Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woziak

Someone on here made a great point that the Qatari bid will win, if they dont then they will appear weak in the business world for not being able to complete the purchase.
Losing a bidding war publicly isnt good for the image.
Even more so after Saudi Merged Liv Golf and the PGA, SA dominating boxing, Golf, wrestling and watch then start to crank up Newcastle in the next two years.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yeah, and its not like I mind propaganda per se, its used to put pressure on Glazer and what not. Build the club's stature. I think Goldbridge has his heart in the right place.

But what does not add up to me is this -- with the Glazers of course not staying -- in any other capacity than minority shareholders during an earn-out period before Ineos buys their remaining shares -- the notion that Goldbridge likes to spread that Ratcliffe only is in the lead (if those reports are true) because he allows the Glazers to stay -- is exposed for what it is, in all likelihood nonsense.

According to all the reports, more or less unanimous, 9-2's bid is up towards 5bn. That pays the Glazers 2.9bn. Ineos bid is reported to also be low, but a little higher for the Glazers than 9-2's bid, i.e. 3.45bn for the Glazers. Right? Correct me if I am unaware of any report saying anything else.

Unless all reports are wrong, this would mean that 9-2's offer more or less is Chelsea money. Right? Boehly got Chelsea for 2.5bn, with a pledge to invest 1.75bn. The Glazers will only care about what they get, they will not care one bit what 9-2 does with the club after 9-2 bought it. Hence the only relevant number is 2.9bn, because that is what the Glazers would be getting. And we must all be able to agree that if these reports are not incorrect -- that is a pretty "meh" offer that its not surprising that the Glazers have turned down. We are a much bigger club than Chelsea. Right?

So against this background -- what is the purpose of creating an extremely hostile environment towards Ineos? I don't think the Glazers ever where going to accept just 2.9bn. If Ineos pulls out tomorrow, there seem to be an overwhelming risk that the Glazers wouldn't accept 9-2's offer, but instead hold out for a higher offer. Its like some is believing their own propaganda.

Not sure why you are comparing 69% of Man Utd to 100% of Chelsea? clearly we are worth a lot more in any of the scenarios

It's totally logical that SOME of the Glazers want to stay and will vote for the INEOS option for that reason.
Apparently 92F are not offering this option, they want the whole club and Glazers gone forever.
All this is widely reported so not sure which bit you don't get

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
To be honest high profile people who advocated for Brexit, should have that name in front of them. It's not a joke, it's something they should be tarnished with.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
To be honest high profile people who advocated for Brexit, should have that name in front of them. It's not a joke, it's something they should be tarnished with.
Exactly. It’s not a joke at all. It’s something that has hurt / is hurting A LOT of people.

It’s important people don’t forget. Especially when they personally helped support it as in the case of Brexit Jim.

Skills

Snitch
Surprised there hasn't been talk of an option of Jimmy and Qatar coming in together. He can be the face of the project

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I swear every one on here is grumpy today. I'm not saying it's without reason...

EDIT - Oh thank God, Skills is here to cheer us up.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Absolutely, I have no idea why anyone thinks BREXIT is a joke - must be overseas fans who don't understand the ramifications

Not to forget that Brexit Jim left UK for Monaco to evade taxes shortly after getting what he wanted !

KnowNowt

Yeah, and its not like I mind propaganda per se, its used to put pressure on Glazer and what not. Build the club's stature. I think Goldbridge has his heart in the right place.

But what does not add up to me is this -- with the Glazers of course not staying -- in any other capacity than minority shareholders during an earn-out period before Ineos buys their remaining shares -- the notion that Goldbridge likes to spread that Ratcliffe only is in the lead (if those reports are true) because he allows the Glazers to stay -- is exposed for what it is, in all likelihood nonsense.

According to all the reports, more or less unanimous, 9-2's bid is up towards 5bn. That pays the Glazers 2.9bn. Ineos bid is reported to also be low, but a little higher for the Glazers than 9-2's bid, i.e. 3.45bn for the Glazers. Right? Correct me if I am unaware of any report saying anything else.

Unless all reports are wrong, this would mean that 9-2's offer more or less is Chelsea money. Right? Boehly got Chelsea for 2.5bn, with a pledge to invest 1.75bn. The Glazers will only care about what they get, they will not care one bit what 9-2 does with the club after 9-2 bought it. Hence the only relevant number is 2.9bn, because that is what the Glazers would be getting. And we must all be able to agree that if these reports are not incorrect -- that is a pretty "meh" offer that its not surprising that the Glazers have turned down. We are a much bigger club than Chelsea. Right?

