Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

A game of chess being played out between the two public bidders imo. It seems like INEOS asked for a extension to gain a advantage and the Qatari group got wind of it and also took up the offer of the extension.

The merchant bank and the Glazers also seem to be creating a ghost bidding scenario imo.
Quite possible if one party asked for the extension first they might have been trying to get some info on the size of the other bid, maybe so they know what they have to beat.

MiamiSpartan

The Qataris hired a PR firm early on in the process, who have been briefing the Mail (Keegan) throughout. I don't think Ineos had anyone doing PR for them, although that might now have changed. Anyway, pretty clear that the journalists reported what the PR firm(s) had told them pre-9:00pm. Raine are seemingly close to the Murdoch press and it appears that Sky and The Times have been getting their information directly from there throughout this process - no surprise it was Sky who subsequently reported 'no bid', which will presumably have come straight from Raine.

Basically, everyone is reporting what they have been told by people who are in a position to know. That can still sometimes get you in to trouble (as is the case tonight).
It also is a reminder that they're being told what the various parties want the public to know. It's all been directed PR, not some Deep Throat-esque sources meeting in a parking garage with secret info for the reporters.

MTF

Uncle Jim up to his old tricks again.
How anyone would want this guy running the club is beyond me.

Pulled the same stunt with Chelsea, come in late with a huge offer hoping to guzump anyone in the process problem is Raine let the game slip.

Imagine Jassim will add a couple of zeros and be favourite again.

What this does indicate is that this is probably the last round of bidding , if people want to put in such intricate details on their bids and need more time I’d imagine they have been told the exclusivity period will start post selection,
600 Billion? Now that would be something...

RuudTom83

Quite enjoy this demonstration of how little critical thought goes into modern journalism. They clearly all get the group text and rush to relay it on twitter and media websites asap without more than a vague check to see if its actually true.

Kevah exposing Kevah is a perfect example.
It’s hilarious isn’t it…watching a grown man trying his best to convince everyone he has an ounce of journalistic integrity.

Only for the fool to completely show himself up 10 minutes later with another round of fluff.

stevoc

600 Billion? Now that would be something...
That's the type of bid that would be going in if Jassim hired the guy earlier in the thread who paid £9k over the asking price for his house

NotThatSoph

Uncle Jim up to his old tricks again.
How anyone would want this guy running the club is beyond me.

Pulled the same stunt with Chelsea, come in late with a huge offer hoping to guzump anyone in the process problem is Raine let the game slip.

Imagine Jassim will add a couple of zeros and be favourite again.

What this does indicate is that this is probably the last round of bidding , if people want to put in such intricate details on their bids and need more time I’d imagine they have been told the exclusivity period will start post selection,
Ratcliffe and Al-Thani have both failed to bid in time, therefore Ratcliffe isn't being serious but Al-Thani is so serious that no one has a chance. He will, in fact, bid £500b.

This makes perfect sense.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Quite possible if one party asked for the extension first they might have been trying to get some info on the size of the other bid, maybe so they know what they have to beat.
That's what I think is happening. Also the merchant bank overseeing the process will be notifying prospective bidders of what the highest offer is imo, to create the best conditions for the Glazers to profit from.

Infra-red

It also is a reminder that they're being told what the various parties want the public to know. It's all been directed PR, not some Deep Throat-esque sources meeting in a parking garage with secret info for the reporters.
Indeed - all parties have vested interests. Very difficult to know where the truth lies in any of this. In reality, we know vanishingly little about the substance of any of these bids.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
You just need to slip a brown bag ($1M) to a runner within the Raine link to message the information ASAP. The kid's probably at Raine to pad his CV anyway.

stevoc

That's what I think is happening. Also the merchant bank overseeing the process will be notifying prospective bidders of what the highest offer is imo, to create the best conditions for the Glazers to profit from.
Yep the Glazers will be trying to create a bidding war.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Different ownership models, different reporting obligations.

Both INEOS and Nine Two want control. They can achieve this by buying the Glazers' shares.

However, if they don't buy the remaining publicly traded shares they will have to live up to certain obligations placed on publicly traded companies.

If you buy 100 per cent of the shares and take the club private that changes things. Yes there are still a myriad of laws you need to navigate. However, the things that you have to publicly disclose on a regular basis lessen significantly. It gives you a freer hand.
Where do the 31% stand on this?
Do they really want to sell?
Does this make the SJR or 92 Foundation more favourable to them?

These are things not being talked about.

MUFC OK

In that case surely they would just do another bidding round?
In effect that’s probably what’s happening. Could be a sign that the glazers do indeed want to sell and do so quickly. Both bids were rumoured to be close to that so could just be a nudge.

prateik

Who are the "multiple" bidders?

Who bids billions if they arent serious? these people arent public.. It's not like they are bidding just to get in the news and get some coverage.
Does it make sense to dismiss them and presume its a 2 horse race?

