g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Garnacho: What is his potential?

tomaldinho1

Still think Greenwood was/is better. By far.
You shouldn’t even have to argue this. Hewhomustnotbenamed was levels above anyone we have seen.

Garnacho has promise, not much more than that right now - he could be great, he could be Bellion, he’s literally played a couple of games.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Sancho says 'Hi'
He is either very close to being a better option on the left or is already better out there. Sancho has been largely abysmal and makes the team worse when he plays.

That does not mean Garnacho is great either, it’s more about how diabolical Sancho has been.

GreatDane

You'd think this was a Greenwood thread by how many times his name is mentioned, fecking hell.
Let him rot.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Could develop into a top class player or end up like another Januzaj. Just too hard to predict for a plethora of reasons this early on.

Bocca9978

Get the lad a new contract and starting position. Really impressed.
We have under performers that can make way.

GledTheRed

Seems a lot of folk are playing down Ale Ale Alejandro.

Strange take, he's looked fantastic for the last two years and his goal last night was fantastic.

Bondi77

Who is to say that he was way off the mark though? There's potential and then there's fulfilling that potential. Obviously you could argue that the potential may not have been there in the first place, but who's to say that it wasn't?

Certain players possess specific characteristics that others do not. It's why we rate them higher than their peers and speculate that they may become extra-ordinary. What happens after that involves many different factors, some of which fans aren't privy too.
Well let us just say that he is a very good footballer in his age group then and we will all be right.

Bondi77

Which types of threads are pointless? Discussing young player potential?

I guess it would be easier to ask which threads DO have a point since we're basically just sharing opinions about football.
It is when expectation turns into dislike and criticism of young players that I do not like and that seems to be rife on here.

El Jefe

He's exciting and his ability to run at speed with the ball is a rare quality but I fear he doesn't have much else to his game.

He really needs to be developed to not only look up but also be able to pick out a meaningful pass.

He's one of those talents that could go either way. There's a fine line between being a headless runner like Anthony Gordon and being direct player with actual impact like Martinelli and I think Garnacho could go either way.

Gazza

It is when expectation turns into dislike and criticism of young players that I do not like and that seems to be rife on here.
Ah ok, but it feels like you're conflating different posts from different posters there. It seems quite harmless for people to discuss a player's potential, indeed you've done so yourself even if it's just "I have high hopes for Amad Diallo" and personally I don't see what's harmful in that. I think dislike and criticism of young players is a different matter and of course there is fair criticism and stuff which is out of order. But I don't think it necessarily follows that Cafsters articulating their take on a young player's potential leads to insulting them when they don't turn out to be all that. I do get what you mean, though.

El Jefe

I think people have very quickly forgotten how special Greenwood was on the pitch. Which may be a good thing given how much of a cnut he was off it.
Also shows they didn't watch Greenwood much in the academy. The Mason we saw in the first team was only scratching the surface of his true potential, he showed so much more to his game at youth level.

I like Garnacho but Greenwood was a much better prospect by a considerable margin.

Bondi77

Ah ok, but it feels like you're conflating different posts from different posters there. It seems quite harmless for people to discuss a player's potential, indeed you've done so yourself even if it's just "I have high hopes for Amad Diallo" and personally I don't see what's harmful in that. I think dislike and criticism of young players is a different matter and of course there is fair criticism and stuff which is out of order. But I don't think it necessarily follows that Cafsters articulating their take on a young player's potential leads to insulting them when they don't turn out to be all that. I do get what you mean, though.
Seems like you have had a look at my posts on other players and if you dig a bit further you will see I am fairly consistent on my appraisal of young players without going overboard.

Gazza

Seems like you have had a look at my posts on other players and if you dig a bit further you will see I am fairly consistent on my appraisal of young players without going overboard.
My point is that it's not really harmful in and of itself to speculate on a player's potential. If your point is that people shouldn't go overboard, no arguments there. I don't see too much of that going on in this thread tbh but your point is a fair one to make anyway.

Donut

I don’t get the Januzaj comparisons. Adnan was very mature for his age with a great eye for a pass, while Garnacho is extremely direct and a powerful runner, he reminds me of Federico Chiesa.

