Garnacho: What is his potential?

MrBest

He only turns 20 in July and ready a first name on the team sheet. It says a lot about his talent but you could argue we have no other options.

He reminds me of a young ronaldo, not in style of play but in mentality and progression. He makes a mistake, it does not seen to phase him, he gets on and tries it again. His game has improved incredibly in a year. Les tricks and just tries to run directly at a player. He's tracking back, his work rate is brilliant, he's getting more and more crosses in, he's getting more chances and now has 5 league goals, I'm sure he can get another 3 or 4 by May.

He's nowhere near the finished article, I think his potential is limitless and I think he can hold a status like a robben, di Maria, giggs. I think no one is like messi or ronaldo, that is a once in a generation although mbappe and haaland may prove that wrong but only time tells. AG just needs to hold his mental state, he keeps quiet, focuses on his family and looks to improve. I'm loving his bromance with Hojlund.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Amad ? 2 years older and yet to make any impact whatsoever on the first team. I like the look of him too but that's just a silly statement.
We'll see in a year or two. It wouldn't be the first time a good 21 year old turns into a great player. And it wouldn't be the first time a promising 19 year old fizzles. I hope both become world class as I think they both have that potential.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Garnacho does not need to be the next Cristiano Ronaldo or George Best to fulfil his potential, as far as I am concerned. Would love for him to reach the overall level of someone like Son Heung-min in years to come; it's a lofty but more achievable target considering his qualities (as long as he keeps working on his craft and maintains a high standard on and off the pitch, instead of resting on ephemeral laurels). Son could have played an important role in Manchester United, Manchester City or Liverpool's illustrious European Cup and Premier League winning teams in a different timeline, no doubt about it. And suited a rigorous, team-oriented approach with his production (average of 18 goals and 10 assists per season at Tottenham), versatility, irrepresable workrate, and tactical appreciation of the game. That profile of player can be invaluable in the modern footballing environment. Son had to work his way up the footballing ladder, whereas Garnacho is already in the most competitive league in the world (and previously trained at Atlético) — so he has a headstart, in certain respects.

CtrlAltDeLigt

It’s almost impossible to say what he’ll turn out to be, he’s 20, gets muscled off too easily to become dominant in a game.

The next couple of years on how he’ll develop physically is of great importance.

Mentally, I would say, he has that instinct and confidence that is rare, the right kind of arrogance. That gives me some hope that he can turn out to be a top 10 in the world.

Tony247

absolute mint player. Can't point a fault at this moment. He is learning pretty quickly too.

Hughes35

Ronaldo talk is stupid IMO. It was clear to me Ronaldo was on a different planet even since the pre-season friendly against Sporting.

Garnacho is special though and it's the most excited I've been about a young player since Ronaldo. I think he could reach Rivery / maybe Robben levels..... And that is a huge huge compliment. Obviously a long long way to go if he ever want's to actually claim that title.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Ronaldo talk is stupid IMO. It was clear to me Ronaldo was on a different planet even since the pre-season friendly against Sporting.

Garnacho is special though and it's the most excited I've been about a young player since Ronaldo. I think he could reach Rivery / maybe Robben levels..... And that is a huge huge compliment. Obviously a long long way to go if he ever want's to actually claim that title.
Ronaldo was a very good player at times in his first three seasons but was also very frustrating.

When there were some reports of him being sold in summer 2006, I don't think many would have been that upset at him departing. Maybe annoyance at the missed potential but not like the upset caused in 2009.

Obviously, opinions changed very quickly after the start to the 06/07 season.

Garnacho is at least on par with that 03 - 05 Ronaldo at the moment. Whether he can have a "breakthrough" campaign at aged 21/22 where he turns a good season into one where he scores 25+ is another question. The ability is certainly there.

Remember the geese

When there were some reports of him being sold in summer 2006, I don't think many would have been that upset at him departing.
Seriously? It was very apparent to me right from the outset that we were watching the future best winger in the world. I fully expected him to become the new Figo. What I didn't know was that he was going to absolutely shatter through the 'top winger' ceiling and become one of the World's greatest ever players.

Red Royal

Ronaldo was a very good player at times in his first three seasons but was also very frustrating.

When there were some reports of him being sold in summer 2006, I don't think many would have been that upset at him departing. Maybe annoyance at the missed potential but not like the upset caused in 2009.

