General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Silva

In practical terms, it never was 7p per child. And as i recall, the Indy story led off with a headline implying that the entire policy had been scrapped.

Given the economic restraint present in the Conservative manifesto, i wouldn't have supposed there to be a need to contrive such stories.
They're so economically restrained they didn't cost the manifesto. What a crock of shit.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Other than the fact the pound would probably fall off a cliff, it would be very interesting to see how it all worked itself out.

The English votes for English laws thing would be all you'd hear from the Tories, quicker than you can say 'constitutional crisis'.
An English Parliament more like. It's an issue which Labour has a total blind spot on at present.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They're so economically restrained they didn't cost the manifesto. What a crock of shit.
:lol: So economically restrained that despite all of their cuts they still can't reduce our National debt. They're either economically restrained or fecking terrible at economics.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
The tories would be disarray so who cares? That's just the way it goes, the party out of power is always busy infighting and being shit. There would be plenty of "Why are the SNP voting on OUR GOD DAMN LAWS" from the daily mail, but the only difference to now would be the frequency they say it at.
I forget what the fudge was that the Tories brought in a couple of years ago... aren't Scottish MPs excluded from voting on English/Welsh bills, or there needs to be a majority of English/Welsh votes as well as an overall majority?

Anyone want to check? I guess Parliament could just use a standard majority to change the rules back anyway?

Silva

I forget what the fudge was that the Tories brought in a couple of years ago... aren't Scottish MPs excluded from voting on English/Welsh bills, or there needs to be a majority of English/Welsh votes as well as an overall majority?

Anyone want to check?
They also brought in the fixed parliaments act, and scrapped it when it suited them. Labour and SNP would likely do the same.

Fully Fledged

The tories would be disarray so who cares? That's just the way it goes, the party out of power is always busy infighting and being shit. There would be plenty of "Why are the SNP voting on OUR GOD DAMN LAWS" from the daily mail, but the only difference to now would be the frequency they say it at.
Wasn't the Mail against Scottish Independence?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
They also brought in the fixed parliaments act, and scrapped it when it suited them. Labour and SNP would likely do the same.
Theu haven't actually scrapped that. Its just misnamed

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Is this something youd like Nick?
Well we certainly can't put the devolution genie back in the bottle, and the present system is a mess. An even distribution of powers across the home nations would, hopefully, solidify the United Kingdom too. I would also like to see the local referenda idea promoted, at the council/borough level. Labour talks about the 'regions' but rarely England, it is as if they are afraid of the mere concept.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
:lol: So economically restrained that despite all of their cuts they still can't reduce our National debt. They're either economically restrained or fecking terrible at economics.
Depends how you measure it. The deficit has come down, but low income growth is screwing it up a bit.
From the IFS.

The thinktank found that while tax revenues had improved and were forecast to continue growing, there had also been a rise in public spending against the backdrop of a long and sluggish economic recovery.

“The deficit is now roughly back to the level it was prior to the financial crisis, although is still above its long-run average. On the tax side, the impact on the public finances of substantial tax cuts has been more than outweighed by tax raising measures,” said Carl Emmerson, deputy director of the IFS and author of the report.

“On the spending side, seven years of austerity has seen significant cuts to areas such as working-age benefits and public order and safety. But despite this, overall public spending remains slightly above its pre-crisis share of the economy.

“This is due to persistently poor economic growth and an increase in the share of national income devoted to health, pensioner benefits and overseas aid.”

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Id be quite happy if you lot gave NI up..just say the feckin word pal!
The object would be one of prolonging the union, so i'll pass thanks. Should the citizens of Northern Ireland at some point vote to leave...well that's a different kettle of fish.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Just watched the QT from last night. I don't agree with Corbyn about nukes but I'm furious that his campaign team haven't come up with a clear position for him on this issue which was obviously going to come up during the campaign. He looked weak and evasive on a question where he should have been able to look strong and principled. It was a sad reflection of the pre-election Corbyn that had so many of us worried. I really hope his team get on this ASAP and don't allow a moment like that to happen again before the vote.

rcoobc

Well we certainly can't put the devolution genie back in the bottle, and the present system is a mess. An even distribution of powers across the home nations would, hopefully, solidify the United Kingdom too. I would also like to see the local referenda idea promoted, at the council/borough level. Labour talks about the 'regions' but rarely England, it is as if they are afraid of the mere concept.
But what would the uk parliament control? Should we cut it down from 650 to say, 100, if they sre going to have severly limited powers?

Minimalist

For me, increasingly it's less about Corbyn and Labour and (as some of us expected) just how intellectually poor May and her party comes across. Die hard conservatives and Brexiteers won't care but for those in the middle, it seems a lot of them have been put off by her since she called it.

That exchange with the nurse in particular was fecking shameful - how in God's name May got to be leader is beyond me, she genuinely needs a public speaking course or something. She doesn't even have the intelligence nor the wit to talk around the issue (to get herself out of it).

Minimalist

Antonio Valencia disagrees. More people like Antonio Valencia than the leave campaign. Done.
That is fecking ridiculous if true in all seriousness (Valencia can't speak English). Fecking rude beyond anything else.

Sigma

That is fecking ridiculous if true in all seriousness (Valencia can't speak English). Fecking rude beyond anything else.
Nah, I'm sure he can speak/understand it to a decent level. I just think he's a shy guy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Apparently he didn't have a great education growing up in Ecuador. I wouldn't judge him to harshly if I was you.

rcoobc

That exchange with the nurse in particular was fecking shameful - how in God's name May got to be leader is beyond me, she genuinely needs a public speaking
Read that as 'public spanking' :nervous:
Also has Labour + SNP on 308. Tories alone on 308.

And in which case, the Lib Dems 10 seats wouldn't give either group a majority :lol:

Assuming their modelling is in anyway accurate, this country is right on a knife edge

Raulduke

Assuming their modelling is in anyway accurate, this country is right on a knife edge
DUP vs Sinn Fein as the king makers :nervous:

Minimalist

Apparently he didn't have a great education growing up in Ecuador. I wouldn't judge him to harshly if I was you.
Well look I'm not privy to his background, I just know he's been in England working for 10+ years. If he's got exceptional circumstances that's fine. I'm merely pointing out that in general, people in that scenario should have learnt the language by now and be speaking it. As another poster already said, it's likely not true anyway.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

And in which case, the Lib Dems 10 seats wouldn't give either group a majority :lol:

Can tell the election bods on twitter are dreading that result more than anything else :lol:

rcoobc

Sinn Fein wont go to Westminster.
So assuming they got 4 seats again, and taking out the speaker, thats 5 seats gone.

323 needed for a majority.

Tories 307 + Lib Dems 10 = 317 ...... only 6 away
Labour 261 + SNP 47 + Lib Dems 10 + Plaid Cymru 2 + Green 1 = 321 ..... still 2 away

Who on earth knows how this is going to go

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It's surely got to be Tory minority and another election in three months or so, if that happens?

EDIT - Or we just accept this democracy thing isn't working and return to absolute monarchy.