Gary Neville - Pundit

Tyrion

Anyone on Sky complaining about the super league is a hypocritical idiot.
My thoughts exactly. I think they're just defending their cash cow. If they were guaranteed broadcasting rights for the new league, I suspect they'd change their tune.

SwedishFish

My thoughts exactly. I think they're just defending their cash cow. If they were guaranteed broadcasting rights for the new league, I suspect they'd change their tune.
100 percent they would.

It would be pure gold for them.

DULLAGHAN

Spot on from Gary. 100% agree with all of what he said. I won't step foot inside Old Trafford again if this comes to pass.

cyberman

Has he lined his pockets? I don't think Salford is by any means profitable as things stand and reliant on investment mainly from Peter Lim.
Theyre spending to fly up the leagues and increase the value of the club for an eventual sale.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Bit like saying any United fans complaining about the super league are hypocritical given part of the global success of Manchester United is based around the rebranding of the Premier League.

Let's forget about who or what is hypocritical as you can make loose links and just focus on the messaging here. Clearly Neville is quite passionate about this and I don't think he is motivated by a supposed bottom line from a Salford perspective.

Coops73

Or you know, you can think its a bad idea and still think Neville is a hypocrite. Its not exclusive.
How is he a hypocrite? he acknowledged how he has invested and put money into a club but to take away competition by creating a 1 tier system where you can’t be relegated and have other teams unable to enter this “cashcow” competition is bollocks. He’s a football fan at the heart of things, that much is obvious and I would have commented in another thread if it hadn’t been locked but I stand by what I said.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Has he lined his pockets? I don't think Salford is by any means profitable as things stand and reliant on investment mainly from Peter Lim.
No but to say it’s all about greed is just ignoring the fact it’s always been about money. Why does he think he got paid so much money to kick a ball about? The PL is all about tv rights and making money. Someone has now realised that you could take that money and double it if instead of playing Burnley the top European sides were playing each other. It’s the exact same concept just turned up to 11. I’m against it - I’d prefer it to be done under the CL banner but with positions being earned and the domestic pyramid not undermined - but acting like it’s some great moral outage is just hypocritical. Ask football league clubs what they think of the premier league.

FlawlessThaw

No but to say it’s all about greed is just ignoring the fact it’s always been about money. Why does he think he got paid so much money to kick a ball about? The PL is all about tv rights and making money. Someone has now realised that you could take that money and double it if instead of playing Burnley the top European sides were playing each other. It’s the exact same concept just turned up to 11. I’m against it - I’d prefer it to be done under the CL banner but with positions being earned and the domestic pyramid not undermined - but acting like it’s some great moral outage is just hypocritical. Ask football league clubs what they think of the premier league.
So you're agreeing with him pretty much.

FlawlessThaw

No. I don’t agree with him saying clubs should be relegated for not toeing the corporate uefa line.
Did he say clubs should be relegated? I thought he said deduct points? Think both are too much so I wouldn't agree with him on all matters that's for sure.

David Bartley

Anyone who thinks that this is a good idea for football and then uses Gary Nevilles investment into Salford as a stick to beat their drum with is a cnut.
Spot on. It's a disgusting idea and Gary Neville - and Roy Keane and Micah Richards in the studio - are right. And you don't have to be Jesus in order to criticise a rubbish greedy scam.

Longshanks

It is hilarious when you think about it.

Sky going apesh!t at the idea of a big money breakaway league :lol:
There is a difference though, although the EPL was a breakaway of sorts it is still very entwined with the football league and has relegation to the football league and accepts promotion from.

The idea of a new European super league being a closed book is shameful and goes against everything football is about Sky are no saints by any stretch, but this is on a whole level of greed and power over everything.

I dont think it will happen and I suspect it's a power move by the clubs and nothing more than a hollow threat.

Stig

If this super league goes ahead, will you stop going to OT, when it is allowed again ? Will you stop watching on telly ?

I think that would be the end of it for me.

