General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sweet Square

Key phrase is "long term". Seven years isn't long enough to vanquish the damage Labour have done. By 2022 we'll be above Greece.
I was having real doubts about my new tech start up - Magic Beans Inc. but this election has really gave me the push to carry on. But really it's sad how easily blaming the former Labour government trick works.

T_Model101

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
You do know that the deficit has gone up over the last 7 years right? Tories give tax cuts for the top 5% that increases the debt.
You realise the size of the annual deficit is decreasing and decreasing from a high Labour induced position? Yes this does mean the total deficit is still increasing but at a slower rate than would otherwise be the case.

Tax cuts for the top 5% is not as black and white as it seems. Cuts to tax percentage at the top end can actually increase tax income. Rich people are financially free, thus if you make it cheaper to do business you will encourage businesses to the UK, hence the talk of cutting corporation tax.

Also, people are less likely to invest in complicated tax avoidance which costs a ton of cash to financial advisers and requires expensive maintenance.

As a simple example better to pay £10 tax and £10 financial advice/ restructuring than £25 tax, but at under £20 may as well pay the tax. Overly simplified, but you get the idea!

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I think i can see us going through anotger GE in october. It is possible that nobody could get the numbers required to pass a budget

montpelier

From May's point of view, if there was no brexit I'm not entirely convinced she would gamble on an election. Better 3/4 years a primeminster than 1! Would you take that gamble and have no real tenure for your CV so to speak?

I think the u turns were a few oversights on policies that weren't considered. I'd say it's effective she's listened and adapted. This is strong for negotiation.

Don't underestimate the importance of Brexit and all it entails. There are a lot of big businesses planning their futures around the vote. I know as I was working for a law firm in the city who were dealing with most of the top companies. Believe me Brexit is a massive deal that could impact the UK for many years to come. Big businesses don't move HQs lightly.

Your desire on brexit fits with the remainers profile. That's not what Labour are offering. That's a pipe dream that they can state as an aim as currently no worry of actually having to deliver it and easy to say oops we didn't get the deal.
conversely though - re your last para, Tories (altho they are actually saying nothing) are hinting that they block the free movement OK & withdraw from ECHR, but then be told to piss off out of the single market in retaliation & calling that a negotiation (and the will of the people) despite the fact that no negotiating will have been done because it's all inevitable. Also they are claiming (by evasion) that something else might happen taht's different to this when it can't really.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool

It really is amazing how the tory get away with it.
Well that is not overly simplified at all! You do realise relatively modest growth from a high point is still better than massive growth from a low point. The UK has been in fairly decent shape in the tory reign. Unemployment is historically low.

Also, there is no question low growth will be impacted by brexit. The fact we have any growth is amazing when most businesses are considering leaving. Why do you think London house prices have stagnated. Brexit is terrible for business.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
conversely though - re your last para, Tories (altho they are actually saying nothing) are hinting that they block the free movement OK & withdraw from ECHR, but then be told to piss off out of the single market in retaliation & calling that a negotiation (and the will of the people) despite the fact that no negotiating will have been done because it's all inevitable. Also they are claiming (by evasion) that something else might happen taht's different to this when it can't really.
Truth is outcome is likely to be similar whoever does the negotiating! Controlling immigration is a big desire for brexit which doesn't complement free movement of labour so the whole thing is a bit of game playing marketing.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Well that is not overly simplified at all! You do realise relatively modest growth from a high point is still better than massive growth from a low point. The UK has been in fairly decent shape in the tory reign. Unemployment is historically low.

Also, there is no question low growth will be impacted by brexit. The fact we have any growth is amazing when most businesses are considering leaving. Why do you think London house prices have stagnated. Brexit is terrible for business.
7 years since Tories took power. 10 years since the Financial Crisis.
  • They have never ran a balanced budget
  • The Bank of England have been quantitative easing since 2009, producing a bubble of growth.
  • We sit at 90% Debt to GDP
Great job

montpelier

Truth is outcome is likely to be similar whoever does the negotiating! Controlling immigration is a big desire for brexit which doesn't complement free movement of labour so the whole thing is a bit of game playing marketing.
If people believe that, they can swap sides quite easily away from Conservative = Best Brexit then, as you said I think.

But it does mean that Theresa saying Theresa will do best is rather disingenuous.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
I'm not saying the crash wouldn't have happened if Tories were in power. That would be ridiculous. I'm saying Tories are tighter on purse strings, which leaves the government debt better controlled and reduces the swings of boom and bust.
Thatch was all about boom and bust. Hate to say it but look at her borrowing record too. They are only tight on the poors purse strings.

The labour govt had to bail out reckless bankers, probably tory bankers too.

Untied

Me too. Weather has gone nice now.

They should put that info on the polling card or something. Might reduce the hostility towards them.
I don't think anyone should be rude to anyone else, but I don't like tellers at all. They normally present themselves as a required part of the process, at least at the polling stations I have visited. In my experience people are more likely to naively assume they are required to give their voter number to the teller rather than give them abuse or hostility for asking for it.

Plus that note claims they are 'part of the democratic process' which isn't at all true.

