2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

jeepers

Yeah bullshit what does this "Don" know, he's not even a United fan.

Strelok

So clearly he's still raw, and in need of polishing all the parts of his game - but he's definitely got all the raw materials to make a good #8 / hybrid 8/10 if we coach him well, give him some opportunities, and he shows the right attitude and willingness to learn and all that.
Agree.

I feel pretty the same. He got all the raw materials to be become a very good hybird 8. I haven't watched the pre season matches but based on the highlights and this thread he was simply trying too hard imo. And we should not take anything seriously from a pre season friendly those mean pretty nothing tbh. Anyway at least we could see his face quite a lot in the highlights which mean he's involved in the game and do not let it pass him by. Which is actually a good thing for a young midfielder imo.

Midfielder is the most difficult position to play imo and most midfielders don't mature until they reach 22-23 yo. Sometime even much later. The thing is he needs to play regularly and some good coaching. To know how to be at the right place at the right time and do the right thing consistenly. Probably the most important thing for any good midfielder imo.

Choosing his next loan would be very crucial in his development. I really wish we'd have the luxury to allow him to develop here under ETH but that's quite difficult almost impossible as the league is too competitive now and ETH must get the results.

Glorio

Most players don't turn it around like Bruno. But also yeah you can't write off Hannibal, but at the same time he has to do better at his loans and when he gets a chance. Because his current loans haven't gone that well.

If I had to guess, I'd say he won't make it here. Don't think he has enough talent/smarts to his game and to be a creative midfielder at United, we are talking about being one of the best 5-10 in his position in the world. I don't see that in him.
He's had only one loan and did fine playing in a team that frequently bypassed the midfield. As I've mentioned here already - he had the most assists per 90.

I think he's destined to be an 8. Here or not, we'll see. With his dribbling and passing ability combined with a lot of heart, I think he'll be a serious footballer somewhere with the right coach, and I hope it's here.

Someone does need to whisper in his ear to relax a bit and let his talent shine through. Looking a bit too eager at times, but as someone has said here, has done more than some of his more senior colleagues in the midfield so far during this preseason

NoPace

Just don’t see it with him. Works hard and technique is ok but not really all that special on the ball. Plus discipline doesn’t seem to be getting any better over the years.
This seems fair. I think this year's loan should probably be to a team that presses high, that seems like his best attribute.

Faetheshire86

I think the headless chicken, chaotic, critique of Hannibal is pretty lazy. He is playing #10, he has the licence to get forward and drop deep when required. He also plays with intensity and aggression, which is nice to see in a young player. Technically he is good, has a lovely weight of pass, and carries the ball well.

I do think he needs to start influencing games more. Being a tidy player, isn't going to be good enough. He needs to add an extra dimension to his game, be it goals, assists or something else. We've seen sparks of this in the 90 minutes he's played, but if he want's to stake a claim for being part of the squad for next season, we need to see more end product.

That said, I don't think another loan would be the end of the world. Although I do hope we pick the team very carefully. He needs to play in a possession based side.

flameinthesun

I'd be okay selling him with a buy back clause or first refusal option. Our trend with youngsters is that despite how highly we rate them as youngsters if they are not really breaking into the team around 18 e.g. Rashford, Garnacho, Greenwood, Januzaj etc then more likely than not they aren't really missed when we have let them go. Gomes, Andreas, Tuanzebe, williams, Eikrem etc all have been highly rated or captain of the u21s, u18s etc and all have been either let go or have hung around not doing much. Think the only one who got into the first team slightly older was Mctominay. So for me Mejbri is 19, hes a good player but not spectacular, the likelihood is that if we let him go there is a 99% chance he won't be missed.

aeh1991

We can praise him how much we want, unfortunately it doesn't really seem like Ten Hag rates him enough to become a first team player. I hope I am wrong.

