Garnacho: What is his potential?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Need to see more of him really. So far you can only really say he’ll be a good winger.

Trex

He has pace and acceleration can beat his either side very often, close control, low center of gravity, tenacious, aggressive, very good work rate.
He looks exciting as a winger, what will define him would be his end product. If he can come up with goals and assist at a decent rate then he'll be some player.
Although still raw, he shows every other attribute you would want in a wide man.

crossy1686

career ending
I think he has higher potential than Greenwood, not been this excited about a player since Januzaj.
I doubt that, he’s a good winger who isn’t afraid to take on his man but I don’t think he’ll amount to anything more than a reliable and solid winger. He looks a lot better than he is because we have wide players who won’t run at the fullback, also, only him and Elanga are comfortable running in behind when the ball is played there, the rest of our forwards want the ball to feet.

Deery

Dreary
That's beside the point. Greenwood is done. Potential is no guarantee of anything. Greenwood was the more talented player with higher potential.
Greenwood was very good yes great shot on him, but Garnacho has ability that’s only seen with the best players plus a bit of speed and directness. I think he’s destined for big things, I don’t know you just see it sometimes and know.

Dan_F

We’ll seen in a years time when I’m proven right.
What are you expecting from him this season to prove that? Greenwood scored 17 goals for the first team in a season at an equivalent age.

Remember the geese

I doubt that, he’s a good winger who isn’t afraid to take on his man but I don’t think he’ll amount to anything more than a reliable and solid winger. He looks a lot better than he is because we have wide players who won’t run at the fullback, also, only him and Elanga are comfortable running in behind when the ball is played there, the rest of our forwards want the ball to feet.
I think he has it in him to reach a much higher level than that.

Abraxas

Hard to say. I think we should be relaxed and not hype him up as I don't think he's ready for that level of responsibility. I don't think he's going to be a regular first teamer this season anyway. He'll feature here and there.

crossy1686

career ending
I think he has it in him to reach a much higher level than that.
I hope he does and I hope you’re right but at the moment he’s a featherweight and easy to bully, and he also shows the ball to the fullback too much when he’s trying to take them on. If he stays wide and stops cutting in he can be a very solid option with further development.

Remember the geese

Greenwood was very good yes great shot on him, but Garnacho has ability that’s only seen with the best players plus a bit of speed and directness. I think he’s destined for big things, I don’t know you just see it sometimes and know.
I'm not dismissing him. I think if everything goes well he can be a world class player. However, it just shows how highly I rated Greenwood that I considered him to be the superior talent.

Remember the geese

I hope he does and I hope you’re right but at the moment he’s a featherweight and easy to bully, and he also shows the ball to the fullback too much when he’s trying to take them on. If he stays wide and stops cutting in he can be a very solid option with further development.
He's only 18 though. Martinelli for example, is a player who some feel has a high ceiling. I don't think Garnacho is any less talented.

Deery

Dreary
I'm not dismissing him. I think if everything goes well he can be a world class player. However, it just shows how highly I rated Greenwood that I considered him to be the superior talent.
No harm in that and Greenwood was a huge hope for us, where as Garnacho looks to have that star quality, I could be wrong but not often I get excited about youth products.

crossy1686

career ending
He's only 18 though. Martinelli for example, is a player who some feel has a high ceiling. I don't think Garnacho is any less talented.
Yeah but Martinelli is playing in the PL week in, week out and scoring goals. Garnacho has yet to play a PL game and looks like he has some serious development to do before he’s ready for that.

Remember the geese

No harm in that and Greenwood was a huge hope for us, where as Garnacho looks to have that star quality, I could be wrong but not often I get excited about youth products.
You have every right to be excited about him. He has the potential to go very far. Kobbie Mainoo is the player I am really excited about.

Pickle85

Greenwood absolutely was the better talent, agreed, and I can't believe it's even a debate. He was incredibly two footed, a decent dribbler and utterly deadly finisher. Garnacho looks good but no amount of 'sometimes you just see it' chat will convince me he looks anything like the prospect Greenwood did.

