General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
As a life long Labour voter, member up until October last year I have to vote Lib Dem. Have to. Only party standing on an unequivocally pro-EU, anti-hard brexit platform.
Same. I simply have no other option because I don't believe Corbyn cares about hard or soft brexit. he hates the EU. Always have and always will.

muller

Just get someone from Labour to stand up infront of a bus that says

"Vote for us and you'll get £1m each and a free puppy and it will always be sunny and 28 degrees celsius"

Blatant lying won brexit, might as well capture the idiot audience again.

(disclaimer : not everyone who voted for brexit was an idiot. However the majority of those who did were people who had no idea about what they were voting for)

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Depends who you are. The speech seems to have gone down well with the brexit junkies.
But she needs to sway the non-Brexit junkies, doesn't she? I admit that I'm biased but I didn't see anything what could persuade people.

Content-wise, no single argument why she has the best negotiation plan, just a claim. No attempt to reach out to soft Brexiteers or Remainers.
She was just blaming others to obstruct but didn't make any argument why Tories are the best option.

She didn't speak freely but read out loud in a bloodless manner, with obvious false, made up emphasis.

She does come across like a 19th century gouverness who speaks to clueless, naive children.

Therefore, I stand by my impression - uninspired, hollow bollocks - and add that I doubt this will sway soft Brexiteers or Remainers.

If Corbyn wasn't such a lousy Labour candidate ...

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
As someone who strongly dislikes Corbyn do you reckon Brexit as an issue will override any concerns on Corbyn?

I can't see many voting on any other issue than Brexit terms.
I think it'll remain the overwhelmingly dominant issue, which is Corbyn's biggest problem as he doesn't have any solid footing on it. He'll attempt to turn the conversation to social and economic justice issues that he sounds more comfortable on. Tories will focus ruthlessly on Brexit, the economy and leadership as per.
The Lib Dems are the worst. Firstly, they have no chance of even becoming the second largerst party. All they're doing is trying to gain votes on the back of Brexit discontent. It's political la la land.
They're a meh party generally, but for people that can't vote in effect for Corbyn and McDonnell to run the executive, they're one of the few choices left.

Kag

What good is it voting for the Lib Dems? The concept of a revote is barmy and the Brexit process is well underway.

Labour will take a hit but if it means the end of Corbyn and a fresh face to revitalise the party then so be it. Labour might have to lose to win, in an awful sort of way.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
The Lib Dems are the worst. Firstly, they have no chance of even becoming the second largerst party. All they're doing is trying to gain votes on the back of Brexit discontent. It's political la la land.
It seems like they might be quite successful in being the only anti-Brexit party, which is not actually worth anything because in being so they will only end up being the 2nd biggest party at best and still be incapable of actually stopping Brexit. It seems on the surface a complete waste of the vote and as someone who has just finished being a student I can't say I look upon the Lib Dems very favourably anyway.

Rory 7

Basically the 'left' in Britain needs to get behind a campaign with a single emotive message - "Don't Get Fooled Again" would be my play. Of course, 'the left' can't agree on anything can it?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What good is it voting for the Lib Dems? The concept of a revote is barmy and the Brexit process is well underway.

Labour will take a hit but if it means the end of Corbyn and a fresh face to revitalise the party then so be it. Labour might have to lose to win, in an awful sort of way.
I think you answered your own question

Smores

A vote for Lib Dem in most constituencies will be a vote for the Tories and hard brexit.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What an absolute shambles this country is at the minute. Complete self destruct mode.

devilish

Basically the 'left' in Britain needs to get behind a campaign with a single emotive message - "Don't Get Fooled Again" would be my play. Of course, 'the left' can't agree on anything can it?
It will have the same effect of David Moyes re-applying to the United job using pretty much that same emotive message.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Same. I simply have no other option because I don't believe Corbyn cares about hard or soft brexit. he hates the EU. Always have and always will.
If you really don't want the Tories to win the smart thing would be to vote for the opposition party that is most likely to win the seat in your area. No point voting Lib Dems if they have no chance of winning the seat.

That's what i'll be doing anyway, provided the opposition isn't UKIP or some other rw loon.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Hope those young Labour voters will get out of bed and vote this time instead of debating on social media
It's feckign well not true

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...eople-referendum-turnout-brexit-twice-as-high
  • It was reported that 36% of young people voted (by Sky News). This was repeated by politicians, news organisations and the man in the pub.
  • The true figure was likely around 65%
  • Of which 70% voted against brexit.
Fecking Sky news using data from the 2015 general election

Now also remember that young people are likely not at a fixed address. No one can afford a house. Many are at University. Many have never voted before. Some will have polling cards send to a former address.