EngimaMK

You shouldn’t even have to argue this. Hewhomustnotbenamed was levels above anyone we have seen.

Garnacho has promise, not much more than that right now - he could be great, he could be Bellion, he’s literally played a couple of games.
Honestly am gutted by what happened with him. Yes, because he is a scumbag for doing it but also, selfishly, as a United fan. He was one extremely bright light in a very dark period for us. Greenwood was absolutely next level talented. Threw it all away because he couldn't resist acting like a cnut. So tragic all round as a story.

EngimaMK

Also shows they didn't watch Greenwood much in the academy. The Mason we saw in the first team was only scratching the surface of his true potential, he showed so much more to his game at youth level.

I like Garnacho but Greenwood was a much better prospect by a considerable margin.
By a landslide. Greenwood could've gone down in the annals of history as a United and England Great. An outstanding talent.

EngimaMK

He's exciting and his ability to run at speed with the ball is a rare quality but I fear he doesn't have much else to his game.

He really needs to be developed to not only look up but also be able to pick out a meaningful pass.

He's one of those talents that could go either way. There's a fine line between being a headless runner like Anthony Gordon and being direct player with actual impact like Martinelli and I think Garnacho could go either way.
He's just turned 18. Plenty of time

Tarrou

I don’t get the Januzaj comparisons. Adnan was very mature for his age with a great eye for a pass, while Garnacho is extremely direct and a powerful runner, he reminds me of Federico Chiesa.
I don't think anyone is comparing them. Just using Januzaj as an example of a promising young player who didn't fulfil his potential here, because a lot of people thought he'd make it.

Boondog

Who knows. Looks to me like he's maybe Sancho with dribble threat. So he makes Sancho obsolete on this team.

Also he should be one of the players who really benefits from ten Hag's teaching and development. I think the aggressively-minded players are best for Hagball and will outpace the ones who are not.

Bondi77

My point is that it's not really harmful in and of itself to speculate on a player's potential. If your point is that people shouldn't go overboard, no arguments there. I don't see too much of that going on in this thread tbh but your point is a fair one to make anyway.
Fair enough....I think we are on the same page :)

Flying_Heckfish

So far, he looks to have the tools to step up. But it is very early days.

He's up agaisnt real senior opposition for the left side, but with the current situation with form and injury, there's opportunity.

He's both pacey and unpredictable on the dribble. Very different to our current options out there, which should help him get minutes.

Idxomer

My first impression after his first two starts, he's Dan James territory.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
My first impression after his first two starts, he's Dan James territory.
Wow. I'm not on the hype train or anything but he's already a lot better than James at the basics, like controlling a football.

But for a very good save, he would have had another very important goal today.

Loads of rawness and inconsistency in his game still though, of course.

LARulz

He did well today and was by far our most productive attacking player - whether you think thats say much or not is irrelevant. He at least tried which is more than can be said about the others

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hard to place him. What sort of level of talent was he considered at youth level?

criticalanalysis

He gave us natural width, took on his player when he needed to and passed when he needed to. In the context of the game he wasn't stand out but for a youngster, I thought he did well. Positionally and even productivity wise I thought he looked good; perhaps he could have been more direct and charged at the goal but I don't blame him for trying to provide instead. In games where we control the match, he will be a very good squad option/first teamer even.

Idxomer

I really don't see any resemblance.
James was weak as a feather and relied only on pace, Garnacho seems much stronger on his feet and has good dribbling.
His running style, lack of awareness of his options while dribbling and his passing also doesn't look promising.

It's still early though and 2 games aren't enough, he could show more after getting further experience.

Dinghy

More or less same level as Elanga, neither of them looks good enough at the minute.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Great potential but he clearly has a long way to go.
hmm, that might be true but yet he seems to show at least something unlike many player before him there, Rashford had alsmost two years of shittier games from the left there, Sancho and Elanga had much worse games there too.

It really is relative to judge a performance like this, in the mentioned context, he's done quite well. Doesn't needlessly lose the ball, took his players on when he could, worked his ass. Can't say it was a bad performance for his first league start?