought she's decided to father Euron's child of all people, it might justifiably be the straw that broke the camel's back. Now you could argue well she married Robert - but that was out of duty, this would be out of spite.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Re Jaime. He killed one of the main baddies. It’s just that said main baddie was a bit lame, mainly because he was a relatively recent arrival.
:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

You know, since we're now highlighting random words in other people's posts for no reason. knob cheese

Sylar

BTW, just watched episode 3 of this season again. Its really fantastic, and not as problematic as most made out.
I think it helps my TV didnt need adjusting (just the lights in the room closed when I watched it, but i tend to do that anyway at 2am).

Mel lighting the Dothrakis swords was good. You can tell they ran off on their own as Jorah wasnt expecting it (and was left behind / trying to catch up)

When Jorah returned looked fcked, he did return with Dothraki running back too (some without horses). Some ran back before him, some next to him, etc. They probably could have done a wider shot to show more coming back (if they were going to say half came back)
Quite a lot of the Unsullied managed to get back into the Castle before Greyworm pulled his little trick.
So wasnt just a respawn out of nowhere.

Sam was fckin useless. Not sure how he didnt die (or why they made that situation of Jon leaving him being piled up on). Not sure what that served.
Also still dont get Jon screaming at the dragon. Not sure what that served. It wasnt an obvious distraction (they didnt hint that he saw Arya and tried to cause a distraction, to allow Arya to sneak by). Is that the assumption were meant to make?

Arya killing NK was great. Not too fussed she got by the other WWs and jumped at NK. Her being caught was great, and the knife trick was great too. NK didnt make himself vulnerable at any point except that one when he went to do whatever he was going to do with Bran. Strangely Bran didnt smile or show any positive reaction when Arya finished it off. Maybe they do something with that? Something? Anything?

Theon and Jorah going out the way they did was great. Theon for all his issues, protected Bran to the end (after trying to get him out initially in the early seasons). He suffered due to it, and turned it around by eventually saving Sansa, eventually saving his sister and sacrificing himself for Bran.

And Jorah, fought and fought to do what he pledged, dying to save Dany.

Also ep2 is just amazing in terms of character interactions. I think they needed more of that in ep4 and less of the dragon falling the way it did by hidden ships.