So against this background -- what is the purpose of creating an extremely hostile environment towards Ineos? I don't think the Glazers ever where going to accept just 2.9bn. If Ineos pulls out tomorrow, there seem to be an overwhelming risk that the Glazers wouldn't accept 9-2's offer, but instead hold out for a higher offer. Its like some is believing their own propaganda.
To me, it doesn't look a fair comparison to make and say getting Utd for close to Chelsea money.

The comparison you are making includes the subsequent investment amounts which to me is just money (£1.75b) moving from left pocket to right pocket. I think the relevant figures to compare are £2.5b for Chelsea against £4.25b for Utd.

Do not see a commitment to investment after purchase as a true cost of purchase.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Absolutely, I have no idea why anyone thinks BREXIT is a joke - must be overseas fans who don't understand the ramifications

Not to forget that Brexit Jim left UK for Monaco shortly after getting what he wanted !
"It wasn't just racists that voted for Brexit, cnuts did as well. Stupid fecking cnuts"

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The hypocrisy of people is funny. It's okay to be political when discussing Qatar and their regime but when you mention the links between Ratcliffe and Brexit suddenly it's off limits...

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
The point is that Jim wouldn't buy all the shares NOW - no one thinks he will be minority, but 51% is possible.
Which is a long way from the full 100% sale that 92F want.

And it means the Glazers would continue to profit from the club for potentially several years. Many fans expected them gone forever by last Easter so this doesn't go down well.
Everything else equal, the Glazer would of course prefer to get paid now rather than in 1-2 years time.

There could be some type of variable purchase price based, based on for example the club’s turnover. But come on, it’s at most 18% of the shares and nothing explosive is happening with turnover in 2 or even 3 years. If it was, they surely wouldn’t be selling at all.

Everything points towards the earn-out being a concession by the Glazers to Ineos — not something Ineos “gives” to the Glazers.

Not sure why you are comparing 69% of Man Utd to 100% of Chelsea? clearly we are worth a lot more in any of the scenarios
Who owns Manchester United today? Everyone will claim that the club is owned by the Glazers. If you want the same control as the Glazers have, all you need to do is buy their 69%.

The NYSE shares are more or less a gimmick, that literary only gives right to dividends payments. People buy them due to the brand, not because the rights actually associated with the shares. I don’t think Chelsea could pull off an IPO of 31% of the shares. If they did, it’s not like Boehly’s shares would be worth less. Chelsea will owe a massive amount of money to Boehly, he will never take dividends out of the club, he might have the club pay of some of the loans, but in all likelihood he plans to make the money on selling the club again in a decade or so.

For many prospective buyers — controlling the club to the same extent as the Glazers controls it today, is sufficient. We could be a dividend play 17 years ago, those days are over with.

9-2 has a legit reason to get 100%, if they are to make massive infrastructure investments on the land owned by the club, its not impossible if you only own 69%, but everything becomes more complicated and there could be delays. Certainly a dream for their lawyers… I covered this back in November-December, any buyer being after the streaming rights (Apple/Amazon) would probably also want 100%

But that is what it is, we have known from Day 1 that the Glazers will care about what is best for them, and nothing else, and anyone wanting to also buy the NYSE floated shares will have to pay more.

Piabetic

Surely, if you are as rich as the Qatari bidders are then isn't the idea that you get what you want? I would think it would be quite an embarrassment for them to so publicly be trying to buy United and then ultimately fail, certainly if it comes down to not offering that extra 500m to satisfy the Glazers. I'm sure they aren't happy about the Glazers trying to pull their pants down, but I don't imagine they are used to failing when it comes down to splashing the cash. Are the Glazers really determined to maintain an interest in the club, surely its just down to money with them?

glasgow 21

It could mess up this summer transfer window but we are talking about securing the future of this club.
They are the type of folk who if it was a car, they would stall on a sale and wait for an extra $250. They have absolutely no interest in football , fans or timelines. It amazing though when you think of it . We hear everything from inside changing rooms , who is buying who and every bit of issue regarding the clubs employees but never a piece of dust on these Glazers. I see it as, they walk in the room talk digits and stats and leave. That is what United is to them a spreadsheet/ database ,no emotion , and definitely no place for doing the right thing.

Gurtej

No one has a clue what's happening . Every day we hear a new story, all we can hope is this comes to an end asap otherwise I worry we will have another terrible window and will struggle in terms of finishing 4th next season again.

Not terrible from $ as I think we will spend decent money regardless of ownership situation, but its the uncertainty and delay in decision making that will screw us up one more time.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Everything else equal, the Glazer would of course prefer to get paid now rather than in 1-2 years time.

There could be some type of variable purchase price based, based on for example the club’s turnover. But come on, it’s at most 18% of the shares and nothing explosive is happening with turnover in 2 or even 3 years. If it was, they surely wouldn’t be selling at all.