They voted, they cared. Lies were told.

NinjaFletch

A vote for Lib Dem in most constituencies will be a vote for the Tories and hard brexit.
As opposed to a vote for Soft Brexit and Labour?

I think the most some of us can hope for is a Pro-European party getting a high share of the votes even if they don't win that many seats.

God our political landscape is bleak.

devilish

Never miss a chance to make a United bashing post @devilish.
Actually it was a bash against JC. He reminds me of Alfred Sant a Maltese politician who kept the Maltese labour party in opposition for 2 decades. He's a nice lad and all but he's unelectable.

Tarrou

Might as well call it "vote for us, stupid!"

Rory 7

Actually it was a bash against JC. He reminds me of Alfred Sant a Maltese politician who kept the Maltese labour party in opposition for 2 decades. He's a nice lad and all but he's unelectable.
But I wasn't talking about JC. I was talking about a unified message from 'the left' - pie in the sky I know. Am my point re: emotive messages is that is what won both the Leavers and Trump their recent wins - "Take Back Control" for the Brexiteers, "Make America Great Again" for Trump. Seriously, the 'opposition' in the UK needs to play up how the Tories 'fooled' the public last summer. Don't Get Fooled Again.

Smores

As opposed to a vote for Soft Brexit and Labour?

I think the most some of us can hope for is a Pro-European party getting a high share of the votes even if they don't win that many seats.

God our political landscape is bleak.
Exactly what difference will Farron having say a 17% voter share have? Absolutely nothing.

Nothing wrong with voting on principle usually if it feeds the political narrative but if that is on pro-eu its going to achieve nothing.

This has to be about seats, if anyone votes Lib Dem in a seat they have no chance of winning then it may as well be a Tory vote.

Kag

It seems like they might be quite successful in being the only anti-Brexit party, which is not actually worth anything because in being so they will only end up being the 2nd biggest party at best and still be incapable of actually stopping Brexit. It seems on the surface a complete waste of the vote and as someone who has just finished being a student I can't say I look upon the Lib Dems very favourably anyway.
It's a wasted vote for exactly this reason. Making the election about Brexit is lunacy. It's happening and there's nothing Tim Farron can do to stop it.

We need a Labour government in this country and if the country does struggle as a product of Brexit, then that debate will rear its head again in a different decade with potentially different results. But not now.

devilish

But I wasn't talking about JC. I was talking about a unified message from 'the left' - pie in the sky I know. Am my point re: emotive messages is that is what won both the Leavers and Trump their recent wins - "Take Back Control" for the Brexiteers, "Make America Great Again" for Trump. Seriously, the 'opposition' in the UK needs to play up how the Tories 'fooled' the public last summer. Don't Get Fooled Again.
JC is the leader of the only party in the left that can win the GE.

Rory 7

Might as well call it "vote for us, stupid!"
"Take Back Control"? Well that was really 'deep' wasn't it? "Labour Isn't Working?" Elections are won and lost on emotion. The opposition in Britain need to call out the Tories for the liars that they are.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Unfortunately, that would allow the Tories to portray Labour as calling half the country "fools".

devilish

What do you mean?
I am left wing remainer. By voting to Lib Dem I am stripping a vote from the labour party fast tracking the end of JC political career. If LD gains enough votes then those votes will show that the remain camp is still alive and kicking

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Her negotiating prowess once again show it's head.
Criticises all the other political parties then asks them to give her the 2/3rds vote to enable her to even have a general election.

Might work in parliament, that strategy will not work in the negotiations with the EU.

Makes no difference to the EU if there's an election or not.
On the news here just a one line announcement that she's called an election... so what.

Kag

By Voting the lib dem, we're weakening both TM and JC hand. It will also show the remainers are a strong minority that need to be considered.
This Tory government will consider themselves and their friends and these people only, irrespective of protest votes.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I would probably orgasm if a David Miliband/Chukka Umunna launched a new centrist/mild-left party which was pro-EU (feck it, even just pro single-market) and favoured PR.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I would probably orgasm if a David Miliband/Chukka Umunna launched a new centrist/mild-left party which was pro-EU (feck it, even just pro single-market) and favoured PR.
So they could splinter the remainer vote further and help May win the election?