Fully Fledged

So we'd remain in the single market, and continue both FoM and the primacy of the ECJ. Throw in signifiant annual contributions and one wonders how that is Brexit of any sort.
Brexit was a vote on whether we stay in or leave the EU. There was no vote on what that would mean. Carrying on exactly as we were only outside the EU would technically fulfill the requirement. If they wanted to be more specific they should have stated it in the vote.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Countries used to borrow money to fight wars, paying it back when the war was over. The Thatcher/Reagan era was the start of government borrowing at a time when there was no existential threat. It has continued ever since. Austerity is the right thing to do, but the reason for it is to cut the debt. What's happened, however, is that the Tories have slowed down the amount that the government is borrowing, while cutting vital services and making people suffer. And the debt has doubled. The country is, in reality, bankrupt.

Fully Fledged

Theresa wants less parliamentary opposition to her Brexit path, Fledge

Specifically she wants an easy Commons win on any vote that might be proposed around it ---> Final deal, a vote on having a vote on the Final deal, 2nd referendum rebellion, increased security around wheat fields...

stuff like that
At least we now know how crop circles are formed.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Countries used to borrow money to fight wars, paying it back when the war was over. The Thatcher/Reagan era was the start of government borrowing at a time when there was no existential threat. It has continued ever since. Austerity is the right thing to do, but the reason for it is to cut the debt. What's happened, however, is that the Tories have slowed down the amount that the government is borrowing, while cutting vital services and making people suffer. And the debt has doubled. The country is, in reality, bankrupt.
Austerity was a terrible thing to do. It's basically removing money from the economy, which surprisingly enough makes the economy weaker than it would otherwise be. This was a time to borrow to invest, you can pay off the debt once things are booming again.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Well that is not overly simplified at all!.
Every argument that you make is over simplified nonsense. The last labour government ran modest deficits, nothing out of the ordinary. The global financial crisis caused by untamed capitalism, the type cheered for by the Tories, caused the big deficit.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Not an election day without stories of people being turned away from voting. Hopefully it gets resolved quick sharpish.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

Fully Fledged

You realise the size of the annual deficit is decreasing and decreasing from a high Labour induced position? Yes this does mean the total deficit is still increasing but at a slower rate than would otherwise be the case.

Tax cuts for the top 5% is not as black and white as it seems. Cuts to tax percentage at the top end can actually increase tax income. Rich people are financially free, thus if you make it cheaper to do business you will encourage businesses to the UK, hence the talk of cutting corporation tax.

Also, people are less likely to invest in complicated tax avoidance which costs a ton of cash to financial advisers and requires expensive maintenance.

As a simple example better to pay £10 tax and £10 financial advice/ restructuring than £25 tax, but at under £20 may as well pay the tax. Overly simplified, but you get the idea!
Labour had 1 bad year(2009) The Tories had 5 years after that where the deficit was higher than Labours's bad year. The last 2 years are not down to the Labour figures in the 3 years prior to 2009.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
7 years since Tories took power. 10 years since the Financial Crisis.
  • They have never ran a balanced budget
  • The Bank of England have been quantitative easing since 2009, producing a bubble of growth.
  • We sit at 90% Debt to GDP
Great job
And yet still a ton of cuts, imagine how bad it could be? Maybe you are looking at the wrong party to blame

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
If people believe that, they can swap sides quite easily away from Conservative = Best Brexit then, as you said I think.

But it does mean that Theresa saying Theresa will do best is rather disingenuous.
I meant o

Well yes and no, strength of position is also important so a stronger government will help, as takes away some of the noise from negotiation.

And also depends who you believe is a stronger candidate for negotiations.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
2006/7/8 are all less than any year since the Tories took office.
Your assertion was that the deficit had increased over the past seven years.

Brexit was a vote on whether we stay in or leave the EU. There was no vote on what that would mean. Carrying on exactly as we were only outside the EU would technically fulfill the requirement. If they wanted to be more specific they should have stated it in the vote.
I remember the debates quite well, and on no single occasion did the official Leave campaign promote what you advocate. I think you know full well that such a course as you suggest is designed to suit your personal agenda, more than it represents the spirit of the result.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Thatch was all about boom and bust. Hate to say it but look at her borrowing record too. They are only tight on the poors purse strings.

The labour govt had to bail out reckless bankers, probably tory bankers too.
The banking crisis required a bailout whoever was in power. That side of things can't be blamed either way, aside from the general lack of controls put in place pre crisis.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I remember the debates quite well, and on no single occasion did the official Leave campaign promote what you advocate. I think you know full well that such a course as you suggest is designed to suit your personal agenda, more than it represents the spirit of the result.
How about a referendum on the terms after the Brexit negotiation is complete then? Just to make sure the British people are getting what they actually wanted.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Every argument that you make is over simplified nonsense. The last labour government ran modest deficits, nothing out of the ordinary. The global financial crisis caused by untamed capitalism, the type cheered for by the Tories, caused the big deficit.
The last Labour government were in arguably the biggest boom cycle the world has seen with the boom of the Internet.