g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gareth Bale

Status
Not open for further replies.

soapythecat

Don't want. Over priced, over hyped and not as good as his fee/wages would suggest.
United need at least 4 players this next window to compete for the title. Bale would cost a fortune and would be an expensive luxury signing, in a position we are relatively healthy. If the club do want a marque big fee signing then blow it on Pogba or bring CR7 back.
I'd much rather we buy another 4 great players and carry on the rebuild without any of the Real Madrid circus coming our way at all.
Finding a new keeper needs to be our #1 priority.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Last season, Bale was crucial in winning tropheys for Madrid. This season, he is struggling. One average season does not define him as a player though. The criticisms are a bit OTT.
He was pretty average last season too. Scored some massive goals but performances over the season weren't great (much better than this season though).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Bale was good last season. Did some brilliant things like scoring in big games, but he did face some of the issues he's facing this season of looking a bit out place technically, last season as well. That's why his season was not a great one. But it was a good season for him.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He wasn't definitely not average last season.
Average is harsh, it was a good debut season...but not an overall good one. I'm not sure they'd have been happy with another one like that (ignoring trophy winning goals), but he regressed anyway.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Average is harsh, it was a good debut season...but not an overall good one. I'm not sure they'd have been happy with another one like that (ignoring trophy winning goals), but he regressed anyway.
Couldn't be the dominant force he was at Spurs as he had to play alongside Ronaldo, but 21 goals and 16 assists in your debut season is magnificent, he also had brilliant performances, i think Madrid are under-utilising him, hence the regression in his game.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Couldn't be the dominant force he was at Spurs as he had to play alongside Ronaldo, but 21 goals and 16 assists in your debut season is magnificent, he also had brilliant performances, i think Madrid are under-utilising him, hence the regression in his game.
Too many excuses are made for Bale. It's Ancelotti's fault...it's Madrid's fault...it's Cristiano's fault. How? He's been utter shite for a whole season now, that's too long to blame someone else for, there's no reason why he can't perform in the current set up.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah that's a fine return indeed. He's not being under utilised though. Ancelotti has really put faith in him.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
We already have Depay, Di Maria and Januzaj all of whom play best on the left. Not to mention Ashley Young who has been in great form this year.

Now there is talk about spending 60+ million on yet another left sided player in Bale. While he has played on the right for Madrid he's only playing there because Ronaldo has to play on the left. His best football in his career has come on the left.
I cant speak about Depay but he hasnt shown a level yet that Gareth has. Young isnt the player you turn down Bale for, and Di Maria you clearly dont know about if you think his best form has come on the left wing, its a centre midfielder, he simply needs 2 carricks next to him.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Too many excuses are made for Bale. It's Ancelotti's fault...it's Madrid's fault...it's Cristiano's fault. How? He's been utter shite for a whole season now, that's too long to blame someone else for, there's no reason why he can't perform in the current set up.
Perhaps, i hate the excuses too, i just think the only legitimate one would be playing alongside Ronaldo, but that can also be dismissed - i think Bale and Di Maria are suffering from the same type of slump in form.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His agent was right. He definitely feels lonely, he can't spot a teammate to save his life, he had like 50 shots yesterday.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I cant speak about Depay but he hasnt shown a level yet that Gareth has. Young isnt the player you turn down Bale for, and Di Maria you clearly dont know about if you think his best form has come on the left wing, its a centre midfielder, he simply needs 2 carricks next to him.
Agree about Bale (but apart from 2 Carricks) 1 DM and a strong Box 2 box would be suffice for Di Maria to play there against most opposition in the Premiership and early champions league (that's about 70% of games)

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Don't know whether we are after him, but some do talk tripe about him lol. Not good enough for Madrid so not good enough for us! I ain't paying 100 million for him! Some people are not able to analyze anything. They literally do not have that ability. Can't do it at a big club. Don't care what he did the two seasons prior to taking abuse, he can't do it. This game proves it. He's got 28 goals in 57 apps according to Wiki. He's a flop at Madrid!!! Some people need to THINK about things more. The people talking about who we have already are thinking. Those talking shite aren't.

ottosec

I don't think he was that bad, but unfortunately he's in that zone where everything he does it's considered shit.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
I'm kind of happy that he's flopping at that circus. I can remember saying that he'd be back in England in two odd years after that transfer.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
The Real players are freezing the guy out. Whenever he gets the ball you can tell they are bullying him with their gestures and body language that kind of says: "Fine, have the ball. I won't make an effort for you because you just can't create shit with your skills."

The fact that he's the most expensive player in the world is probably irritating for the other players. I bet he's feeling like a boy who can't dance at the disco at training sessions where your skill set need to be close to a specialized street artist. Don't missunderstand me now, but we in northern europe know from youth tournaments that the guys from south america and southern europe are much better with the ball when it comes to tricks and flicks (while we're better organised and stronger). So Gareth is probably spending a lot of time faking stretch excersizes and retieing his shoelaces.

If we would buy him I wouldn't dare to spend more than £50m. He's had a lot of injuries lately and the last thing we need is a player on the way down.

Bwuk

He was rubbish yesterday but his confidence is shot. He doesn't suit playing on the right either.

