Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

roseguy64

I agree with a lot of what you say. But the whole “job being too big for him” and comparing that to Moyes is something I don’t like because it seems to be something reserved for British managers. How many foreign managers have come to the prem over the years to join a top 4 club and failed but no one really says ohh it was to big for him. One that comes to mind is the ex Porto manager who joined Chelsea.

Really I think with Potter it’s similar to that. He was good enough to get a shot. Punched but couldn’t punch hard enough. Like many managers before him.
How many managers who haven't managed in the Premier League before have gotten top jobs without prior success?

roseguy64

Vs.Carrick :lol:
He managed 2 games man.
Ralf also won his first two PL games in charge, just like Carrick.

Why are you talking about ETH? This is about Potter.

As for Winter break, Potter just had 6 fecking weeks :lol:

Ralf got 1.54 PL points per game, Potter 1.25 :eek: and actually Ralf’s only went completely to shit at the end of the season when all the players gave up on the manager they knew wouldn’t be there come pre-season.

So no, it’s not even slightly debatable who’s doing worse, let’s not even talk about the side Ralf took over in comparison who were getting absolutely spanked on a weekly basis.
Yeah we lost the plot once we got knocked out of the CL. It was disastrous after that rather than just bad.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Of the players that are fit, the squad is still more expensive and got more quality players than Brentford, Brighton and Fulham, who are all above Chelsea.
Brentford beat Liverpool, City and United, drew with Spurs and Chelsea and lost against Arsenal. That’s more points than we are taking against the big boys.

bringbackbebe

Torres we gave 3 and a half years worth of chances too aswell as signing players (and appointing managers) with helping him in mind.

Morata we "wrote off" because we somehow managed to convince Atletico to give us our money back.

Kepa (not a striker but similar principle in terms of big money) we got incredibly lucky we managed to find a world class keeper out of nowhere and for little money, we weren't/aren't going big on another keeper while he is here and now Mendy isn't as good as before Kepa is getting chances again and will likely be the number 1 for the foreseeable (gulp).

Lukaku is the exception but that was down to the change of ownership, Cech as good as confirmed he was getting another chance under the previous regime.

So it's a bit of a myth we just write off big signings, especially in the last decade or so.
Below are some forwards purchased by Chelsea for non-negligible sums for that period.

2003: Crespo, Mutu
2004: Kezman (Drogba & Robben was successful)
2006: Shevchenko (Kalou can be considered partial success)
2007: Pizzaro, Anelka, Di Santo
2009: Sturridge
2010: Torres
2011: Lukaku v.1
2012: Victor Moses, Demba Ba (Hazard was successful)
2014: Remy (Costa was successful)
2017: Morata, Giroud
2018: Pulisic
2020: Werner, Havertz, Ziyech
2021: Lukaku v.2
2022: Sterling

crossy1686

career ending
I don’t usually care that much about watching our rivals when they’re in good form unless it’s a big game but at the moment, after United, I can’t wait for the next Chelsea, then Liverpool games. You can add City to that list if they carry on also.

ForeverRed1

No, don’t think so to be honest. Greatest decorated manager of all time in SAF didn’t win as much as the players. So it can be done. You just have to demand respect & be good. There’s players in the United dressing room who have won more than EtH and they respect him
Sir Alex was sensational and special and a manager we probably will never see the likes of again. Unfair to compare. You’re basically comparing potter to greatness in the history of the game and saying it can be done because sir Alex did it. That’s no easy touch.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Seems Chelsea is on a similar path to United over the last 10 years. Trying to buy themselves out of trouble.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If we do that for long enough, every other team will be so shit that we'll win everything. 2000 IQ play from Clearlake.
Boehly is a Woodward level of genius, just a shame the window is isn't open all year round :cool:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Below are some forwards purchased by Chelsea for non-negligible sums for that period.

2003: Crespo, Mutu
2004: Kezman (Drogba & Robben was successful)
2006: Shevchenko (Kalou can be considered partial success)
2007: Pizzaro, Anelka, Di Santo
2009: Sturridge
2010: Torres
2011: Lukaku v.1
2012: Victor Moses, Demba Ba (Hazard was successful)
2014: Remy (Costa was successful)
2017: Morata, Giroud
2018: Pulisic
2020: Werner, Havertz, Ziyech
2021: Lukaku v.2
2022: Sterling
I'll go through them in the context of my first post, that we supposedly just quickly write off flops and take huge loses on a regular basis.