Obviously, opinions changed very quickly after the start to the 06/07 season.

Garnacho is at least on par with that 03 - 05 Ronaldo at the moment. Whether he can have a "breakthrough" campaign at aged 21/22 where he turns a good season into one where he scores 25+ is another question. The ability is certainly there.
Comparing Garnacho to the young Ronaldo is tempting but is not really fair on Garnacho. CR7 was in a much better team with a great manager and everyone around him was firing (Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Ruud etc.)

If he keeps his head screwed on he has a great future ahead of him. The future for him is bright!

pascell

He's played 67 times at the age of 19 and started our last 19 games, he's got a very high ceiling with a lot of good attributes to fine tune.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It’s almost impossible to say what he’ll turn out to be, he’s 20, gets muscled off too easily to become dominant in a game.

The next couple of years on how he’ll develop physically is of great importance.
I was thinking this yesterday. There was a quick break where Onana lumped one up to him but the 2 defenders just blocked him off. If he had muscled them out he’d have been through on goal. Will be good to see him strengthen up a bit - he will potentially become unstoppable!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Mad that anyone is suggesting he can be in the Giggs, Robben, Ronaldo bracket.

I’d be over the moon if he got close to Nani / Mahrez level across his career.

At this point, matching the consistency and output of Saka and Martinelli would be huge.

He’s really talented but there are huge gaps between those sets of players and chucking world class expectations on a 19 year old is mad.

We need consistently great far more than we need occasionally world class. I think he’s got that in him.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Garnacho does not need to be the next Cristiano Ronaldo or George Best to fulfil his potential, as far as I am concerned. Would love for him to reach the overall level of someone like Son Heung-min in years to come; it's a lofty but more achievable target considering his qualities (as long as he keeps working on his craft and maintains a high standard on and off the pitch, instead of resting on ephemeral laurels). Son could have played an important role in Manchester United, Manchester City or Liverpool's illustrious European Cup and Premier League winning teams in a different timeline, no doubt about it. And suited a rigorous, team-oriented approach with his production (average of 18 goals and 10 assists per season at Tottenham), versatility, irrepresable workrate, and tactical appreciation of the game. That profile of player can be invaluable in the modern footballing environment. Son had to work his way up the footballing ladder, whereas Garnacho is already in the most competitive league in the world (and previously trained at Atlético) — so he has a headstart, in certain respects.
This is probably my favourite comparison. If he gets to Son's level (which I think he can), I'll be happy.
He still he so much to learn, dealing with physical players like Udogie for example. Good thing is, he's getting plenty of oppurtunity to learn at the highest level.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If he can somehow add some end product to his game he'll be unstoppable.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I like the attitude and the drive to always work for the team. He has so many technical deficiencies and decision making issues that it's hard to really gauge his ceiling

Irwin99

Worth noting that 19 y/o Ronaldo had a lot of these types of moments where he makes the wrong decision but is determined enough to keep going. With age it will get better I think.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
In my opinion the only thing he lacks is composure. He's hasn't even played 50 premier league games, compared with Saka who is 3 years older and played 100+ games more. Garnacho has plenty of time to mature, is literally our most dangerous player, and will almost certainly get better with age. I could easily see him matching Sakas goals/assists stats in 3 years time, assuming we as a club progress our style of play to be more fluent attacking wise too.

ROFLUTION

It’s like he matured two years in his teamplay the last couple of months. Knows more when to be selfish and when not to be selfish now. Works hard for the team, tracks back. His ceiling could be huge if he adds goals too.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The biggest thing he needs to improve is his first touch. Too often he can't control the ball and he loses it or it ends up for a throw in.

I'm happy with him regarding eveything else. Steadily improving.

Idxomer

If he reaches his maximum potential, then he's probably something between Walcott amd Sanchez.

Red00012

Panics and takes too many touches when he should be shooting sooner but plenty of time to work on that.

Stadjer

He's not come anywhere close to putting in performances that would make anyone think he'll get to Salah's level. Tone it down
Please tell us how Salah was performing at age of 19 for Basel? Who knows how good Garnacho can become but at 19 years old, Salah wasnt the world class version of Salah yet.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
So you agree that it's moronic to suggest he will then?
It would've also been moronic for anyone watching Salah at 19 to think he'd become world class or even when he was at Chelsea.