Comet49

“Chelsea, Man City and others are funded. My point is it was done on the pitch, the Super league would be a closed shop, invitation only access, no hope for clubs like Burnley to play the likes of United and Liverpool, taking away the hope and ambition of fans”

Marwood

The world badly needs better messengers.

Billionaires with the biggest of carbon footprints lecturing us about global warming. Royals speaking about anything. Now Sky employees telling us greed is corrupting football.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I fecking have a love hate relationship with Nev. He's mostly a twat but surely this would benefit his club?

Well fecking said Gary. Bunch of cnuts -- the lot of them.

Flying high

The world badly needs better messengers.

Billionaires with the biggest of carbon footprints lecturing us about global warming. Royals speaking about anything. Now Sky employees telling us greed is corrupting football.

It's unusual for sky presenters to be so bold in their opinions on matters like this. It does stink of them protecting their interests.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
So they want to create a super league in which only certain clubs are in. Why does that sound familiar? Oh right, American Football. Where all the clubs are actually franchises and can be moved if a better deal comes up. I cant believe anyone is looking at this and thinking its good for football or its fans. We could end up not being 'Manchester' United anymore. Moving to some other place that gives the owners a better deal or incentives. feck that.

Ixion

Neville is spot on. Dock points to the five clubs including us.

Matthew84!

Just tell anyone club that wants to break away that their titles will be taken off them and awarded to the next best, I for one wouldn't want to watch utd getting beat by Barcelona or Real Madrid every week,

Fully Fledged

No. I don’t agree with him saying clubs should be relegated for not toeing the corporate uefa line.
You are only pushing it to a head if you do that.
We're kicking you out of the PL.
That's okay we'll leave. Now get people to watch your league without us.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
You are only pushing it to a head if you do that.
We're kicking you out of the PL.
That's okay we'll leave. Now get people to watch your league without us.
Exactly. He also isn’t talking about the crux of the matter: state funded clubs can spend what they want whilst clubs such as Liverpool/United who would earn hundreds of millions more if they controlled their own media revenue have to share it. They tried dealing with that with project restart which was rejected so now they’ve decided to support the European super league.

Zen

Why? Almost all of them will comfortably get work for any channel covering any other breakaway league for probably, more money, since bigger money = more money for all except the fans paying for that.... except oddly, the non ex-footballing presenters who aren't going in too passionately on it.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
It is hilarious when you think about it.

Sky going apesh!t at the idea of a big money breakaway league :lol:
Not sure i follow you. Are we happier with Neville supporting the idea, thus cementing the money and greed link between evil capitalist media outlet and evil capitalist football bosses? Or is it possible for Nev or Keane or whoever to say something sensible in a Sky Sports studio? Having the discussion is still better than not having the discussion, isn't it? Or can we only have the discussion in a Working men's club in Sheffield.?

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
It's unusual for sky presenters to be so bold in their opinions on matters like this. It does stink of them protecting their interests.
I dunno about that. If it happens, no doubt Sky will buy the rights. Nev would then have to resign. Its like Turkey's voting for Christmas. If Sky buy the rights I shall just get rid of Sky sports

Chicharito_

Good from Gary, however it does seem whenever there's a chance he feels he can gain in popularity he really goes into try hard mode. Saw it in politics as well from him, I'm not saying I don't agree with what he is saying it's just something irks me about the way he goes about it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure i follow you. Are we happier with Neville supporting the idea, thus cementing the money and greed link between evil capitalist media outlet and evil capitalist football bosses? Or is it possible for Nev or Keane or whoever to say something sensible in a Sky Sports studio? Having the discussion is still better than not having the discussion, isn't it? Or can we only have the discussion in a Working men's club in Sheffield.?
Back in 1992, Sky were behind a breakaway league.
In 2021, Sky are suddenly against a breakaway league.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Agree with every word. I will never watch United in a Super League. A sub-system that has promotion and relegation... maybe. But probably not.

39. Old Trafford attending Supporter since I was 8.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Good from Gary, however it does seem whenever there's a chance he feels he can gain in popularity he really goes into try hard mode. Saw it in politics as well from him, I'm not saying I don't agree with what he is saying it's just something irks me about the way he goes about it.
No