Giggs appointed new Wales manager

Minimalist

One of the best positions he could have got realistically.

Good chance to improve his managerial rep before may taking a mid-table PL job.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Huge congratulations are in order for Giggsy! Wish him nothing but success for Wales. At the same time I wish he does well so that one day he would take over at Manchester United!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Dont know what is so funny. We have a cracking group of young players. Football is more popular right now in Wales than it has been in many years coming off the back of our performance in the last Euro's. Finally there is a chance to build on something and we give it to a guy who pretends he gives a damn about Wales now when it suits him.
Couldn’t agree more with all that.
We didn’t have many options either though, who would you have liked?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Deserves it. He's got over 3 games under his belt as a manager now, and after a short 3 year hiatus from management, stepping into a national job seems only natural.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Bit disgusting for me, tbh. How can you ask a person of such a low moral character to be the sporting face of the nation?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I guess he's got nothing to lose. If he does well, everyone will be looking to give him a bigger job; if he fails, he an say it's Wales and no one expects them to win anything

Thisistheone

Bit disgusting for me, tbh. How can you ask a person of such a low moral character to be the sporting face of the nation?
Because it's football and not politics. He's the most decorated player in the history of the UK. One of the best wingers of the modern era. And a legend in world football. That makes him appealing to the Welsh FA. Not what's happened in his private life in the past. (Whether it means he'll be a success is another issue.)

If private lives determined jobs in the game, there'd be a lot of footballer's unemployed.

TinFoil

Talk of scholes coming in as assistant.

Really don't think that's a good move.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Talk of scholes coming in as assistant.

Really don't think that's a good move.
Agree. Believe he really needs to leave the current set up in place. He'll need their help imho.

ZupZup

I have a sneaky feeling he might bring Ole in to his coaching staff. Only because he was at the match last night and it makes me wonder if he's come over to have some discussions about it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Wasn't he (Hughes) already doing some coaching for them? He was still playing for Blackburn, was made caretaker when the incumbent left, and was made permanent when he retired from playing.
Yeah but he had no management experience. Giggs has several years coaching experience so they can both thank Wales FA for taking a punt

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How can you as a Liverpool fan say that with a straight face?

Your manager not only had a disgusting face but he wore a T-shirt on National tv supporting a proven racist

Not to even go into the gangster links and StevieG

Revaulx

Yeah but he had no management experience. Giggs has several years coaching experience so they can both thank Wales FA for taking a punt
Indeed. The Wales setup was a basket case before Hughes took it on, and he surprised everybody by his success in modernising it. Subsequent managers seem to have built on that.

I hope Giggs isn't tempted to do a Moyes to it :nervous:

Marcus01

Jesus :lol: Should focus on demotivational seminars instead.
So devoid of charisma, flair, passion...everything.

Gosh.

Leadership is often not about what you're saying to people but the way you're saying it.

Utterly pathetic; but about what I expected tbh.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
If private lives determined jobs in the game, there'd be a lot of footballer's unemployed.
I can understand it better in the private sector. I don't think Giggs should have been sacked for what he did or anything like that.

The national team is not the same though. It's a cultural vessel, it represents something other than the values that drive clubs. And the manager is the face of that institution. And the Welsh FA are implicitly saying that Ryan Giggs is a worthy custodian of the national footballing spirit.

The English FA sacked Allardyce for a trifle in comparison.

Thisistheone

I can understand it better in the private sector. I don't think Giggs should have been sacked for what he did or anything like that.

The national team is not the same though. It's a cultural vessel, it represents something other than the values that drive clubs. And the manager is the face of that institution. And the Welsh FA are implicitly saying that Ryan Giggs is a worthy custodian of the national footballing spirit.

The English FA sacked Allardyce for a trifle in comparison.
Sven was England manager for years. Maradona was national manager of Argentina.

The reality is he's a huge name in football. The Welsh FA probably see him for what he represented as a player and potentially as a manager. Although if his interview was anything like that video above then I can only assume other candidates like Bellamy must have been terrible.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
I think it's clear that he picked up certain phrases from SAF but he just says it in such a monotonous and uninspiring way. Just shows again that Fergie was a one-off in terms of pure motivation.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Advise to Welsh players: Lock up your wives.

As long as he stays away from Man Utd, don't give a feck what he does.

marlowe78

Best of luck to him.

A very high-profile appointment considering his lack of experience. He'll be managing veterans of varying quality like Bale, Ramsey, and Allen.

Fabian Keller

Bad appointment. Cant see how the players will respect the guy? Not even talking about his lack of charisma. My absolute hero growing up. Now he's just a scumbag. Such a shame, but most of us now loath him..

red4ever 79

I think it's clear that he picked up certain phrases from SAF but he just says it in such a monotonous and uninspiring way. Just shows again that Fergie was a one-off in terms of pure motivation.
Nail on head. I had a lecturer like that once. Monotone for 3 hours on Monday afternoon. Completely uninspiring. Can you imagine he came for an interview and showed that passion. Jesus

Precaution

Sven was England manager for years. Maradona was national manager of Argentina.

The reality is he's a huge name in football. The Welsh FA probably see him for what he represented as a player and potentially as a manager. Although if his interview was anything like that video above then I can only assume other candidates like Bellamy must have been terrible.
Didn't Bellamy also commit awful shite in his time too?

Although Bellamy had never been convicted of assault, he was alleged to have been involved in several violent incidents.

• On 29 November 2006, after a trial lasting five days, a court cleared him of assaulting two women in Cardiff.[101]
  • On 1 March 2007, Bellamy confronted his Liverpool teammate John Arne Riise with a golf club.[102]
  • On 22 September 2009, during a game against Manchester United at Old Trafford, Bellamy clashed with a pitch invader.[103]
  • On 12 January 2011, Bellamy was arrested on Caroline Street, Cardiff, and bailed on an alleged assault claim, in which two men suffered facial injurie
i mean Giggsy might have been 'avin with it his brothers Mrs but at least he didn't smash a few players in, just her backdoor.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
I wonder will his private life affect the respect the players have for him. Playing footsie with your brother's g/f wife, can't remember her exact status, is a low thing to do.