Edwards6

Hopefully he'll get a loan in the Premier league, he's got potential but can't see him getting many minutes if he stays

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We can praise him how much we want, unfortunately it doesn't really seem like Ten Hag rates him enough to become a first team player. I hope I am wrong.
You might be wrong though. He was clearly given a key role for the match against Wrexham -- played the entire game, changed roles too. ETH wants to see what he is like given a difficult but leadership role.

flameinthesun

You might be wrong though. He was clearly given a key role for the match against Wrexham -- played the entire game, changed roles too. ETH wants to see what he is like given a difficult but leadership role.
Personally I think you are reading too much into it. Sometimes the simple answers are the best answers. If he was good enough or Ten Hag had plans for him then he would be with Mainoo, Amad, Garnacho etc with the first team. But he's not, he's basically playing with the reserves in this game which tells you all you need to know.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Personally I think you are reading too much into it. Sometimes the simple answers are the best answers. If he was good enough or Ten Hag had plans for him then he would be with Mainoo, Amad, Garnacho etc with the first team. But he's not, he's basically playing with the reserves in this game which tells you all you need to know.
Most likely because he will go on loan.

Kramer

I don’t get why he’s being played as a 10 or even a false 9 at times.

This kid is a pure action box to box 8 if ever I saw one.

His development is at a critical juncture at this point. I do feel he has a future as a PL player. Several attributes that are desirable in a United player as well.

Could go either way. But hope he gets a chance at United. For this season, need a PL or championship loan.

Bertie Wooster

Or both might be true?

Yeah, Hannibal playing v Wrexham rather than in the Madrid game is probably indicative that he's going to be loaned out this season rather than be a part of the first team squad.

But that's not a suggestion that, long term, ETH doesn't see a potential future with United. Just that he's not ready yet - probably physically and tactically rather than technically - and that he has plenty of experienced players ahead of him in the CAM roles so it's better for his development at this stage that he plays regularly out on loan.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

His development is at a critical juncture at this point. I do feel he has a future as a PL player. Several attributes that are desirable in a United player as well.

Could go either way. But hope he gets a chance at United. For this season, need a PL or championship loan.
Was the same story last summer in pre season also.

I think it's clear that ETH doesn't rate him and isn't going to make any serious attempts to integrate him, he'll be sold within a year I reckon.

Bertie Wooster

The false 9 is a huge mistake. The number 10 role I get as part of his development - as he has the technique and vision for that role, and it's good for his development to put that playmaker responsibility on him at times to try to hone his end product in and around the box.

But, yeah, I think he's very suited to a box to box number 8 role - or that hybrid 8/10 role. His mix of good touch and technique with high energy and desire means he can contribute on and off the ball and get up and down and about the pitch well. He just needs to start putting all that raw potential together into more complete performances - but he certainly has the attributes needed to be a very good #8.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Or both might be true?

Yeah, Hannibal playing v Wrexham rather than in the Madrid game is probably indicative that he's going to be loaned out this season rather than be a part of the first team squad.

But that's not a suggestion that, long term, ETH doesn't see a potential future with United. Just that he's not ready yet - probably physically and tactically rather than technically - and that he has plenty of experienced players ahead of him in the CAM roles so it's better for his development at this stage that he plays regularly out on loan.
He is not ready to start for sure. I suspect ETH wants to get an idea of what sort of player he has on-hand. He is quite press resistant and good at driving the ball forward. Tenacious, high energy. Fearless.

The question is how does he fit into an ETH system. And I don't think ETH knows yet. Thus a loan.

Last edited:

prateik

I hope he gets a loan where he gets regular minutes.. Hopefully a PL club.. or maybe a different league.

He wont get enough meaningful minutes here this season.. He needs to nail down a position and play regularly.. He has a lot going for him...

Blood Mage

Can maybe see him as a future PL player but not as a United player. Not quite good enough.

Idxomer

What was Bruno doing at his age? Exactly.

The kid has bags of talent and heart to match. The only thing that he needs work on is temperament. Mind you, that's also the case with Bruno and Antony.

I watched that first half thinking that these rumours linking him with a sale cannot be true. Would be so daft. At worst he needs a loan to a good footballing side, at best he stays and becomes a proper United player.
Not that bad actually. As a 19-year-old in Serie A, he had 4 goals and 6 assists in 24 games. He had some less productive seasons after that though while only being a squad player. This proves the point that development isn't linear but also Bruno is such a specific case and had a bit of an unusual trajectory.

flameinthesun

Or both might be true?

