Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

I wonder how you came into that conclusion after his first 45 min ever at this level where he has been okayish.
There is the evidence of him being sent out on loan to Real Madrid B then them not wanting to buy him, nor did any other club persuade us to sell (or loan) him, despite few signs of United actually wanting to keep him (not on summer tour for instance). Most of the more talented United youngsters have a queue of clubs wanting to take them on loan. Varela signed a 5 year deal when he joined; surely United would expect to loan him out until they feel he is ready for first team action ? The fact that he is a 22 year old that until this week was very much an U21 player is not a good sign, especially given how weak the standard of football is at U21 level.

Personally I thought he looked ok both for the first team and whenever I've seen him play for the U21s but if you put all the evidence together, it does suggest he is a very ordinary player. His height is apparently 5'8 so really you would hope he would offer quite a lot going forwards, otherwise there is a danger the negatives dominate the positives.

Anyway, now he has some first team mins perhaps people (managers and coaches at other clubs) will view him differently.

Last edited:

Roboc7

I wonder how you came into that conclusion after his first 45 min ever at this level where he has been okayish.
It's based on his career so far and he clearly isn't that highly rated at the club either because they we re prepared to sell him, he has had to wait for an injury crisis to get a chance and he was behind McNair who isn't even a right back. I said he did ok in the game but difference between that and being good enough to play regularly is massive, too many fans over rate players based on their performances in the reserves and the academy.

khoazany

It's based on his career so far and he clearly isn't that highly rated at the club either because they we re prepared to sell him, he has had to wait for an injury crisis to get a chance and he was behind McNair who isn't even a right back. I said he did ok in the game but difference between that and being good enough to play regularly is massive, too many fans over rate players based on their performances in the reserves and the academy.
Still they have a better stand to judge the player than someone watched sweet zero of them before his debut (not talking about you or Varela's case particularly since I don't rate him as high as some).Context needs to be taken.Too many fans expect the lads to already showcase all of their abilities in their first few appearances which is unrealistic.The step up is massive, much more than signings from other leagues like Memphis so sometimes we need to lower down expectation for them.For example Varela's strength is his abilities on the ball and offensive play but he show next to zero of them on that 45 min cameo.

Last edited:

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Starting tonight. Good luck to him.

cyberman

A lot of managers and fans pay lip service in regards giving youth a chance but feck me LVG walks the walk..

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
A lot of managers and fans pay lip service in regards giving youth a chance but feck me LVG walks the walk..
True that. Got to hand it to Louis, he's been brilliant with offering kids chances this season. Even if it's simply being on the bench, its a great experience for them.

Sam

So Varela is now LVG's flavour of the month youth player? Talk about throwing him in at the deep end.

Good luck lad!

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just checked his wiki and I can't believe he's 23 in 3 months. I thought he was 17-18 when we signed him.

khoazany

Came to United as an 20 years old.Hardly "youth" in its usual meaning.

Would give credit to LVG for having a small squad though.Occasions like this would be more likely to happen than if you fill the squad with experienced backups, which will motivate the young players at the club a lot.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
... because there's literally nobody else to choose from, to be fair. look at that bench!
That's partially deliberate though. LVG said he likes having a small squad and giving the youth at the club a chance when the depth gets tested.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
... because there's literally nobody else to choose from, to be fair. look at that bench!
He reduced the squd because he wanted to give the young ones games. He still deserves credit.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Which side would he be playing on? Can he play on the left? Their two best players are their LB and LW.

m1y2

massive game for him, hope he does well on the right and will bomb forward to support "Hese", hes very capable of that but lets see if he stays back more often or not as it is only his first ever start for our senior team in such important game, I think we will see defensively solid and tidy performance rather than anything ultra special attacking wise, on the other hand we need goals so I think he will be urged to go forward so lets see:-)

Manny

Grammar Police
That was not a good half

Not existent going forward, falling about and bad positioning in defense.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Really? Positionally he has been awful so far and nearly all their dangerous play has been down the left. On the plus side he seems to have a first touch which can't be said for all in the team at the moment.
Yeah wasn't going to post as I didn't have much positive to say

But I will , thought he looked well out of his depth at times

But it's hardly a surprise

khoazany

Really? Positionally he has been awful so far and nearly all their dangerous play has been down the left. On the plus side he seems to have a first touch which can't be said for all in the team at the moment.
I don't think his positioning has been that awful.He has been left alone in many occasions so far.A bit shaky yes but I think it's encouraging performance actually.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Can cross, which is an anomaly for a United FB/winger these days. Doesn't look good doing anything else.

khoazany

Very good second half from him.Show a lot of energy needed and made some good tackles.

kundalini

I was impressed. Yes he did fall over far too often but he performed with plenty of energy, especially in the 2nd half. Difficult to tell if his positioning was ok or not.

Devil may care

Owen Hargreaves agreed with me. :nervous:

Really good outing from him I felt, you could see his confidence on the ball growing as the game went on.

FromTheBench

He had some shocking positional moments today though.

Bailed out by poor schurrle finish once and 2nd time by a De Gea save of Lingard toe poke.

JohnnyLaw

The one and only positive from tonight. Very impressive performance considering what he had to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.