General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
And your justification is why the whole government process is inherently flawed. It's always about the here and now. Tony Blair's labour government spent too much money when the economy was booming. There was no saving, no contingency, so when the banking crash came there was no pot to turn to and instead a dramatic increase in the government debt and with this interest payments.

Or put simply Labour's short term thinking has resulted in many years of the downside in NHS being much harsher now.

So Conservatives look like they are in the wrong, but they are trying to fix the mess so eventually a steady level of service can be provided at optimal levels without money wasted on interest payments.

If Labour spend spend spend now, again this will only result in an even bigger down swing
Appreciate the reply, especially given the volume of people having a pop at your post which I didn't think was fair (each allowed to their opinion after all).

I have to reject your notion of my post being short termism though because NHS funding is exactly the opposite. It will always grow and will always be there until problems are fixed. The longer the problems remain and are allowed to worsen, the longer it takes to fix it. No party will want to be the one to take the NHS agenda out of a political manifesto however only the Labour party are making an accountable pledge to address key measures that affect us all each and every day. Therefore suggesting that Labour's previous borrowing and spending across the board previously led to a lack of funding being available thereafter is a very weak counter that is inherently flawed and barely worth raising for aforementioned reasons.

I won't repeat myself as I made my point on NHS constitutional standards being abysmal right now and again, I'm not seeking to have a pop at you or your views, I'm just attempting to offer a different perspective considering my experience of dealing with these very issues each and every day in my job within the NHS.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
And your justification is why the whole government process is inherently flawed. It's always about the here and now. Tony Blair's labour government spent too much money when the economy was booming. There was no saving, no contingency, so when the banking crash came there was no pot to turn to and instead a dramatic increase in the government debt and with this interest payments.

Or put simply Labour's short term thinking has resulted in many years of the downside in NHS being much harsher now.

So Conservatives look like they are in the wrong, but they are trying to fix the mess so eventually a steady level of service can be provided at optimal levels without money wasted on interest payments.

If Labour spend spend spend now, again this will only result in an even bigger down swing
You're spouting nonsense

Smores

Voted for the little its worth. Labour were 22% here last time. Lower than UKIP

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
This is frustratingly true, which leaves me as a centrist disappointed, but still taking an economic stance to support Conservatives as truly believe they are better at getting and winning business and controlling spiralling costs and interest payments. I e. Conservatives are more like CEOs, Labour are more like the Secretary in charge of the Xmas budget, will always look for a way to squeeze a few more budgets just to make everyone at the party happy, but then wonders why there is no Xmas party the next year!
You seem to believe there's never been a recession under the Tories, standard condescending bollocks

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Do you have to stay outside or is just a myth you're not allowed to display them?

Its an odd thing but sharing data with strangers feels wrong :lol:
You stayed outside. It's really nothing to do with the election process, it's just convenient info-gathering for the candidates.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Lady outside, who I imagine was a teller, asked to see my polling card. Is that normal?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Thought so. She seemed nice enough, and had a Green rosette on, so I was happy enough to oblige.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I voted about 1pm. A guy with a Libdem rosette asked for my polling number, so I gave him it. I didn't know about tellers, as I hadn't been asked for it previously, but I thought "He's libdem, what's the worst he's gonna do with it?"

I always vote very quickly, straight in, straight out, but I did notice there was a handful of others in the polling station while I was there. Unfortunately, not queues of students :(

Really hoping Labour pulls this one out of the bag, since they came 3rd last time and the Libdems have been bombarding the electorate with leaflets saying "It's between us and the Tories, don't vote Labour."

The things that swung it for me were the Corbyn factor and how he seems to have galvanised the Labour vote, plus the fact that the Libdems have won this seat in the past in no small part due to Labour voters voting for them tactically to keep the Tories out. Local Facebook groups and pages seem to bear this out. I see it as a fight between red and blue now.

Fully Fledged

This was a gamble on May's part. The European conversations were clearly challenging and the momentum seemed to be behind Labour so she figured now would be a good time to cement here position in the strongest possible way. Reality frustratingly is many of our population are too stupid to understand this and having voted Brexit are now trying to damage our outcome by voting Labour.
No I meant that there wouldn't be a vote on Brexit if they hadn't called for it. We wouldn't be pulling out of the EU if the Tories hadn't called the referendum.

I don't think that the call for a general election had anything to do with Brexit I think it was all about increasing the majority that the Tories had and the length of her tenure as PM. Labout infighting caused the General election.

As for damaging our outcome by voting Labour. Since she has called the election every time somebody has disagreed with May's opinion she's changed her mind and done a U-Turn. Heaven for bid she actually gets around to negotiating with the leaders of the EU they will eat her alive.

The thing is we are voting on a leader for 5 years not just somebody to negotiate Brexit (which the Tories called for). We need someone with a strong manifesto. We don't know what the Tory manifesto is we here platitudes about strong and stable rather than content. Labour has produced a manifesto I can get behind so I voted for the next 5 years.

What do I want with Brexit anyway. Stay in the Common Market, Keep workers rights allow me to move freely throughout Europe. That's what Labour are offering so my views mesh with them.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Appreciate the reply, especially given the volume of people having a pop at your post which I didn't think was fair (each allowed to their opinion after all).

I have to reject your notion of my post being short termism though because NHS funding is exactly the opposite. It will always grow and will always be there until problems are fixed. The longer the problems remain and are allowed to worsen, the longer it takes to fix it. No party will want to be the one to take the NHS agenda out of a political manifesto however only the Labour party are making an accountable pledge to address key measures that affect us all each and every day. Therefore suggesting that Labour's previous borrowing and spending across the board previously led to a lack of funding being available thereafter is a very weak counter that is inherently flawed and barely worth raising for aforementioned reasons.

