Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammerfell

I'm convinced he's never had a bad game and anyone who disagrees is a liar.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I'm convinced he's never had a bad game and anyone who disagrees is a liar.
I was thinking this. He has looked a-bit average in some games but has he genuinely had a poor game so far?
I am possibly his biggest fan on here and even I will tell you that he was poor against Bournemouth but there were obviously cracks appearing in our defence even at that point in terms of injuries so it was to be expected but Wolfsburg, Derby, Shrews and tonight he has been class.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Do we really have to thank Moyes for him? Can we just not.

Devil may care

Very good performance, he's got some great footwork to go with his pace, obviously he didn't have a lot to do defensively but in attack he was class, the type of fullback you need when playing with inverted wide forwards.

RU Devil

He's good going forward but his problem comes defensively usually.
Yeah, the two youngsters at FB were definitely bombing forward pell mell, but I was really impressed with Varela's assist on Rashford's 2nd goal. Took out all of the defenders with his pass.

Darmian is definitely a better defender, but Varela seems to offer more on the other end. If LVG's philosophy is really to control the ball & attack, then Varela should be the one, as we'd be more likely to be on the other end of the pitch and not having to worry so much on defense. But will LVG really gamble that much? Doubt it. Maybe horses for courses and have Varela start for specific teams.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Has done as well as he could in his first team career so far! Has earned himself a slot in the first team squad next year as back up to Valencia ans Darmian at right back.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I am possibly his biggest fan on here and even I will tell you that he was poor against Bournemouth but there were obviously cracks appearing in our defence even at that point in terms of injuries so it was to be expected but Wolfsburg, Derby, Shrews and tonight he has been class.
LIAR!

bucky

I just don't understand why we haven't trusted him earlier. Hopefully he continues like that. He looks confident and plays well.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Unsung hero for us tonight. Absolutely monster game going forward and not too shabby defensively as well.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I've always liked his attacking stuff, but it's the defensive side of his game that I'm uncertain on. But considering nobody else has laid a proper claim on it, he's got a good chance to lock down that right back spot if he keeps playing well like that.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I've always liked his attacking stuff, but it's the defensive side of his game that I'm uncertain on. But considering nobody else has laid a proper claim on it, he's got a good chance to lock down that right back spot if he keeps playing well like that.
FWIW their best player (one who is being scouted by a few top clubs) was up against him and he only got involved when he moved away from Varela.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Great tonight. Zidane has said he's the real deal so must be true.

FromTheBench

Would like to see Riley getting a go at RB too maybe.

podurban2

We were really close to selling him too weren't we?
From what I recall he was the forgotten man at OT and his departure began to look inevitable. He turns 23 in a month, hopefully he can keep improving.

bucky

Story on here is a page or so back but Genoa wanted him on loan, when Varela's camp approached van Gaal with it he said no as he was going to play. So an offer was there but it wasn't close to getting off the ground.
I think there were rumours about selling him, when he returned from Madrid. That's what I was thinking of.

Manny

Grammar Police
Me three.

Looked great again tonight. Loving his intent to get forward. Something Darmian sorely misses.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Thought he was tremendous. Did very well against Sisto and was brilliant in our attacking play.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Has about of Rafael about him. Love it. Makes me miss Rafa as well, but great to see a right back attacking like he has been.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's so much more composed on the ball than darmian, he keeps the ball close in tight areas which allows him to move much better in small space. Darmian hasn't figured that part of the game out well yet which is important.

I love his enthusiasm to get forward too, it's take a touch, forward pass and then overlap or move higher up the pitch.

Yes individually he's never going to be the best defender in the world, but a good attacking outlet is even more important for us at times, and he's certainly the best, even better than Valencia arguably.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
From what I recall he was the forgotten man at OT and his departure began to look inevitable. He turns 23 in a month, hopefully he can keep improving.
Didn't realize he was that old. Not a proper kid then?!

Status
Not open for further replies.