Garnacho: What is his potential?

cyril C

Potentially a WC winner, and we have more than 1 WC winner in our team.

jeepers

Against a better keeper, he might not have scored that goal. A braver, better keeper would have stayed up a bit longer and the shot was straight at him. What impressed me was his touch running at full speed. Did well to take the ball into his stride without slowing down. Let’s see how he keeps it up.

I would say he’s technically better and slightly more consistent than Elanga. Elanga has decent movement off the ball but his touches and finishes are inconsistent, somewhat like Welbeck.

Bondi77

How old was Adnan when he was doing really well in his first season??
RVP said that he was in the top 3 young talents he had seen and where is he now?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I rate him highly. I think he would be a star in future.

If you ask me I prefer his playing style (direct, talented, full of purpose in attack) over the likes of Rashford (great pace with end products but kind of headless chicken at times), Sancho (talented playmaker but too laid back on the pitch), or even Antony (joga bonito kind of talent, exciting to watch, but much of a pointless showpony at times)

Last edited:

wolvored

You have every right to be excited about him. He has the potential to go very far. Kobbie Mainoo is the player I am really excited about.
I dont watch a lot of reserve games but I have family that do and they say Mainoo is the best they have seen age wise. Hes English as well, so easier to keep when the foreign big boys show interest.

bringbackbebe

Problem with the Greenwood comparison is most people who started off like Greenwood at 18, including Greenwood, ruined their careers. Many players who didn't start off like Greenwood did much better. 18 is no age to judge peak talent potential.

We should be happy that an 18 year old exciting prospect is being integrated into our squad with hopefully many others to follow. Not many times it's happened post SAF (Januzaj, Rashford, Greenwood? in 10 years)

Thiagoal

I can see a bit of a young Michael Owen in him. Explosive pace, close dribbling and control and composed finishing! Would be interesting to see him develop up front!

Judas

Open to offers
It's in all his hands how good he can be. There was some dafty in the match day thread a few games ago saying he was nothing special and he rightfully got laughed at. This kid could be special. All down to him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Argentinian Dan James
I really liked James as I felt he was a constant pressing trigger that we badly needed but Garnacho is on a different level technically. If you look at his youth reel from before he got here, this is what he does. Controls the ball on the move, skins the final man and slots the ball away with the same fluid movement. He was one of the best youth players in Spain of that age group. I think he’s genuinely a top prospect that could turn into a leading player if he’s handled right and avoids injuries at crucial windows in his development.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Most talented Academy player since Greenwood which why he's already skipped past the likes of Elanga and Shoretire in the pecking order

Still a long way to go for him to make it - mentions of attitude problems in summer from Erik/Bruno, most probably the usual 'young kid thinks he's already a star' kind of thing

Mickson

Isn't that typical of most young players. Decision making is only Improved with experience??

A few of us may remember a certain R. Giggs being VERY inconsistent with his crossing. Would often hit the front post with a cross when the second runner on the edge of the box was the better option and vice versa.

What I like about Garnacho is his decision making when to cut inside once he's beat the defender. He's very economical with the ball and doesn't overplay it.
It's a common trait and not something I'm OVERLY worried about right now, but some never really get it. Look at Rashford. I've seen plenty of players who have good decision-making from a young age and if we only compare in our own U21, so are players like Mainoo, Hannibal, Laird, Iqbal etc much better in that department.

Someone

Something
The potential is there but you can never really know. He could be a world class star or flop just as easily. It's a good thing we have a top coach now which should help him a lot, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Lentwood

It's really too early to say but purely on first impressions of his limited first team football, I'd say he's unlikely to be a 'Rooney/Ronaldo/Messi' calibre player but could easily be better than Rashford/Sancho BUT he has a long way to go in terms of his development, staying fit and working hard.

The advantage he has is that he has a fantastic coach and coaching team during his key development years...which I'm not sure is something that can be said for some of our other talented young players who broke into the first team post-SAF

Remember the geese

I dont watch a lot of reserve games but I have family that do and they say Mainoo is the best they have seen age wise. Hes English as well, so easier to keep when the foreign big boys show interest.
He's a really big talent in my opinion. Playing in such a key area as well. Definitely! I believe he's been at the club since he was 9.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
With Sancho, Rashford and Anthony all being young players, this kid won't have an easy route to a first team spot. Is there any way they could all be squeezed in? Rashford up top and the other 3 behind him?

Remember the geese

With Sancho, Rashford and Anthony all being young players, this kid won't have an easy route to a first team spot. Is there any way they could all be squeezed in? Rashford up top and the other 3 behind him?
I don't see that being an option really. Sancho could possibly be tried centrally, but Rashford is much better out on the left. We need to spend big on a striker. With Rashford, Sancho and Garnacho competing for a spot on the left, then at some point something may have to give.

DevilRed

I'm actually glad the manager (and senior players) are immediately stamping out any attitude issues with this young man.

We don't want to ever see a greenwood/Ravel/Pogba type situation ever again.

Sometimes these young kids need a humbling or two. Even little things like McT removing his cap in training. Its the type of thing that used to happen when Keano and the like were around. You had to earn your stripes.

jackal&hyde

Super talented and only bad luck with injuries or bad decisions from him can keep him from becoming a very good player. His ability to get past defenders with skill is exceptional.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
With the right attitude and coaching he can shine. I like how every manager we’ve had after fergie have all had there 1 player that they’ve brought through… looks like this could be Ten Hags

Bondi77

To be fair, Januzaj may have been one of the best kids RVP has ever seen. What has happened since is pretty irrelevant.
Isn't this thread supposed to be about posters assessing a young player's potential?
I have given an example of a great player assessing a young talent that he trained alongside and he was way off the mark.
It is just my way of highlighting how pointless these types of threads are.

Strootman's Finger

I'm actually glad the manager (and senior players) are immediately stamping out any attitude issues with this young man.

We don't want to ever see a greenwood/Ravel/Pogba type situation ever again.

Sometimes these young kids need a humbling or two. Even little things like McT removing his cap in training. Its the type of thing that used to happen when Keano and the like were around. You had to earn your stripes.
What's this hat story? I keep seeing references to it.

Remember the geese

Isn't this thread supposed to be about posters assessing a young player's potential?
I have given an example of a great player assessing a young talent that he trained alongside and he was way off the mark.
Who is to say that he was way off the mark though? There's potential and then there's fulfilling that potential. Obviously you could argue that the potential may not have been there in the first place, but who's to say that it wasn't?

Certain players possess specific characteristics that others do not. It's why we rate them higher than their peers and speculate that they may become extra-ordinary. What happens after that involves many different factors, some of which fans aren't privy too.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I think people have very quickly forgotten how special Greenwood was on the pitch. Which may be a good thing given how much of a cnut he was off it.

He'sRaldo

Not for me, I was never that much of a Greenwood fan
Understand what you mean.

Garnacho right out the gate seems to have more tools to be unpredictable to defenses than Greenwood, who was starting to be very one dimensional and easy to contain, especially after defenders sussed him out.

On that basis would definitely rate Garnacho’s potential slightly higher as of right now.

Gazza

Which types of threads are pointless? Discussing young player potential?

I guess it would be easier to ask which threads DO have a point since we're basically just sharing opinions about football.

Sweet Square

Tbh at best he has two seasons to prove his price tag, if he doesn't I can see Ten Hag getting rid.