General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Cannot believe she's said she won't come and debate. She'll get absolutely crucified
she hasn't been doing great in Prime ministers questions, Cameron use to wipe the floor with Corbyn but May has struggled.

So they are probably figuring they wont go, try and appear to be above that kind of thing, as they know that it more likely to hurt them then help them.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
What does that project to in terms of seats? Must be a staggering majority.
21 point win on a uniform swing, with UKIP falling back a little and the Lib Dems going up a bit would result in a ~150 seat majority. Tories on about 400, Labour below 160.

Fully Fledged

Zlatattack

I just said this.

Worth a shot.

See what Michelles up to too.
Could we not try Idris Elba?
He's black, he's charming, The Wire confirmed he knows economics, Luther confirmed his "tough on crime" credentials and if you've seen Beast of no nations, he's an accomplished military leader (kind of).

Also Idris is a Muslim name, that'll rile up the kippers.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Labour might slightly improve their polling if people reluctant to vote for them at the moment decide they're the only likely alternative to the Tories and suck it up and vote for them. But they'll still be beaten comfortably, and even the above is an optimistic scenario for them.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
And with that, I don't think we could ever come to an understanding
Person 1 - "I think tax needs to go down for the £40k earners"
Person 2 - "Jesus Christ, why don't we just scrap income tax completely! Isn't that what you want?! No Government at all!"

Person 3 - "I think tax needs to go up a bit"
Person 4 - "Jesus Christ, why don't we just have 100% tax?! Isn't that what you want? Full on communism! Big Government, total government!?"

Not enough tax is bad. Too much tax is bad. The right amount is probably between 20-50%

After that.... we are all arguing semantics

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Scottish Tories already pulling out the usual shite: Sturgeon will prop up a Corbyn government, and the SNP losing their majority in Holyrood means they have no mandate for a referendum...even though the Greens means there's an...err, Holyrood majority in support of a referendum.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'm not sure why they'd want charges to be announced during an election campaign.

Classical Mechanic

Labour might slightly improve their polling if people reluctant to vote for them at the moment decide they're the only likely alternative to the Tories and suck it up and vote for them. But they'll still be beaten comfortably, and even the above is an optimistic scenario for them.
My position is that Corbyn's labour are done all ends up. This will be a precession for the Tories. I am voting Lib Dem because they best represent my politics at this point in time and I want to see a centrist political movement gain traction in the UK again. My vote will be about the next election and a hard left Labour is not something I have any interest in going forward.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Scottish Tories already pulling out the usual shite: Sturgeon will prop up a Corbyn government, and the SNP losing their majority in Holyrood means they have no mandate for a referendum...even though the Greens means there's an...err, Holyrood majority in support of a referendum.
Was Davidson the leader at the last GE? I forget.

DOTA

Yep, been leader since 2011/2012.
Oh, okay. She went under the radar for a while, then!

My view, knowing little about Scottish politics, is she's made it acceptable to vote Tory, in Scotland, if you are right wing. For the first time since Thatcher.

Is that a credible assumption?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Did you guys learn NOTHING from the Weaste debacle.

How about, rather than outing someone on the caf... we help him hide his identity????

Untied

I'm not sure why they'd want charges to be announced during an election campaign.
Ditto. Would surely be disastrous. Am I missing something here?
Hmm, I guess it means she has preempted questions about the government's legitimacy. Perhaps it looks better to have called an election rather than be pressured into a number of by-elections??

Given May's time as PM it's actually much more likely she called the election without realising there would be embarrassing prosecutions during the campaign. But I find her decision making so hard to read, because it's so often illogical.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Oh, okay. She went under the radar for a while, then!

My view, knowing little about Scottish politics, is she's made it acceptable to vote Tory, in Scotland, if you are right wing. For the first time since Thatcher.

Is that a credible assumption?
Err...somewhat. It's quite complex though. She's definitely quite popular considering her position but it is worth noting her polling figures are only considered to be quite decent because of where her party were before. She's still generally polling numbers lower than what Corbyn gets nationally...and he's being considered a disaster.

