General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
My local MP in Manchester died in February, he was 80-something. There was supposed to be a by-election, wonder if this means it's cancelled. George Galloway was a candidate :nervous:
I was thinking leaders. We do have a fair few long-standing MP's who are 'not young'.

I really do hope Galloway never gets elected again.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
No one would have bothered digging without your post. Nice cheap shot at someone you don't agree with. I'd clean up all mentions of it in this thread if I were in charge. Would hate for something someone said in here to effect their real world life in any way.
It's been taken way too far this time, agree with all you said, I hope @Niall would do something about it.

DOTA

Meh, at least I respect the poor.
Pretty sure some posts, on this matter, have violated forum rules.

Someone with time to spare probably should do a quick clean-up.

Untied

Crown Prosecution Services. I don't understand the relevance or what May has to gain though. Surely they'd not postpone any prosecutions.
The only gain is that following prosecutions there would be pressure for by-elections in the affected constituencies. A GE possibly lets May/the Tories get in ahead of this.

In reality the timing of the prosecutions is probably something they have overlooked, and which could damage their campaign, contra my original post bringing it up. "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".

Ady87

@sammsky1 I think you are putting up the wrong aspect of your argument as the aim for the criticism you are getting here. Nobody is having a go at you for not voting Labour, or even for considering voting Tory - They are criticising you for some very poorly thought out and over simplified criticisms you have made about people in society who are less fortunate than you. Several posters have openly said they'll be voting Tory out of self interest and nobody has said a word to them. The anger you have generated comes from a viewpoint which comes across as nasty and arrogant.

You have on multiple occasions said you educated yourself. You did not - your parents educated you when they paid for you and your siblings to attend a private school and receive a leg up that the vast majority of society do not receive. You've said it's irrelevant what your parents did for a living, or their circumstances when they moved to the UK but it isn't - It both proves the privileges you were afforded while growing up and (depending on the industry they worked in) could potentially be used to help you understand why helping others helps yourself.

You have also explicitly said you work extremely hard and everybody could enjoy the same wealth you do if they worked as hard. I'm sorry mate but you have 20,000 posts on a Man Utd forum and have been able to spend several hours distracting yourself with political and economical arguments on a Tuesday afternoon - you don't work harder than the nurse who earns less than a third of your salary or as mentioned earlier, the hospital porter who earns half as much again.

All of that aside, I have no doubts you work very hard and earn the lifestyle you enjoy. It's just that the opportunities and luck which has accompanied your hard work has allowed you reach a level which many never will.

There are a million reasons for being poor; from mental illness and depression to poor luck in a business venture. There's work place discrimination or even major life events like unplanned single parent pregnancies or the death of a parent at a young or critical age.

You've said that none of that is your concern but it is. We all benefit from a society which helps those who need helping. The idea that the best and brightest of us will magically be confined to those who have the wealthiest parents or the luckiest circumstances is silly and if you have a business which employs staff, you want a bigger, better range of candidates to recruit from. If you sell commodities to the public, you want more people with more disposable income to spend on those products. If you value living in safety and security, you want less people driven to crime out of despair.
Legit one of the best posts I've ever read on RedCafe.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
sammsky1 is bullying the feckless and bone idle.
Yeah let's assume this is correct, that doesn't make what dwazza is doing ok, he is hurting the guy on a very personal level which we were told wouldn't happen at least by a Mod when we signed up on the forum.

DOTA

So Lib Dems are the Brexit protest vote right?
For now.

Once my glorious MP, Caroline of Lucas, gets in to gear, everything changes (a few people will consider voting Green).

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
The only gain is that following prosecutions there would be pressure for by-elections in the affected constituencies. A GE possibly lets May/the Tories get in ahead of this.

In reality the timing of the prosecutions is probably something they have overlooked, and which could damage their campaign, contra my original post bringing it up. "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Thanks to you too.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah let's assume this is correct, that doesn't make what dwazza is doing ok, he is hurting the guy on a very personal level which we were told wouldn't happen at least by a Mod when we signed up on the forum.
He hasn't even bloody posted anything for crying out loud. Untwist your knickers, they'll be more comfortable.

DOTA

He hasn't even bloody posted anything for crying out loud. Untwist your knickers, they'll be more comfortable.
This is true. Others have posted things that should be deleted, though.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Labour (and the tories and lib dems) would probably let Scotland leave without a referendum if it meant gaining power, a coalition is nothing by comparison.
i think most MP's would let their mothers be mauled by cats if it meant gaining power.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Tories are giving themselves a few more years after Brixit comes into effect. If things don't go well they'll have a few more years to stay in power before going back to the electorate. Mrs May would never have made this decision had Labour been stronger.
Yeah, she has nothing to lose. Which is why Corbyn should oppose the snap election in parliament and then resign immediately after. Labour will be decimated in June as it stands.

Simbo

For now.

Once my glorious MP, Caroline of Lucas, gets in to gear, everything changes (a few people will consider voting Green).
I'd love to vote Green but they need to put forward a coherent case that they know what is involved in running a country. Last I looked, their general policies seemed a bit bizarre to me.

I usually vote Tory and I do like Theresa in general as a PM, I'm just really against Brexit so if there's a chance of showing my frustration with a vote, I need another option. Labour isn't' that option.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
That Great Get Together campaign is going well I see dot dot dot

What a bunch of clowns.

NinjaFletch

For now.

I'd love to vote Green but they need to put forward a coherent case that they know what is involved in running a country. Last I looked, their general policies seemed a bit bizarre to me.

I usually vote Tory and I do like Theresa in general as a PM, I'm just really against Brexit so if there's a chance of showing my frustration with a vote, I need another option. Labour isn't' that option.
Yeah Simbo's issue is my exact problem with them.

That and Caroline Lucas and the Green Party in general seem to have a lot of problems saying 'homeopathy is bullshit'.

Silva

Any policies in particular?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don't wanna unnecessarily upset anyone but I've heard that apparently Dwazza is a real person and has an actual identity.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Can we please put an end to getting involved in any business of posters outside of the Caf. We have previously had a lot of issues.

DOTA

You don't vote Green for coherent policy. They are not going in to government. You vote for them to stand in parliament for things they believe in. Their nonsense budgets are just because they have to write something. In parliament they will stand for young people, LGBT people, climate issues and anti-brexit.

Vote Green (unless you are in a Tory marginal where the Green's can't win)!

There is a reason I don't accept the Green Party's requests for me to campaign for them...

kps88

Meh. I'd like to think the next time I post something people don't agree with, the response wouldn't be "guys google kps88, his real life identity is easy to find". It should be nothing to do with this forum.

Simbo

Any policies in particular?
Can't remember, probably on the economy as that tends to be my most important issue (environment & progression not far behind). I'll have another look at them before the polls of course.

Maybe someone more clued up should start a Greens thread :)