MUFC OK

Who bids billions if they arent serious? these people arent public.. It's not like they are bidding just to get in the news and get some coverage.
I think they are most likely the Elliott type of financing options, but could be US consortiums too. I think it is still likely to be a 2 horse race.

Reality is we have no idea, nor any control over the outcome. Just hope there is nothing in the murmurs of the glazers retaining control, but will assume that until they are officially gone.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I suspect Glazers have been told by both Ratcliffe and Qatar that they're not getting a better offer from them... And the greedy cnuts are now scrambling, lying about other bidders, trying to manufacture interest.

The goblins aren't getting a billion pounds each and they're fuming.

Precaution

In the hypothetical that Elliot & Glazers go into business, they stay on and claim to love us fans... What will actually happen? Fans go mad for couple of weeks but a new summer signing and we're good?

KikiDaKats

Supports
They're in their 70s, they can sell for billions or take out 50m a year, they can sell now and be stress free
I meant the 31% owners, the investment groups that own the odd 6/7%s. United is a cash cow for them as well, not just for the Glazers.
No one ever seem to discuss how they have been milking us too.Do they think handing their shares back is good business long term?

KikiDaKats

Supports
In the hypothetical that Elliot & Glazers go into business, they stay on and claim to love us fans... What will actually happen? Fans go mad for couple of weeks but a new summer signing and we're good?
Is it not the norm at United? In my lifetime, we’ve never had owners that are universally accepted. We’ll just hate them in the United way till they play us again.
Unlike most fans I see them as businessmen and have no issues with how they operate with profits. My issue is their hands off style and appointments.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
The Qatar bid got leaked to Jim who then asked for more time to try and beat it.

Jazz found out about the leak and is expecting Jim to come in with an even bigger bid so now jazz wants more time to go even higher than what he expects Jim's offer to be. :cool:

Bert_

Maybe they are considering @Mr Pigeon's last minute bid.

I sent a letter to the club this morning. Fingers crossed!

Can't wait to see the new look Old Trafford (exactly the same but without those spikes that stops birds perching on the roof).

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Is it not the norm at United? In my lifetime, we’ve never had owners that are universally accepted. We’ll just hate them in the United way till they play us again.
Unlike most fans I see them as businessmen and have no issues with how they operate with profits. My issue is their hands off style and appointments.
I'd say it's the norm at every club, ask any City fan what they thought about Peter Swales!

Tarrou

I meant the 31% owners, the investment groups that own the odd 6/7%s. United is a cash cow for them as well, not just for the Glazers.
No one ever seem to discuss how they have been milking us too.Do they think handing their shares back is good business long term?
They won’t have a choice so it doesn’t matter

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
69% would cost less and he might think the Glaziers would prefer to accept a bid where they keep a chunk of the club
69% is what the Glazer's own, they sell that they own zero

Nori-

Sounds like Sheikh Jassim and SJR are waiting for the other to bid first, hence the extensions as no one flinched.

Imagine Sheikh Jassim puts in a bid of £5.5b only to find out SJR would only have gone up to £5.1b and a much lower offer would have beaten him. He could potentially save £400m which would go towards the squad/stadium.

Saying all that though, it comes down to whether the Glazers are serious about not selling if their valuation isn't met. In that situation even if Sheikh Jassim blows the competition away, it still might not be enough and more money will be asked for.

MF1138

So many experts around that are sure of everything but actually know nothing... And the journalists don't seem to know anything either :wenger:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sounds like Sheikh Jassim and SJR are waiting for the other to bid first, hence the extensions as no one flinched.

Imagine Sheikh Jassim puts in a bid of £5.5b only to find out SJR would only have gone up to £5.1b and a much lower offer would have beaten him. He could potentially save £400m which would go towards the squad/stadium.

Saying all that though, it comes down to whether the Glazers are serious about not selling if their valuation isn't met. In that situation even if Sheikh Jassim blows the competition away, it still might not be enough and more money will be asked for.
There have apparently been more bids than just those two.

Castia

If the Qatar bid doesn’t win it will always be a ‘what if’ moment for me

Our future with them is cemented at the top of football with funds to compete with anybody and a stadium that can be among the best in Europe

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Our future with them is cemented at the top of football with funds to compete with anybody and a stadium that can be among the best in Europe
Do you think Bayern are doomed to eternal mediocrity because they aren’t owned by an autocratic middle eastern oil and gas state ?

Castia

Do you think Bayern are doomed to eternal mediocrity because they aren’t owned by an autocratic middle eastern oil and gas state ?

Do they compete in a league with other clubs spending upwards of 200m+ on average?

Gazza

we are talking about Manchester United. The club that lost almost a whole team in 1958 but won the biggest trophies around in the next ten years. The club that got relegated, came back, and became the dominant force in British football. The idea that some people think that we need Qatar is just depressing

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Do they compete in a league with other clubs spending upwards of 200m+ on average?
They compete in the CL and routinely achieve better results than us there. PSG and City could learn a thing or two from them given that neither seems capable of winning it. So much for the gratuitous splendor of sugar daddy ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.