Definitely doesn't mean Ten Hag is not thinking of him but if we are being realistic he's 20, being loaned out, likely to go out on loan again. When we look at academy graduates in the last 10/15/20 years who have followed the same progression as him at his age very few end up in the united team. Mct is an anomaly, then you could say Andreas was given a chance. Who else? Can't really think of anyone else. Its more likely than not that he won't make it at united. Add in that you have Mainoo at 18 already pushing for a spot in the squad who can play in that 8 position, then Bruno, Amad, Sancho, Donny, Mount who can play the 10, his chances are looking slim. Not saying he can't break into the team but having seen mannyyyy youth mid/cam prospects come and go I am doubtful.

khoazany

Realisically he would have to compete with Bruno, Erikssen and Mount for his best role in the squad (a 8/10 hybrid). So yeah I think a PL loan this season to prove himself is the best option. Good talent but at the end of the day you play your best players so he'll at least needs to prove himself that he can be a better option than Mount, or someone that can replace Erikssen when he calls it a day. Tough ask.

I don't count VdB because I have no doubt that he'll be moved on once we have a buyer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don’t think a PL club would take him/play him enough this season. He has unfinished business in the championship if he can get a stronger team to join. Or else a left field club in the Europa league.
Yeah, he didn't really stand out in the championship. In fact, take out the context of what he did from set pieces and his stats on fbref look quite bad compared to other championship midfielders. He's nowhere near ready for a PL loan.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He started the match a bit rough, but got better the longer it went. Though he was easily the best player on the pitch in the second half when he dropped into a deeper role.

Yeah, he didn't really stand out in the championship. In fact, take out the context of what he did from set pieces and his stats on fbref look quite bad compared to other championship midfielders. He's nowhere near ready for a PL loan.
To be fair I think that was largely due to the entire gameplan of his team. Birmingham just bypassed the midfield most of the time from everything I heard. Going there was good in terms of getting minutes, but if we're loaning him out again I really hope he goes somewhere that tries to play a style more suitable to him showing what he can do in possession.

Personally I tend to think a loan to a decent German or French team might be the way to go.

NotQuiteManc

He has the talents, but I think he needs a loan for a season or two to develop the physicality to play 40 to 50 games a season which hopefully would include playing in any European cup games.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Was the same story last summer in pre season also.

I think it's clear that ETH doesn't rate him and isn't going to make any serious attempts to integrate him, he'll be sold within a year I reckon.
Can maybe see him as a future PL player but not as a United player. Not quite good enough.
Agree with both of these takes

CM

I'm not convinced he's ready for a Premier League loan move yet, I'm yet to see it with him at senior level. I think a loan to somewhere like Leicester would be a good gauge of where he's at - in a team who are expected to have most of the ball and showcase his best attributes. Then we can make a decision on whether it's worth keeping him around or cashing in next summer.

mu4c_20le

He did fine at Birmingham. I'd like to see a loan to the French league, can see him doing well there and learning a lot.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It seems pretty clear he's not entirely fancied and will likely leave the club permanently next Summer if not this one. A shame too, because I really like him.

RuudTom83

Says a lot that he is playing with the kids when Mainoo is with the first team. Doesn’t seem to bode well for the lad.
True.

Looks like Hannibal is at the back of a fairly long queue atm. Even if McFred leave, I think they will be replaced rather than move Hannibal closer to the first team.

Probably best he finds another loan.

Ekeke

Our best player overall against Wrexham but he should be standing out against this quality of opposition and hurting them, if hes going to be an offensive player. Doesnt look as good as Mainoo at this point. Another loan to the championship or try to get the £8.5 million or so back from his purchase. Chong was sold by Birmingham to Luton for £4 millon and he was better for Birmingham last season than Hannibal. Obviously Hannibal is also 3 years younger so take that into account, but it'd be hard to argue he's worth double Chong.

Velvet Revolver

The mysterious way in which we work. We will sell him for 5 million next year and then buy another youngster for 20.

What happened to developing young players to be first team ready.

Paul778

The mysterious way in which we work. We will sell him for 5 million next year and then buy another youngster for 20.

We need to get more dominant in games so they can get 20 mins of first team football regularly and play in a functioning team, not a team of misfits in the early rounds of the cups.

Ekeke

We are, just not the ones you want?

Garnacho last season, Mainoo seemingly this season and we're yet to see but maybe Amad too.

If he had done better on loan like Amad or Garner he might have had more chances.