Remember the geese

Yeah but Martinelli is playing in the PL week in, week out and scoring goals. Garnacho has yet to play a PL game and looks like he has some serious development to do before he’s ready for that.
Oh yeah I wouldn't be starting him week in week out in the Prem. He has come on leaps and bounds in the last year and is a nice option to have off the bench. Garnacho does have three years on Martinelli though, so I'd say he's well on track right now.

cyberman

Need to see the variety of his finishing. If it’s cut in and right foot then it’s Rashford lite. A bit more variety and I can see something really special.

Remember the geese

Greenwood absolutely was the better talent, agreed, and I can't believe it's even a debate. He was incredibly two footed, a decent dribbler and utterly deadly finisher. Garnacho looks good but no amount of 'sometimes you just see it' chat will convince me he looks anything like the prospect Greenwood did.
Exactly right. I think records would have been broken. Alas. Garnacho though can become a really good player if things work out. A classic Klopp style forward.

Mickson

I really don’t think he is at all. In terms of where he takes up space and how he approaches the game he’s very wise.
He's very raw in his touches, decision-making etc. He can be underwhelming even in the U21. He also drifts in and out of games, he's a clutch player.

TsuWave

We’ll seen in a years time when I’m proven right.
This makes no sense since Greenwood is finished. We've watched both of them and I legit find it mind boggling that people think Garnacho has more potential.

Greenwood was very good yes great shot on him, but Garnacho has ability that’s only seen with the best players plus a bit of speed and directness.
What ability that's only seen with the best players? Greenwood was one of the most technically gifted players in our squad as a teenager and directness is the reason Greenwood was in the company of Owen, Fowler and Rooney as a teenager too

That's beside the point. Greenwood is done. Potential is no guarantee of anything. Greenwood was the more talented player with higher potential.
All true

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
This makes no sense since Greenwood is finished. We've watched both of them and I legit find it mind boggling that people think Garnacho has more potential.

What ability that's only seen with the best players? Greenwood was one of the most technically gifted players in our squad as a teenager and directness is the reason Greenwood was in the company of Owen, Fowler and Rooney has a teenager too
Greenwood had the ability to find the net with shots which is rare I agree but the rest of his game wasn’t spectacular it was quite ordinary, if Garnacho can score the goals and terrorise the wing he’ll be better than Mason.

captaincantona

This guy is good but not in the ballpark of Greenwood. No reason he can’t give Sancho some much needed competition.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's very raw in his touches, decision-making etc. He can be underwhelming even in the U21. He also drifts in and out of games, he's a clutch player.
Isn't that typical of most young players. Decision making is only Improved with experience??

A few of us may remember a certain R. Giggs being VERY inconsistent with his crossing. Would often hit the front post with a cross when the second runner on the edge of the box was the better option and vice versa.

What I like about Garnacho is his decision making when to cut inside once he's beat the defender. He's very economical with the ball and doesn't overplay it.

The Irish Connection

Isn't that typical of most young players. Decision making is only Improved with experience??

A few of us may remember a certain R. Giggs being VERY inconsistent with his crossing. Would often hit the front post with a cross when the second runner on the edge of the box was the better option and vice versa.

What I like about Garnacho is his decision making when to cut inside once he's beat the defender. He's very economical with the ball and doesn't overplay it.
The finish tonight was Giggsesque against Arsenal.

Bondi77

Sancho needs to improve nowhere near a 73 mill player on 375k a week
He is back up to Antony on the RW as Rashford and now Garnacho have the LW covered
Amad will probably come back from his loan and will be a better option than Sancho.

avgp_1

Don't know but he reminds me of a young Alexis Sanchez of River and Colo Colo.

His directness, attempts at goal, pace, tenacity and also that raw technique. Granted I have only watched YouTube vids of Alexis from that time

Dread Devil

He is very exciting and so glad to see him finally get some minutes.

He isn’t on the same level as Mason was but he has a natural talent and can go past defenders on the left and right…he may well develop into a very very special player….

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Most probably Januzaj levels. Have a good game here and there and he'll leave.