Bale on the left, Memphis on the right with Mata/di Maria in behind a striker.

bishblaize

Bale's in a poor run of form, but that happens & you cant decide a player is fundamentally rubbish based solely on that. He was generally excellent last year after a slow start, obviously excellent at Spurs too. He's probably over-priced at £80M+,by a significant amount unfortunately, which means that a transfer isn't really something Id be happy about. But if he were available at a sane price I'd be very happy to have him at the club.

the hea

I don't think a wide player should be our main concern right now with Memphis in the team we got a very good mix of wide players in Young, Memphis, Di Maria, Januzaj and Mata that is 5 players for 2 positions and that should be enough. Defenders and central midfielders should be our main focus for the summer and I'd say even a new striker would be more important than another winger.

Crustanoid

Sorry, but we gave them 60mil for Di Maria, a player they wanted shot of, because they had bought James. We'd better not overpay them for their latest reject. They ought to do us a good deal given what we did for them last summer, and also the value they got from Ronaldo

Crustanoid

Mybe we don't buy another striker and use him centrally. Offload RVP and Falcao. Rotate Bale and Rooney or move Rooney back to number 10. I don't think we need him on the wings

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sorry, but we gave them 60mil for Di Maria, a player they wanted shot of, because they had bought James. We'd better not overpay them for their latest reject. They ought to do us a good deal given what we did for them last summer, and also the value they got from Ronaldo
Don't forget they're currently trying to convince our keeper to run down his contract and leave for free, or at most well below his market value.

Crustanoid

Don't forget they're currently trying to convince our keeper to run down his contract and leave for free, or at most well below his market value.
We've been ripped off a lot of times by this club and should be trying to assert a little bit more authority now.

JoaquinJoaquin

I'm kinda hoping De Gea seen that last night and is having second thoughts on moving... Probably won't make any sort of difference though.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Just a reminder of some of the goals he scored in his last season at Spurs...

He has very clear limitations and doesn't complement our style perfectly but I still think he'd be brilliant here. For those that say he can't be effective against packed defences...it doesn't matter how many men you have behind the ball if you can hit it like he did v West Ham, Southampton or Sunderland.

He nearly scored a cracker in the first half v Juve yesterday and was their biggest threat, and that's with him low on confidence.

Bape

Mybe we don't buy another striker and use him centrally. Offload RVP and Falcao. Rotate Bale and Rooney or move Rooney back to number 10. I don't think we need him on the wings
This would work perfectly on Fifa, not sure in real life though...

NotQuiteManc

Another form of awesome trinity beckons for United too a'la Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez of old - Memphis/Bale/Di Maria?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If this does happen, it's time for Woodward to prove his negotiation skills.

Bale is damaged goods right now, the fans don't want him there and his value isn't going up. I also don't see that many teams looking to break the bank for him. Anything over £50m would be poor business in my eyes.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He has very clear limitations and doesn't complement our style perfectly but I still think he'd be brilliant here. For those that say he can't be effective against packed defences...it doesn't matter how many men you have behind the ball if you can hit it like he did v West Ham, Southampton or Sunderland.

He nearly scored a cracker in the first half v Juve yesterday and was their biggest threat, and that's with him low on confidence.
But that's the heart of the problem should we purchase a player who doesn't complement our style? We can't pay +40m for a player who will only be useful if he scores crackers on a regular basis.
I like Bale but his characteristics aren't what we are looking for.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Serious question, but does anyone else think that Bale is just a one season wonder type player? If you look at it, he's been average at best in Madrid, with his goals covering up his otherwise "meh" play last season, this season he's been downright shite, and then before his last 6 months at Spurs, he was inconsistent and nothing more then just a good player pretty much. Sky and the rest of the english media overhyped that last 6 months in a Spurs shirt so much I think that his entire reputation is built on what is essentially just a few months of great form that was otherwise unsustainable. He scored so many screamers from range that season that people started thinking he'll do it week in, week out, when in reality, it was always going to be incredibly unlikely for him to keep up that shooting.

When you look at the other parts of his game though, he's pretty average, you have to say. He has his great pace and his shots from range, but other then that, nothing. If he wasn't British, he wouldn't have been hyped nearly as much in the first place and probably would never have gone to a club the size of Madrid.
You could probably say the same about Di Maria to be honest (though I think he has more to his game then Bale). Both players who have always been criticized for their inconsistency apart from basically 6 months of great form.
Agree with this. I don't think he'll ever reach the hights he did that season for Spurs again. He's just too limited and to blow £50 plus million(if that's the price) on Bale is madness imo.

RedorDead21

Agree with this. I don't think he'll ever reach the hights he did that season for Spurs again. He's just too limited and to blow £50 plus million(if that's the price) on Bale is madness imo.
Arsenal fans said similar things when we got RVP and he won us the league in his first year. Bale is not injury prone and alot younger. He's been devastating when on form in the PL and in the CL. He had avery good first season in La Liga. Did Beckhams stats ever better that? (I don't know). Bale would win us the league next season if we fix our other weaknesses. Its that simple. He'd be a genuine challenge to Hazard and thats exactly what we need.

Bwuk

But that's the heart of the problem should we purchase a player who doesn't complement our style? We can't pay +40m for a player who will only be useful if he scores crackers on a regular basis.
I like Bale but his characteristics aren't what we are looking for.
Maybe someone with his characteristics is what we need. This whole constant keeping the ball for the sake of it possession football is rubbish. You need people who can score goals, create chances and take risks, stamp their authority on the game.

I'd take Bale in a second. He'd be our best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.