Everything points towards the earn-out being a concession by the Glazers to Ineos — not something Ineos “gives” to the Glazers.

Who owns Manchester United today? Everyone will claim that the club is owned by the Glazers. If you want the same control as the Glazers have, all you need to do is buy their 69%.

The NYSE shares are more or less a gimmick, that literary only gives right to dividends payments. People buy them due to the brand, not because the rights actually associated with the shares. I don’t think Chelsea could pull off an IPO of 31% of the shares. If they did, it’s not like Boehly’s shares would be worth less. Chelsea will owe a massive amount of money to Boehly, he will never take dividends out of the club, he might have the club pay of some of the loans, but in all likelihood he plans to make the money on selling the club again in a decade or so.

For many prospective buyers — controlling the club to the same extent as the Glazers controls it today, is sufficient. We could be a dividend play 17 years ago, those days are over with.

9-2 has a legit reason to get 100%, if they are to make massive infrastructure investments on the land owned by the club, its not impossible if you only own 69%, but everything becomes more complicated and there could be delays. Certainly a dream for their lawyers… I covered this back in November-December, any buyer being after the streaming rights (Apple/Amazon) would probably also want 100%

But that is what it is, we have known from Day 1 that the Glazers will care about what is best for them, and nothing else, and anyone wanting to also buy the NYSE floated shares will have to pay more.
Well the point is that the Glazer siblings don't agree - some want out now, others believe the value of the club will still increase so want to stay. This has been the situation for many years, the whole NYSE listing was likely done as a mechanism for some of the family to sell/loan shares when they needed - some of the Glazers have sold shares over the years so each has a different % today.

There are 6 Glazer spawn, each has a a vote within the family and no doubt they are currently squabbling over the best way forward.
Joel and Avram are best known to us, Bryan even made a rare appearance at Wembley on Saturday. The rest have never been to a United match AFAIK so probably the ones wanting to sell ASAP.

BTW I don't agree that the public shares are just bought for the brand, there are several serious investors and funds who have bought Man Utd shares over the years.

There is a myth that buying Manchester United at £5/6bn doesn't make economic sense and that it would only be done for vanity, sportswashing, green washing etc.
I believe that this underestimates the potential growth still possible in TV rights, streaming rights etc

Jim and Jassim might both be United fans, but I think both also believe they can make money from this deal in the long-term.

Kaos

The hypocrisy of people is funny. It's okay to be political when discussing Qatar and their regime but when you mention the links between Ratcliffe and Brexit suddenly it's off limits...
Yeah they seem to get defensive over that and his environmental record, as well as his shit track record of owning clubs.

Son

"It wasn't just racists that voted for Brexit, cnuts did as well. Stupid fecking cnuts"
Maybe so. I voted remain but the road to hell is always paved with good intentions on both sides.

Jim is a self made man. Jassim is an unkown. The Qatar bid actually worries me. Nobody knows anything about the bloke.

I disagree with Jim’s ideas of mixing sporting techniques. Cycling to football etc but then at least he’s got ideas and a plan.

The Shiek talks a good game but nobody knows. It’s murky and uneasy.

Everyone knows Jim’s finances and INEOS. They are quite simply killing it recent years.

Already offering more money on the table than Qatar seemingly can right now. A good indicator of how far someone will back the club in reality.

Qatar could buy us and deem the asset not worth the ROI and pull back spending due to political pressures. Jim won’t have that problem.

Last edited:

Sir Erik ten Hag

Someone on here made a great point that the Qatari bid will win, if they dont then they will appear weak in the business world for not being able to complete the purchase.
Isn't it the same for INEOS, though?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
But state owners Qatar FTW. You couldn't make this shit up
Yeah, great input big guy.

We don’t know Jassim’s personal take on Qatar’s politics do we? Or do we generalise that every single person in Qatar is on exactly the same page as their government’s worse policies?

Jim Ratcliffe personally went out of his way to help Brexit happen, he didn’t just ‘vote Tory’, he used his influence to help Brexit happen - the single most harmful political move to this country (I’m British) for multiple decades.

If Jassim came out and banned rainbow flags from OT, I wouldn’t follow Utd. If Jassim withdrew support from women’s football, I wouldn’t follow Utd.

I believe passionately that Qatar’s stance on Human Rights and equality should be openly talked about as anyone who read my posts during the World Cup can attest. Posters like @Rood and @Berbaclass will possibly remember that I was disgusted with the censorship and goalpost shifting of FIFA and the Qatar regime.

What bothered me was the lack of open discourse. It didn’t feel like an honest coming together of cultures (due to the OTT, paranoid censorship).

Buying Utd would be a genuine bringing together of cultures, and it would provoke A LOT of conversation on those policies, this isn’t City ffs, this is the big dog of English football.