I won't repeat myself as I made my point on NHS constitutional standards being abysmal right now and again, I'm not seeking to have a pop at you or your views, I'm just attempting to offer a different perspective considering my experience of dealing with these very issues each and every day in my job within the NHS.
I'm talking relatively by the way. Of course costs go up, as demand does, but it's impossible to deny that interest payments is wasted money. The same reason people don't like the Glazers. The difference is the NHS can't just create a new sponsorship deal every few days like the Glazers seem to do.

By the way, the NHS is also a bottomless pit. I have a friend who wrote a PhD that concluded that more money to the NHS didn't necessarily mean better outcomes. You get a rise in pointless visits, a population that is too drugged is ironically more susceptible to viruses as they evolve through the drugs. I didn't get a chance to read it, but he just mentioned some of the basics.

Also, sometimes you have to squeeze hard to iron out inefficiencies.

I can't question your feeling on the ground, but just saying don't take it as clear as black and white. Some people attack Conservatives with no understanding about what they are trying to achieve and why they do what they do. It sometimes feels like people view conservatives as the dark side, but much of what they do is based on economic stability and efficiency long term. Hence the strong and stable message.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
You seem to believe there's never been a recession under the Tories, standard condescending bollocks
I'm not saying the crash wouldn't have happened if Tories were in power. That would be ridiculous. I'm saying Tories are tighter on purse strings, which leaves the government debt better controlled and reduces the swings of boom and bust.

Smores

I convinced myself i wasnt staying up for this one but i can already sense i definitely will end up doing so :lol:

Sweet Square

I'm talking relatively by the way. Of course costs go up, as demand does, but it's impossible to deny that interest payments is wasted money. The same reason people don't like the Glazers. The difference is the NHS can't just create a new sponsorship deal every few days like the Glazers seem to do.

By the way, the NHS is also a bottomless pit. I have a friend who wrote a PhD that concluded that more money to the NHS didn't necessarily mean better outcomes. You get a rise in pointless visits, a population that is too drugged is ironically more susceptible to viruses as they evolve through the drugs. I didn't get a chance to read it, but he just mentioned some of the basics.

Also, sometimes you have to squeeze hard to iron out inefficiencies.

I can't question your feeling on the ground, but just saying don't take it as clear as black and white. Some people attack Conservatives with no understanding about what they are trying to achieve and why they do what they do. It sometimes feels like people view conservatives as the dark side, but much of what they do is based on economic stability and efficiency long term. Hence the strong and stable message.

It really is amazing how the tory get away with it.

Smores

I'm not saying the crash wouldn't have happened if Tories were in power. That would be ridiculous. I'm saying Tories are tighter on purse strings, which leaves the government debt better controlled and reduces the swings of boom and bust.
Any real proof of that? Apart from them saying thats the case

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Thats not true historically nor specifically with regards to the Blair/Brown governments, until the crash.

Fully Fledged

They're different to the ones in the polling station. The ones outside some polling stations are to gauge turnout. I've never seen one personally. Think they're used more in marginal seats.
But you still don't need to take a polling card in fact it is written clearly on the card that you don't need to bring it.

Fully Fledged

You do know that the deficit has gone up over the last 7 years right? Tories give tax cuts for the top 5% that increases the debt.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
No I meant that there wouldn't be a vote on Brexit if they hadn't called for it. We wouldn't be pulling out of the EU if the Tories hadn't called the referendum.

I don't think that the call for a general election had anything to do with Brexit I think it was all about increasing the majority that the Tories had and the length of her tenure as PM. Labout infighting caused the General election.

As for damaging our outcome by voting Labour. Since she has called the election every time somebody has disagreed with May's opinion she's changed her mind and done a U-Turn. Heaven for bid she actually gets around to negotiating with the leaders of the EU they will eat her alive.

The thing is we are voting on a leader for 5 years not just somebody to negotiate Brexit (which the Tories called for). We need someone with a strong manifesto. We don't know what the Tory manifesto is we here platitudes about strong and stable rather than content. Labour has produced a manifesto I can get behind so I voted for the next 5 years.

What do I want with Brexit anyway. Stay in the Common Market, Keep workers rights allow me to move freely throughout Europe. That's what Labour are offering so my views mesh with them.
From May's point of view, if there was no brexit I'm not entirely convinced she would gamble on an election. Better 3/4 years a primeminster than 1! Would you take that gamble and have no real tenure for your CV so to speak?

I think the u turns were a few oversights on policies that weren't considered. I'd say it's effective she's listened and adapted. This is strong for negotiation.

Don't underestimate the importance of Brexit and all it entails. There are a lot of big businesses planning their futures around the vote. I know as I was working for a law firm in the city who were dealing with most of the top companies. Believe me Brexit is a massive deal that could impact the UK for many years to come. Big businesses don't move HQs lightly.

Your desire on brexit fits with the remainers profile. That's not what Labour are offering. That's a pipe dream that they can state as an aim as currently no worry of actually having to deliver it and easy to say oops we didn't get the deal.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
So we'd remain in the single market, and continue both FoM and the primacy of the ECJ. Throw in signifiant annual contributions and one wonders how that is Brexit of any sort.

montpelier

Theresa wants less parliamentary opposition to her Brexit path, Fledge

Specifically she wants an easy Commons win on any vote that might be proposed around it ---> Final deal, a vote on having a vote on the Final deal, 2nd referendum rebellion, increased security around wheat fields...

stuff like that