I'm personally from a West of Scotland constituency that's a former Labour heartland, so naturally I don't know too many Tories. And I'm relatively youngish too, which only adds to that. A 65+ year old in Dumfries, by contrast, will know many...but again, I'm not sure that's something which wasn't the case before Davidson came in. If anything she's made it mildly more acceptable to be seen as a Tory, but there's still a lot of resentment towards them as a party...and the SNP tend to poll around double their figures or above. But, as I say, I'm basically in the demographic, both geographically and age wise, least likely to vote Tory.

She's definitely seen as credible, though. Which is more than can be said for Rennie or Dugdale.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
More likely this

Can you explain for somebody like me, interested in UK politics but not familiar who CPS is and what it is about election expanses that might have caused May to call for a snap election? Would those charges be put off in case of snap elections? Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
My position is that Corbyn's labour are done all ends up. This will be a precession for the Tories. I am voting Lib Dem because they best represent my politics at this point in time and I want to see a centrist political movement gain traction in the UK again. My vote will be about the next election and a hard left Labour is not something I have any interest in going forward.
The thing about Corbyn though is that he's not really even hard left as such. Just...well, left...unless there's no middle-ground between the centre-left and the genuine hard-left. Back during the leadership contest, Owen Smith struggle to actually accentuate what it was he disagreed on Corbyn with, and ended up just making it look like the party wanted rid of Corbyn because he wasn't their preferred choice.

The problem isn't necessarily with his politics (for the most part, although I do have issues with some of his views) but more so the fact that he lacks any charisma or vision, and has started to come across less as a hard-working champion of the people, and more like an out of touch Londoner who's spent the last 30 odd years just moaning at his own party.

Put someone like Bernie Sanders in and give him positions similar to Corbyn, and he'd be a legitimate threat.

DOTA

Err...somewhat. It's quite complex though. She's definitely quite popular considering her position but it is worth noting her polling figures are only considered to be quite decent because of where her party were before. She's still generally polling numbers lower than what Corbyn gets nationally...and he's being considered a disaster.

I'm personally from a West of Scotland constituency that's a former Labour heartland, so naturally I don't know too many Tories. And I'm relatively youngish too, which only adds to that. A 65+ year old in Dumfries, by contrast, will know many...but again, I'm not sure that's something which wasn't the case before Davidson came in. If anything she's made it mildly more acceptable to be seen as a Tory, but there's still a lot of resentment towards them as a party...and the SNP tend to poll around double their figures or above. But, as I say, I'm basically in the demographic, both geographically and age wise, least likely to vote Tory.

She's definitely seen as credible, though. Which is more than can be said for Rennie or Dugdale.
Do you ever get people spouting Daily Mail type tripe, whilst claiming to hate the Tories?

I'm South coast of England and it's so common.

Put someone like Bernie Sanders in and give him positions similar to Corbyn, and he'd be a legitimate threat.
Don't think we elect people of pension age, to be honest.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Do you ever get people spouting Daily Mail type tripe, whilst claiming to hate the Tories?

I'm South coast of England and it's so common.
Yeah, it's quite common. Not full-on DM vitriol as such, but I tend to find that a lot of people who are centre/left-leaning up here and hate the Tories will have conservative views on some things. Crime being the main one, actually, because it's such an emotive subject.

Don't think we elect people of pension age, to be honest.
Not Sanders himself as such, but just a well-spoken, charismatic politician who genuinely connects with voters outside of a certain bubble. The difference between Sanders and Corbyn as speakers is massive.

kps88

What have I broadcast that violates his privacy? I'm not the one who's created a virtual brand across multiple internet sites.
No one would have bothered digging without your post. Nice cheap shot at someone you don't agree with. I'd clean up all mentions of it in this thread if I were in charge. Would hate for something someone said in here to effect their real world life in any way.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
No one would have bothered digging without your post. Nice cheap shot at someone you don't agree with. I'd clean up all mentions of it in this thread if I were in charge. Would hate for something someone said in here to effect their real world life in any way.
Someone else did the digging well before my post, which is only a bit of advice.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Can you explain for somebody like me, interested in UK politics but not familiar who CPS is and what it is about election expanses that might have caused May to call for a snap election? Would those charges be put off in case of snap elections? Thanks in advance, much appreciated.
Crown Prosecution Services. I don't understand the relevance or what May has to gain though. Surely they'd not postpone any prosecutions.