United is a special club, a deeply special club, and any owner that comes here to be part of the history and give back to the local area - as every fecking owner should do - will find a welcoming fanbase and a culture of inclusion and community. I honestly believe that will be immensely good for both cultures, I really do.

I also believe that people of influence who’ve chosen, specifically, to support dangerous policies on home soil should be held to account, not glossed over.

So yes, I prefer Jassim over Brexit Jim, and I know that’s because I truly believe it’s the best thing for Manchester Utd.

Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what I believe.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yeah, great input big guy.

We don’t know Jassim’s personal take on Qatar’s politics do we? Or do we generalise that every single person in Qatar is on exactly the same page as their government’s worse policies?

Jim Ratcliffe personally went out of his way to help Brexit happen, he didn’t just ‘vote Tory’, he used his influence to help Brexit happen - the single most harmful political move to this country (I’m British) for multiple decades.

If Jassim came out and banned rainbow flags from OT, I wouldn’t follow Utd. If Jassim withdrew support from women’s football, I wouldn’t follow Utd.

I believe passionately that Qatar’s stance on Human Rights and equality should be openly talked about as anyone who read my posts during the World Cup can attest. Posters like @Rood and @Berbaclass will possibly remember that I was disgusted with the censorship and goalpost shifting of FIFA and the Qatar regime.

What bothered me was the lack of open discourse. It didn’t feel like an honest coming together of cultures (due to the OTT, paranoid censorship).

Buying Utd would be a genuine bringing together of cultures, and it would provoke A LOT of conversation on those policies, this isn’t City ffs, this is the big dog of English football.

United is a special club, a deeply special club, and any owner that comes here to be part of the history and give back to the local area - as every fecking owner should do - will find a welcoming fanbase and a culture of inclusion and community. I honestly believe that will be immensely good for both cultures, I really do.

I also believe that people of influence who’ve chosen, specifically, to support dangerous policies on home soil should be held to account, not glossed over.

So yes, I prefer Jassim over Brexit Jim, and I know that’s because I truly believe it’s the best thing for Manchester Utd.

Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what I believe.
It’s just absolute nonsense. Like pure drivel.

Jassim can learn from us - Jim can’t?

People need to be held to account for Brexit - but a Qatar-state backed bid is okay and will learn from our inclusion?

City being taken over is bad but because we’re a bigger club it’s good?

No matter how much you look at it - Brexit is a shit idea that was voted on by over half of the British populace. It’s a political movement that some people believed would help Britain prosper.

People have died building up Qatar’s wealth and are treated like slaves. Human rights organisations and LGBT groups are campaigning to stop this. They literally are abusing thousands of humans and to equate that with support of a misguided economic policy? feck off - completely disingenuous.

This is literally you:
The influence of middle-eastern money is ruining football.

And I don't say that with any Daily Mail overtones, just talking football, and would say the same if the money was coming from Scotland, Germany, Barbados or wherever.

I have no qualms with huge transfer fees, but the clubs have to earn the money. You can't just have a bunch of Qatar/Saudi oil gangsters barging in to the beautiful game and playing top trumps - it's vulgar.

Didn't understand all the Qatar/oil money politics to do with this transfer, but now I do, I think it's pathetic.

Last edited:

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Because of how long this ownership saga has dragged on, the Glazers know that they will face vehement opposition if they decide to stay in any capacity. Surely there is some sort of acknowledgement on their part that they will emerge (if not already) as the most hated club owners on planet earth.

Quagmire Maguire

Not to forget that Brexit Jim left UK for Monaco to evade taxes shortly after getting what he wanted !
He has also moved his 'british' car business to Austria.

Guy is a bell just like James Dyson

Sir Erik ten Hag

If Jassim is really just a proxy for a Qataris state bid, I find it hard to believe they haven't blown INEOS out of the water already. They have more money than they can burn in their lifetime, what they need is vanity/exposure. What good can this cat-and-mouse game do to their reputation? That a single businessman can go toe-to-toe with them?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Isn't it the same for INEOS, though?
Dont think so, they are willing to share the deal with the Glazers and not own 100% of the club. I just dont see them "losing face" in the business world the same as a Sovereign nation losing to a company, Im sure they've lost deals before, but this is very public and would set a World record for a sports team.
Its just all strange nothing has happened, if Ineos bid is the better bid then why havent the Glazers closed off the sale and be done with this ordeal? The De Jong saga never lasted this long, its just very frustrating.

croadyman

They will definitely appear weak,however if they don't up the bid to match Ratcliffe then prepare to face the embarrassment

croadyman

Surprised there hasn't been talk of an option of Jimmy and Qatar coming in together. He can be the face of the project
Only way I would accept him is having a u-turn and getting shot of the leeches now

Status
Not open for further replies.