Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

jesperjaap

VAR is a good thing if it gets the right decisions and games are not decided on wrong decisions. Also, so far it appears the speed of decisions being analysed has speeded up which I think was the problem with it, so for me VAR is all good.

What I DONT like is all this tinkering with the rules. The one good rule change in the last thirty years is the back pass to the keeper rule changing. These new rules like not having to kick the ball our of the area on a goal kick, strikers in walls, its all a load of tinkering and poppycock. I hope that is the end of these changes to the beautiful game

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
You cant even have a discussion, some of them behaving like they just came out of their caves. Some of them dont even understand to rules, like arguing that 2nd pen attempt should also be retaken
Pfft. The Man's not gonna tell me when I can celebrate a goal! The machines are taking over, sheeple!! Just like in The Matrix!!! And when Breville stopped my mum from making toasties!!!!

stepic

Your extension doesn't make any sense. I'll try this again.

The offside rule was introduced to prevent the clear advantage caused by an attacker 'goal hanging'. That advantage is not gained when an attacker is 0.1 mm ahead. When is that advantage gained? It wouldn't hurt for there to be consensus on when a significant advantage is gained, and have the VAR use that point as the trigger for determining offside.

You saying "there will always be ambiguity so let's set the point at zero" makes no sense.
I mean you are basically just coming up with your own definition of offside.

The rules are what they are. It’s not VAR’s fault for... enforcing the rules. You obviously take issue with the current rule itself, which is fine, but that’s a whole other topic.

stepic

It couldn't possibly add subjectivity. The worst it can be accused of is not resolving an existing subjectivity. If there's no change in regards to close calls what's with all the outrage?
It’s less subjective now, at least they can measure the position of the attackers body in alignment with other players and so on. By adding some margin or degree of tolerance it would just cause even more debate and uncertainty.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No that would have never have been offside live.
Because the referee wouldnt spot it. With VAR, they get a clear look at it to apply the rules how they see fit. So yeah. The only thing VAR does is enables referees to see tough calls clearly.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I mean you are basically just coming up with your own definition of offside.

The rules are what they are. It’s not VAR’s fault for... enforcing the rules. You obviously take issue with the current rule itself, which is fine, but that’s a whole other topic.
Yes because VAR's literal implementation of the rule makes little sense in a football context. So yes, a discussion needs to occur around the actual rule or VAR's implementation of the rule.

ForestRGoinUp

With the amount of money in the game it's perfectly reasonable to ensure the results are correct. It could make a massive difference to clubs' fortunes. Plus the refs/ linesmen/women are far too unreliable and incompetent to officiate the game fairly.
Far too incompetent? Weren’t they judged to be getting 90% or more of the decisions correct? Without stopping game flow...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Oh it works in sports with hundreds of stoppages so let’s put it into one with very few. Good logic.
We'll get used to the stoppages eventually.

Surely any amount of interruptions are acceptable if they allow for the outcome of a game to be won or lost fair and square, no?

Fully Fledged

Because the referee wouldnt spot it. With VAR, they get a clear look at it to apply the rules how they see fit. So yeah. The only thing VAR does is enables referees to see tough calls clearly.
As I said I don't agree with it. All decision should be clear and obvious mistakes even offside.

That was what they said they were going to introduce. I'd have accepted that.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Every decision was right.
That's not the issue people have with it. It turns the beautiful game into an American sport. Stop start.

If people like it that's fine. I never have. I'd rather have bad calls and a free flowing game but that's me.

Actually think controversial calls are part of the game too and taking them away takes something away from the game too.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
People saying “oh but var made the champions league semi final dramatic” are missing the point. That was an incredible game.

Most VAR will be like today. Slowing the game down. Sucking the life out of the stadium.

Anyone here a season ticket holder and love VAR?
Did you watch the game? Because it quite literally did the opposite.

Fully Fledged

That's not the issue people have with it. It turns the beautiful game into an American sport. Stop start.

If people like it that's fine. I never have. I'd rather have bad calls and a free flowing game but that's me.

Actually think controversial calls are part of the game too and taking them away takes something away from the game too.
+1

Stookie

Nurse bell end
This is appalling. I knew it would be. Football is natural, flowing game. The referee is a big part of that. A team of video analysts picking every decision isn’t going to do anyone any good.

How often do we sit after a game and watch a panel of pundits unable to agree of a decision. It’s a game of opinion. And that’s mine.
Yeah it’s heading towards American Football type stoppages as VAR evolves. It will be used more and more for decisions all over the pitch. This is just the beginning, it won’t get any better.

ForestRGoinUp

This is how I feel. Differences of opinion sure but it bugs me so much because I know that I personally will stop watching the sport, eventually, because of it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Why would you possibly want more stoppages?
I don't want more stoppages but I'll tolerate them in the interest of fairness.

Let's face it, far to many games down the years have been won or lost through a poor decision from the referee. VAR has been put in place to prevent that from happening.

Interruptions to the game are an unfortunate by-product of the VAR system but they're necessary all the same.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Wonder if they'll (eventually) start showing adverts during VAR breaks?

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
My initial optimism gave way to the headlines coming out of Serie A last season. Add that to the fact that much of it was based on the small sample of WC 2018.

ForestRGoinUp

Pfft. The Man's not gonna tell me when I can celebrate a goal! The machines are taking over, sheeple!! Just like in The Matrix!!! And when Breville stopped my mum from making toasties!!!!
Fans in stadium are literally turning, in unison, to look towards a computer monitor now, to determine if they should celebrate.

Not sure what you’re making fun of.

ForestRGoinUp

I don't want more stoppages but I'll tolerate them in the interest of fairness.

Let's face it, far to many games down the years have been won or lost through a poor decision from the referee. VAR has been put in place to prevent that from happening.

Interruptions to the game are an unfortunate by-product of the VAR system but they're necessary all the same.
They’re patently not necessary, hence the health of the sport. A bad decision one game was always made up by one the next game, or often just later in the same game.

Rafaeldagold

VAR is awful for the game & everything we’re seeing is what those who have been against it have always said.

‘No it’ll be fine- you’re living in the dark ages! ‘

Well it’s here how so hope everyone enjoys it, I’ts going to change the game more than anything we’ve seen before