Crespo - wasn't a flop.
Mutu - sacked for drug use.
Kezman - got our money back.
Sheva - fair enough.
Pizzaro - free signing then sold for an undisclosed amount.
Anelka - total success.
Sturridge - semi success then £8m profit made.
Torres - like I said we spent 3 and a half years trying everything in the book to make him work.
Lukaku 1.0 - Made a £10m profit plus whatever loan fees we got from WBA and Everton.
Moses - signed for £9m, won the Europa, PL and FA Cup. The loan fees more than likely made back a large chunk of that fee.
Demba Ba - Signed for 18 months, reliable squad player, made most of the money back.
Remy - £7m back up, filled in when needed adequately, scored some crucial goals en route to the title. Didn't make any money back but more than value for money.
Motata - Made our money back.
Giroud - Massive success all things considered.
Werner - Underwhelming but played a part in our UCL win, got a reasonable fee back all be it a loss.
Lukaku 2.0 - Yes but like I said change of ownership was the reason, Cech as good as confirmed if he/Marina/Roman were still incharge he'd still be here.

The rest are still here.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Chelsea fans are in copium stage right now. "Not much he can do" , "injuries feck him", "players are crap" , "need more time",etc etc. These are the same reasons we use to cope with Moyes back then early during his tenure. Remember "Fergie didnt buy replacement" , "players getting older", "need more time", etc. Sounds familiar ? To all Chelsea fans, we have been there years ago.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Chelsea fans are in copium stage right now. "Not much he can do" , "injuries feck him", "players are crap" , "need more time",etc etc. These are the same reasons we use to cope with Moyes back then early during his tenure. Remember "Fergie didnt buy replacement" , "players getting older", "need more time", etc. Sounds familiar ? To all Chelsea fans, we have been there years ago.
God I despised Moyes after that Christmas period. What a fecking joke that transition was. Gill and SAF to Alvin and Eeyore.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Here's Potters run of results since the winning streak ended:

Draw - Brentford (A) 0-0
Draw - United (H) 1-1
Win - Salzburg (A) 1-2
Loss - Brighton (A) 4-1
Win - Dinamo Zagreb (H) 2-1
Loss - Arsenal (H) 0-1
Loss - City (A) 2-0
Loss - Newcastle (A) 1-0

Win - Bournemouth (H) 2-0
Draw - Nottingham Forest (A) 1-1
Loss - City (H) 0-1
Loss - City (A) 4-0
Loss - Fulham (A) 2-1

I mean it's an awful run of results, but if you actually look at the losses they're all against clubs in the current top 8 of the Premier League. They've played City three times in that period. You can say that injuries are an excuse but with that set of fixtures any Manager would struggle. Reminds me of our set of fixtures last season when we also fell apart and that was without a mini injury crisis.

I will say that Potter was stupid to take on Chelsea, especially mid season. Suicidal.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
God I despised Moyes after that Christmas period. What a fecking joke that transition was. Gill and SAF to Alvin and Eeyore.
Also his press conferences were utter crap. They could send the world population into deep depreession. Remember these gems "make it difficult for newcastle", "aspire to be city's level", "i dont know what to do to win" (the last one still makes my blood boil) ?. I see similarities with Potter's response in the media at the moment.

RuudTom83

Potter needs to finish Top 4 now.

Ole closed a 12-13 point gap correct? Potter only has a 10 point gap to close…should be easy after spending 700 million ;)

SB16

Pressure on Graham Potter is immense right now, if it wasn't already. He's a terrific manager IMO; unclear how much of a say he had on all these transfers. One would hope he's had some influence on it all.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Potter deserves everything he is about to get. What did he expect when he decided to jump ship and become their manager? He’s on borrowed time and he better get top4 or else head guillotine and chop.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
People still are spouting nonsense about Potter being sacked, as if it's Roman in charge.

Boehly gives his people time. I don't expect Potter to be sacked before Xmas. They might even surprise people in the CL if they can just jump over that first hurdle.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Whatever he does now it's not going to be because he's a good manager or not it will be because it's been bought.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Potter deserves everything he is about to get. What did he expect when he decided to jump ship and become their manager? He’s on borrowed time and he better get top4 or else head guillotine and chop.
That's a bit unfair really.

He's left minnows Brighton for Chelsea, any manager would do the same.

I very much doubt he expected it to turn out this wild! I'm not sure he would have wanted to do it this way either.

It's going to take a while to gel this side together and mid season is not the time to get it done.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Chelsea are a top coach and a year away from competing for titles IMO.

Potter is the wrong man, I think Brighton just have a really good set up honestly.

Malone_Post

I’ll be absolutely shocked if he’s still there next season.

Has Moyes vibes written all over him. Completely out of his depth.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's fine. Fofana, Havertz x2 all had golden opportunities to win them the game and they shat it. He needs to drop Havertz and Mount though as soon as he can.

mu4c_20le

Yes. I like Potter and he would do a good job for England I feel. But he's Chelsea's Moyes - should never have replaced a Champions League winning coach like Tommy Tulip.
He shouldn't be anywhere near England. He needs time and an entire dressing room behind his ideas. Brighton is his level, perhaps spurs.